× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 32 visibility 3650

Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

brightness_1
    LI News Service
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

A majority of women believe some rape victims should take responsibility for what happened, a survey suggests.

Almost three quarters of the women who believed this said if a victim got into bed with the assailant before an attack they should accept some responsibility.

One-third blamed victims who had dressed provocatively or gone back to the attacker's house for a drink.

The survey of more than 1,000 people in London marked the 10th anniversary of the Haven service for rape victims.

More than half of those of both sexes questioned said there were some circumstances when a rape victim should accept responsibility for an attack.

Less forgiving

The study found that women were less forgiving of the victim than men.

Of the women who believed some victims should take responsibility, 71% thought a person should accept responsibility when getting into bed with someone, compared with 57% of men.

Elizabeth Harrison from Haven said there was never an excuse for forcing a woman to do something she did not want to.

"Clearly, women are in a position where they need to take responsibility for themselves - but whatever you wear and whatever you do does not give somebody else the right to rape you.

"It's important people take the time to actually look at what they are doing and make sure the person they are with is actually wanting to go ahead with what they are proposing."

The survey also found more than one in 10 people were unsure whether they would report being raped to the police, and 2% said they would definitely not do so.

The main reasons were being too embarrassed or ashamed (55%), wanting to forget it had happened (41%) and not wanting to go to court (38%).

Meanwhile, the survey suggested that many people are relaxed about their safety. Almost half of people have walked home via side streets on their own.

One in five has been so drunk they have lost their memory, while one in five has got into a taxi without checking whether it is licensed.

Hardening attitudes

When asked about their own experiences, more than a third of those polled said they had been in a situation where they could have been made to have sex against their will.

Women are more likely to have been in this situation - 40% compared to 20%.

And one in five adults had been in a situation where they were made to have sex when they did not want to. This had happened to more women (23%) than men (20%).

start quote rb 1 - Women say some rape victims should take blame - surveyIt is depressing that people are still quick to blame the victim of rape rather than placing the responsibility where it actually belongs - squarely on the shoulders of the perpetrator end quote rb 1 - Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey
    Kate Allen
    Amnesty International

The online survey, titled Wake Up To Rape, polled 1,061 people aged 18 to 50, comprising 712 women and 349 men.

An Amnesty International report five years ago found that a significant minority of British people laid the blame for rape at victims themselves.

BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw says this latest study suggests attitudes may have hardened. And the findings may help explain why juries are reluctant to convict in some rape trials.

Amnesty International's UK director Kate Allen said the new findings were "alarming but sadly not surprising".

"It is depressing that, nearly half a decade later, people are still quick to blame the victim of rape rather than placing the responsibility where it actually belongs - squarely on the shoulders of the perpetrator," she said.

"The government has announced that it will develop an 'integrated strategy' to tackle violence against women and these findings are another reminder of how urgent this is and how proper training, support and resourcing will be vital in making it a reality."

The Home Office said it had introduced a number of measures to the service provided to rape victims, including new police and prosecutors' guidance, monitoring of services and funding for support for rape victims.

A spokeswoman said: "The government is determined to ensure that every victim has immediate access to the services and support they need so that more victims have the confidence to come forward and report these crimes and we can bring the perpetrators to justice."

inline dashed line 1 - Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey
    Rape victims' views on blame

Source

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Karina's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

Putting aside the moral arguments - we all know that promiscuity is a no-no.... but surely this is clear-cut - surely 'no' means 'no'!

How can forced sex ever be acceptable?

Is it ever acceptable?

In heaven, all the interesting people are missing.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    chat Quote

Dagless's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Getting a Wimpy...
    in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Is this really a serious question? Of course rape is never acceptable.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

For women who are not Muslims (and even some who are - Astaghfurillah), it is normal nowadays to go out in shorts and a tank top in the summer and that is not considered "revealing" in some cultures. Of course in Islam women are supposed to dress differently but I'm just trying to explain that how some women do not even see a "problem" with the way they are dressed and almost even think they are dressing conservatively and they may not know any better.

Just like a woman should try to guard herself by dressing conservatively and modest to deter such actions as much as she can, a man should guard himself and lower his gaze. If he sees a woman dressed in a way that attracts him, then he should look away.
    'Nuff said.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    chat Quote

CosmicPathos's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

he should look away, fine, but let the woman walk away like that? And then she has the right to start whining when Mullahs come into power?

Help me to escape from this existence
    I yearn for an answer... can you help me?
    I'm drowning in a sea of abused visions and shattered dreams
    In somnolent illusion... I'm paralyzed
    chat Quote

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I still say we should castrate rapists. Or kick them in the nuts at least.

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

AlbanianMuslim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Rape is unacceptable but if a women goes out partying at clubs and bars and is irresponsible and promiscuous, she put herself in that situation.
    I dont care if that sounds insensitive.

