× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 49 visibility 8231

Sense of Gheerah (protectiveness or jealousy)

Z-Blade's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Reviving Our Sense of Gheerah
    Fatima Barkatulla

We live in societies in which most men and women have lost their sense of modesty, women are obsessed with their appearances and wear clothes to be seen by others and to attract the attention of other men even if they are married! They have lost their sense of shame. Marriage is often looked upon as old-fashioned and short term affairs and frivolous relationships are the norm, everyone waiting to attract a better partner and feeling totally justified to dump one partner for another at the drop of a hat. Feminism too has reached its peak and men and women are told to suppress their natural emotions. Men are not even embarrassed when their wives are dressed up and attract the attention of other men, they don't mind if another man sees, chats, laughs and even dances with their womenfolk and if they do mind, they are told not to be so possessive!

In Islam we have a concept of Gheerah. Gheerah is an Arabic word which means protectiveness or jealousy. It is a good type of jealousy, like when a man feels jealous or protective over his wife or sisters and other-womenfolk and doesn't like other men to look at them. It is a natural inbuilt feeling Allah has given men and women. The Prophet (SAW) had the most Gheerah for his wives and all of the companions were known for their Gheerah. All Muslim men should have a collective sense of protectiveness for Muslim women as Allah says in the Qur'an: "The Men are the protectors and maintainers of women…" (Surah An-Nisaa, Ayah 34). Men who do not care about how their women behave and appear in front of other men and don't enforce hijaab upon their wives or women-folk are called Dayyooth. Being a Dayyooth is a major sin and a detailed discription of this evil characteristic can be found in adh-Dhahabee's book of Major Sins (Kitaab ul-Kabaa'ir).

A story of Gheerah

To further understand the quality of Gheerah, we can look at an incident that Asmaa' (RA) the daughter of Abu Bakr As-Siddeeq (RA) and sister of Aisha (RA), relates about herself. Abu Bakr was a wealthy merchant and he married his daughter Asmaa' to the great companion Az-Zubayr ibn al-'Awwam (RA) who was a very poor man but a man of great piety and one of the companions who were promised Paradise. Asmaa' relates: "When az-Zubayr married me, he had neither land nor wealth nor slave…", so Asmaa' had to work very hard kneading dough, going far off to get water. "And I used to carry on my head," she continues, "the date stones from the land of az-Zubair which Allah's Messenger (SAW) had endowed him and it was a distance of two miles from Madeenah. One day, as I was carrying the date-stones upon my head, I happened to meet Allah's Messenger (SAW), along with a group of his Companions. He called me and told the camel to sit down so that he could make me ride behind him. I felt shy to go with men and I remembered az-Zubair and his Gheerah and he was a man having the most Gheerah. The Messenger of Allah (SAW) understood my shyness and left. I came to az-Zubair and said: "The Messenger of Allah (SAW) met me as I was carrying date-stones upon my head and there was with him a group of his Companions. He told the camel to kneel so that I could mount it, but I felt shy and I remembered your Gheerah." So Asmaa' declined the offer made by the Prophet (SAW). Upon this az-Zubair said: "By Allah, the thought of you carrying date-stones upon your head is more severe a burden on me than you riding with him." (related in Saheeh Bukhari)

Look at the sense of dignity and modesty of Asmaa'! See how she felt shy in front of men? See how careful she was about her husband's feelings? She knew that her husband had a lot of Gheerah so she didn't want to upset him by accepting the Prophet's (SAW) help even though the Prophet was the purest of men and even though it meant bringing hardship on herself! And look at az-Zubair (RA), even though he had a lot of Gheerah, he didn't want to inconvenience his wife. What a beautiful relationship they had!

Nurturing our sense of Gheerah

Sometimes Muslim women don't understand if their menfolk want them to cover their faces or if they ask them to change something about the way they dress or speak in public, thinking that the men are being over-protective. But my dear sisters! If your husband asks you not to wear a certain colour of khimaar because it brings out the beauty of your eyes, or if he wants you to cover your face - by Allah, be thankful! Be proud of the fact that your husband has a sense of Gheerah for you and that he values you and cares for your hereafter. He knows what men can be like more than you do and so never try and suppress his Gheerah in these types of matters. And his concern for you should incite your own sense of honour! Why should any man be able to see your beauty and think indecent thoughts about you? We must nurture our own and our menfolk's sense of Gheerah by behaving and dressing modestly ourselves and paying attention to their valid opinions. We expect certain behaviour from them and they expect it of us. And besides, if our husband asks us to do something that it not Haraam, we must do it.

Subhan Allah! Look at the difference between how Islam values and protects women and how cheaply women are treated outside of Islam! As Muslims we have to be careful that our Hayaa' (sense of modesty and shame) and Gheerah doesn't wear out in a society in which people have lost their Hayaa' and Gheerah.

http://www.islamicawakening.com/view...?articleID=860
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Re.TiReD's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    LI Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Sense of Gheerah (protectiveness or jealous)

JazakAllah khayr

Be proud of the fact that your husband has a sense of Gheerah for you and that he values you and cares for your hereafter. He knows what men can be like more than you do and so never try and suppress his Gheerah in these types of matters. And his concern for you should incite your own sense of honour! Why should any man be able to see your beauty and think indecent thoughts about you? We must nurture our own and our menfolk's sense of Gheerah by behaving and dressing modestly ourselves and paying attention to their valid opinions. We expect certain behaviour from them and they expect it of us. And besides, if our husband asks us to do something that it not Haraam, we must do it.
    Masha'Allah :')

WassalamuAlaykum

s a b r
    chat Quote

Ansariyah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    ~*SummerIsGone*~
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

some men have too much of it, n thats scary.
    there shud be a balance I guess.

jzk

Learn Patience from Asiyah, Loyalty from Khadijah, Sincerity from Aisha and Steadfastness from Fatima.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    LI Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah View Post

jzk
    Ya know sis, I totally agree with you. And it is sometimes scary.

