× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 29 visibility 3514

An Asian PM in our time?

brightness_1
    LI News Service
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

An Asian PM in our time?

Report bad ads?

By Perminder Khatkar
    Producer: Ji Prime Minister, BBC Asian Network

If Parliament is to reflect the face of modern Britain there should be at least 50 Asian and Black MPs. But today only 2% are from an ethnic background - just 15 from a total of 646.

At the current rate of change it could take 75 years to get anywhere near a representative amount, so what are the chances of Britain ever getting its own Asian prime minister?

Ashok Visnawatham, from Operation Black Vote, said: "It's conceivable that we could have a prime minister who's African, Asian or Caribbean in the next 25 to 30 years."

But could this optimism become a reality?

Ali Miraj was 23 and a part-time DJ when he was elected as a Conservative councillor in Ruislip Manor, Hillingdon, north-west London.

This gave him the experience and the appetite to go further - so he went on to contest his first seat in Aberavon, south Wales, at the 2001 general election.

Reselected

He knew he had no chance of winning.

Four years later, at the general election in 2005, he was again selected as a candidate for Watford, a marginal seat.

However, what Mr Miraj had not bargained for when he was canvassing was this response: "We've always voted Conservative but we can't vote for you because you're a Muslim."

He came third behind Labour and the Liberal Democrats.

The Iraq war had taken place in 2003 and by the 2005 election, Mr Miraj felt, it was still a raw and prominent issue.

Perhaps if it had not been for this he would have stood a better chance?

Mr Miraj went on to try to secure a safe seat. He felt that, with two general elections behind him, he had proven his commitment and dedication.

But it was here, he says, that he faced more unanticipated hurdles - and this time they were not from the public.

"Three MPs in the Conservative Party who were retiring and I was applying for their seats were saying to me... effectively you are not going to get it because your face doesn't fit…

"So I went to the selection committee in this constituency and made a joke of it saying 'I hear you're not going to pick me because I'm not a white middle-class male but I don't believe you will, which is why I'm here'."

Suspended

Mr Miraj was not chosen and then blogged about his experience in on a Labour Party site in 2007.

He went on to have a very public row with Conservative leader David Cameron - who said Mr Miraj had asked for a peerage shortly before going public with his criticism - which eventually led to the end of his political career.

Shailesh Vara MP, who is shadow deputy leader of the Commons in Mr Cameron's front bench team, did not want to comment on Mr Miraj's case.

But he told the programme the Conservatives were selecting their best candidates regardless of the ethnic make-up of constituencies and said this showed "the fair mindedness of the British people of electing individuals to Parliament irrespective of their ethnic background".

Nasar Meer, of Bristol University, says he has found that parties can be reluctant to put up ethnic minority candidates in safe winnable seats because they think the public will not vote for them.

He goes one step further: "There are a number of factors outside the political arena which will make it harder for Muslim candidates.

"There's a general anxiety around terrorism, general anxiety (around) extremism, about Muslims not being committed to gender equality, for example."

This applied pressures which other ethnic minority potential candidates did not have to face.

They had to demonstrate they were patriotic, non-violent and believed in gender equality.

Next election

"These cumulatively amount to a great number of hurdles they have to clear, " said Dr Meer.

He concludes that it is highly unlikely the UK will see an ethnic minority prime minister soon and believes it is even more implausible that there will be a Muslim prime minister.

But not everyone agrees.

Justice minister and Dewsbury MP Shahid Malik said some people told him he would never get in as an MP "as this town wasn't ready to select a Muslim".

But he did so and now he is the first Muslim to become a junior minister.

He is optimistic that before long the UK will see an ethnic minority and even Muslim prime minister.

And many believe that the next general election is one to watch out for.

All the main political parties say they are fielding Asian and black candidates and there are a number of Asian MPs - like the Conservatives' Priti Patel and Labour's Rushanara Ali - who are strong contenders.

So this, along with the on-going Speaker's Conference, which is dedicating a year to looking into how to get more Asian and Black MPs, could be the turning point .

Ayesha Hazarika, special adviser to Labour deputy leader Harriet Harman, said: "As far as I'm concerned there's never been a better time to get involved in politics."

Does she think the UK can ever expect to say 'Ji' (yes) prime minister? "In the words of President Obama: 'Yes we can.'"

Source

An Asian PM in our time?

