star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Beard issue

Report bad ads?

Well, I have had a sudden urge to keep a beard. Thanks to Allah, nowadays I am offering five times prayer and trying to do everything a true Muslim should. But for the past few days I have wanted to keep a beard. Since I am living in a Muslim country it wont be a big problem in terms of society but my friends and relatives warn me that I will have problems if I go for higher studies in the UK. I am 17 years old right now and desire to study in a good University, which by the Grace of Almighty Allah I hope I will achieve. But the problem for me is, should I follow my will and keep a beard now? or, should I wait to complete my studies?

and, does anybody here who live in the UK or any other country and have a beard, face problems in University applications?

and one more thing, somebody told me keeping a beard is actually Wajib, is that true?

Thank you for listening to my problem.

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    yusuf18's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Beard issue

format_quote Originally Posted by Shinji View Post

Well, I have had a sudden urge to keep a beard. Thanks to Allah, nowadays I am offering five times prayer and trying to do everything a true Muslim should. But for the past few days I have wanted to keep a beard. Since I am living in a Muslim country it wont be a big problem in terms of society but my friends and relatives warn me that I will have problems if I go for higher studies in the UK. I am 17 years old right now and desire to study in a good University, which by the Grace of Almighty Allah I hope I will achieve. But the problem for me is, should I follow my will and keep a beard now? or, should I wait to complete my studies?

and, does anybody here who live in the UK or any other country and have a beard, face problems in University applications?

and one more thing, somebody told me keeping a beard is actually Wajib, is that true?

yes its fard
    chat Quote

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

mashallah bro may Allah reward you for your intentions, ameen. Well if anything, you shouldn't compromise your deen for anything. When you do anything for Allahs sake, he always helps you through, whether u face trials or happiness. So trust Allah and go on with it may Allah make it easy for you, ameen.
    Beard issue

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*
    chat Quote

Chains of Faith's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ahah.

Could you please quote some Quranic reference or Hadith regarding it.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Rabi'ya's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Revert4Life
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamualaikum

Alhamdulillah you have made a very wise decision inshAllah.

There are plenty of brothers in UK who study at university who have a beard. It may well be worth checking out the university first though and seeing what the Muslim population is like there. I can certainly advise you with regards to a few universities, and if I cant help I am sure that other brothers/sisters can.

Where you thinking of studying??

Inshallah your "problem" is easily solved
    Beard issue

rose4 1 - Beard issue
    chat Quote

true believer's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

DNT TOUCH THAT FACE! lol beards r awesome dude. wallahi. they actually make a man look...more manly n handsome mashalla. its beatiful, and i think u shud neva shave again (seriously..dnt!) and...this is a brother's issue...but IF i was a brother, i would trim it only a bit..cos its haram i think. just tiny lilttle trim every month so it grows well. and erm....wash it with...condintor so it becomes soft...and....somethin else. I AINT MAN! i duno everythin! but anyway, just saying..beards rock! (exits quietly)
    Last edited by true believer; 05-29-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: BING BONG BASH..just adding a little extra word :)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ahah.

Could you please quote some Quranic reference or Hadith regarding it.
    Hadith - Muslim, Narrated AbuHurayrah

The Messenger of Allah said: Trim closely the moustache, and grow beard, and thus act against the fire-worshippers
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by true believer View Post
    DNT TOUCH THAT FACE! lol beards r awesome dude. wallahi. they actually make a man look...more manly n handsome mashalla. its beatiful, and i think u shud neva shave again (seriously..dnt!) and...this is a brother's issue...but IF i was a brother, i would trim it only a bit..cos its haram i think. just tiny lilttle trim every month so it grows well. and erm....wash it with...condintor so it becomes soft...and....somethin else. I AINT MAN! i duno everythin! but anyway, just saying..beards rock! (exits quietly)
    loool

I agree sis...beards are awesome

Beard issue

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*
    chat Quote

Chains of Faith's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Rabiya, I am hoping to seek admission at any good university abroad.

and I thank you for the good advice true believer.. lol
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven View Post
    loool

to be honest men look better without beard expeshly if the man has nice sharp face
    chat Quote

Sampharo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Brother Shinji,

Congratulations on your decision. The beard is sunnah wajiba as in an order from the prophet -pbuh- to be grown and for the mostache to be shortened. Some scholars say that it needs to be freely grown to at least the length of a fist (as if you can grab it off your chin and it would be showing below your fist) and then you can trim it, some say leave it long no matter what. Many, especially contemporary ones, say the requirement is to have a beard and the length is not specific. None of those are in specific clearly in the wrong, it's just different ways of interpreting hadiths and sunnah.

