× Register Login What's New! Contact us

View Poll Results: Do you support euthanasia or mercy killings?(votes must be justified with a response)

Voters
20. Login to vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 15.00%
  • No

17 85.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 38 visibility 4510

Euthanasia/mercy killings

Darth Ultor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Do you support mercy killings? Say you're a doctor, and you have a patient dying from a terrible cancer, and there is no way to save that person's life. If the patient consents will you condone a doctor giving him or her something that will ease their passing?

Here is another scenario. You're a soldier, and after an ambush, one of your fellow men got shot but is still alive, mortally wounded, but alive. You know that the soldier will die anyway, and if he wants you to, would you help him die quickly?

On a religious perspective, I think it would be considered murder, but in the eyes of God, would it be as bad as a normal murder?

I support it for the fact that I have cancer and also lost several friends to it. Why did they have to suffer? It is a terrible thing. I believe if the person suffering asks for it, it should be granted to them. It's not fair that good men and women have to suffer so badly, yet piece of **** child killers are simply put to sleep.
    Last edited by Darth Ultor; 03-14-2010 at 04:19 AM.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Euthanasia/mercy killings

Peace Boaz,

I see the paradox in that the scum of the earth are released from their earthly pains through execution for their crimes and the pious who have done no wrong have to suffer for years during the course of a painful terminal disease, injury, or genetic fault.

It does not seem fair and it seems it would be more fitting that criminals should be forced to live to an old age without being relieved of the burdens of life.

I can only speak for myself. I do not consider myself a stoic person, but I am a person who has lived a considerable time with chronic excruciating pain as a very close companion. To be honest I do desire the relief of the grave, but I would never request euthanasia nor seek suicide. I see death as being a reward I am not yet worthy of and my purpose here not yet ended. I stopped taking all pain killers and sedatives a few years back and now see my pain as a gift and one of my reasons for living. This pain has given me the incentive to continue forward in a direction I would have feared to travel. I see it as a gift as I know that no human or physical event can bring me any more pain then I now face daily. I live a life completely free of fear, thanks to pain.

So my opinion is euthanasia/mercy killings are not an option permitted to us humans. It is murder and deprives the person of discovering the gift they have been given.

Herman 1 - Euthanasia/mercy killings

chat Quote

theblackcloud's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    Peace Boaz,

I see the paradox in that the scum of the earth are released from their earthly pains through execution for their crimes and the pious who have done no wrong have to suffer for years during the course of a painful terminal disease, injury, or genetic fault.

It does not seem fair and it seems it would be more fitting that criminals should be forced to live to an old age without being relieved of the burdens of life.

I can only speak for myself. I do not consider myself a stoic person, but I am a person who has lived a considerable time with chronic excruciating pain as a very close companion. To be honest I do desire the relief of the grave, but I would never request euthanasia nor seek suicide. I see death as being a reward I am not yet worthy of and my purpose here not yet ended. I stopped taking all pain killers and sedatives a few years back and now see my pain as a gift and one of my reasons for living. This pain has given me the incentive to continue forward in a direction I would have feared to travel. I see it as a gift as I know that no human or physical event can bring me any more pain then I now face daily. I live a life completely free of fear, thanks to pain.

So my opinion is euthanasia/mercy killings are not an option permitted to us humans. It is murder and deprives the person of discovering the gift they have been given.
    Although, I believe animals are a different exception. I can't stand to see an animal suffer. I believe it's God's place to decide when humans will be taken off this earth plane.

May I ask, why you are in so much pain?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by blackcloud View Post
    Although, I believe animals are a different exception. I can't stand to see an animal suffer. I believe it's God's place to decide when humans will be taken off this earth plane.

May I ask, why you are in so much pain?
    I am paying the price of many years of cigarette smoking before I reverted to Islam and considerable arthritic pains resulting from multiple fractures I received in 1963.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I am paying the price of many years of cigarette smoking before I reverted to Islam and considerable arthritic pains resulting from multiple fractures I received in 1963.
    I try to tell my father to quit smoking, it's so bad for your health and well being. But he doesn't listen.

You can take multiple medications for your bone fractures and arthritic mishaps. Or, perhaps, religious reasons prohibit you from doing so? My Iraqi room mate refused to take painkillers after knee surgery because he stated that painkillers "cloud the mind".
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I try to tell my father to quit smoking, it's so bad for your health and well being. But he doesn't listen.

You can take multiple medications for your bone fractures and arthritic mishaps. Or, perhaps, religious reasons prohibit you from doing so? My Iraqi room mate refused to take painkillers after knee surgery because he stated that painkillers "cloud the mind".
    I stopped taking all pain killers and sedatives when I reverted. I prefer having a clear mind and do not like the the loss of thinking ability it cost me to be pain free when I was on pain killers.

