× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 33 visibility 6886

Spying 101 - Hack A Webcam

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

See FOX News clip below

The video mentions having a password on to protect your cam. Even better is to unplug it when not using and if possible, buy one of those cams with a lid to close the lens.

Like this one...

webcam2p - Spying 101 - Hack A Webcamhttp://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7686/webcam2.jpg

For an example, Go to Google and type: inurl:/view/index.shtml

It will give you access to 143,000 AXIS IP video surveillance cameras
    Last edited by islamirama; 04-20-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Ğħαrєєвαħ's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Slave of Allaah
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Spying 101 - Hack A Webcam

SubhaaanAllah whats this world coming to.....
    People seriously need to mind their own business and get a life, since they already have one i guess they could try use it and not WASTE it!

"Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyum (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists).".."[Al Qur'aan 3:2]
    chat Quote

Vito's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What you just saw isn't "hacking" or "exploiting". These cameras are more advanced than a regular computer webcam and as I've said in the other thread a few months ago, it isn't something that most regular users should worry about. A lot of these cameras are set up so they can be managed from a remote location.

Believe it or not, that google 'trick' has been around for years. Not sure why they just now started talking about it.
    chat Quote

Ğħαrєєвαħ's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

But he still showed us web cams and stuff....Besides he also told us how we should protect them passwords for people who do own them

"Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyum (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists).".."[Al Qur'aan 3:2]
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yea but its like what I mentioned. Those cameras are set up to be accessed from a remote location. Most people who buy a webcam for their computer don't go and buy the IP camera with panning / zooming capabilities, among other things. If someone buys one of these without knowing anything about them, they shouldn't of bought it. The setup for some of these cameras is similar to a router or access point. If you just simply connect it without doing anything else, you're pretty much inviting people to watch you

**Here is a sample of what some of them look like: http://www.dlink.com/products/category/?cid=37
    Last edited by Vito; 04-19-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You be foolish to think no one can access your local home webcam. Police can do it, FBI, CIA can do it an anyone else who has the know how can do it. They have given examples of this even in movies, Transformers being one of them.

here's something else to reflect upon.

School accused of off-campus Webcam spying
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama View Post
    You be foolish to think no one can access your local home webcam. Police can do it, FBI, CIA can do it an anyone else who has the know how can do it. They have given examples of this even in movies, Transformers being one of them.

here's something else to reflect upon.

School accused of off-campus Webcam spying
    That link was posted in the other thread as well. The issue here isn't about "hacking" but rather privacy issues. What they did was wrong but it has nothing to do with security. These were school issued laptops and they could of easily set it up so they have access to it anytime they want.

I don't know if I would use the word foolish in the same post where you're trying to use examples from the movie transformers to justify what you believe. I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm just being straight forward.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai- View Post
    I don't know if I would use the word foolish in the same post where you're trying to use examples from the movie transformers to justify what you believe. I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm just being straight forward.
    The issue here is indeed privacy whether done by hacking or any other means. you may see it foolish to refer to a movie about something but technologies they use in movies only show what is available out there at times but normally people don't have access to it. I'm not sure what you aim is at denying the possibility of someone easily hacking to a person's webcam but whether you believe it or not the the technology does exist and so do people who are using it. Look up webcam vulnerabilities in google and you will find that many software can hacked into to get to a webcam to spy on you.
    chat Quote

marwen's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think what -kai- is saying is true. In order to your wcam to be accessed from the web, you need to be streaming this wcam. I mean there must be a streaming server running on your machine, with a specific port (8081 for example) wich takes the stream captured from the webcam and publish it on that address ( <your ip address>:<stream port>). So a user on a distant machine can type your adress and access to your webCam stream, and the only thing that can protect you in that case is to use a password. BUT, if you're not using a streaming server (you're not enabling the internet streming function), your webcam will not be accessible from outside in any way, or at least let's say : it will be very difficult to access to your webcam ( you'll need a real hacker)
    Last edited by marwen; 04-20-2010 at 12:56 AM.

