× Register Login What's New! Contact us

View Poll Results: Are YOU for or against animal testing? (comment why on the thread)

Voters
9. Login to vote on this poll
  • Yah Mate =D

3 33.33%
  • Nah Mate =P

6 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 26 visibility 6870

Islam stance on Animal testing...#

unknown_JJ's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Is Islam, for or against animal testing and why?

....?

YAH MATE - FOR

NAH MATE - AGAINST
    Last edited by unknown_JJ; 12-15-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Slightly vague question...answers

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Islam stance on Animal testing...#

Islam is against animal testing since you are putting animals through pain, which would be counted as disrespecting God's creations.

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

TY

What about for medical purposes?

Animals go through pain, so they can cure humans?

Rational or irrational?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    subhanAllah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm not voting in the poll, because my answer is neither yes nor no, it depends on the situation. Testing cosmetics and other unnecessary stuff on animals I disagree with, but testing medicines and treatments, that could save human lives, I'm all for.

edit- Could we add a 'depends on the situation' to the poll choices, please?
    Last edited by crayon; 12-15-2008 at 02:32 PM.

alhamdullilah.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by crayon View Post
    I'm not voting in the poll, because my answer is neither yes nor no, it depends on the situation. Testing cosmetics and other unnecessary stuff on animals I disagree with, but testing medicines and treatments, that could save human lives, I'm all for.
    TY

What about animal cloning?

Heard of dolly the sheep?

Do you agree or disagree with animal cloning and why?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    subhanAllah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

According to wikiperdia, muslim physicians were the ones who first began animal testing.

"Other innovations introduced by Muslim physicians to the field of physiology by this time include the use of animal testing and dissection"

"Ibn Zuhr was the first to employ animal testing in order to experiment with surgical procedures before applying them to human patients."

wiki

alhamdullilah.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

According to wikiperdia, muslim physicians were the ones who first began animal testing.

"Other innovations introduced by Muslim physicians to the field of physiology by this time include the use of animal testing and dissection"

"Ibn Zuhr was the first to employ animal testing in order to experiment with surgical procedures before applying them to human patients."

wiki
    I don't take Wikipedia as a reliable source =(

But if it is true, interesting find! =)

One final question:

You said that you were against 'Cosmetic Safty Testing' what about Biomedical Reaserch? for example disecting a frog? Or taking out vital organs to analyse?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    subhanAllah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm not too sure about animal cloning, don't know enough about it to make a judgment.

As for research, I also support that, because it's done to gain knowledge, in order to benefit people and other animals in the future. If it's just hacking away at a corpse though, then of course, that's just stupid.

alhamdullilah.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm not too sure about animal cloning, don't know enough about it to make a judgment.

As for research, I also support that, because it's done to gain knowledge, in order to benefit people and other animals in the future. If it's just hacking away at a corpse though, then of course, that's just stupid.
    JazakiALlahu khair,

sorry late reply!

Had to run out, someone put fire to my campus, :X Grr! All that unsaved work =(

End of question for Yu crayon thank you for helping =)

I do hope Aamir will come back!

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

When humans ate naturally grown foods according to seasonal produce and healthy livestock, disease was rarely heard of. A healthy diet from birth gave the body enough defence to ward of the majority of illnesses. Alternative remedies were successful enough to treat and prevent a large number of diseases; such as Hijamah as recommended by the Prophet (pbuh).

That's not the case nowadays. Pesticides, unhealthy eating, over-consumption of food, chemicals in the food and environment. smoking, alcohol have resulted in more health conditions than ever before. Rather than reverting to a healthy way of life, man has chosen to harm innocent animals to find cures for diseases that could be prevented in the first place. What a shame that animals have to pay the price for man's greed and mistakes. I don't believe Islam allows animal testing considering the rights of animals, the recommended ways of living and especially when we are causing destruction to ourselves with our own hands.

It should be banned.
    chat Quote

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by unknown_JJ View Post
    TY

What about for medical purposes?

Animals go through pain, so they can cure humans?

Rational or irrational?
    Medical purposes I don't know the Islamic ruling. Probably is allowed since A) it benefits humans and B) According to Wiki, muslims were first to do animal testing but don't know. Would have to consult an Imaam on the matter. Cosmetic purposes is definitely haram though.

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    subhanAllah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I just noticed that the poll is unclear, the question is "are you for OR against it?", and the choices are YES or NO. Yes i'm for it, or yes i'm against it, or no i'm not for it, or no i'm not against it? One can't tell... get me?

alhamdullilah.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I just noticed that the poll is unclear, the question is "are you for OR against it?", and the choices are YES or NO. Yes i'm for it, or yes i'm against it, or no i'm not for it, or no i'm not against it? One can't tell... get me?
    silly me..

