× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 51 visibility 11230

Children are born believers in God, academic claims

Ibn Abi Ahmed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Dunno if this has been posted before, but pretty interesting article.

Children are "born believers" in God and do not simply acquire religious beliefs through indoctrination, according to an academic.

By Martin Beckford, Religious Affairs Correspondent
    Last Updated: 11:36PM GMT 24 Nov 2008

Dr Justin Barrett, a senior researcher at the University of Oxford's Centre for Anthropology and Mind, claims that young people have a predisposition to believe in a supreme being because they assume that everything in the world was created with a purpose.

He says that young children have faith even when they have not been taught about it by family or at school, and argues that even those raised alone on a desert island would come to believe in God.

"The preponderance of scientific evidence for the past 10 years or so has shown that a lot more seems to be built into the natural development of children's minds than we once thought, including a predisposition to see the natural world as designed and purposeful and that some kind of intelligent being is behind that purpose," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"If we threw a handful on an island and they raised themselves I think they would believe in God."

In a lecture to be given at the University of Cambridge's Faraday Institute on Tuesday, Dr Barrett will cite psychological experiments carried out on children that he says show they instinctively believe that almost everything has been designed with a specific purpose.

In one study, six and seven-year-olds who were asked why the first bird existed replied "to make nice music" and "because it makes the world look nice".

Another experiment on 12-month-old babies suggested that they were surprised by a film in which a rolling ball apparently created a neat stack of blocks from a disordered heap.

Dr Barrett said there is evidence that even by the age of four, children understand that although some objects are made by humans, the natural world is different.

He added that this means children are more likely to believe in creationism rather than evolution, despite what they may be told by parents or teachers.

Dr Barrett claimed anthropologists have found that in some cultures children believe in God even when religious teachings are withheld from them.

"Children's normally and naturally developing minds make them prone to believe in divine creation and intelligent design. In contrast, evolution is unnatural for human minds; relatively difficult to believe."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ic-claims.html
    ---------------

We knew that..1400 years ago

Do not argue with your Lord on behalf of your soul, rather argue with your soul on behalf of your Lord.” - Dhul-Nun

"It is the very pursuit of happiness that thwarts happiness." - Victor Frankl
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Mysterious Uk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Children are born believers in God, academic claims

Cool, how interesting.. I'm trying to think back to my earliest memories, and from as long as i can remember i think i always knew there was a God. I mean stuff like rain, i knew it was something that occured through his will..

N e hu, must be diffficult conducting the method for lil kiddies like..

The believer has four characteristics: if he is afflicted by any misfortune, he remains patient and steadfast. If he is given anything, he is grateful. If he speaks , he speaks the truth. If he passes judgment on any issue,he is just .
    chat Quote

Zico's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Mashallah! Nice find bro. I bet atheists will eat that Doctor alive after reading this!

What I fear most for my people are the hypocrites, who talk wisely, yet act unjustly.
    ~ The Prophet Muhammad, as reported by Umar bin al-Khattab ~
    chat Quote

piXie's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Reminded me of this video by Sheikh Riyadh

Media Tags are no longer supported
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Muhaba's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    فصبرٌ جميلٌ
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That's an awesome study. It's proves Allah's statement in the Quraan, that he asked all mankind "Am I not your Lord?" and they answered , "why not." This shows that this knowledge is built into our minds.
    chat Quote

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

you don't need an academic to tell you that, all you need are young kids in the house..
    I started a thread recently here asking on how to introduce religion to children, on the account my niece and before here my other nieces and nephews would incessantly ask the 'questions of the ages' and of course their favorite word is 'why', I wanted to introduce the concept in an appropriate fashion for a young inquisitive mind but not make it too abstract or philosophical, got some good feedback wal7mdlilah..

the whole atheistic module of children not knowing or needing God until someone introduces or indoctrinates them is faulty as evidenced solely from the mouths of babes, as well their unceasing need to spend most of their free times on religion forums jabbering on their various nonsense!

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Children are born believers in God, academic claims

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

this is not really what the article says, what it says is that children look for purpose in everything and can't grasp things like coincidence and may think a person is behind it.

Dr Barrett claimed anthropologists have found that in some cultures children believe in God even when religious teachings are withheld from them.
    I would like to hear to what extent religious teachings were withdrawn from them and what kind of god did they come up with.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint View Post
    this is not really what the article says, what it says is that children look for purpose in everything and can't grasp things like coincidence and may think a person is behind it.