"O you who believe! Fear ALLAH as He should be feared" [aal 'Imraan, 102]

يَـٰٓأَيُّہَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ ٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ حَقَّ تُقَاتِهِۦ آل عِمرَان - 102

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You are under the assumption that someone has to be streaming in order for you to access their webcam. Although that is true like those video cams you can find on google, it is however not limited to that only. So long as you have an internet connection than anyone with enough know how can launch any applications on your pc remotely. Even if you have your pc off, the webcam is still powered in and internect connection still exists so they can still turn the webcam on and stream it on their screen while you are unaware of it.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The issue here is indeed privacy whether done by hacking or any other means. you may see it foolish to refer to a movie about something but technologies they use in movies only show what is available out there at times but normally people don't have access to it. I'm not sure what you aim is at denying the possibility of someone easily hacking to a person's webcam but whether you believe it or not the the technology does exist and so do people who are using it. Look up webcam vulnerabilities in google and you will find that many software can hacked into to get to a webcam to spy on you.
    I'm not claiming to know everything but I know enough to where I don't need to depend on search engines or use movie references to back up what I say.

And let me clear something up, I never said it couldn't happen. My posts were simply referring to what you originally posted because what you see in the video is not exactly what you consider a "consumer" webcam. Those have way more features and its not as simple as "plug and play" unless of course you're looking for trouble.

Unheard of technology really has nothing to do with this. All you need is a computer and access to the internet and of course people who are vulnerable but, even the lightest of security measures can defend you from a lot of this stuff. I'm speaking based on facts, not what I believe or don't believe.
    Last edited by Vito; 04-20-2010 at 01:13 AM.
    chat Quote

marwen's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

... than anyone with enough know how can launch any applications on your pc remotely.
    Yes, that's possible.

Even if you have your pc off, the webcam is still powered in and internect connection still exists so they can still turn the webcam on and stream it on their screen while you are unaware of it.
    I don't think it's possible if the computer is off. You know the cam is only accessible trough your PC :
    [distantPC<=>distModem]<===========>[yourModem<=>yourPC<=>yourCam],
    without a Pc the webcam is not usable (needs driver and memory to store the capture. and that's existing in the PC). Besides, the webcam has no adress to be accessed from internet, it's only the PC adress.

"O you who believe! Fear ALLAH as He should be feared" [aal 'Imraan, 102]

يَـٰٓأَيُّہَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ ٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ حَقَّ تُقَاتِهِۦ آل عِمرَان - 102

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You are under the assumption that someone has to be streaming in order for you to access their webcam. Although that is true like those video cams you can find on google, it is however not limited to that only. So long as you have an internet connection than anyone with enough know how can launch any applications on your pc remotely. Even if you have your pc off, the webcam is still powered in and internect connection still exists so they can still turn the webcam on and stream it on their screen while you are unaware of it.
    Which movie did you get this from?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

So long as you have net connection and your webcam has power, anything is possible. I'll leave it at that, so take as much/less precaution as you deem necessary and enjoy the video cams listed on on google
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

facepalmhy2 - Spying 101 - Hack A Webcam Yes I think its best we just leave it at that then. Anyways, you have a good night and a better tomorrow. I'm off to bed.
    chat Quote

GuCcI's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

whaaat, this is scary - what if you have a built in webcam???
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by GuCcI View Post
    whaaat, this is scary - what if you have a built in webcam???
    My monitor has a built in cam, i have piece of paper form sticky notepads to cover it
    chat Quote

Dagless's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Getting a Wimpy...
    in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Everyone has the ability to monitor their own network traffic. If the police were using some built in backdoor it would have been spotted by someone.

you may see it foolish to refer to a movie about something but technologies they use in movies only show what is available out there at times but normally people don't have access to it.
    Or its just pure garbage to make things sound cool?

So long as you have an internet connection than anyone with enough know how can launch any applications on your pc remotely.
    If people are remotely launching apps on your pc then your webcam probably isn't your biggest concern.

Overall its a good idea to keep your cam covered but that's only because so many people are already exploited from downloading infected apps, going to infected sites etc.
    Last edited by Dagless; 04-20-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    chat Quote

Asiyah3's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I wouldn't worry about this, why would someone hack my Webcam out of the other milliard webcams?

Those who believe and obscure not their belief by wrongdoing, theirs is safety; and they are rightly guided. (6:86)

Behold! verily on the friends of Allah there is no fear, nor shall they grieve. (10:62)
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    GuCcI's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

My monitor has a built in cam, i have piece of paper form sticky notepads to cover it
    i have a small laptop and webcam is on that top part.. i dont wanna cover it with something, that'll make it look ugly <_<
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Spying 101 - Hack A Webcam Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Spying 101 - Hack A Webcam