But I guess we gotta look at things from their POV...

WassalamuAlaykum

s a b r
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Faith.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    :)
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

AssalamuAlaykum,
    Subhan Allah! Look at the difference between how Islam values and protects women and how cheaply women are treated outside of Islam! As Muslims we have to be careful that our Hayaa' (sense of modesty and shame) and Gheerah doesn't wear out in a society in which people have lost their Hayaa' and Gheerah
    Subhan' Allah!^

wwwislamicboardcom - Sense of Gheerah (protectiveness or jealousy)

chat Quote

Z-Blade's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

jzk

Too much is better than none. What do you mean by "too much"? Yeah he should definitely not scare the ones he loves, but a man really cannot have "too much" gheerah IMO, the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) said that the man who has no gheerah over his wife, is bound for the fire (something like that).

Wassalam.
    chat Quote

Cabdullahi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I would like to know what types of gheerah is frightening??
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    ~*SummerIsGone*~
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Obsessive ones. Don't wear kohl, don't answer the fone (don't want anyone hearing ur voice). Creepy stuff that is.

Learn Patience from Asiyah, Loyalty from Khadijah, Sincerity from Aisha and Steadfastness from Fatima.

chat Quote

Güven's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wow Interesting read mashaAllah , JazakAllahu Khair !

does this only count for husband/wife or also for brother/sister ?

And as for the one who fears standing in front of His Lord and restrains the soul from impure evil desires and lusts, verily, Paradise will be his abode [79:40-41]
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    ~*SummerIsGone*~
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^For brother n sister too ofcourse, cause ur her mahram.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    LI Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Güven View Post

Wow Interesting read mashaAllah , JazakAllahu Khair !

does this only count for husband/wife or also for brother/sister ?

I think both, my younger bro has alotta gheerah it's kinda cute

Summin funny happened when we went somewhere together on the train once, lol.

WassalamuAlaykum

s a b r
    chat Quote

Sahabiyaat's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    in a universe..in a galaxy...on a planet in a country in a state in AN area in a house in a room:)
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by J.U.N.I.O.R View Post
    I would like to know what types of gheerah is frightening??
    did u just look at that guy? do want me to give u a backhander!

that kind of thing...ruins a marriage. Husbands need to get it into their head that women will always be looked at, but a true wife will only have eyes for her own love, her husband.

My heart, so precious,
    I won't trade for a hundred thousand souls.
    Your one smile takes it for free.Rumi
    chat Quote

Faith.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    :)
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In Islam we have a concept of Gheerah. Gheerah is an Arabic word which means protectiveness or jealousy. It is a good type of jealousy, like when a man feels jealous or protective over his wife or sisters and other-womenfolk and doesn't like other men to look at them.

wwwislamicboardcom - Sense of Gheerah (protectiveness or jealousy)

chat Quote

brightness_1
    LI Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat View Post

that kind of thing...ruins a marriage. Husbands need to get it into their head that women will always be looked at, but a true wife will only have eyes for her own love, her husband.
    Read it and weep dudes

Lol reps for that

s a b r
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Güven's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^For brother n sister too ofcourse, cause ur her mahram.
    format_quote Originally Posted by Amatul Wadud View Post

I think both, my younger bro has alotta gheerah it's kinda cute

Summin funny happened when we went somewhere together on the train once, lol.

WassalamuAlaykum
    lol ok

lol For a second I thought that you was saying THAT to the brother
    Astagfirallah...

And as for the one who fears standing in front of His Lord and restrains the soul from impure evil desires and lusts, verily, Paradise will be his abode [79:40-41]
    chat Quote

Sahabiyaat's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    in a universe..in a galaxy...on a planet in a country in a state in AN area in a house in a room:)
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

its true though,...i dont think men understand exactly how much a woman can love them,.....they start to take their wife for granted, she becomes an ornament on the mantle piece, a part of the house that was always there. Its not until they loose her that they realise what thyve lost.

My heart, so precious,
    I won't trade for a hundred thousand souls.
    Your one smile takes it for free.Rumi
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Obsessive ones. Don't wear kohl, don't answer the fone (don't want anyone hearing ur voice). Creepy stuff that is.
    Which crazy guy is gonna say that?? ''(don't want anyone hearing ur voice)''. .>>>>> what are u supposed to use sign language?? or something.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

its true though,...i dont think '''men understand exactly how much a woman can love them''',.....they start to take their wife for granted, she becomes an ornament on the mantle piece, a part of the house that was always there. Its not until they loose her that they realise what thyve lost.
    Legendary line ^ when will you get rid of it
    chat Quote

Zahida's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Conratulations now you can go cruising in your spanking new porshe which your husband/ husband to be will buy for you...........(Take me with you)................

Excellent words spoken a woman is very sincere when it comes to love and respect.............The men????????? Uh-huh different topic!!

Anyway what about a womans gheerah.............

Zahida
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    LI Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

A woman's gheerah

72 - Sense of Gheerah (protectiveness or jealousy)

s a b r
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Sense of Gheerah (protectiveness or jealousy) Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Sense of Gheerah (protectiveness or jealousy)