× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 16 of 16 visibility 2512

"omg"

h-n's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"omg"

Report bad ads?

As far as I’m aware “omg” stands for “oh my God”.

Well to me its disrespectful and people should refrain from using it.

People sometimes develop habits and say something, but for them also to take the time to type it, states its their way to express themselves. Obviously they aren’t thinking about Allah, or worshipping him at that moment, or seriously looking at the situation in an Islamic way.

This is from the West, so refrain from copying off them and developing bad habits. why copy off them, when they themselves do not worship the All-Merciful, All-Powerful, the One?? Yet, you rather utter something that is being disrespectful to your Creator?? Why follow after others to utter something that is not a good thing especially by referring to the All-Aware??

So just incase you think it's looks OK, it does NOT!!!
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    PouringRain's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: "omg"

h_n, I agree with you that believers should not carelessly throw around God's name by using phrases such as "omg." But I disagree about this coming from the West. The act of taking God's name is vain has been around long before the "West" ever came into existence.
    chat Quote

Rhubarb Tart's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have this habit, I do need to stop but I am always around people that "omg" every time.
    "omg"

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "Help your brother, whether he is an oppressor or he is an oppressed one.." [Bukhaari].
    chat Quote

Ummu Sufyaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    is in need of dua
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

if you have some evidence that this is considered disrespectful in Islam, then please state it (no pun intended).

not everyone says "omg" to throw it around. it just may mean "oh my god" as in im so *insert emotion here* and i call unto Thee.
    Last edited by Ummu Sufyaan; 08-03-2010 at 05:03 AM.
    "omg"

...desperate for husnul-khitaam...

please make dua that Allah grants me a good end (to my life). please make dua that Allah guides me.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    *Hana*'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam Alaikum:

It can also mean Oh My Gosh or Oh My Goodness. Let me enlighten you, sister. I'm a 5th generation WESTERNER and I DO worship Allah, swt, as do thousands of others. Please do try to refrain from trying to push your opinions on others, particularly when they are without merit.

Wa'alaikum salam,
    Hana
    "omg"

wwwislamicboardcom - "omg"

"Whoever is deprived of gentleness is deprived of all good" (Sahîh Muslim, Sunan Abî Dawûd)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched...but are felt in the heart.
    -Helen Keller
    chat Quote

h-n's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't need to be told to be enlightened by someone, who has refused even once to accept that people are using "omg" in reference to Oh my God and it is not in the context of them praising Allah.

Say it on the Day of Judgement.

I live in the West, and I have never seen anyone using omg to use gracious, goodness, your trying any futile attempt to say I am wrong, Then you want to give me a bad infraction saying I should respect other people of other faiths and were they have been born etc. Well wake up, I am here to talk about Islam, not talking about how we live with non-Muslims. So do you think I am never going to mention that Islam disapproves of the sinful people's behaviour????

Prophet Moses peace be upon him did NOT come down from the mountain and after seeing his people in sin worshipping the cow idol start saying to them, that I have to respect your faith. NAY!! He went against what they were doing. Of course we don't force people to become Muslims.

Clearly you should remember what Islam is saying, instead of making compromises yourself in Islam because you are afraid of what other people may think. Even this is the reason, why people are even embarrassed about mentioning sinful people going to Hell, because they won't be seen as acceptable by the non-Muslims, but the Prophets told people regularly, and constantly is written in the Quran etc.

I am not going to pray for Allah for more patience as per my "Being exasperated", "Cruel, unkind and not looking for the life of the next world" thread.

Also you'll find that all these countries are finishing right now and then we go through the Major signs of the Day of Judgement, so WAKE UP, we don't need more patience to put up with lewd, homosexuals etc when we are not going to put up with them soon, and it will the last thing on your mind when the countries, banks etc have finished.

So instead of making it personal, think ISLAMICALLY, and if you were so true with those intentions, then you would have answered post 1 correctly, which you have not looked at the issue of people using "oh my god" and they are not thinking about Allah, its used to show dissaproval to another person, they are not praising Allah etc.

I've only come back as I received a post, which I won't be replying now for a while.
    chat Quote

cat eyes's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

well i say ''omg'' when i witness something shocking or i hear of something that i dislike.

but i say ''oh my gosh'' in small matters. i don't see how it can be disrespectful in this sense.

people say ''oh my lord'' too again there is nothing disrespectful about it.. it certainly would be gross disrespect if the person was calling out to some one else other then god.

ive often heard people saying ''oh my mohammad'' in fact i saw it in one utube video

as far as i know this is haraam. im getting in to the habit of saying subhanAllah instead
    "omg"

ae8iug 1 - "omg"

chat Quote

Dagless's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Getting a Wimpy...
    in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Is it that we are not allowed to say it in vain? or under any circumstance other than genuine need?
    chat Quote

*Hana*'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam Alaikum:

format_quote Originally Posted by h-n View Post
    I don't need to be told to be enlightened by someone, who has refused even once to accept that people are using "omg" in reference to Oh my God and it is not in the context of them praising Allah.

Who is that someone you are referring to here? I'm sure it can't possibly be me as I don't know you, have never met you and therefore you would have no way of knowing if I accepted OR refused to accept anything. I do believe I said it CAN be used as.

Say it on the Day of Judgement.

I live in the West, and I have never seen anyone using omg to use gracious, goodness, your trying any futile attempt to say I am wrong, Then you want to give me a bad infraction saying I should respect other people of other faiths and were they have been born etc. Well wake up, I am here to talk about Islam, not talking about how we live with non-Muslims. So do you think I am never going to mention that Islam disapproves of the sinful people's behaviour????

