× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 32 visibility 3933

If you could build something for your religion?

Clover's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Question If you could build something for your religion?

Report bad ads?

If you could build/carve/design/create 1 thing for your religion (God, Gods, No God, etc) what would it be? Mine would be a Shishi for a Shrine. Here is what I would "attempt" to carve:

jufukuji woodwork lion statue TN - If you could build something for your religion?
    Last edited by Beardo; 01-23-2010 at 03:42 AM.

taoism2 1 - If you could build something for your religion?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    //-Asif-\\'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Currently Houston,TX but am following where the straight path will lead
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: If you could build something for your religion?

An Islamic Supercenter. I think that's the best way to put it because I had first thought of putting mall/youth recreation/facility

There would be a Masjid first and foremost but also attached to the center would be an Islamic/Academic School K-12. Along with that would be a state of the art recreation center or gym for sports and such, a library, a dinner/wedding/event hall, a cafe/restaurant that sells halal food,a clinic, a Daw'ah center, stores that house and sell the latest Islamic CD's, books, electronics etc.

It would pretty much be a mini-mall/town hall/times square for Muslims. I mean, as Muslims, we're supposed to treat the Masjid as our town hall for events and to air grievances, have dialogue and discussions and the like rather then just somewhere where we just pray and hightail out of.

This would be a place that would attract non-Muslims for dialogue and have interfaith mingling and events. It would lend a helping hand out to young Muslims especially, attracting them to the Center and keeping them out of trouble by going to normal malls and functions where there is evil and temptation all around them and puts them in a positive setting and atmosphere for them to learn, have fun and build their faith.

InshAllah this should and will be something that will come to fruition one day and not just be a pipedream on a forum.
    chat Quote

Beardo's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Weirdo + Beard = Beardo
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by //-Asif-\\ View Post
    An Islamic Supercenter. I think that's the best way to put it because I had first thought of putting mall/youth recreation/facility

There would be a Masjid first and foremost but also attached to the center would be an Islamic/Academic School K-12. Along with that would be a state of the art recreation center or gym for sports and such, a library, a dinner/wedding/event hall, a cafe/restaurant that sells halal food,a clinic, a Daw'ah center, stores that house and sell the latest Islamic CD's, books, electronics etc.

It would pretty much be a mini-mall/town hall/times square for Muslims. I mean, as Muslims, we're supposed to treat the Masjid as our town hall for events and to air grievances, have dialogue and discussions and the like rather then just somewhere where we just pray and hightail out of.

This would be a place that would attract non-Muslims for dialogue and have interfaith mingling and events. It would lend a helping hand out to young Muslims especially, attracting them to the Center and keeping them out of trouble by going to normal malls and functions where there is evil and temptation all around them and puts them in a positive setting and atmosphere for them to learn, have fun and build their faith.

InshAllah this should and will be something that will come to fruition one day and not just be a pipedream on a forum.
    Oh that sounds so dreamy.

Insha'Allah we can all work towards this one day. Oh, it sounds SO beautiful.

Aren't they building a $40 Million masjid in London or something like this?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

An army... & new kind of weapons.... Like a space-ship.... InshALLAH.
    Last edited by sur; 01-25-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I would build a massive Protestant church in the center of Jerusalem. I would style it on the old Jewish Temple- that is, it'd be open air, have courts and the Holy of Holies would be substituted as the present day Church of the Holy Sepulchre, located at the center of the compund. Even though it would be majority Protestant, Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians would be perfectly welcome to worship there too. It'd be a work of art, with a capacity of around 80,000. Yes indeed.
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The thing I would most like to see built (and I believe I am called to do so by Jesus) is the kingdom of God, as it is said:
    "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - If you could build something for your religion?

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Grace Seeker's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell... I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell" --C.T. Studd

So, I guess that is what I would try to build, a rescue mission.
    chat Quote

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

building something wildly ornamented for your place of worship is superficial. In fact it is said in Islam that one of the signs of the day of judgment are the decorated Qurans and mosques. a place of worship should merely protect from rain or sun, it is what is in the heart that counts not the decorations..
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/87992/The-...y-of-Judgement

I imagine churches are decorated with stain glass, candles and statues and endless colored jesuses to makeup for the fatuity of the faith. If you lack substance and creed, you'll makeup for it with robust tall tales, idol effigies and ornamentation!

peace
    Last edited by جوري; 01-24-2010 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Link

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - If you could build something for your religion?

chat Quote

Life_Is_Short's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I would build a russell group university for islamic education in the west.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye View Post
    I imagine churches are decorated with stain glass, candles and statues and endless colored jesuses to makeup for the fatuity of the faith. If you lack substance and creed, you'll makeup for it with robust tall tales, idol effigies and ornamentation!

peace
    Sad that you think that. A lot of people enjoy making stained glass windows, my aunt makes them for churches and she loves it, and its just a hobby for her not even a job...