If you make a decent looking beard and keep groomed nicely, it should not present any problems. Even though some people in the UK will work against you since they will know you and target you, you will insha Allah find those who are the opposite, who will help you when they see it and know you. So go with God and insha Allah everything will be ok.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by yusuf18 View Post
    to be honest men look better without beard expeshly if the man has nice sharp face
    Thats your opinion brother lol...I've never thought clean shave was the best, even b4 i started practising. Yea sure some look nice... but even better with it. Soooo beards still supercede
    Beard issue

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thats your opinion brother lol...I've never thought clean shave was the best, even b4 i started practising...yea sure some look nice but even better with it. Soooo beards still supercede
    its fard so have to do it
    chat Quote

nebula's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalaamalaykum bro, mashallah its a really good thing that you want to grow your beard, bro i don't think it will effect your university applications, inshallah everything comes from Allah, hes the provider, so obey his commands and inshallah you'll see everything ease up, its only hard when we make it hard. My brother has a big beard lol and hes in uni so alhumdulilah i don't see any reason why it should effect you getting into the university.

Bro grow your beard asap inshallah get the ajar for it dont wait till after your studies, and yes bro its fard for us men to grow our beards!

also beards keep ur chin warm in the winter akhi :P and its a nice place to put ur hands if udont have gloves
    Beard issue

Ittaqullah haythu ma kount!
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

loool

I think it depends on the man. I personally know of one man that can pull off the beard. I personally prefer a clean shaven appearance.
    chat Quote

Maimunah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salaam

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The beard (al-lahyah) is that which grows on the cheeks and chin, as was explained by the author of al-Qaamoos. It is obligatory to leave the hair that grows on the cheeks and chin, and not to shave it or cut it.

May Allaah reform the affairs of all the Muslims.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 2/325.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

The definition of the beard (al-lahyah) as stated by the scholars of the (Arabic) language is the hair of the face, jawbone and cheeks, in the sense that everything that grows on the cheeks, jawbone and chin is part of the beard. Removing any part of it also comes under the heading of sin, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Leave the beard alone” and “Let the beard grow.” This indicates that it is not permissible to remove any part of it, but the sin varies in degree; shaving is more serious than removing a part of it because it is a more extreme action and the one who shaves it more clearly goes against the command than the one who trims it.

Fataawa Hammah, p. 36

Beard issue

رَبِّ ٱجۡعَلۡنِى مُقِيمَ ٱلصَّلَوٰةِ وَمِن ذُرِّيَّتِى*ۚ رَبَّنَا وَتَقَبَّلۡ دُعَآءِ (٤٠) رَبَّنَا ٱغۡفِرۡ لِى وَلِوَٲلِدَىَّ وَلِلۡمُؤۡمِنِينَ يَوۡمَ يَقُومُ ٱلۡحِسَابُ
    chat Quote

convert's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

my beard is a few inches long. didnt hurt me at all with my interview at my current job. then again, i am a unix c/c++ programmer, so they probably figured it comes with the territory.

i get the most crap because of my beard from muslims, unfortunately.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by convert View Post
    my beard is a few inches long. didnt hurt me at all with my interview at my current job. then again, i am a unix c/c++ programmer, so they probably figured it comes with the territory.

i get the most crap because of my beard from muslims, unfortunately.

My husband used to have a beard and he did not look good with it, but as a Chrisitan he isnt obligated to keep a beard. I dont think a beard is bad if kept neat and trimmed around the face, but not hanging down. That is just me though.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If my memories serve right bro Farhan went to uni and kept a beard so best ask him...
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    SistaSista's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Threads

Salam Alaykum brother,

Beard is part of Islam so should be kept and if the uni does not like it tough, it would be wrong for any uni not to accept you because of this, I would also advise not to come to the UK, UK governement is anti-Islam, (am I allowed to say this) but if you do still want to come there are are lots of Muslim communities, check out which areas have a large Muslim population and try to speak with a few brothers from the area before you come, so you know what you getting into, many born British muslims are on culture and not religion.

Salam
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Beard issue Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Beard issue