× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 92 visibility 9834

Haiti devastated by massive earthquake

aadil77's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Glory Be To Allah
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

A massive 7.0-magnitude earthquake has struck the Caribbean nation of Haiti.

The extent of the devastation is still unclear but there are fears thousands of people may have died.

Haiti's worst quake in two centuries hit south of the capital Port-au-Prince on Tuesday, wrecking the presidential palace, UN HQ and other buildings.

A "large number" of UN personnel were reported missing by the organisation. Many people have spent the night outside amid fears of more aftershocks.

The Red Cross says up to three million people have been affected.

Describing the earthquake as a "catastrophe", Haiti's envoy to the US said the cost of the damage could run into billions.

A number of nations, including the US, UK and Venezuela, are gearing up to send aid.

The quake, which struck about 15km (10 miles) south-west of Port-au-Prince, was quickly followed by two strong aftershocks of 5.9 and 5.5 magnitude.

The tremor hit at 1653 (2153 GMT) on Tuesday, the US Geological Survey said. Phone lines to the country failed shortly afterwards.

There is still no official word on casualties and the extent of the devastation is only now becoming clearer with dawn breaking.

China has already indicated in reports in state media that eight of its peacekeepers are buried and feared dead, with another 10 unaccounted for.

I think hundreds of casualties would be a serious understatement

Rachmani Domersant, operations manager, Food for the Poor

The AFP news agency quoted the Jordanian army as saying three of its peacekeepers had been killed and 21 wounded.

The Brazilian army said four of its peacekeepers were killed and a large number were missing.

A French official told AFP about 200 people were missing in the collapsed Hotel Montana, which is popular with tourists.

There have also been some reports of looting overnight.

Rachmani Domersant, an operations manager with the Food for the Poor charity, told Reuters that overnight the capital was in total darkness.

"You have thousands of people sitting in the streets with nowhere to go. There are people running, crying, screaming.

"People are trying to dig victims out with flashlights. I think hundreds of casualties would be a serious understatement."

Earlier, bodies white with dust could be seen piled on the back of a pick-up truck as vehicles tried to ferry the injured to hospital.

Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere and has suffered a number of recent disasters, including four hurricanes and storms in 2008 that killed hundreds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8455629.stm
    Qiyamah is near, time is flyin past us and it just feels alot nearer these days
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Maryan0's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Haiti devastated by massive earthquake

I can only imagine how much worse this earthquake will make things for this already struggling and deeply impoverished nation.
    salam
    chat Quote

heavenlyspot's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

May the victims be aided swiftly. These occurances always happen to the people who least deserve it.
    chat Quote

-Elle-'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Une simple vie
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Watching this on the news is so heart-wrenching, more so when they show children...I really can't bear it. At times it reminds me of our brothers and sisters in Palestine, Iraq, and other countries..

It also reminds me how fragile we all are. When I watch what's going on there I keep on asking myself how difficult it must be for them to perform even the simplest everyday task now that their hole city is in ruins..

AlhamdulillAh we are so blessed honestly, we take so many little things for granted. We are going to sleep in our beds now and the children there who've lost their homes and families are out in the streets...Dear God. They spoke about this man who lost his wife and 3 other loved ones I believe...can't even imagine how that must feel so I won't even write anything about it. No words to describe it really.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    LI News Service
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)
    chat Quote

Innocent Soul's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamualiakum
    I really become upset after reading this news.
    May Allah show us the right path.
    Ameen
    chat Quote

Raaina's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I've been following oxfam updates on this on twitter. Really is heartbreaking. I couldn't watch the pictures on the tv.

I've donated money already.

I'm going to be listing things on eBay at weekend, all money will be donated to the Oxfam Haiti appeal.