Based on how you choose to communicate with people, I'm not actually surprised you have never witnessed another's point of view. I KNOW for a FACT there are those that use it as gosh or goodness, but I wouldn't judge them either way. You can talk about Islam and should, and how we live with non-Muslims as well as other Muslims and how we treat them IS taught in Islam. We, as Muslims, are always taught to be respectful. Remember, that person disrespected today may become your brother or sister in Islam tomorrow. Islam, as all faiths, does not condone sinful behaviour. They may accept some things we consider sinful, but, we leave them to Allah, swt.

Prophet Moses peace be upon him did NOT come down from the mountain and after seeing his people in sin worshipping the cow idol start saying to them, that I have to respect your faith. NAY!! He went against what they were doing. Of course we don't force people to become Muslims.

No, He didn't accept their behaviour, but it wasn't Moses that punished them either. I never said anything about forcing someone to become Muslim, I was speaking about your way of speaking about Islam and how the true beauty is lost with your harsh words. Something, by the way, that is not taught in Islam.

Clearly you should remember what Islam is saying, instead of making compromises yourself in Islam because you are afraid of what other people may think. Even this is the reason, why people are even embarrassed about mentioning sinful people going to Hell, because they won't be seen as acceptable by the non-Muslims, but the Prophets told people regularly, and constantly is written in the Quran etc.

What I remember Islam saying is to treat ALL people with kindness and not speak with harsh words so as they turn their backs away from the truth. I didn't see where you were provoked or harassed by anyone that might warrant such harsh words. What exactly in my post to you did I say to allow you to come to the conclusion that I compromise myself and fear what anyone thinks? I am neither afraid or embarrassed about my faith nor am I concerned about discussing the possibility of Hellfire. However, I stop clear of telling anyone, regardless of faith, they will go to Hell, because it is not us that makes that call.

I am not going to pray for Allah for more patience as per my "Being exasperated", "Cruel, unkind and not looking for the life of the next world" thread.

That is completely up to you, and I haven't had the privilege of reading that thread and have no intention of doing so.

Also you'll find that all these countries are finishing right now and then we go through the Major signs of the Day of Judgement, so WAKE UP, we don't need more patience to put up with lewd, homosexuals etc when we are not going to put up with them soon, and it will the last thing on your mind when the countries, banks etc have finished.

I don't know what countries you are referring to as this thread is about OMG, not countries "finishing". I am very wide awake, dear Sister, and I have to disagree with you on the topic of needing more patience. No one says you have to tolerate lewd and homosexual behavior...just leave them to Allah, swt. Again, I'm not sure where this all comes into play here considering the thread topic.

So instead of making it personal, think ISLAMICALLY, and if you were so true with those intentions, then you would have answered post 1 correctly, which you have not looked at the issue of people using "oh my god" and they are not thinking about Allah, its used to show dissaproval to another person, they are not praising Allah etc.

I don't make anything personal, sister. It is because I was thinking ISLAMICALLY that I took the time to comment both here and in private. Islam does not teach us to speak to others the way you do and as your sister, I wanted to remind you of that. Please don't claim to know my intentions especially when you have made as many inaccurate claims in this one post alone. You don't know my heart or mind, but Allah, swt, most certainly does.

I've only come back as I received a post, which I won't be replying now for a while.
    I ask you, in return, to please show me the Hadith and/or Surah that says the way to invite others to the folds of Islam or talk about its truth and beauty is done in this manner as I have never seen anything like that. However, I certainly never claimed to be all knowledgeable either and will certainly appreciate being corrected if I am mistaken.

I also have no desire to argue with you and it is not my intention to do so. I have shared, what I believe to be correct, to encourage you to be less harsh. You seem to have a lot of knowledge, Mashallah, and it would be a shame to see it go to waste simply because of how you choose to communicate. This is the last time I will say anything as I have done my duty, with nothing but the best of intentions.

I pray Allah, swt, will grant you and your family a happy and blessed Ramadan. Ameen

Wa'alaikum salam,
    Hana
    "omg"

"Whoever is deprived of gentleness is deprived of all good" (Sahîh Muslim, Sunan Abî Dawûd)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched...but are felt in the heart.
    -Helen Keller
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Beardo's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Weirdo + Beard = Beardo
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I used to say omg a lot until I realized it sounds feminine...And not to be inappropriate, but it also sounds "gay".
    chat Quote

nousername's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

...... also a song by Usher
    "omg"

TAKE THE FUN FREE QUIZ THAT DONATES TO ISLAMIC CHARITIES!!!
    http://www.centquiz.com/index.php
    T
    he count down has began
    dev054pf    1 - "omg"
    chat Quote

Bintulislam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

OMG not my type,I go for Ya-Allah or Allahu-Akber
    chat Quote

Vigno's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalamu Alekum

I go for Subhanah Allah, or la ilaha ila Allah
    chat Quote

Ğħαrєєвαħ's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Aslaamu`Alaaykum

I personally believe the intention is what counts, depending on the intention of one, there may be a good intention or a bad intention on saying the word but indeed Allaah knows best!

Wa`Alaaykum Salaam
    "omg"

"Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyum (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists).".."[Al Qur'aan 3:2]
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam alaykum

in my language hasn´t word as OMG
    "omg"

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

Abdul-Raouf's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    cageprisoners.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In my country/state.. they just call their God...(most of them in my state/country are hindus)

Always better to say Alhamdulillah / Subhanallah ... whether ur happy or sad or shocked.

Once when i said Alhamdulillah after sneezing..one of my non-muslim friend was curious to know what i said.... used that oppurtunity to speak about islam ...
    chat Quote

21. Hide
Hey there! "omg" Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. "omg"