× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 41 visibility 5892

Can strangers enable your webcam??

-Elle-'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Une simple vie
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

I once heard that strangers on the internet can enable your webcam from their computer! Of course it requires some sort of hacking or something, but I do remember it came from a reliable source,maybe a documentary or something, because it got stuck in my head.

At the time I didn't have one but now it's built into my new computer so it kinda freaks me out.

Does anyone know if this is actually possible?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Can strangers enable your webcam??

Yes it's possible. Even your mic can be hacked. Put a sticker over the lens

and.. http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2....257393004592ED
    chat Quote

Beardo's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Weirdo + Beard = Beardo
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yeah. My friend was telling me (whose in the US) that his cousin (in dubai) turned on his camera just by using his IP address.

I get scared because both my lappies have a webcam on them. Though, the light turns on when the cam is on, unless they have a way to turn that off...
    chat Quote

Vito's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad View Post
    Yeah. My friend was telling me (whose in the US) that his cousin (in dubai) turned on his camera just by using his IP address.

I get scared because both my lappies have a webcam on them. Though, the light turns on when the cam is on, unless they have a way to turn that off...
    There are cameras that are network based where it can be configured and monitored remotely. The basic webcams that are built into these laptops are no where near as advanced as those. If he controlled his friends webcam through an IP address, then he either has one of those cameras that support remote connectivity or he had remote access to his computer which can easily be disabled or more secured (whatever his case may be).

@houda~, yes the possibility is there but, I wouldn't be concerned about it to be honest. If it bothers you, you can always disable it whenever you aren't using it and re-enable it. And once your computer loses internet connectivity (shut down, sleep / hibernate mode / etc.) no one can do anything unless they were physically there.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Une simple vie
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah View Post
    Yes it's possible. Even your mic can be hacked. Put a sticker over the lens

and.. http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2....257393004592ED
    lol! seriously I think I might do that. I checked out the website, oh my Lord...I really hate webcams but most laptops have them built-in nowadays so I didn't really have a choice.

:|

@houda~, yes the possibility is there but, I wouldn't be concerned about it to be honest. If it bothers you, you can always disable it whenever you aren't using it and re-enable it. And once your computer loses internet connectivity (shut down, sleep / hibernate mode / etc.) no one can do anything unless they were physically there.
    Well,when you wear hijab even 0.000001% possibility is enough to freak you out...i don't mean to be paranoid but I always had this question in the back of my mind,I never really cared though since I never wanted a webcam.

So I did disable it, but is that enough or should I completly remove the program from my computer? The camera itself will still be there though so I don't see the point in uninstalling the camera...

I think I need to go buy some stickers.lol
    Last edited by -Elle-; 01-09-2010 at 04:53 AM.
    chat Quote

Alphadude's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes it's true.hackers can do that but If you have any viruses or anything on your computer it can let the other person spy on you.

Scanning your PC regularly can make a big difference but still consider turning the webcam off or unplugging it when not in use. Better to be safe than sorry.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yea you can disable it and even uninstall it completely if you aren't going to use it. I don't know what your using but you can do it from device manager.

Here is if you are using windows xp: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...essdmcmuxp.htm

Here is if you are using windows vista / 7 : http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...pendmvista.htm

Once your in the device manager, you will have to click around to find the webcam. I'm not sure where those things are located. Once you find it, just right click on it and either hit disable or uninstall. If you decide to uninstall it, you will have to reinstall the drivers by either downloading it or from a cd if it came with one.
    chat Quote

Alphadude's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai- View Post
    Yea you can disable it and even uninstall it completely if you aren't going to use it. I don't know what your using but you can do it from device manager.