Natalie Halloway, the girl who disapeared in Aruba? Partying, drinking and doing drugs with complete strangers no less.
    So many more. There have been several cases of rape at my university. Every single one of those cases happened on what is now dubbed "the rape trail" which used to be called the "party trail" because people go there to drink, do drugs and participate in sexual activity.
    And yea, I DO think a woman should take part of the blame if she is getting in bed with a man and drinking with him or being promiscuous. If you put yourself in that type of situation, dont be surprised if bad things happen!

Women are vulnerable. They need to be more careful where they go and what they do.

Word to the wise: Whenever you get in your car, even if its day light, lock your doors. A rapist often targets women who enter their cars and dont pay attention to what is and who is around them.
    Last edited by AlbanianMuslim; 02-27-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm sure that this has been said a MILLION times before but are men so incapable of containing their disgusting monsterous appetite for lust?

Why is it not a man's fault too for not keeping a lid on their urges.

I have an urge sometimes to smack my boss in the face with a chair but I get over it. She provokes me... but I'm better than that.

What's the difference?

Friedrich Nietzsche
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No one is saying its not the mans fault. It is very well his fault. I think rapists should die terrible deaths, but women need to be more responsible. Especially when they know there are rapists out there.
    There are men who dont want to stop themselves or are psychologically incapable of doing so, that is all the more reason why women should be careful.

Even men are vulnerable in bad situations. One of my cousins, finished school to be an architect. He had his whole life ahead of him. Went to a club one night, didnt keep an eye on his drink. Someone slipped him a drug that nearly killed him. Had they not pumped his stomach he would have either died or been paralyzed. He now has to take pills daily to keep his mind running. He will never be the same vibrant person he was before.
    Last edited by AlbanianMuslim; 02-27-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab View Post

I still say we should castrate rapists. Or kick them in the nuts at least.
    Amen. Well, it'd certainly deter me.
    chat Quote

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme View Post
    Amen. Well, it'd certainly deter me.
    Personally, I was thinking more for irony or ''sh1tz and giggles'' factor

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

As it was once said "Off with their heads!"
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab View Post
    Personally, I was thinking more for irony or ''sh1tz and giggles'' factor
    I jusr re read my post, it sounds like I'm not deterred already, so to clarify:

I wouldn't rape today, not only out of fear of repercussions but because of my morality. However, if I was a psycopathic serial rapist with no ethics or morals, castration would deter me.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

So it's the nerds fault they get bullied? Or veiled women?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme View Post
    I jusr re read my post, it sounds like I'm not deterred already, so to clarify:

I wouldn't rape today, not only out of fear of repercussions but because of my morality. However, if I was a psycopathic serial rapist with no ethics or morals, castration would deter me.
    I should reclarify that again for you. Instead of saying "I wouldn't rape today" you should have said "Rape is not in my vocabulary or thoughts, so I don't have to worry about the repprecussions of such a hanious crime"
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I agree women should take some level of precaution to avoid getting raped, but I disagree with the onus being on them to prevent rape, as Islam tries to do with the hijab. Why does it have to be miniskirts or hijab? I think you will find most women through their own sound judgement find a suitable medium without men telling them what to do.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Eliphaz View Post
    I agree women should take some level of precaution to avoid getting raped, but I disagree with the onus being on them to prevent rape, as Islam tries to do with the hijab. Why does it have to be miniskirts or hijab? I think you will find most women through their own sound judgement find a suitable medium without men telling them what to do.
    Who said someone told them to wear the hijab? Just as in the bible, it's tells women to be covered(in church, in prayer). I would asume they wear the hijab because they to believe it is written somewhere that God commanded them to do so. Why is that so hard to understand? we believe what we are taught from our holy books. Like as if you were taught something in school, but....we also have faith, and use it, and live by it. Some do wear it, some don't. That is their personal decision, not one that some person on the street told them to do to prevent rape. We do what we are told to glorify God...not man.
    chat Quote

Ummu Sufyaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    is in need of dua
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Eliphaz View Post
    I agree women should take some level of precaution to avoid getting raped, but I disagree with the onus being on them to prevent rape, as Islam tries to do with the hijab.
    it also prevents it with ordering the guy to lower his gaze as well. how convenient of you to fail to include that.

for the record, there are several other reasons why we are told to wear a hijab, primarily being to obey god. why people (non-Muslims in this case) immediately jump to the conclusion that it is denotes placing the blame and responsibility for "his" actions as well, is beyond me. people need to think outside the square, seriously.

Why does it have to be miniskirts or hijab?
    oh i dont know, you tell me which i guy finds more attractive.

I think you will find most women through their own sound judgement find a suitable medium without men telling them what to do.
    i dont ever recall a man telling me to put on my hijab, and im sure likewise you'll find that with the majority of Muslim Women as well.
    Last edited by Ummu Sufyaan; 02-28-2010 at 01:09 AM.

...desperate for husnul-khitaam...

please make dua that Allah grants me a good end (to my life). please make dua that Allah guides me.

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hmmm...thats such a TOUGH question....who would a rapist target a modest women who wears hijab and doesnt go to bars or clubs...

or a woman in a mini skirt who is half drunk walking to her car alone at night in a parking lot....

wow...i cant seem to make up my mind!
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey