× Register Login What's New! Contact us

View Poll Results: What is your idea of a beautiful person?

Voters
45. Login to vote on this poll
  • Someone who is white and has colored eyes

1 2.22%
  • Someone who is phyically attractive regardless of color

24 53.33%
  • Someone who is pious and God fearing

25 55.56%
  • Someone who is dark preferally tall and handsome as well

5 11.11%
  • Beauty comes from the multiple layers of their personality which exudes them

33 73.33%
  • none of those, will comment below..

5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 64 visibility 9274

A strange phenomenon

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

A strange phenomenon

Report bad ads?

I was on this mostly Arabic forum (trying still to get a translation) to some antiquated Arabic poem, when I chanced upon a few unusual threads, I must confess, I am rather glad to be a part of this Muslim community, since the preoccupation of the people on this other board seem so minute by comparison...

I just need to run this random anonymous poll, and pls don't describe or tell me anything about your person.. but I need to genuinely know your general idea of a beautiful person.. everyone can participate on this thread from all religions and all walks of life.. to make a comment, I was rather appalled to say the least that a sister on that forum in order to assert a point about how lovely her people are posted a picture of her son (who has green eyes) and made a comment about how her people don't have dark skin like they are often portrayed..

well I personally thought that is the least of her problems in such a case, but I think from my travels, I find a certain preoccupation with whitness and skin color.. maybe it hasn't affected me personally, since I grew up outside and many of my family members have major recessive traits almost bordering upon albinism themselves, but I never really viewed this as an asset, the many times I thought of purchasing a tanning bed and spent money on self tanning creams probably holds as an abomination in some of those regions... I guess maybe on some level I too have a particular concept of beauty but I like to believe it more than skin deep..

I wonder how we can cause a shift in gears so that the priorities of some of these people focuses on far more pressing issues, like their general condition, health, education and the despots that are governing them rather than whether their skin color makes them more nubile and desirable...

I was rather, sad and upset by the whole affair, I doubt that I'll last long on that forum, to begin with I simply wanted a transltion, but there is such a disparity of the thought process itself, after I made a very diplomatic comment which I am not sure how it will be received, I am sure to be banned in the very near future...

nonetheless.. I am making a small poll but you are certainly free to simply leave your comment without resorting to it..

Thank you in advance

A strange phenomenon

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - A strange phenomenon

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: A strange phenomenon

p.s this is a multiple choice poll

A strange phenomenon

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - A strange phenomenon

chat Quote

~Taalibah~'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I voted for the second last. But to add, i think there has to be at least a certain amount of outwardly appeal as well.
    A strange phenomenon

Welcom to my sites
    ~~~~~~~~~
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    subhanAllah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude View Post
    A combination of:

Someone who is phyically attractive regardless of color
    Someone who is pious and God fearing
    Beauty comes from the multiple layers of their personality which exudes them
    That's what I voted too.

Lol, it amuses me when people say "colored eyes", it's like 'what? when did brown stop being a color?'

Where I come from, and many other arab countries, the "beautiful" person is very white, has blue or green eyes, blond hair, tall, and thin. Now they could have the worst features ever, but if they fit that "color scheme", then they are considered beautiful. Ahh the rants my friends and I have about these societal ideals.

Beauty. Ahh beauty. Such a lovely thing to think about.
    Of course, beauty is subjective. To me, it's the combination of everything that makes a person. It is physical attractiveness, an incredible personality, beautiful manners all blended in a harmonious mixture.

I may find gorgeous person ugly due to their lack of manners, or their dull or nasty personality. No matter how good they look, no one wants to spend time with a person with a lower IQ than a rock. A plain jane might be transformed into a lustrous charming person because of her great personality.

As for physical beauty, I don't think anyone can have a specific "ideal". I may say I like people with brown hair, but find someone with black hair good looking. It's impossible to pin point a certain set of features and say that that makes a beautiful person. Of course, people have preferences, so one may notice that the majority of people they find beautiful have a certain feature, but it's not the be all and end all of everything.