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Sad that you think that. A lot of people enjoy making stained glass windows, my aunt makes them for churches and she loves it, and its just a hobby for her not even a job...
    my uncle is an engineer who also works with stain glass on the side, I just don't think hobbies have a place where you go and worship.. not there to admire the art but for the love of God!

peace

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - If you could build something for your religion?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

my uncle is an engineer who also works with stain glass on the side, I just don't think hobbies have a place where you go and worship.. not there to admire the art but for the love of God!

peace
    Well, I don't really have a place to worship. I worship wherever is conveniant. For me, I would want Shishi in my Shrine (if I live to build one in a family shrine this is) for the purpose their meant in all Shrines (or at least all of them I know of).

I believe it depends on how people feel about where they go to worship. I know they removed the stain glass out of my old church, the clock, and all kinds of stuff, said it was taking away time to pray and study the bible. It is a blank place now, although built in the style of most churches are here.

chat Quote

deepfreeze66's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

building something wildly ornamented for your place of worship is superficial. In fact it is said in Islam that one of the signs of the day of judgment are the decorated Qurans and mosques. a place of worship should merely protect from rain or sun, it is what is in the heart that counts not the decorations..
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/87992/The-...y-of-Judgement

peace
    Yeah, everyone does that though. Even Muslim extremists (AND christian, AND hindu, AND buddhist) try to use symbolism to make them look tough and scary.

RAWR!!!!!

If you do not got it, you use symbolism to get your point across.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by deepfreeze66 View Post
    Yeah, everyone does that though. Even Muslim extremists (AND christian, AND hindu, AND buddhist) try to use symbolism to make them look tough and scary.

RAWR!!!!!

If you do not have it, sorry had to correct that, my friend yells at me for saying got.

Not everyone does it. Some people don't even have buildings they go in nature. I know some Pagans/Wicca members who do that.

So, you think all people who put anything in their place of worship, doesn't have the point? I am confused.

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well I personally think churches should be beautiful; indeed, many I've visited have been amongst the most stunning pieces of architecture ever concieved by human minds. They should be beautiful to reflect the beauty of God. That is of course my opinion; my church, despite being incredibly modern (and somehow incredibly rich), is a simple building. The only cross is on the glass doors into the building. I was surprised.

I also like places of worship that combine natural beauty with the beauty of the church. My avatar, the Church of the Beatitudes in Israel features the Sea of Galilee as a stunning backdrop. When I went to Greece, I found many of the stunning blue domed Orthodox churches there also had the blue sea as a backdrop. I might post some in the places of worship thread to show what I mean.
    Last edited by Supreme; 01-24-2010 at 06:04 PM.
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme View Post
    Well I personally think churches should be beautiful; indeed, many I've visited have been amongst the most stunning pieces of architecture ever concieved by human minds. They should be beautiful to reflect the beauty of God. That is of course my opinion; my church, despite being incredibly modern (and somehow incredibly rich), is a simple building. The only cross is on the glass doors into the building. I was surprised.
    When a representation from the congregation of the local mosque visited our church, they commented on how they had a sense of 'The Holy' and of God's presence in the building.
    That was quite a beautiful comment to hear, especially coming from non-Christians!

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - If you could build something for your religion?

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

RAWR!!!!!

Indeed I agree, but as you can see from the link that I have included that, that, that is a sign of the end (the beginning of demise) and shows superficiality in beliefs. Early Muslims didn't have any ornamentation but they had empires they knew what mattered, now they have money and no substance. So bottom line is symbolism means nothing!

all the best

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    When a representation from the congregation of the local mosque visited our church, they commented on how they had a sense of 'The Holy' and of God's presence in the building.
    That was quite a beautiful comment to hear, especially coming from non-Christians!
    At a guess I'd say you go to one of the beautiful old stone churches. You know the type: pre Victorian, bell tower, organ, stain glass windows, the works. Bin ich richtig?
    chat Quote

deepfreeze66's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Indeed I agree, but as you can see from the link that I have included that, that, that is a sign of the end (the beginning of demise) and shows superficiality in beliefs. Early Muslims didn't have any ornamentation but they had empires they knew what mattered, now they have money and no substance. So bottom line is symbolism means nothing!

all the best
    Yes of course, I completely agree with that sentiment. I know that the prophet (pbuh) would be totally against the symbolism of today.

Clover, you must under I am from taiwan and I am HALF CHINESE.... so I cannot speak english that good! But you get the point. Read my post again and then Gossamer's post just now to get the point if you do not understand my language.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes of course, I completely agree with that sentiment. I know that the prophet (pbuh) would be totally against the symbolism of today.

Clover, you must under I am from taiwan and I am HALF CHINESE.... so I cannot speak english that good! But you get the point. Read my post again and then Gossamer's post just now to get the point if you do not understand my language.
    I don't care if your HALF CHINESE, you speak English, and I corrected you. Life goes on.

What is the 'point' that people do not have if they are using symbols? That the world is coming to an end? If the world is truly coming to an end, using symbols isn't going to mean crap. If the world is coming to a end, it doesn't matter if you take out every single ornament or decoration, it's coming either way.

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! If you could build something for your religion? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. If you could build something for your religion?