star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The Jewel of Medina

Report bad ads?

Im not sure if this has been discussed before i joined, or not but i recently came across an article about a book called "The Jewel Of Medina" a fictional account about the life of Hazrat Ayesha.

The novel tells Aisha's story from the age of six, when she was betrothed to Muhammad, to his death.

It is fiction, obviously but what do ye think of it?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: The Jewel of Medina

whoever wrote the book is an attention seeking evil woman.
    its an outright insult even if it is fictional. why the heck did the author use the prophet muhamed and ayesha radhiallahu anha for her story?
    because shes actually a crap writer and thinks the only way she can make money and get fame is cause controversy?
    my opinion of it all.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Please can we not insult people without knowing them.

@ first poster, can you please describe the books contents InshaaAllaah?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I searched it...and it has a picture of a girl on the cover who I'm presuming is meant to look like our beloved Sayyida Aysha (Radiallahu Anha). <_< And Asra Nomani has defended the book when Random House cancelled on publishing because they feared a similar outrage that was displayed during the Satanic Verses publication, which says a lot right there. lol.

"I'm devastated," Ms. Jones told me after the book got spiked, adding, "I wanted to honor Aisha and all the wives of Muhammad by giving voice to them, remarkable women whose crucial roles in the shaping of Islam have so often been ignored -- silenced -- by historians."
    ^ Wow, I had no clue that they were silenced and finally 1429 years years later they are getting the respect they deserved...through a novel about love and lust?! Uh, ok...

Apparently, according to some non Muslims who read it, it was poorly written anyway. Go figure.

UT professor's complaints lead to cancellation of book about Muhammad's wife

Author defends her book as historical fiction, says it has minor deviations from facts

By Edward Nawotka
    SPECIAL TO THE AMERICAN-STATESMAN
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A University of Texas professor alerted Ballantine Books this spring that a novel it planned to publish about a wife of the Prophet Muhammad contained historical inaccuracies, and she said the book might spark violent protests.

Weeks later, Ballantine decided to cancel the book, which was scheduled to be published this week. Now the professor, Denise Spellberg, is at the center of a publishing controversy that has brought her a flood of hate mail.

In April, Spellberg, an associate professor in the Department of History and the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, was asked by Ballantine, a division of Random House, to write a promotional blurb for a forthcoming historical novel, "The Jewel of Medina," by Sherry Jones. The book is based on the life of Muhammad's young wife Aisha.

Spellberg is an expert on Aisha; her 1994 scholarly work, "Politics, Gender, & the Islamic Past: The Legacy of A'isha bint Abi Bakr," was cited as a source by Jones on her Web site.

But Spellberg was appalled by Jones' book. "The characterization of Aisha as a sexualized being, swinging a sword around and who taught others to use a weapon, was an egregious abuse of her life," she told the American-Statesman. (Spellberg allowed a Statesman editor to sit in her office and skim the manuscript.)

Spellberg, coincidentally, has a contract with Random House to write a nonfiction book titled "Thomas Jefferson's Quran." On April 30, she called her editor and recommended that "The Jewel of Medina" not be published. "Not just because of its potential to provoke violence," said Spellberg, who worried that a small minority of Muslims might respond violently to the book. "But also because, as a historian, I objected to the fact that it was a deliberately distorted view of an important female religious figure."
    Source
    The Jewel of Medina

"...You are my Walî in this world and in the Hereafter. Cause me to die as a Muslim, and join me with the righteous." [Surah Yusuf 101]
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    The Ruler's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hah. I think I want to read the book.
    The Jewel of Medina

chat Quote

Playwright's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Liúyú de Lian View Post
    Hah. I think I want to read the book.

I fully intend to buy this books, as soon it is off the press. For Ignorance is a crime. Then i'll make my decision
    chat Quote

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You do that!... ignorance is indeed a crime, but what is worst than ignorance than having the wrong perception and passing it off as proper knowledge?

btw I had been meaning to reply to your other thread which was closed, infractions are handed for restarting a closed topic, so I'll let it go.. but to sum it up, perhaps you can save us the platitudes when writing and offer something of a bit more substance? There is more to a debate than simply replying with commonplaces, there is reason and logic for and against propositions that go well beyond your own perception of free will or divine decree.

cheers
    The Jewel of Medina

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - The Jewel of Medina

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine View Post

btw I had been meaning to reply to your other thread which was closed, infractions are handed for restarting a closed topic, so I'll let it go.. but to sum it up, perhaps you can save us the platitudes when writing and offer something of a bit more substance? There is more to a debate than simply replying with commonplaces, there is reason and logic for and against propositions that go well beyond your own perception of free will or divine decree.

cheers

And yet you just did. Very well, i will not rise to your bait.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by amani View Post
    whoever wrote the book is an attention seeking evil woman.
    its an outright insult even if it is fictional. ....
    jazakillah khair wasalam alakum

May Allah keep your courage up and grant your pen/typing fingers more power!!