While most Scholars tend to say pain killers may be used. I personally will not use them, as I have learned to cope with the pain and Besides at my age I have too few living brain cells remaining and can't afford to let any of the remaining ones to be numbed. I already have enough trouble remembering where I live, I can't afford to risk forgetting the little I can still remember.

chat Quote

>Taalib<'s Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Whatever Suffering a Believer goes through in this life either wipes away his/her sins or is for elevation of a persons stage in the hereafter. So in actual fact he is benefitting so it is downright stupidity to terminate this rewards which he is reaping.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by >Taalib< View Post
    Whatever Suffering a Believer goes through in this life either wipes away his/her sins or is for elevation of a persons stage in the hereafter. So in actual fact he is benefitting so it is downright stupidity to terminate this rewards which he is reaping.
    I respect your views, they are quite admiral, if I may say so myself.

However, that is your own personal view on suffering, but what I find strange is that about half of the Muslims I have met would agree with you, the other half would not.

So, it seems there is not a harmonious consensus on this subject within the Muslim community currently.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I stopped taking all pain killers and sedatives when I reverted. I prefer having a clear mind and do not like the the loss of thinking ability it cost me to be pain free when I was on pain killers.

While most Scholars tend to say pain killers may be used. I personally will not use them, as I have learned to cope with the pain and Besides at my age I have too few living brain cells remaining and can't afford to let any of the remaining ones to be numbed. I already have enough trouble remembering where I live, I can't afford to risk forgetting the little I can still remember.
    I like to view drugs and alcohol as something that restrains valid judgment on our behalf and leads us to wrong decisions in our life. Whatever the opinion of some, or most, scholars might be, I think no human's life is worth living if they are subject to swallowing down pills like they are mentos for the sake of relieving pain, meanwhile they are high as a kite. It's not worth it, to me.

I'm still young, and it's hard for me to even remember what happened last month, let alone years ago. It's a product of our get up and go times, and no I do not like it. I understand your place when it comes to not wanting to lose your memory, and your sanity. But if there's anything you should always be able to remember, it's that, hopefully you can say, you had a good, productive, positive life and did what your creator put you on the Earth to accomplish.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I respect your views, they are quite admiral, if I may say so myself.

However, that is your own personal view on suffering, but what I find strange is that about half of the Muslims I have met would agree with you, the other half would not.

So, it seems there is not a harmonious consensus on this subject within the Muslim community currently.
    It isn't 'Haraam' forbidden to take pain medications.. many people prefer to do without however.. If you are in the OR about to under-go surgery, you'll obviously need anesthesia and pain relief post op.. unfortunately many people become addicted because they simply don't know how to say when..

If the pain is a 10/10 then yes by all means, but if it is a 6~7 and you can withstand it, then why not? Every medication isn't without side effects, the longer you are on them, the worse you'll feel and later down the line it might lead to serious addiction.

People have different threshold for pain, I personally think three days post op should be the max. number of days for pain relief, we obviously all know that pain goes on for months and months for some people..
    I don't like the way some doctors handle their prescription pads or the way some pts. skulk, malinger and abuse it.. both parties suffer down the line.. one risks their license and the other risks his/her health, sanity and well-being.. of course for some that comes with some workers comp. and well-fare and days off work

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Euthanasia/mercy killings

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye View Post
    It isn't 'Haraam' forbidden to take pain medications.. many people prefer to do without however.. If you are in the OR about to under-go surgery, you'll obviously need anesthesia and pain relief post op.. unfortunately many people become addicted because they simply don't know how to say when..

If the pain is a 10/10 then yes by all means, but if it is a 6~7 and you can withstand it, then why not? Every medication isn't without side effects, the longer you are on them, the worse you'll feel and later down the line it might lead to serious addiction.

People have different threshold for pain, I personally think three days post op should be the max. number of days for pain relief, we obviously all know that pain goes on for months and months for some people..
    I don't like the way some doctors handle their prescription pads or the way some pts. skulk, malinger and abuse it.. both parties suffer down the line.. one risks their license and the other risks his/her health, sanity and well-being.. of course for some that comes with some workers comp. and well-fare and days off work
    Indeed. Definitely, your post reminds me that the American health care system must be overhauled and reformed, and fast. Doctors often give out unneeded prescription medication due to the catch 22, profit motive.
    chat Quote

CosmicPathos's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ I support single payor public health care system with modifications for solving the problem of long wait lists.

Help me to escape from this existence
    I yearn for an answer... can you help me?
    I'm drowning in a sea of abused visions and shattered dreams
    In somnolent illusion... I'm paralyzed
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Euthanasia (if its voluntary) is a form of suicide strictly forbidden in our religion.

