× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 36 visibility 18526

Becoming an imam

rpwelton's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Becoming an imam

Report bad ads?

As I struggle to find out what kind of career I want in this life, I find myself being drawn more and more towards becoming an imam. I enjoy teaching people, and I am very passionate about Islam, even though I've only been a Muslim for about a year now.

I work in the finance industry right now, and although it's OK and the money is pretty good, I just don't see myself lasting in this field for the long term. The thought of becoming an imam, however, is obviously not motivated by monetary purposes. As I continue to think about this as a possible position for me in the future, I'm curious about a few things:

1) I know that Imams must go through extensive schooling to become educated about all facets of Islam and learn arabic (for those whose native tongue is not arabic). Most Imams that I know have been educated overseas, but is that a necessity? Are there any good schools in the US or Canada that can prepare one with the kind of knowledge one needs to be an imam?

2) What is the average salary for an imam in the US? It feels like kind of the wrong question to ask, but after all we have to pay bills and feed our families. I realize that it will be a significant pay cut from any kind of corporate job I could get.

Also, in regards to the above question, how do Imams make enough to support their families? I have a well-paying job, but if my wife did not work we would literally be living paycheck to packcheck. Since I would probably make about half as much as an Imam, I'm not sure how I could adequately support a family.

Jazakallahirn!
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    The Ruler's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Becoming an imam

format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton View Post
    1) I know that Imams must go through extensive schooling to become educated about all facets of Islam and learn arabic (for those whose native tongue is not arabic). Most Imams that I know have been educated overseas, but is that a necessity? Are there any good schools in the US or Canada that can prepare one with the kind of knowledge one needs to be an imam?
    Being educated overseas is not a necessity. Those imaams just have a higher demand. Sometimes. But to be an Imaam, you'll need to be able to learn fluent arabic and be able to understand the Qur'an in arabic. Just knowing translations will leave you at a disadvantage. I say this because I heard it from my dad who's an Imaam. I cannot recommend any schools in US or Canada, as I don't live there.

2) What is the average salary for an imam in the US? It feels like kind of the wrong question to ask, but after all we have to pay bills and feed our families. I realize that it will be a significant pay cut from any kind of corporate job I could get.
    In the UK, and average Imaam would probably get less than $20k per annum. Most apply for child benefits to be able to support their family.
    Becoming an imam

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It doesn't feel right to bump my own thread, but I'd really like more people to chime in if they've got some advice.
    chat Quote

AnonymousPoster's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anonymous
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

As I struggle to find out what kind of career I want in this life, I find myself being drawn more and more towards becoming an imam. I enjoy teaching people, and I am very passionate about Islam, even though I've only been a Muslim for about a year now.

I work in the finance industry right now, and although it's OK and the money is pretty good, I just don't see myself lasting in this field for the long term. The thought of becoming an imam, however, is obviously not motivated by monetary purposes. As I continue to think about this as a possible position for me in the future, I'm curious about a few things:

Also, in regards to the above question, how do Imams make enough to support their families? I have a well-paying job, but if my wife did not work we would literally be living paycheck to packcheck. Since I would probably make about half as much as an Imam, I'm not sure how I could adequately support a family.

Jazakallahirn!

have you heard of or are you near to
    Institute of Islamic Studies - McGill University

McGill University: Institute of Islamic Studies. Morrice Hall 3485 McTavish Street. Montreal, Quebec H3A 1Y1 Canada. Tel: (514) 398-6077

Becoming an imam

Anonymous account
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender View Post

have you heard of or are you near to
    Institute of Islamic Studies - McGill University

McGill University: Institute of Islamic Studies. Morrice Hall 3485 McTavish Street. Montreal, Quebec H3A 1Y1 Canada. Tel: (514) 398-6077

From the looks of their program, they seem to focus on Islam from a westerner's viewpoint. I think the type of schools I'm looking for are run by either scholars or those well-versed in Islam and can teach it from the Muslim perspective. I appreciate the help, though.
    chat Quote

AnonymousPoster's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anonymous
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

From the looks of their program, they seem to focus on Islam from a westerner's viewpoint. I think the type of schools I'm looking for are run by either scholars or those well-versed in Islam and can teach it from the Muslim perspective. I appreciate the help, though.