Yu can just say it on the thread, thanks Yu.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab View Post
    Medical purposes I don't know the Islamic ruling. Probably is allowed since A) it benefits humans and B) According to Wiki, muslims were first to do animal testing but don't know. Would have to consult an Imaam on the matter. Cosmetic purposes is definitely haram though.
    TY for coming back,

So if Animal testing for cosmetic purposes is a big NO NO, for those Muslim/ah's that use cosmetics, are they bad Muslims?

In order to test cosmetics then, what alternative method can you use other than the use of animals?

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah View Post
    When humans ate naturally grown foods according to seasonal produce and healthy livestock, disease was rarely heard of.
    So you are FOR animal testing, in cases of food and farming?

A healthy diet from birth gave the body enough defence to ward of the majority of illnesses. Alternative remedies were successful enough to treat and prevent a large number of diseases; such as Hijamah as recommended by the Prophet (pbuh).
    Yeah cupping helps take away many impurities from your blood, but the use of animals to discover new things, through research may prevent any desieses from ever occuring, does this not outweigh what you're trying to say?

That's not the case nowadays. Pesticides, unhealthy eating, over-consumption of food, chemicals in the food and environment. smoking, alcohol have resulted in more health conditions than ever before. Rather than reverting to a healthy way of life, man has chosen to harm innocent animals to find cures for diseases that could be prevented in the first place. What a shame that animals have to pay the price for man's greed and mistakes. I don't believe Islam allows animal testing considering the rights of animals, the recommended ways of living and especially when we are causing destruction to ourselves with our own hands.

It should be banned.
    The animals are protected by law from harm during testing btw,

BUT Wow, well argued! =) TY

chat Quote

Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Islam stance on Animal testing...#

When humans ate naturally grown foods according to seasonal produce and healthy livestock, disease was rarely heard of. A healthy diet from birth gave the body enough defence to ward of the majority of illnesses.
    Uh, what about plague, Cholera, smallpox, polio etc? What about all those wretched, filthy peasants living in hovels? Did they eat artifical food? And what about how the fact that people rarely lived over the age of forty-fifty?
    That's not the case nowadays. Pesticides, unhealthy eating, over-consumption of food, chemicals in the food and environment. smoking, alcohol have resulted in more health conditions than ever before.
    Alcholol and smoking are not modern inventions. Smoking was introduced when America was discovered, and alcohol has been consumed for thousands of years, often in much greater quantities than today. The reason why there is a tax on alcohol is because when people in Britian worked out how to make cheap gin in the 1700s, they all got drunk and the population actually started declining! So the government had to make alcohol more expensive to stop people dinking so much.
    Pesticides are not really that bad either. They may have some health effects, but imagine if people stopped using them? Food production would plummet and millions of people would starve to death.
    Overeating is a modern problem, but it is caused by the overabundance of wealth. Before overeating there was under eating, which is much worse for your body, just not as morally reprehensible.

Rather than reverting to a healthy way of life, man has chosen to harm innocent animals to find cures for diseases that could be prevented in the first place. What a shame that animals have to pay the price for man's greed and mistakes.
    See above. Before modern medicine (and therefore animal testing) we had smallpox. We had plague. We had polio and we had many other horrible diseases. Now smallpox only exists in labs and munitions stores, and the others have been eliminated from the western world, with significant progress in developing countries as well. Before modern medicine, most people lived in horrible, filthy conditions, and they thought that they only way they could cure diseases was by butchering Jews!

wwwislamicboardcom - Islam stance on Animal testing...#
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Before modern medicine (and therefore animal testing) we had smallpox. We had plague. We had polio and we had many other horrible diseases. Now smallpox only exists in labs and munitions stores, and the others have been eliminated from the western world, with significant progress in developing countries as well. Before modern medicine, most people lived in horrible, filthy conditions, and they thought that they only way they could cure diseases was by butchering Jews!
    Jews?

Alright akhi,

So you are against animal testing?

If yes,

Are you comfortable in using new medication (tablet form, liquid and ointment) & clothes etc that have not been animal tested?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Treatment of animals

Printable Version
    Islam and animals
    Camels crossing a hill, representing early Islamic settlers

There is not an animal on earth, nor a bird that flies on its wings, but they are communities like you...Qur'an 6:38

Muslims believe that:

* all living creatures were made by Allah
    * Allah loves all animals
    * animals exist for the benefit of human beings
    * animals must be treated with kindness and compassion

Muslims are instructed to avoid:

* treating animals cruelly
    * over-working or over-loading animals
    * neglecting animals
    * hunting animals for sport
    o hunting for food is permitted if the animals are killed humanely
    * cutting the mane or tail of a horse
    * animal fighting as a sport
    * factory farming

Using animals is permitted

The Qur'an explicitly states that animals can be used for human benefit.