Here is if you are using windows xp: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...essdmcmuxp.htm

Here is if you are using windows vista / 7 : http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...pendmvista.htm

Once your in the device manager, you will have to click around to find the webcam. I'm not sure where those things are located. Once you find it, just right click on it and either hit disable or uninstall. If you decide to uninstall it, you will have to reinstall the drivers by either downloading it or from a cd if it came with one.
    it does not matter if the hacker has access to you pc and infected your pc with a virus then u dont have the control they can turn it on
    chat Quote

Afg's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I guess then covering the lens with something should do.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by khalid84 View Post
    it does not matter if the hacker has access to you pc and infected your pc with a virus then u dont have the control they can turn it on

They can't turn it on if it isn't installed. And most antivirus programs are enough to prevent these files from getting on your computer, even the free ones.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Une simple vie
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by khalid84 View Post
    yeah thats what I thought too..I regularly scan my computer, so I guess that's good.

They can't turn it on if it isn't installed. And most antivirus programs are enough to prevent these files from getting on your computer, even the free ones.
    So if I uninstall it completly nothing to worry about? Maybe that's what I'll do then...I have an antivirus program,so insh'Allah that'll help.

Anyway, now I know that I wasn't completly wrong about webcams, I suggest others to take precaution also... creepy world out there. Sometimes I wonder if the Internet causes more harm or good. but that's another thread!
    chat Quote

Alpha Dude's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Cold of heart
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ever since I heard about hackers being able to gain access to webcams, I always used some masking tape to cover it up.

It felt as though I was being watched. :><:
    chat Quote

Cabdullahi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

the 'ultimate hint' is found in the fact that every laptop has a cctv camera and now monitors are also being made with these cctvs
    chat Quote

Allaah Knows's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

SubhaanAllaah I didn't know this!

JazaakumuLlaahu khayr
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Une simple vie
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ever since I heard about hackers being able to gain access to webcams, I always used some masking tape to cover it up.

good to know that im not the only one a bit paranoid

But doesn't masking tape ruin the look of your laptop? isn't there anything else you can use...all I can think of is stickers,which aren't that better..

It felt as though I was being watched.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii View Post
    the 'ultimate hint' is found in the fact that every laptop has a cctv camera and now monitors are also being made with these cctvs

what's cctvs??...

SubhaanAllaah I didn't know this!

JazaakumuLlaahu khayr
    scary huh
    Last edited by -Elle-; 01-09-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    chat Quote

Raaina's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

:| ok this thread is worrying.

I've never heard of this before.

Fab site for sisters - Based in Midlands, UK
    Pearl Daisy

The hypocrite looks for faults; the believer looks for excuses.
    chat Quote

Cabdullahi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by houda~ View Post
    good to know that im not the only one a bit paranoid

But doesn't masking tape ruin the look of your laptop? isn't there anything else you can use...all I can think of is stickers,which aren't that better..

It felt as though I was being watched.

what's cctvs??...
    fthlso 1 - Can strangers enable your webcam??
    chat Quote

Alpha Dude's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Cold of heart
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Nahh it's ok. Just make a neat cut and place it over the cam. You don't notice it after a while. Besides, it's about getting use out of the laptop, not about how pretty it is.

Replace the tape every so often (after wiping the plastic) so that no sticky marks are left over (not that there usually is).
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by houda~ View Post

So if I uninstall it completly nothing to worry about? Maybe that's what I'll do then...I have an antivirus program,so insh'Allah that'll help.
    Yea. No need to put tape or anything over it if you can't even use it in the first place.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Une simple vie
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon View Post
    :| ok this thread is worrying.

I've never heard of this before.

Worries me too sis..
    format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii View Post
    fthlso 1 - Can strangers enable your webcam??

Oh God.

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude View Post
    Nahh it's ok. Just make a neat cut and place it over the cam. You don't notice it after a while. Besides, it's about getting use out of the laptop, not about how pretty it is.

Replace the tape every so often (after wiping the plastic) so that no sticky marks are left over (not that there usually is).

Lol true, I guess because I just got it, I am concerned with it's aesthetics...but that's nothing compared to eliminating the risk of hackers (however minim a chance they might have) of seeing you...yikes.

Sticker it is then, jazak'Allah kheir all!
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Can strangers enable your webcam?? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Can strangers enable your webcam??