I disagree, if I may! one of their students is Kazi Zulkader Siddiqui
    For several years, Kazi Zulkader Siddiqui has been a professor of Ethics, History and Religion at various universities in Pakistan. Currently, he is Professor of Civilization Studies and Medical Ethics at the Shifa College of Medicine (Bahria University) under the "Physician and Society" program. Previously, he has taught at the Hamdard University, Islamabad Campus and the Women's Institute of Science and Humanities (Riphah University, Islamabad). Shifa College of Medicine is located in Islamabad, Pakistan. ... Hamdard University is located in Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. ...

He has lectured extensively on various subjects related to civilizational studies, ethics, religion and technology in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Canada.
    look at the style the brother explains an issue @ Haram and Halal Meat

P.S.
    International Islamic University - IIUI
    Becoming an imam

Anonymous account
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Does a imam get paid? I
    Might be one after retirement inshallah.
    chat Quote

syilla's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In Malaysia...you'll get paid
    Becoming an imam

heart 1 - Becoming an imam

25:36 And the true servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk the earth with humility and when the ignorant address them, they respond with words of peace.
    chat Quote

wth1257's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by syilla View Post
    In Malaysia...you'll get paid

sweet, I should be an Imam

but seriousl, to the OP. If you want to be an imam wouldn't you want to go study in Egypt at Al-Azhar?
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257 View Post
    sweet, I should be an Imam

but seriousl, to the OP. If you want to be an imam wouldn't you want to go study in Egypt at Al-Azhar?
    if a person graduated from Al-Azhar...he/she will have a much higher position like becoming a mufti.
    Becoming an imam

25:36 And the true servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk the earth with humility and when the ignorant address them, they respond with words of peace.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

if a person graduated from Al-Azhar...he/she will have a much higher position like becoming a mufti.
    What exactly is a Mufti?

I'm sorry to go off topic but I've always wondered that.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What exactly is a Mufti?

I'm sorry to go off topic but I've always wondered that.
    In Malaysia, each state has a mufti (a muslim leader).

An Imaan... usually is the leader of a masjid.
    Becoming an imam

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In Malaysia, each state has a mufti (a muslim leader).

An Imaan... usually is the leader of a masjid.
    So it's like a government official?

I know what an imam is though, I'm not quite that ignorant
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

So it's like a government official?

I know what an imam is though, I'm not quite that ignorant
    yes. An imaan doesn't need to have a degree.
    Becoming an imam

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Student of knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

But 20k is less. I wonder if poor masjid imams get paid?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

An imaam is somebody who generally knows some or all of the Quraan and can lead the prayers. Mostly in the US now, they don't just want an imaam who can lead the prayers naturally. You need to have studied all that will make you a Sheikh, which would be 'Arabic as well as Tafseer of the Quraan and commentary of the Hadeeth in most cases. In some masajid you could be expected to teach the youth Quran and hold classes, and they will definitely expect you to be able to answer their questions that they have on Islam...

The pay depends on who you work for... The minimum could be about $24,000 regardless of the family you have to take care off. But it varies from masjid to masjid and they treat each differently based on how much they can get away with... If you get a job where you just lead the prayers though and don't have to do anything else in the masjid, then you can even privately teach and do other things for the Muslim community and charge for the services.

Oh, and a Mufti is able to interpret the Quran and Hadeeth and produce their own fatwas. I think.
    Last edited by BlissfullyJaded; 01-02-2009 at 03:05 AM.
    Becoming an imam

"...You are my Walî in this world and in the Hereafter. Cause me to die as a Muslim, and join me with the righteous." [Surah Yusuf 101]
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalam Alaykum Warakmatulah Wabarkatuh.
    But my masjid isn't really a actual masjid it's a rented basement who ask for donations every Friday , if I were to be they're imam I think I wouldn't get paid.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal View Post
    Asalam Alaykum Warakmatulah Wabarkatuh.
    But my masjid isn't really a actual masjid it's a rented basement who ask for donations every Friday , if I were to be they're imam I think I wouldn't get paid.
    donations huh.

When school starts again I think I'll put out a donations jar. Seriously. I helped some pre law students till 3:00AM last semester. I need to get paid

tipjar2 1 - Becoming an imam

But seriously, who pays the imam?

Like does the Mosque set aside funds to pay him?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thats what I don't know. You teach law...?
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal View Post
    Thats what I don't know.

I find it confusing because I was raised Catholic. So Priests are assigned to a Church by their Bishop/order and there isin't a problem. Do you think imam's are hired by the Mosque? If so I would assume that they get paid through the Musque funds.

You teach law...?
    No, but I was in a Constitutional Powers class with a bunch of pre law students who had trouble reading and understanding Supreme Court oppinions
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Becoming an imam Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Becoming an imam