× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 36 visibility 3561

Can anyone recommend me some books? (and anything else...)

Tyrion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

I was hoping you guys could recommend me some good books. Genre doesn't matter, so feel free to suggest anything from a science textbook to a fantasy novel.

Also, if anyone knows any decent movies/shows/ANYTHING, then please share.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    S.Belle's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    a big giraffe mwah
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Can anyone recommend me some books? (and anything else...)

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is a really great book it was also made into a movie so read then watch lol
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

chat Quote

ghost's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

the kite runner is terrible.

i'm a fan of sci-fi so i suggest you check out stargate sg-1.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    S.Belle's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    a big giraffe mwah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    the kite runner is terrible.

i'm a fan of sci-fi so i suggest you check out stargate sg-1.
    Ahh come on u really thought that..wait are you talking about the book or the movie bc the movie was horrible.
    oh another good read bro tyrion is Silence of the Lambs or Eragon.
    chat Quote

IslamicRevival's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Purification Of The Heart - By Sheikh Hamza Yusuf
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Troubled Soul View Post
    Purification Of The Heart - By Sheikh Hamza Yusuf
    I"d advise against reading anything by that deviant sufi
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Mila View Post
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is a really great book it was also made into a movie so read then watch lol
    I've actually already read The Kite Runner, and I've gotta say... I didn't think it was that great. Perhaps it's just because I'm Afghan and I didn't like his portrayals of the country and its people... I dunno. My dad feels the same way I do, but I think my mom enjoyed it.
    chat Quote

ghost's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    I've actually already read The Kite Runner, and I've gotta say... I didn't think it was that great. Perhaps it's just because I'm Afghan and I didn't like his portrayals of the country and its people... I dunno. My dad feels the same way I do, but I think my mom enjoyed it.
    I noticed that its mostly women who like that book even though its terrible. The Alchemist is also crap. And so is Twilight.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

if your looking for western books, of mice and men was good
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama View Post
    if your looking for western books, of mice and men was good
    Ah, I remember reading that book in High School. I really liked it, even though most of the class didn't seem to enjoy it at all :P
    chat Quote

Lynx's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Watchmen by Alan Moore. (yes it's just as good as a book)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    -Plato
    chat Quote

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

La Tahzan (Don't Be Sad) by Dr. 'Aaidh Al-Qorni
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Just out of curiosity... What makes you say he's deviant?
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I would watch that loose tongue of yours before cursing one of the most renowned scholars of the past decade. He is only one of a few scholars who in today's world is 'in the times', A scholar who repeatedly preaches Muslim unity. I have not seen any scholar that delivers a speech in such an eloquent yet simplistic manner. Alhamdulillah, Sheikh Hamza Yusuf is someone who is looked upto by Millions of Muslims including myself, and i will not accept any layman slandering him and discrediting his credentials

Yes he is a Sufi, Someone who loves Allah Azzawajal, our beloved Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him and The Ahle Bayt. Sort yourself out instead of cursing a great scholar
    Last edited by IslamicRevival; 09-16-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    Just out of curiosity... What makes you say he's deviant?
    Ignore him. Sheikh Hamza Yusuf is on Haq, The right path. Only an ignorant individual would say otherwise
    Last edited by IslamicRevival; 09-16-2010 at 11:21 AM.
    chat Quote

nebula's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Akhe troubled soul dont be fooled by his eloquent speech, just because someone speaks welll or knows alot about arabic language does not make them a person of knowledge whom you can take your religion from. The people of the sunnah have warned against hamza yusuf, he is a big time sufi, sufism is not the authentic islaam that the prophet muhammed peace be upon him was upon or his companions, the 3 earliest generations of islaam were upon.
    Last edited by nebula; 09-16-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Ittaqullah haythu ma kount!
    chat Quote

nebula's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hamza Yusuf is amongst the `aqlaaniyyah (rationalists), mu`attilah (deniers of Allaah's Attributes), and mutasawwifah - and his collections of video lectures, audio lectures, and his own website (still operative and available online) is ample testimony to this.

The courses taught at his institute use the book "Jawharat ut-Tawheed" - the book that preaches and invites to the heresies of ta'teel and (false) ta'weel and tafweed, a book which is a base and pole for the Mu`attilah. His institute teaches al-Burdah of al-Busayree which is a poem that invites to Shirk with Allaah, invites to Istigaathah from other than Allaah, and which has been refuted by the Scholars of Tawheed and the Sunnah.

See the screenshot (taken from his website today) attached for a mention of these books used for his curriculum.

hyusuf 1 - Can anyone recommend me some books? (and anything else...)