To say that "so and so" is beautiful is impossible, because beauty can only be judged individually, it depends on each specific person. And even then, what one person percieves as beautiful, might not be percieved that way by someone else.
    A strange phenomenon

alhamdullilah.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Güven's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

A combination of:

Someone who is physically attractive regardless of color
    ditto!

format_quote Originally Posted by crayon View Post

Lol, it amuses me when people say "colored eyes", it's like 'what? when did brown stop being a color?'
    I was thinking the exact same thing.
    A strange phenomenon

And as for the one who fears standing in front of His Lord and restrains the soul from impure evil desires and lusts, verily, Paradise will be his abode [79:40-41]
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    subhanAllah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye View Post

rather than whether their skin color makes them more nubile and desirable...
    I'd never heard that word before. It sounds so amusing. I googled its meaning, and its meaning is even more amusing, lol!
    Thank you for teaching me something new!
    A strange phenomenon

alhamdullilah.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'd never heard that word before. It sounds so amusing. I googled its meaning, and its meaning is even more amusing, lol!
    Thank you for teaching me something new!

lol.. thank you and thank you for your comment it was really worth reading, but I think I know why you wrote that comment on a more personal level..
    You have nothing to prove to anyone and they do, and I am not sure where that NEED comes from, and it really is a need.. almost like what they have isn't enough.. there is always this vacillation between discontent and show offiness .. and it is very off putting to me personally...

I really believe with some of them that the color scheme you speak of is indeed more important than someone who is perceived as attractive all together... in other words if you put a brad pit vs keanu reeves, pit would be chosen simply for his recessive traits...

and then what they say and write wouldn't matter either because they can't get past their enchantment with their achromatic hues lol...

It is really very sad when you think about it, since I think that translates to other aspects of their lives and not simply stop at the superficial.. they genuinely deeply believe that whiteness equals more superior.. I wonder if this has to do with being occupied by the brits?

there was an experiment once carried out between two groups of children where they divided the blue eyed vs the brown eyed, doted on one group, and the other group really did believe that they were inferior.. I have to find the name of that experiment since I came across it in undergrad..

the problem now, is how to fix this on a massive scale?

A strange phenomenon

chat Quote

Sister_Zee's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam,

Well as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you are a good person and God fearing regardless of your color I think that it will reflect on your face and give you a sense of serenity that people will be attracted to. At the same time humans like beauty in the physical sense so if you have a person who is physically pretty and God fearing while the other less physically pretty and also God fearing most people who choose the first as the most beautiful.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    subhanAllah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

lol.. thank you and thank you for your comment it was really worth reading, but I think I know why you wrote that comment on a more personal level..
    You have nothing to prove to anyone and they do, and I am not sure where that NEED comes from, and it really is a need.. almost like what they have isn't enough.. there is always this vacillation between discontent and show offiness .. and it is very off putting to me personally...

I really believe with some of them that the color scheme you speak of is indeed more important than someone who is perceived as attractive all together... in other words if you put a brad pit vs keanu reeves, pit would be chosen simply for his recessive traits...

and then what they say and write wouldn't matter either because they can't get past their enchantment with their achromatic hues lol...

It is really very sad when you think about it, since I think that translates to other aspects of their lives and not simply stop at the superficial.. they genuinely deeply believe that whiteness equals more superior.. I wonder if this has to do with being occupied by the brits?

there was an experiment once carried out between two groups of children where they divided the blue eyed vs the brown eyed, doted on one group, and the other group really did believe that they were inferior.. I have to find the name of that experiment since I came across it in undergrad..

the problem now, is how to fix this on a massive scale?

Wa alaikum asalam

It's a need to be approved as "acceptable" by society. Soceity paints the ideal woman as X, so most women will try their best to be X. Ideal man as Y, they'll try to be Y. If they are anything other than X or Y they will do everything they can to change, and if they can't change, they hate themselves, have low self esteem and no self worth.

Lol, true about brad pitt vs. keanu reeves, that's exactly it... Hell, you could probably ask them to choose between john heder and keanu and they'd say john heder! Because he's blond and has blue eyes!

I've heard of that experiment, yeah, very interesting.

