× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 12 of 12 visibility 2846

Hero's of the islamic golden ERA

Mr.President's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thumbs up Hero's of the islamic golden ERA

Report bad ads?

being the nemesis of the Crusaders

he won the respect of many of them, including Richard the Lionheart;

An enemy became a celebrated example ??

who is he ??

format_quote Originally Posted by wikipedia

Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb ARABIC: صلاح الدين يوسف بن أيوب‎, , Kurdish: سه*لاحه*دین ئه*یوبی, Selah'edînê Eyubî) (c. 1138 — March 4, 1193), better known in the Western world as Saladin, was a Kurdish[2][3] Muslim who became the first Ayyubid Sultan of Egypt and Syria. He led Islamic opposition to the Franks and other European Crusaders in the Levant. At the height of his power, he ruled over Egypt, Syria, Mesopotamia, Hejaz, and Yemen. He led the Muslims against the Crusaders and eventually recaptured Palestine from the Kingdom of Jerusalem after his victory in the Battle of Hattin. As such, he is a notable figure in Kurdish, Arab, Persian, Turkish and Muslim culture. Saladin was a strict practitioner of Sunni Islam. His chivalrous behavior was noted by Christian chroniclers, especially in the accounts of the siege of Kerak in Moab, and despite being the nemesis of the Crusaders he won the respect of many of them, including Richard the Lionheart; rather than becoming a hated figure in Europe, he became a celebrated example of the principles of chivalry.

format_quote Originally Posted by wikipedia

About education, Saladin wrote "children are brought up in the way in which their elders were brought up." According to one of his biographers, al-Wahrani, Saladin was able to answer questions on Euclid, the Almagest, arithmetic, and law, but this was an academic ideal and it was study of the Qur'an and the "sciences of religion" that linked him to his contemporaries.[6] Several sources claim that during his studies he was more interested in religion than joining the military.[7] Another factor which may have affected his interest in religion was that during the First Crusade, Jerusalem was taken in a surprise attack by the Christians.[7] In addition to Islam, Saladin had a knowledge of the genealogies, biographies, and histories of the Arabs, as well as the bloodlines of Arabian horses. More significantly, he knew the Hamasah of Abu Tammam by heart.[6]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saladin
    Last edited by Mr.President; 02-13-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Hero's of the islamic golden ERA

Saladin was a legend. I think he's one of the great historical figures that history has shamefully neglected, well at least here in the West.
    chat Quote

Maryan0's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I very much admire Salahudeen he was truly a great muslim. May Allah have mercy on him.
    salam
    chat Quote

Sawdah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Seeker of Jannah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

SubhanAllah, Salahudeen rahimullah was a great hero.
    I listened to his biography, it was amazing.

Here's a teaser Halal Dawa Recards made :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVCsm...video_response
    (the link to the actual lecture is there on the youtube page.)

If you want to download this lecture:

salahudeen - Hero's of the islamic golden ERA

By Sheikh Zahir Mahmood. The Worshipper, The Warrior, The Conqueror, The Legend Salahudeen al-Ayyubi, celebrated by the muslims as the liberator or al-Quds and equally revered by the west for his compassion and bravery. The CD lecture details the heroic life and efforts of this warrior and ascetic, may Allaah have mercy upon him.
    Download
    Last edited by Sawdah; 02-14-2010 at 03:55 AM.

So glorify the praises of your Lord and be of those who prostrate themselves (to Him).
    Surah al-Ĥijr(The Rocky Tract) 15:98
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Samiun's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Is he one of the blessed warriors that are going to heaven? Such as the Sahabah of the Prophet SAW? OR the comparison between him and the sabahas are wide?
    chat Quote

huan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

How can he be a hero, they guy killed so many people.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by huan View Post
    Whether or not someone is a hero is entirely a matter of subjectivity. However, I am willing to concede that Saladdin was a magnificent general, who was trying to fight for his land. I think Saladdin and Omar Bakr are the two figures in Islamic history I'd classify as great.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    LI News Service
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme View Post
    Whether or not someone is a hero is entirely a matter of subjectivity. However, I am willing to concede that Saladdin was a magnificent general, who was trying to fight for his land. I think Saladdin and Omar Bakr are the two figures in Islamic history I'd classify as great.
    Not to mention Prophet Muhammad () whom Michael Hart ranked at number 1 in his book The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History.

Of course, it would be true to say that influential doesn't necessarily mean great. But I would argue that it's equally true to say that part of what would make Muhammad () great from a Non-Muslim perspective lies in his tremendous influence.

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān View Post
    Not to mention Prophet Muhammad () whom Michael Hart ranked at number 1 in his book The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History.

Of course, it would be true to say that influential doesn't necessarily mean great. But I would argue that it's equally true to say that part of what would make Muhammad () great from a Non-Muslim perspective lies in his tremendous influence.
    Well, I would exclude Muhammed because that's a given. By Islamic history, I generally mean after Muhammed's death. I like Omar Bakr because of his tolerance of Christians. He refused to pray in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and and Church of the Nativity fearing they would later be turned into mosques.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Insecured soul's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You should also know that he forgave prisoners of war which was quite shocking at that time, he was following the footsteps of prophet and his companions

and when muslims are caught up like that, they are being tortured inhumanely... like abu ghraib and guantanamo

Oh lord make my best deeds the last deeds
    Oh lord make my best day the last day (aakhirah)
    chat Quote

VizierX's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Dude, I'm pretty much a pacifist but he was was defending his land from foreign invasion.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by VizierX View Post
    Dude, I'm pretty much a pacifist but he was was defending his land from foreign invasion.
    What constitues "defending a land from foreign invasion" is highly subjective. You could say the crusaders were defending the Holy land from the Muslim invasion. To make my point equal sided for Muslims - The Iberian peninsula was ruled by Arabs for almost 7 centuries, yet the Spaniards refer to its conquest as liberation.
    chat Quote

16. Hide
Hey there! Hero's of the islamic golden ERA Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Hero's of the islamic golden ERA