× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 5 of 5 visibility 1681

Muslim school 'may have to close'

brightness_1
    LI News Service
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

A Muslim school for girls in Oxford may be forced to close because it cannot afford to stay open.

The Iqra Girls' School needed to raise £2m by the end of July to buy the building it currently rents.

Hanna Khan, 16, said its closure would be the end of her education because she does not want to attend mixed classes.

The school is in talks with the council to become voluntary-aided, meaning its governing body would decide admissions but it would be state-funded.

About 20% of English state schools are voluntary-aided, with links to the Church of England or the Roman Catholic Church.

start quote rb 1 - Muslim school 'may have to close' If worse comes to worse, I'll have to send my daughter home to Pakistan, which I don't want to end quote rb 1 - Muslim school 'may have to close'
    Khalid Khan
    Parent

Hanna, who wants to become a doctor or a vet, said: "If I didn't have this school, then that is really it for me. "It's this school or nothing for me. That would be the end of my education."

Parents said they were looking at other options for their daughters, including schooling them at home, or sending them abroad.

"I am really worried, I don't know yet," parent Anwar Hussain said about his daughter.

"Maybe she goes to a new boarding school, or maybe I'll send her to Bangladesh, I don't know."

Another parent, Khalid Khan, said: "If worse comes to worse, I'll have to send my daughter home to Pakistan, which I don't want to."

The Iqra Girls' School was set up in 2003 after the closure of the last all-girls state school in Oxford.

It provides national curriculum subjects as well as Islamic studies within an Islamic environment.

Source

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Sahabiyaat's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    in a universe..in a galaxy...on a planet in a country in a state in AN area in a house in a room:)
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Muslim school 'may have to close'

Pakistan

How is that going to make things better!

Why are the parents being so radical!, If their paying for their daughters education, they can just send them to another islamic fee paying school.

The school is in talks with the council to become voluntary-aided, meaning its governing body would decide admissions but it would be state-funded.
    This is an okay option for the school rather than closing down altogether .Would being state funded mean losing control of admissions or more?

My heart, so precious,
    I won't trade for a hundred thousand souls.
    Your one smile takes it for free.Rumi
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Osman View Post
    [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]A Muslim school for girls in Oxford may be forced to close because it cannot afford to stay open.[COLOR=#153e7e]Hanna Khan, 16, said its closure would be the end of her education because she does not want to attend mixed classes.
    If her ambitions are to become a doctor or a vet her dislike of mixed classes could pose a problem. Are there any single sex universities in the UK?
    chat Quote

Sahabiyaat's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    in a universe..in a galaxy...on a planet in a country in a state in AN area in a house in a room:)
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

not at all
    otherwise i would have gone

My heart, so precious,
    I won't trade for a hundred thousand souls.
    Your one smile takes it for free.Rumi
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Al-Zaara's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    made of awesome.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint View Post
    If her ambitions are to become a doctor or a vet her dislike of mixed classes could pose a problem. Are there any single sex universities in the UK?
    I was thinking the same.

If only I had checked myself
    Guy who wrecked himself

True leaders don't create followers...
    .... They create new leaders.
    chat Quote

8. Hide
Hey there! Muslim school 'may have to close' Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Muslim school 'may have to close'