× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 6 of 6 visibility 2352

What Is Meant by the Holy Spirit in the Qur'an?

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

The Holy Spirit is the conduit of divine support and assistance bestowed on Prophets, Messengers as well as righteous people who strive in the path of Allah. Sheikh Ahmad Kutty

What Is Meant by the Holy Spirit in surat al-Ma'idah (5: 110)
    [
    اذ قال الله ياعيسى ابن مريم اذكر نعمتي عليك وعلى والدتك اذ ايدتك بروح القدس تكلم الناس في المهد وكهلا واذ علمتك الكتاب والحكمة والتوراة والانجيل واذ تخلق من الطين كهيئة الطير باذني فتنفخ فيها فتكون طيرا باذني وتبرئ الاكمه والابرص باذني واذ تخرج الموتى باذني واذ كففت بني اسرائيل عنك اذ جئتهم بالبينات فقال الذين كفروا منهم ان هذا الا سحر مبين]

"The Holy Spirit mentioned in the above verse refers to the Angel Jibreel (Gabriel), also known as Jibraaeel; he is the message-bearer par excellence from Allah, the Lord of Glory and Grace; he is also the conduit of divine support and assistance bestowed on Prophets, Messengers as well as righteous people who strive in the path of Allah.

1. Thus we read in the Qur’an that the Prophets (peace be upon them all) are chosen by Allah by sending down the Holy Spirit with the revelations: “He sends down the Spirit from His command, upon those of His servants He chooses, in order to warn people of the Day of Meeting.” (Ghafir: 15)

2. We also read in the Qur’an that it (the Qur’an) was sent down upon the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) through the medium of Holy Spirit: “Say: The Holy Spirit brought it down from your Lord with the truth, to strengthen those who believe, and as a guidance and good tidings to the Muslims.” (An-Nahl: 102)

"And your Lord, He is indeed the August, the Compassionate. And it is a sending down from the Lord of the Worlds, brought down by the Trustworthy Spirit, upon your heart, that you may be one of the warners, in Arabic speech.” (Ash-Shu`ara': 191-195)

3. It is in the same spirit that we read in the Qur’an that the Holy Spirit was sent down to strengthen Jesus and assist him in his work:
    “We gave Jesus, son of Mary, clear signs, and strengthened him with the Holy Spirit…” (Al-Baqarah: 253)

“Then Allah will say, O Jesus son of Mary! Remember My favor upon you and upon your mother; how I strengthened you with the Holy Spirit…” (Al-Ma'idah: 110)

4. Furthermore, we read in the Prophetic traditions: The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Verily, the Holy Spirit has cast this idea in my heart: No soul shall die before its appointed time and without having exhausted the means of livelihood apportioned for it, so try to look for a livelihood as best as you can, but don’t seek it through unlawful means.” (Reported by Abu Nu`aym in Hilyah)

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) prayed to Allah to strengthen the famous poet Hassan ibn Thabit with the Holy Spirit in composing poems in defense of Islam: “O Allah! Strengthen him with the Holy Spirit.” (Reported by al-Bukhari)

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) later on said about Hassan: “Verily Allah, the Glorious and Mighty, is strengthening Hassan with the Holy Spirit.” (Reported by at-Tirmidhi and Ahmad) “The Holy Spirit is with Hassan in his work!” (Reported by Abu Dawud)

It should be clear from the above that the Holy Spirit is the Angel Jibreel sent by Allah to assist His chosen servants in their divinely ordained missions."

Excerpted by Islamonline.net, with slight modifications, from: www.islam.ca

trick 1 - What Is Meant by the Holy Spirit in the Qur'an? Allah Almighty knows best.

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty
    lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Last edited by doorster; 05-30-2009 at 04:15 AM.

2. Report bad ads?
    alcurad's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: What Is Meant by the Holy Spirit in the Qur'an?

thx for sharing

” إن الأمة التي تحسن صناعة الموت توهب لها الحياة”

正直・・・微妙

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Interesting. So according to the Qu'ran the Holy Spirit is the angel Gabriel?

The expression 'to be strengthened with the Holy Spirit' sounds much more like an internal process than the visitation of an angel (as, perhaps, in the example of the angel bringing the message to Mary)

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - What Is Meant by the Holy Spirit in the Qur'an?

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad View Post
    thx for sharing
    You are most welcome!
    format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Interesting. So according to the Qu'ran the Holy Spirit is the angel Gabriel?

The expression 'to be strengthened with the Holy Spirit' sounds much more like an internal process than the visitation of an angel (as, perhaps, in the example of the angel bringing the message to Mary)
    Ahlan wa Sahlan

I posted this for Grace Seeker who wanted us all to understand one another's terms and phraseology but that evangelist "follower" insisted that we (Muslims) should learn from him as to what we believe or understand of our religion so I got out of the un-Moderated thread and started this to escape him
    are you going to do the same as Follower? or can you just go as far as GraceSeeker wanted to go and leave it at that?

ma'asalaama

6. Report bad ads?
    glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I am quite happy to gain a better understanding of what Muslims believe.
    Are you interested in understanding the beliefs of Christians better?

The Holy Spirit in a good example of different terminology between Christianity and Islam.
    The same word, but apparently a very different meaning and concept.

Peace

P.S. I didn't realise that there were un-moderated sections in this forum. Are you sure about that?

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - What Is Meant by the Holy Spirit in the Qur'an?

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

P.S. I didn't realise that there were un-moderated sections in this forum. Are you sure about that?
    Positive! unless you mean wholesale deleting of posts/locking of threads at random, as moderation, then whole site is fully moderated

9. Hide
Hey there! What Is Meant by the Holy Spirit in the Qur'an? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. What Is Meant by the Holy Spirit in the Qur'an?