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Playwright View Post
    And yet you just did. Very well, i will not rise to your bait.
    No I really didn't.. I think you need to familiarize yourself with the linguistics of the word 'debate'-- there was no exchange here, there is simply impressing upon you that more goes into a debate than common logotypes and ready quips!

cheers
    The Jewel of Medina

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - The Jewel of Medina

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You do that!... ignorance is indeed a crime, but what is worst than ignorance than having the wrong perception and passing it off as proper knowledge?

cheers
    trouble maker was written all over his first thread hence me saying that it stank/reeked (of hidden agenda)

Heya

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by doorster View Post
    trouble maker was written all over his first thread hence me saying that it stank/reeked (of hidden agenda)

Heya

I am not aggrieved by what he wishes to do, he has already defined indeed for us his inclinations.. I'd find it somewhat disheartening however, if a Muslim put money in the pocket of a known mountebank, who isn't merely jumping on the anti-Islamic rhetoric bandwagon, if for nothing else of raising controversy but to make a quick buck and feed her histrionism and has no real knowledge of the topic.. for what is wrong with Islamic books on the matter? Would you personally purchase a book for physiology by Ganong's or marc Rothko?

The Jewel of Medina

chat Quote

Abdu-l-Majeed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Serbs wanted to publish that book, however, after the Islamic Community in Serbia (not to mix up with IC of Serbia) reacted they didn't publish it...
    The Jewel of Medina

In times of difficulties don't ever say, "Allah, I have a big problem!", say "Hey problem, I have a big Allah!"
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Honestly, by buying the book all i hope to do is make an informed decision.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Would you personally purchase a book for physiology by Ganong's or marc Rothko?

nope! (or any like this one to contribute in enriching any self-hating approval seekers)

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdu-l-Majeed View Post
    Serbs wanted to publish that book, however, after the Islamic Community in Serbia (not to mix up with IC of Serbia) reacted they didn't publish it...

there is some 60,000 anti-ISlamic books out there, I'd rather we collectively not react to it, than do only to boost their sales, they will do it with or without our approval. I much rather they show themselves as the islamophobes that they are and lose money insha'Allah doing it.. the way the U.S is going bankrupt on illegal wars that it has waged against all Muslims...

the verse in suret Al-Anfal really comes to mind whenever I think of what they do

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ يُنفِقُونَ أَمْوَالَهُمْ لِيَصُدُّواْ عَن سَبِيلِ اللّهِ فَسَيُنفِقُونَهَا ثُمَّ تَكُونُ عَلَيْهِمْ حَسْرَةً ثُمَّ يُغْلَبُونَ وَالَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ إِلَى جَهَنَّمَ يُحْشَرُونَ {36}
    [Pickthal 8:36] Lo! those who disbelieve spend their wealth in order that they may debar (men) from the way of Allah. They will spend it, then it will become an anguish for them, then they will be conquered. And those who disbelieve will be gathered unto hell,

The Jewel of Medina

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I was thinking about all this something along those lines, however, I was reading "The Mirage in Iran" and in the intro, Sh. Bilal Philips says that we have to react n the evil that spreads as that is one of the basics: an-nahy 'ani-l-munkar.
    The Jewel of Medina

In times of difficulties don't ever say, "Allah, I have a big problem!", say "Hey problem, I have a big Allah!"
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sob7an Allah.. I have a book by Ibn Kathir's prophecies of the end, that speaks of all the evil in the end coming from the east...

I used to respect Iranians but they do so many evil things I can't avert my eyes too..

we should do something indeed.. for starters we need to get organized as one body, now, everyone is off on a tangent fighting their thing, it does more harm than good. You can't start an epic from the middle, then it would make no sense...

The Jewel of Medina

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Is that Al-Bidayah wan-Nihayah, the work of al-Imam Ibn Katheer you're talking about.
    The Jewel of Medina

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sh. Bilal Philips says that we have to react
    I believe Dr. Philips and I do react by boycotting Iran as much as I possibly can (and I try my best to distance myself from them!

I react to anti-Islaamic books too (by not buying them)

wa salaam alaikum
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! The Jewel of Medina Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. The Jewel of Medina