Fab site for sisters - Based in Midlands, UK
    Pearl Daisy

The hypocrite looks for faults; the believer looks for excuses.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I can't believe this. This strikes the least deserving of nations, a country that can't manage itself anyway. My prayers are with my brothers and sisters suffering from such a disaster in Haiti.
    chat Quote

Life_Is_Short's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un
    'Surely we belong to Allah and to Him shall we return'."
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    sabr*'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Lightbulb Haiti devastated by massive earthquake

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Bismillā hir Rahmā nir Rahīm
    In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

اشْهَدُ انْ لّآ اِلهَ اِلَّا اللّهُ وَ اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ مُحَمَّدً اعَبْدُه وَ رسوله

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa ašh hadu anna Muhammadun ‘abduhu wa rasūluhu
    I bear witness that none is worthy of worship but Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Surah Baqarah 2:155-156

2:155 Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere.
    (Y. Ali translation)

2:156 Who say, when afflicted with calamity: "To Allah We belong, and to Him is our return":- Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un
    (Y. Ali translation)

2:157 They are those on whom (Descend) blessings from Allah, and Mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance.
    (Y. Ali translation)

Surah Ali Imran 3:186

3:186 Ye shall certainly be tried and tested in your possessions and in your personal selves; and ye shall certainly Hear much that will grieve you, from those who received the Book before you and from those who worship many gods. But if ye persevere patiently, and guard against evil,-then that will be a determining factor in all affairs.
    (Y. Ali translation)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Glory Be To Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Just yesterday they were saying hundreds were dead, now its up to 50,000
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Haiti devastated by massive earthquake

سم الله الرحمن الرحيم

اشْهَدُ انْ لّآ اِلهَ اِلَّا اللّهُ وَ اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ مُحَمَّدً اعَبْدُه وَ رسوله

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa ašh hadu anna Muhammadun ‘abduhu wa rasūluhu
    I bear witness that none is worthy of worship but Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger

POSTED BY MODERATORS OF THE ISLAMIC BOARD:

Posting in the World Affairs Section
    Ansar Al-'Adl Posting in the World Affairs Section - 05-16-2006

*No discussions on conspiracy theories will be allowed. Such conjecture benefits no one.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Same posters pushing conspiracy theories verses facts. Do you know the difference? Theories verse Facts.....

Was the intent of this thread to show sympathy and post well wishes for the People of Haiti and the Muslims in that country or to espouse conspiracy theories. Allahu 'Alim
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Glory Be To Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Haiti earthquake death toll 'may be 50,000'
    On the ground in Haiti with survivors as they desperately plead for help
    The Red Cross estimates 45,000-50,000 people have died in Haiti's devastating earthquake, as rescue teams race against time to find survivors.

The US is sending up to 3,500 troops and 2,200 marines but correspondents say aid is so far only trickling in.

President Barack Obama pledged one of the biggest relief efforts in recent US history and said Haiti would "not be forgotten" in its hour of need.

Aid groups say they need food, water, medical supplies and lifting equipment.

The Red Cross estimates that up to three million people in Haiti have been affected by Tuesday's earthquake.

President Obama: 'Search and rescue teams are actively working to save lives'
    Many are preparing to spend another night without shelter or in makeshift in the ruined capital, Port-au-Prince.

Correspondents there say bodies are piling up in the streets and there is still no sign of a co-ordinated relief effort.

Speaking in Washington on Thursday, Mr Obama said some US rescuers were already on the ground in Haiti and more were on their way.

He promised the country "every element of our national capacity, our diplomacy, and development assistance, the power of our military and most importantly, the compassion of our country" following the disaster.

"To the people of Haiti, we say clearly and with conviction, you will not be forsaken, you will not be forgotten," he said.

AT THE SCENE

I've come across two schools that have completely collapsed, you could see the bodies trapped inside - but there were no rescue teams on the ground. I haven't seen anyone in the two days I've been here.

Haitians are still digging through the rubble with their hands. The bodies are beginning to build up, both on the streets and in public spaces.

There are no coffins here, no arrangements for burials. There is no sense that the promised relief efforts have begun in earnest.

However he warned it would take time for much-needed help to reach people.

Mr Obama also promised an immediate $100m for Haiti's relief effort and said that investment would grow over the coming year to aid long-term recovery.

The first 100-strong contingent from the US Army's 82nd Airborne Division was expected to arrive in Haiti by the end of Thursday, with several hundred more due by Friday.

The USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier and the USS Bataan, carrying a marine expeditionary unit, are on their way.

Gen Douglas Fraser, head of the US Southern Command, told reporters that logistics would be the key to providing relief and that US forces would strive to make Port-au-Prince's port functional again.