I would like to hear to what extent religious teachings were withdrawn from them and what kind of god did they come up with.
    He doesn't need to spell it out for you.. finding a purpose for life is the very basis of belief in God and that is actually in concert with fitrah.. fitrah doesn't cover rituals, or a specific type religion, merely the instinct of belief in God, hence the child's parents can fashion that eventually into the god or gods of their choosing!

but they all start from the same baseline!

peace

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Children are born believers in God, academic claims

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye View Post
    He doesn't need to spell it out for you.. finding a purpose for life is the very basis of belief in God and that is actually in concert with fitrah.. fitrah doesn't cover rituals, or a specific type religion, merely the instinct of belief in God, hence the child's parents can fashion that eventually into the god or gods of their choosing!

but they all start from the same baseline!

peace
    So Islam doesn't really say children believe in the oneness of god, omnipotence etc, but rather have an instinct for a higher purpose?
    What about the shahaddah whisperred to every child at birth?
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint View Post
    So Islam doesn't really say children believe in the oneness of god, omnipotence etc, but rather have an instinct for a higher purpose?
    What about the shahaddah whisperred to every child at birth?

we have discussed this before no? Children are born with the same thing all prophets who found Allah swt are born with..

I have no idea about the shahada whispered in children's ears? what does that mean?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

we have discussed this before no? Children are born with the same thing all prophets who found Allah swt are born with..

I have no idea about the shahada whispered in children's ears? what does that mean?
    I don't remember.
    I may have mixed it up-
    chat Quote

Chuck's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

stupid jibber jabber starting again. Simply just ask what fitra means in Islam before jumping to conclusions.

jumping to conclusions 1 - Children are born believers in God, academic claims

It is not Al-Birr (piety, righteousness, and obedience to Allâh, etc.) that you turn your faces towards east and (or) west (in prayers); but Al-Birr is (the quality of) the one who believes in Allâh, the Last Day, the Angels, the Book, the Prophets and gives his wealth, in spite of love for it, to the kinsfolk, to the orphans, and to Al-Masâkîn (the poor), and to the wayfarer, and to those who ask, and to set slaves free, performs As-Salât, and gives the Zakât, and keep their word whenever they make a promise, and who are patient in extreme poverty and ailment (disease) and at the time of persecution, hardship, and war. Such are the people of the truth and they are Al-Muttaqûn (the pious).

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

rofl.. I always wonder where you get those really neat pictures?..

I managed one cool pic today of a 'reality slap'

chat Quote

Zico's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hadith - Bukhari 2.440, Narrated Ibn Shihab

Abu Huraira, narrated that the Prophet (pbuh) said, "Every child is born with a true faith (i.e. to worship none but Allah Alone) but his parents convert him to Judaism or to Christianity or to Magainism, as an animal delivers a perfect baby animal. Do you find it mutilated?" Then Abu Huraira recited the holy verse: "So set you (O Muhammad SAW) your face towards the religion of pure Islâmic Monotheism Hanifa (worship none but Allâh Alone) Allâh's Fitrah (i.e. Allâh's Islâmic Monotheism), with which He has created mankind. No change let there be in Khalq*illâh (i.e. the Religion of Allâh Islâmic Monotheism), that is the straight religion, but most of men know not. [Tafsir At*Tabarî, Vol 21, Page 41] " (30.30).

Source

What I fear most for my people are the hypocrites, who talk wisely, yet act unjustly.
    ~ The Prophet Muhammad, as reported by Umar bin al-Khattab ~
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Ummu Sufyaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    is in need of dua
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd al-Rahman View Post

[...]
    that's quite interesting...i wonder if the same would apply to animals

...desperate for husnul-khitaam...

please make dua that Allah grants me a good end (to my life). please make dua that Allah guides me.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

bumpty bump

chat Quote

AabiruSabeel's Avatar Administrator
    brightness_1
    عـــابر سبيـــل
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed View Post

that's quite interesting...i wonder if the same would apply to animals
    Yes, Allah says:
    أَفَغَيْرَ دِينِ اللَّهِ يَبْغُونَ وَلَهُ أَسْلَمَ مَن فِى السَّمَـوَتِ وَالاٌّرْضِ طَوْعًا وَكَرْهًا وَإِلَيْهِ يُرْجَعُونَ

Do they seek for other than the Religion of Allah.-while all creatures in the heavens and on earth have, willing or unwilling, bowed to His Will (Accepted Islam), and to Him shall they all be brought back. [Aal-Imran: 83]
    Last edited by AabiruSabeel; 06-08-2009 at 05:17 AM.
    chat Quote

Clover's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Eh, I don't think thats really true, I mean, I was raised to believen god, I didn't wake up and believen a higher being, but I doubt what I got to say on the subject really matters since I am not a scientist or academic...yet.

taoism2 1 - Children are born believers in God, academic claims
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

we are not talking about a specific religion or being raised on, we are speaking of the natural curiosity that children feel about the origin of life, how they came to be, and what it all means and their position in the scheme of things and that is certainly very observable in children..

Do you have small ones with a million question running around?

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Clover's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

we are not talking about a specific religion or being raised on, we are speaking of the natural curiosity that children feel about the origin of life, how they came to be, and what it all means and their position in the scheme of things and that is certainly very observable in children..

Do you have small ones with a million question running around?
    um, I am 16, thats a no.

Maybe, but I do not see how that leads to a god.

taoism2 1 - Children are born believers in God, academic claims
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Children are born believers in God, academic claims Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Children are born believers in God, academic claims