It is God who provided for you all manner of livestock, that you may ride on some of them and from some you may derive your food. And other uses in them for you to satisfy your heart's desires. It is on them, as on ships, that you make your journeys.Qur'an 40:79-80

Muhammad and animals

There are many stories and sayings of the Prophet (pbuh) that demonstrate his concern for the welfare of animals.

Once someone travelling with the Prophet took some eggs from a nest, causing the mother bird great grief. The Prophet saw this and told the man to return the eggs.

When the Prophet was asked if Allah rewarded acts of charity to animals, he replied: "Yes, there is a reward for acts of charity to every beast alive."

The Prophet said "Whoever kills a sparrow or anything bigger than that without a just cause, Allah will hold him accountable on the Day of Judgment." The Prophet explained that a killing would be for a just cause if it was for food.

Muslim ritual slaughter

Muslims are only allowed to eat meat that has been killed according to Sharia law.

This method of killing is often attacked by animal rights activists as barbaric blood-thirsty ritual slaughter.

Muslims disagree. They say that Islamic law on killing animals is designed to reduce the pain and distress that the animal suffers.
    Islamic slaughter rules

These are the rules for Islamic slaughter:

* the slaughterer must be a sane adult Muslim
    * the slaughterer must say the name of God before making the cut
    o The name of God is said in order to emphasise the sanctity of life and that the animal is being killed for food with God's consent
    * the animal must be killed by cutting the throat with the single continuous back and forth motion of a sharp knife
    o the cut must sever at least three of the trachea, oesophagus, and the two blood vessels on either side of the throat
    o the spinal cord must not be cut
    * animals must be well treated before being killed
    * animals must not see other animals being killed
    * the knife must not be sharpened in the animal's presence
    * the knife blade must be free of blemishes that might tear the wound
    * the animal must not be in an uncomfortable position
    * the animal must be allowed to bleed out

Is this a cruel way to kill an animal?

Some experts say that the animal killed in this way does not suffer if the cut is made quickly and cleanly enough, because it loses consciousness before the brain can perceive any pain.

Other experts disagree and say that the animal remains conscious long enough to feel severe pain.
    Pre-stunning to prevent pain

Secular animal slaughter involves pre-stunning animals so that they are unconscious before they are killed. Until recently Muslim law has not permitted pre-stunning.

Muslims feared that pre-stunning might reduce the amount of blood that could drain from the carcase and also because they thought that the animal was sometimes killed by the stunning.

But recently (2004) Masood Khawaja, president of the Halal Food Authority, stated that it was not against halal practice to "immobilise" animals, provided they were not actually killed before their throats are cut.

Halal meat imported to the UK from New Zealand is stunned before slaughter. Masood Khawaja said that this was acceptable to Muslims, provided the religious rites were observed.

It is acceptable as long as the animal is not dead prior to slaughter, all flowing blood has been drained, and a Muslim has done the ritual slaughter.Masood Khawaja (President, Halal Food Authority), 2004

Experiments on animals

According to Al Hafiz B A Masri, using animals for research may be permitted in Islam. The animals must not suffer pain or mutilation and there must be a good reason for the experiment:

Actions shall be judged according to intention. Any kind of medical treatment of animals and experiments on them becomes ethical and legal or unethical and illegal according to the intention of the person who does it.Masri, B.A., Al-Hafiz. Animals in Islam. Great Britain:Athene Trust. 198

Source: BBC F Religion & Ethics.

chat Quote

Musaafirah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Miss. Serious ^_^
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I swear there was a thread like this some time ago?
    I agree with a sister above, where she mentioned about not agreeing with animal testing for cosmetic purposes.
    However, what about in the case of medical advances? Several successful studies have been undertaken, where the experimental use of mice confirmed theories and allowed for progression.
    So, I can't say yes or no can I?

I Loves chocolate I does..
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Islam stance on Animal testing...#

format_quote Originally Posted by unknown_JJ View Post
    Jews?

Alright akhi,

So you are against animal testing?

If yes,

Are you comfortable in using new medication (tablet form, liquid and ointment) & clothes etc that have not been animal tested?

Yeah, Jews. Medieval Europeans, particularly in Germany, would regularly blame plague outbreaks on God's Punishment for letting too many Jews live among them. So they would go and kill a load of them, thinking that it would make God happy with them again.

I'm against animal testing for cosmetics, but support it for medicine if it needs to be done to save lots of lives. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable taking medicine that was not tested on animals though, as long as it was tested somehow.

wwwislamicboardcom - Islam stance on Animal testing...#
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Islam stance on Animal testing...# Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Islam stance on Animal testing...#