This is perfectly illustrated by the story of a man who was part of the Prophet's army. This man was a brave fighter, who single-handedly fought against the disbelieving forces and was considered very brave. However, the Prophet mentioned that this individual will be the hell. This prophecy startled and amazed the Prophet's Companions who were present. They wandered, how can such a brave and courageous man upon the battlefield, fighting for Islaam, be in the hellfire.

So shortly thereafter this individual became mortally wounded, and was in a great deal of pain. He took his sword, placed it in the ground upward, and fell upon it, killing himself, in order to ease his pain and misery. A companion witnessed this and proclaimed, surely the Messenger of Allaah speaks the truth!

So this individual considered a form of suicide, in order to end his pain and physical suffering of the wounds he incurred while fighting Jihaad. Yet the Messenger of Allaah said he is in the hell, so this shows how grave a matter euthanasia is, and how it is totally rejected by our Religion.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist View Post
    ^ I support single payor public health care system with modifications for solving the problem of long wait lists.
    Would your program be solely designed for solving the problem of long waiting lists and lines? That is a problem, but there are many other looming sores that need to be healed. The whole system must be overhauled.

I, for one, support a database health care system where everyone can be insured, provided they are a legal citizen and have a valid citizenship, ID and social security number. A health care card with a photo ID would be issued as well, like the Canadian health care system.[1]
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Would your program be solely designed for solving the problem of long waiting lists and lines? That is a problem, but there are many other looming sores that need to be healed. The whole system must be overhauled.

I, for one, support a database health care system where everyone can be insured, provided they are a legal citizen and have a valid citizenship, ID and social security number. A health care card with a photo ID would be issued as well, like the Canadian health care system.[1]
    Well since I am Canadian, I was referring to that problem within my own context. I had to wait 4 weeks to get a CT scan appointment. But allhamdulillah, other than that I do not need to fight my demons for expecting to get a $1500 bill after going to the ER.

chat Quote

Muslim Woman's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    Super Moderator
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Do you support mercy killings?
    No. It's not the teaching of Quran and hadith.

Say you're a doctor, and you have a patient dying from a terrible cancer, and there is no way to save that person's life.

Docotor's duty is to save life , not to kill.

would you help him die quickly?
    No

On a religious perspective, I think it would be considered murder, but in the eyes of God, would it be as bad as a normal murder?
    In my holy book , there is no verse that says to help a sick person to die quickly. Maximum we are allowed to pray like this : O God , as long as life is beneficial for me , let me live; when it is better for me to die , then bless me with death.

And God knows Best.

Christ will never be proud to reject to be a slave to God .....holy Quran, chapter Women , 4: 172

recitation:http://quran.jalisi.com
    chat Quote

waqas maqsood's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^ spot on

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman View Post
    Salaam/Peace

No. It's not the teaching of Quran and hadith.

Docotor's duty is to save life , not to kill.

No

In my holy book , there is no verse that says to help a sick person to die quickly. Maximum we are allowed to pray like this : O God , as long as life is beneficial for me , let me live; when it is better for me to die , then bless me with death.

And God knows Best.
    Doctor's duty is to save life but not in a paternalistic manner. Gone are the days when doctors could act as father figures for patients. Today doctors save lives by taking into account the views and beliefs of patient. Patient autonomy is an important principle and a doctor cant let his responsibility of beneficence overtake his responsibility to respect the patients which is done by allowing the capable patient to make decisions for his or herself.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist View Post
    Well since I am Canadian, I was referring to that problem within my own context. I had to wait 4 weeks to get a CT scan appointment. But allhamdulillah, other than that I do not need to fight my demons for expecting to get a $1500 bill after going to the ER.
    I am Canadian as well, and I think our medical system is great. My friend, who came from Iraq (we are both students), he got knee surgery he always needed ever since he was a kid. Nothing big, just some cartilage that was damaged. He said the doctors treated him well and he hopes his country gets a similar system one day. I have always heard positive things about our health care system.

I do feel sorry for Americans who can't even pay for food to put on the table for their kids, let alone worry about paying for that tonsil surgery they got last week.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I am Canadian as well, and I think our medical system is great. My friend, who came from Iraq (we are both students), he got knee surgery he always needed ever since he was a kid. Nothing big, just some cartilage that was damaged. He said the doctors treated him well and he hopes his country gets a similar system one day. I have always heard positive things about our health care system.

I do feel sorry for Americans who can't even pay for food to put on the table for their kids, let alone worry about paying for that tonsil surgery they got last week.
    indeed. At least one thing to be happy about in Canada.

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Euthanasia/mercy killings Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Euthanasia/mercy killings