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: An Asian PM in our time?

To hit as many demographics as possible, we need a mixed race (quarter Asian, quarter African-Carribbean, quater-Chinese, quater-Ninja Turtle) pregnant woman for PM.

chat Quote

Amadeus85's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I wonder what would the Brittons say about this...
    An Asian PM in our time?

This country is dying because of a lack of men, not a lack of programs.

- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Muezzin, need a mixed race disabled lesbian non-christian. Hit all the "never could happen" at once.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Dawud_uk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

can i be the first to say what would it matter? the asian MP's at the moment are worse than the others in their sucking up and defence of secularism, trying to be more white than whitey.

and just as it doesnt matter whether a brother is black, white or brown, what does it matter which kaffir politician who is ruling by other than Allah has revealed runs the country?

An Asian PM in our time?

Abu Abdillah

Submitting to none but Allah
    chat Quote

Ar-RaYYan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Allahu Akbar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk View Post

can i be the first to say what would it matter? the asian MP's at the moment are worse than the others in their sucking up and defence of secularism, trying to be more white than whitey.

and just as it doesnt matter whether a brother is black, white or brown, what does it matter which kaffir politician who is ruling by other than Allah has revealed runs the country?

just exactly what i was thinking!
    An Asian PM in our time?

Dear Allah. I pray that whoever reads this message shall have your comfort, joy, peace, love, & guidance. I may not know their troubles, but you do. Please keep protecting us. Ameen.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

All we'd get is more curry subsidies.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

When my country was multicultural, Poles voted for Poles, Jews for Jews, Ukrainians for Ukrainians, Germans for Germans. It would be a good idea for England as long as they dont want the dream of Enoch Powell to come true.
    An Asian PM in our time?

chat Quote

Intisar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    ''By night it conceals the light, by day as it appears in Glory..'' -092.002-003
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I agree, President Obama for one!
    An Asian PM in our time?

*Acausal synchronicity*

Please make du'a for my mom and Dad.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis View Post
    Muezzin, need a mixed race disabled lesbian non-christian. Hit all the "never could happen" at once.
    Well, I didn't mean to sound like an 'it'll never happen' guy. There's been a female Prime Minister, there's a black man (well, mixed race, but whatever) in the White House, so I don't see why race should be an issue here.

If anything, religion would be more of an issue.

format_quote Originally Posted by Dawuduk

There's a point.
    chat Quote

aadil77's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Glory Be To Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

how about a muslim pm? I'd say in about 2000-5000 years time
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

How about a hindu PM for Pakistan, a chechen PM for Russia, a kurdish PM for Turkey, a buddhist PM for Indonesia. Are you so tolerant to accept that?
    An Asian PM in our time?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85 View Post
    How about a hindu PM for Pakistan, a chechen PM for Russia, a kurdish PM for Turkey, a buddhist PM for Indonesia. Are you so tolerant to accept that?
    I'm tolerant enough to accept that.

I don't know about those countries' electorates, though.
    chat Quote

aadil77's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Glory Be To Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

no im not, but wouldn't mind a chechen running russia
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77 View Post
    Great, so tolerance is only good when its good for you. Personally, I would be pissed off if my country would be ruled by someone who came here 30 years ago.
    An Asian PM in our time?

chat Quote

Dawud_uk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Great, so tolerance is only good when its good for you. Personally, I would be pissed off if my country would be ruled by someone who came here 30 years ago.
    then its ok if i bring in shariah law as i am white not asian / african or arab?
    An Asian PM in our time?

Abu Abdillah

Submitting to none but Allah
    chat Quote

Al-Zaara's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    made of awesome.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yeah, that's what many people before you have felt. But time passed, people got used, people got mixed and today say they are original and then new people come and they are pissed... You'll get used too.
    An Asian PM in our time?

If only I had checked myself
    Guy who wrecked himself

True leaders don't create followers...
    .... They create new leaders.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There's been a Jap in Peru, an Arab in Argentina, A Kenyan in the US, a lesbian in Iceland and God knows what else so the possibilites arent too remote.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77 View Post
    I woudn't mind a German running Austria, but thats about where my tolerance ends.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

then its ok if i bring in shariah law as i am white not asian / african or arab?
    That's an itnerestign question.
    My answer would be yes, but you'd have to be elected.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! An Asian PM in our time? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. An Asian PM in our time?