× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 31 visibility 7768

Doha Debates ft Yasir Qadhi

brightness_1
    Servant of Allāh
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Motion: "This House believes that Muslim women should be free to marry anyone they choose."

Watch: http://www.thedohadebates.com/debate...sp?d=50&res=hi

Read: The Doha Debates: An Insider’s Perspective (Yasir Qadhi, Asra Nomani & Women’s Freedom to Marry) [MuslimMatters]

Your thoughts ?
    Last edited by Al-Hanbali; 06-10-2009 at 05:58 PM.

قال ابن أبي مليكة : أدركت ثلاثين من أصحاب النبي - صلى الله عليه وسلم - كلهم يخاف النفاق على نفسه
    Ibn Abī Mulaykah said: "I encountered thirty Companions of the Prophet, every one of them fearing hypocrisy for himself." [Muslim]
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Doha Debates ft Yasir Qadhi

I like these debates. Imma watch, thnxx!

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    LI News Service
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

JazakAllah Khayr. I was looking for this!

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That's ridiculous. For the motion was greater lol. The azra nomani lady was being a suckup, speaking of her own desires lol. Anyway it was interesting. Thanks for sharin.

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Zafran's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salaam

The video doesnt work guys for me????

peace

Do you think the pious don't sin?

They merely:
    Veiled themselves and didn't flaunt it
    Sought forgiveness and didn't persist
    Took ownership of it and don't justify it
    And acted with excellence after they had erred - Ibn al-Qayyim
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Servant of Allāh
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ working fine for me ...

قال ابن أبي مليكة : أدركت ثلاثين من أصحاب النبي - صلى الله عليه وسلم - كلهم يخاف النفاق على نفسه
    Ibn Abī Mulaykah said: "I encountered thirty Companions of the Prophet, every one of them fearing hypocrisy for himself." [Muslim]
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan View Post
    ^ working fine for me ...
    Salaam

ok it works

peace

They merely:
    chat Quote

rpwelton's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Go Yasir Qadhi!

It sounded to me like Asra wants to change this whole religion, and Habash made very strange points, suggesting some kind of hybrid "Muslim/Christian" person.
    Last edited by rpwelton; 06-10-2009 at 08:05 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salaam

wow i'm shocked about the poll.

They merely:
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton View Post
    Go Yasir Qadhi!

It sounded to me like Asra wants to change this whole religion, and Habash made very strange points, suggesting some kind of hybrid "Muslim/Christian" person.
    Yea seriously. The lady next to him, thoraya, was cool too.

chat Quote

rpwelton's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven View Post
    Yea seriously. The lady next to him, thoraya, was cool too.
    I agree. However, Yasir Qadhi was (for the most part) the only one arguing from a religious point of view. Since Islam is a complete system, every aspect of life is governed by religion. Therefor it doesn't make sense to be arguing from a point other than religion when it comes to being a Muslim. We can't just act on our whims and desires, or based on the pretext laid out by modern society. We have a code of law to follow, and that is the Law of Allah.

In my opinion, while the debate was interesting, this is not a subject that is open to interpretation by just anybody. Sh. Qadhi was the only scholar/cleric on the board, and thus the only one with any real weight to his answers.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Servant of Allāh
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ yh...

Yasir Qadhi's basic point was that as a Muslim, there will definately be some boundaries which cannot be crossed, and if you do want to cross them, then leave religion out of it.

Asra on the other hand, firstly wasn't justifying any of her views from an Islamic perspective and secondly, kept on responding to YQ with, 'that's your version of Islam'. Definately speaking from her whims and desires!

That other guy was either confused or didn't have a clue about what he was saying!

Thorya; she made some OK points though I didn't find them much convincing.

chat Quote

Ibn Abi Ahmed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Shaykh Yasir Qadhi, Masha'Allaah, handled it very well (his premise, and responses thereafter were brilliant Masha'Allaah), and the Sister that was speaking with him. I thought Sh. Yasir's replies were pretty much on the dot, and I really liked how he didn't let himself get caught up in the scapegoats Nomani kept trying to throw. May Allaah protect him. The Syrian brother, to me seemed confused as to what he really believed, as Sh. Yasir said, he probably just belonged on the other side of the table. I also really liked how Sh. Yasir kept devaluing Nomani's point by clearly showing that much of what happens is just due to culture and not Islam thereby demolishing her whole premise and argument.

