بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

الحمد الله

The saying of Allāh
سبحانه و تعالى,

فَلَمَّا اسْتَيْأَسُوا مِنْهُ خَلَصُوا نَجِيًّا ۖ قَالَ كَبِيرُهُمْ أَلَمْ تَعْلَمُوا أَنَّ أَبَاكُمْ قَدْ أَخَذَ عَلَيْكُم مَّوْثِقًا مِّنَ اللَّهِ وَمِن قَبْلُ مَا فَرَّطتُمْ فِي يُوسُفَ ۖ فَلَنْ أَبْرَحَ الْأَرْضَ حَتَّىٰ يَأْذَنَ لِي أَبِي أَوْ يَحْكُمَ اللَّهُ لِي ۖ وَهُوَ خَيْرُ الْحَاكِمِينَ

So, when they despaired of him, they held a conference in private. The eldest among them said: “Know you not that your father did take an oath from you in Allâh’s Name, and before this you did fail in your duty with Yûsuf (Joseph)? Therefore I will not leave this land until my father permits me, or Allâh decides my case (by releasing Benjamin) and He is the Best of the judges. [1]

فَلَمَّا اسْتَيْأَسُوا مِنْهُ

Imām Aṭ-Ṭabarī رحمه اللهwrites, “So, when they lost hope from leaving Bin Yamin alone with Yusuf and from him (Yusuf) taking anyone instead of Bin Yamin.” [2]

Ibn Isḥāq رحمه اللهsays, “They lost hope in him and understood the severity of their situation.”[3]

Abu ‘Ubaydah رحمه اللهsays, “They were ascertained that he would not respond to them.” [4]

Read more here