The US Federal Aviation Authority earlier temporarily stopped civilian relief flights to Haiti at the Haitian government's request because there was not enough space on the ground for more planes. They have since resumed.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8460417.stm

This post is just incase someone calls the death toll a 'CONSPIRACY THEORY'
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Lightbulb Re: Haiti devastated by massive earthquake

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

The entire section on Manners and Purification of the Soul in IB Islamic Forum, Islamic manners, etiquettes and character; seeking repentance, supplication and drawing closer to Allah is underutilized.

This forum is a wonderful tool to enhance everyone's understanding of Islam. With every good tool in the wrong hands can be misused.

If forum rules are followed everyone's visit should be enlightening.

Be mindful of our Adab ("to invite,Hospitality,good manners) Angels are recording our deeds. Our Islamic conduct is a good example for everyone follow.

Surah Hajj 22:24

22:24 For they have been guided (in this life) to the purest of speeches; they have been guided to the Path of Him Who is Worthy of (all) Praise.
    (Y. Ali translation)

Surah Hujarat 49:13

49:13 O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).
    (Y. Ali translation)
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

For Pete's sake people. Even a thread about an earthquake turns into a US-bashing thread . I'm sure the US is thrilled about the prospect of having to send hundreds of millions more in aid to Haiti.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm also pleased the Prime Minister has promised £6 million of aid to the Haitians.
    chat Quote

The_Prince's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Mars, where they located the ice, it was my freezer where i keep the fish
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding View Post
    For Pete's sake people. Even a thread about an earthquake turns into a US-bashing thread . I'm sure the US is thrilled about the prospect of having to send hundreds of millions more in aid to Haiti.
    the U.S. government was able to give more than a trillion dollars in hand outs to banks and business' during an ECONAMIC CRISIS, and your trying to make the U.S look so holy and great because they have given 100 million to haiti? thats like giving peanuts away.

as others have said, U.S. foreign aid is really nothing when anyone actually compares the numbers and stats to other things they spend money on. and im not complaining neither, the U.S. doesnt have to give anything away, but please oh please dont come here with that silly propaganda that the U.S. always gives so muchhhhh to outsiders when the reality shows that what they actually give, isnt much at all. as i said, its like giving peanuts away.

800 billion dollars sure would look good for haiti right now, what do you say? i think that would be much better money spent than handing it out to rich bankers.
    chat Quote

CosmicPathos's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If a secular state such as Canada or the US can be so moral that they are sending aid money, then what need is for a Sharia state? I am sure no Muslim country has given that much aid yet?

Help me to escape from this existence
    I yearn for an answer... can you help me?
    I'm drowning in a sea of abused visions and shattered dreams
    In somnolent illusion... I'm paralyzed
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist View Post
    If a secular state such as Canada or the US can be so moral that they are sending aid money, then what need is for a Sharia state? I am sure no Muslim country has given that much aid yet?
    This is when it is critical for any Sharia state to send as much as they can, to help prevent the secular aid from becoming a leash around the necks of those getting aid.

Herman 1 - Haiti devastated by massive earthquake

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince View Post
    the U.S. government was able to give more than a trillion dollars in hand outs to banks and business' during an ECONAMIC CRISIS, and your trying to make the U.S look so holy and great because they have given 100 million to haiti? thats like giving peanuts away.

as others have said, U.S. foreign aid is really nothing when anyone actually compares the numbers and stats to other things they spend money on. and im not complaining neither, the U.S. doesnt have to give anything away, but please oh please dont come here with that silly propaganda that the U.S. always gives so muchhhhh to outsiders when the reality shows that what they actually give, isnt much at all. as i said, its like giving peanuts away.

800 billion dollars sure would look good for haiti right now, what do you say? i think that would be much better money spent than handing it out to rich bankers.
    Err...Please calm down. My only point was that disasters like this costs them money and they gain nothing from it. Thus creating a earthquake from their secret facility in Alaska isn't very productive. I wasn't making "silly propaganda that the U.S. always gives so muchhhhh to outsiders". You are just trying to overanalyze my post.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Haiti devastated by massive earthquake Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Haiti devastated by massive earthquake