One thing I noticed was how Nomani was trying to get her point across by appealing to emotions - not only was it sad to see (it looked like a desperate attempt), it showed that she really had no substance in her responses so had to appeal to something that has no standing in a factual discussion. Also, her point on showing 'unconditional love' made no sense, it wasn't much of a practical 'reconciliation'; and lastly you can see how her side of the argument bases it's opinion on ra'y, and the dangers of unconstrained ra'y and straying from the Book and the Sunnah.

And Masha'Allaah the first questioner, the sister from Seattle, she was on point with her questions! May Allaah protect her, I'm sure she really was a thorn in Nomani's side with her firm belief and sticking openly to the Deen. I'm surprised the vote wasn't higher against the motion.

Do not argue with your Lord on behalf of your soul, rather argue with your soul on behalf of your Lord.” - Dhul-Nun

"It is the very pursuit of happiness that thwarts happiness." - Victor Frankl
    chat Quote

Chuck's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Motion was too broad.

It is not Al-Birr (piety, righteousness, and obedience to Allâh, etc.) that you turn your faces towards east and (or) west (in prayers); but Al-Birr is (the quality of) the one who believes in Allâh, the Last Day, the Angels, the Book, the Prophets and gives his wealth, in spite of love for it, to the kinsfolk, to the orphans, and to Al-Masâkîn (the poor), and to the wayfarer, and to those who ask, and to set slaves free, performs As-Salât, and gives the Zakât, and keep their word whenever they make a promise, and who are patient in extreme poverty and ailment (disease) and at the time of persecution, hardship, and war. Such are the people of the truth and they are Al-Muttaqûn (the pious).

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The debate was actually 1 hour and 40 minutes and they edited to 47.

http://muslimmatters.org/2009/05/26/...#comment-44483

Do not argue with your Lord on behalf of your soul, rather argue with your soul on behalf of your Lord.” - Dhul-Nun

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton View Post
    I agree. However, Yasir Qadhi was (for the most part) the only one arguing from a religious point of view. Since Islam is a complete system, every aspect of life is governed by religion. Therefor it doesn't make sense to be arguing from a point other than religion when it comes to being a Muslim. We can't just act on our whims and desires, or based on the pretext laid out by modern society. We have a code of law to follow, and that is the Law of Allah.

In my opinion, while the debate was interesting, this is not a subject that is open to interpretation by just anybody. Sh. Qadhi was the only scholar/cleric on the board, and thus the only one with any real weight to his answers.
    I'm not sure I said otherwise. I said she was cool too, not I loved her opinion and is the best or I would go with any opinion unislamically. Obviously Islam is meant to govern our every aspect of life. I already know this....

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

JazakAllah Khayr for the original one,I rather watch the whole and understand fully rather then watch half and get a few basic points on the debate.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ah, Asra Nomani. She babbles on, it's ridiculous. If she thinks she's a face for womens' liberation, may Allah help all women. :-/ Sheikh Yaasir Qadhi was perfect tho mashaAllah.

Thoraya wasn't bad, but yea her premises were flimsy. It's foolish to assume that just because a young individual wants to marry somebody, and his or her family is against that person that the family is right. I don't deny that there is a greater chance for the family to be correct, and that the young person is acting on their hearts desires rather than rational thoughts. I'm aware that parents know better, and have greater insight than we do. But that's not always the case, there are cases where the individual is on the right and their family is wrong due to cultural and un Islamic reasons, and she failed to mention that there are exceptions.

I think the motion was too broad, and that's why some voted in favor, but I'm not too sure.

"...You are my Walî in this world and in the Hereafter. Cause me to die as a Muslim, and join me with the righteous." [Surah Yusuf 101]
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr View Post
    JazakAllah Khayr for the original one,I rather watch the whole and understand fully rather then watch half and get a few basic points on the debate.
    That's probably the most we're going to get, so you should watch it bro.

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah View Post

Ah, Asra Nomani. She babbles on, it's ridiculous. If she thinks she's a face for womens' liberation, may Allah help all women. :-/ Sheikh Yaasir Qadhi was perfect tho mashaAllah.

Thoraya wasn't bad, but yea her premises were flimsy. It's foolish to assume that just because a young individual wants to marry somebody, and his or her family is against that person that the family is right. I don't deny that there is a greater chance for the family to be correct, and that the young person is acting on their hearts desires rather than rational thoughts. I'm aware that parents know better, and have greater insight than we do. But that's not always the case, there are cases where the individual is on the right and their family is wrong due to cultural and un Islamic reasons, and she failed to mention that there are exceptions.

I think the motion was too broad, and that's why some voted in favor, but I'm not too sure.
    Yeap totally

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Doha Debates ft Yasir Qadhi Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Doha Debates ft Yasir Qadhi