× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 15 of 15 visibility 2270

So I was watching some Ramadan programme on BBC1

SixTen's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

It had a couple who had converted to Islam a few years ago. He told his story, of how he found muslims to be such a great community. He was from Gambiya, where he told as to just the manner of muslims, like how charitable they were - how giving they were. How, when he would walk pass muslims who were eating rice from a plate, they would not continue until he sat down and ate with them. He asked them why they do so much, they answered "This is Islam".

It is indeed, a forgotten dawah in western countries (from my experience anyway). Muslims seem very detached to everyone else, so the disbelivers get a negative view of muslims. If they all were shown the beuty, wouldn't have that been the best dawah to them.

This isn't new things, we have heard many people converting from just having good experiences from muslims. I guess this is just a reminder.

Wasalams.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    wildkat's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: So I was watching some Ramadan programme on BBC1

What was the programme called?
    chat Quote

Hamayun's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Allahu Akbar
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The programme was called "Funny thing about Ramadan"

To be honest I found it very annoying. It was presented by this woman who was gonna do the first fast of her life and she was making such a big deal out of it.

She was making it sound like fasting was some sort of life endangering daredevil act.

I didn't like it.
    chat Quote

DaNgErOuS MiNdS's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ I just caught the last bit where some lady said i might even keep another fast and the it finished.

Take a Visit

Madarak 1 - So I was watching some Ramadan programme on BBC1We'll make you dizzy
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Re.TiReD's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    LI Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen View Post
    It had a couple who had converted to Islam a few years ago. He told his story, of how he found muslims to be such a great community. He was from Gambiya, where he told as to just the manner of muslims, like how charitable they were - how giving they were. How, when he would walk pass muslims who were eating rice from a plate, they would not continue until he sat down and ate with them. He asked them why they do so much, they answered "This is Islam".

It is indeed, a forgotten dawah in western countries (from my experience anyway). Muslims seem very detached to everyone else, so the disbelivers get a negative view of muslims. If they all were shown the beuty, wouldn't have that been the best dawah to them.

This isn't new things, we have heard many people converting from just having good experiences from muslims. I guess this is just a reminder.

Wasalams.
    AssalamuAlaykum

Masha'Allah. This is the first I've heard about this programme but it is indeed true that showing non-Muslims the beauty of Islam can be the best Da'wah.

Invite all to the way of Your Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching. And argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious. [16.125]

WassalamuAlaykum
    Last edited by Re.TiReD; 09-16-2008 at 01:05 PM.

s a b r
    chat Quote

SixTen's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun View Post
    The programme was called "Funny thing about Ramadan"

To be honest I found it very annoying. It was presented by this woman who was gonna do the first fast of her life and she was making such a big deal out of it.

She was making it sound like fasting was some sort of life endangering daredevil act.

I didn't like it.

I agree somewhat, however atleast she did try it - and she did educate alot of people about ramadan positivly as a whole in my opinion.
    chat Quote

wildkat's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun View Post
    I didn't like it.
    I just watched it now, didnt like it either.. god that woman was so annoying!!
    But I was amazed by the story of those two sisters, medina and.. (cant remember the other one lol)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

it is still available to view on BBC iPlayer (looks like a comedy program to me)
    chat Quote

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ but WHY?

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim View Post
    ^ but WHY?
    I only watched the first one minute (or so) of it, the very atmosphere made me feel ill you've got to watch it to appreciate it, I just cant get past the first minute nor can I explain why (without it being seen as me insulting some person/faith/creed/sect or the other).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dczz3/
    Last edited by doorster; 09-11-2008 at 11:49 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    LI News Service
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I just watched it, it wasn't exactly my dream fulfilled but it was better than nothing. Sukina Douglas (from the couple you are talking about, I think) is one of the presenters of city sisters on Islam Channel which my mum watches.

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)
    chat Quote

Tania's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I can't see BBC1 but from what i read until now i don't understand where is the funny thing from Ramadhan.
    chat Quote

Z-Blade's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen View Post

Wasalams.
    Indeed, it's about leading by example more than anything, and Shaykh Khalid Yaseen was saying something like that in a talk, he said something like "Invite them over for dinner. But no, these days Muslims don't want to do that, you wanna give da'wah to them in the corriders, outside on the street and other places. " etc. blah.

format_quote Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя View Post
    Invite all to the way of Your Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching. And argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious. [6.125]
    I guess there's a reason why Allah said invite to the way of Your Lord with WISDOM first before anything? :')

It's actually Surah 16 though, not 6 :

16:125
    ادْعُ إِلِى سَبِيلِ رَبِّكَ بِالْحِكْمَةِ وَالْمَوْعِظَةِ الْحَسَنَةِ وَجَادِلْهُم بِالَّتِي هِيَ أَحْسَنُ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ هُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِمَن ضَلَّ عَن سَبِيلِهِ وَهُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِالْمُهْتَدِينَ
    invite with wisdom and fair preaching, and argue with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.

Though from the tafsir Wisdom (Hikmah) means this:

Allah commands His Messenger Muhammad to invite the people to Allah with Hikmah (wisdom). Ibn Jarir said: "That is what was revealed to him from the Book and the Sunnah.''

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=16&tid=28368

Wassalam.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's actually Surah 16 though, not 6 :
    typing error?
    you wanna give da'wah to them in the corriders, outside on the street and other places. " etc. blah.
    people do what they are able to do (according to their circumstance). Not all of us are in position of or have resources of khalid yasin

Ma'asalaama
    Last edited by doorster; 09-14-2008 at 04:45 PM.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Re.TiReD's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    LI Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by doorster View Post
    typing error?
    JazakAllah khayr

s a b r
    chat Quote

20. Hide
Hey there! So I was watching some Ramadan programme on BBC1 Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. So I was watching some Ramadan programme on BBC1