How to fix it? Now that is the question.
    Get people to understand what beauty really is, and that it's not a one size fits all kind of thing.. How to do that? No clue.
    A strange phenomenon

alhamdullilah.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Get people to understand what beauty really is, and that it's not a one size fits all kind of thing.. How to do that? No clue.

Rofl, neither do I, but we have to, we recognize a problem, the next logical thing is to search for a solution.. I feel really compelled to do something but not sure how to do it..
    also so long as they are fixated on such trivialities, they'll never recover to salvage the big picture, I just want to get a pail of cold water and toss it on all their heads collectively to wake up..

sob7an Allah.. isn't it sad how westerners perceive us, but the real misfortune is how we perceive ourselves ...

A strange phenomenon

chat Quote

Tony's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Islamic belief
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

kind, genuine and no makeup, red hair, freckles and confident. Trustworthy
    A strange phenomenon

"O ye who belive! Endure, outdo all others in endurance, be ready, and observe your duty to Allah, in order that you may succeed"
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^ lol is your wife standing in the back of you with a knife and an 'aha it better be'?

A strange phenomenon

chat Quote

Zafran's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

A combination of:

salaam

same combination

peace
    A strange phenomenon

Do you think the pious don't sin?

They merely:
    Veiled themselves and didn't flaunt it
    Sought forgiveness and didn't persist
    Took ownership of it and don't justify it
    And acted with excellence after they had erred - Ibn al-Qayyim
    chat Quote

Tony's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Islamic belief
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^ lol is your wife standing in the back of you with a knife and an 'aha it better be'?

you found me out, and yes I have got a bald spot from being under the thumb
    A strange phenomenon

"O ye who belive! Endure, outdo all others in endurance, be ready, and observe your duty to Allah, in order that you may succeed"
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    The Ruler's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

... And someone with power. *Thinks Kaname, hmmh*
    A strange phenomenon

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Same as Alpha Sr.
    chat Quote

S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

ditto...colour to me doesnt matter...i know a lot of people in my culture see white= handsome..but to me its not the skin colour only (im talking just on looks) and black- omg black or 'kaaroh/kaaree' and ive seen some people who have been deemed handsome only because of their colour but to me other than the 'whiteness':blind:

and of course the person can be the best looking but if their character sucks then in the end thats what really matters.
    chat Quote

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

For me it would first have to be compatible sense of humour, because I do and say a lot of strange yet (sometimes) hilarious things; if you have that sense of humour already, we're good to roll (note: this is usually how I determine who's my friend or not, so if you possess these qualities, that is 10 brownie points already). Attractiveness to an extent but I'm not after jaw-dropping bombshells - medium build (that's another 10 brownie points). Piety also to an extent, but again not after some uber hafiz (not that that is a bad thing of course!)

It's weird, in some ways I'd want her to be my best friend (have a laugh, go out and watch transformers, play vs me on SF games) and in many others, I'd want her to replicate my mum (loving, caring, extremely accurate with her slipper-throwing techniques).

You know what, it is far too late for me to be talking about this. I'm going to bed.
    Last edited by aamirsaab; 06-07-2009 at 10:53 PM.
    A strange phenomenon

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

GreyKode's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    extremely accurate with her slipper-throwing techniques).
    l o l
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Ibn Abi Ahmed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Quite an interesting thread. I have to agree with wise man, Alpha Dude (there's a reason he's Alpha) :P

Someone who is physically attractive regardless of color
    Just to add some more food for thought, in addition to the above, would there be something wrong with having a preference towards feature x or y? I mean, for example if a man does like something, such as green eyes or brown eyes for example, and would prefer it because he's attracted to it, is there something wrong in this? Assuming he will choose a wife based on proper criteria, what is the problem with liking certain things?

I think that's a mountain of a task when there's a massive ad campaign out there portraying a certain type of beauty as the ideal perfection.
    A strange phenomenon

Do not argue with your Lord on behalf of your soul, rather argue with your soul on behalf of your Lord.” - Dhul-Nun

"It is the very pursuit of happiness that thwarts happiness." - Victor Frankl
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! A strange phenomenon Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. A strange phenomenon