You can see some refutations of excerpts from al-Burdah here:
    http://www.sahab.net/sahab/showthrea...hreadid=294580

And I have also heard this person on a video lecture making the following two remarks, "This concern with `aqeedah is a sickness in the minds of the Muslims", and "I can go to the desert in Mauritania and learn Tawheed in five minutes", which gives further insight into his ignorance and misguidance.

There is much much more from his lectures, but to be honest, once you hear a few statements like this, and you realise what he is actively promoting, and you are someone who knows and understands the Salafee `aqeedah, you wouldn't want to waste any more time on him or his likes because the affair would be sufficiently clear already. My advice is to study and learn the Salafee `aqeedah using whatever is accessible to you from the speech and works of the Scholars of the Sunnah, and the prominent books such as al-Waasitiyyah, and at-Tadmuriyyah and Kitaab ut-Tawheed so you have a good grounding in these most important subjects.

Ittaqullah haythu ma kount!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    Akhe troubled soul dont be fooled by his eloquent speech, just because someone speaks welll or knows alot about arabic language does not make them a person of knowledge whom you can take your religion from. The people of the sunnah have warned against hamza yusuf, he is a big time sufi, sufism is not the authentic islaam that the prophet muhammed peace be upon him was upon or his companions, the 3 earliest generations of islaam were upon.
    Im well aware of Sheikh Hamza Yusuf's Aqeedah, what he teaches is authentic and it is from Quran and Sunnah. The 'people of sunnah' you refer to who speak out against Sheikh Hamza Yusuf I disagree with. The majority of Scholars i have come across acknowledge Hamza Yusuf as part of Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama'at.

You people can scream and shout, DEVIANT, SHIRK, BIDAH all you want but I know thats not the case. I have learnt so much from Sheikh Hamza Yusuf and will continue to do so InshAllah. I always stand up for the truth and will continue to do so.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    Hamza Yusuf is amongst the `aqlaaniyyah (rationalists), mu`attilah (deniers of Allaah's Attributes), and mutasawwifah - and his collections of video lectures, audio lectures, and his own website (still operative and available online) is ample testimony to this.

The courses taught at his institute use the book "Jawharat ut-Tawheed" - the book that preaches and invites to the heresies of ta'teel and (false) ta'weel and tafweed, a book which is a base and pole for the Mu`attilah. His institute teaches al-Burdah of al-Busayree which is a poem that invites to Shirk with Allaah, invites to Istigaathah from other than Allaah, and which has been refuted by the Scholars of Tawheed and the Sunnah.

See the screenshot (taken from his website today) attached for a mention of these books used for his curriculum.

hyusuf 1 - Can anyone recommend me some books? (and anything else...)

You can see some refutations of excerpts from al-Burdah here:
    http://www.sahab.net/sahab/showthrea...hreadid=294580

And I have also heard this person on a video lecture making the following two remarks, "This concern with `aqeedah is a sickness in the minds of the Muslims", and "I can go to the desert in Mauritania and learn Tawheed in five minutes", which gives further insight into his ignorance and misguidance.

There is much much more from his lectures, but to be honest, once you hear a few statements like this, and you realise what he is actively promoting, and you are someone who knows and understands the Salafee `aqeedah, you wouldn't want to waste any more time on him or his likes because the affair would be sufficiently clear already. My advice is to study and learn the Salafee `aqeedah using whatever is accessible to you from the speech and works of the Scholars of the Sunnah, and the prominent books such as al-Waasitiyyah, and at-Tadmuriyyah and Kitaab ut-Tawheed so you have a good grounding in these most important subjects.
    May Allah Azzawajal guide you. Your comments I highlighted in bright red are disgusting. How can a Muslim say such a thing about a beautiful, uplifting, spiritual and heart softening poem which is devoted to our Beloved Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon him, The Best Of Mankind. You blindly following the misleading interpretations of certain poetic verses is dangerous. This is a spiritual poem and whoever says it is shirk needs to do some proper research and understand the true spiritual meaning behind it. Many scholars have refuted this Fatwa which is based on nothing but ignorance.

Thanks for your invitation to practice Salafi Aqeedah but no thanks. Most Salafi's sadly deem everything to be SHIRK, BIDAH and INNOVATION out of ignorance which in turn causes disunity amongst the Ummah. I'll give you one example, I'm not going to mention the name of this scholar but when i was watching a video lecture i stumbled upon, this individual said even hanging up frames on the wall which have MUHAMMAD Peace Be Upon Him Name written on are Bidah and shirk

This is extreme and an attempt to rid our hearts from remembering Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him. These are the sort of people i stay away from, Not follow for they are destroying the true message of Islam

I will sign off with this beautiful poem recited by the late Haji Mushtaq Qadri (May Azzawajal grant him Jannah):

ALLAH HU AKBAR, ALLAH HU AKBAR!
    Last edited by IslamicRevival; 09-16-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Can anyone recommend me some books? (and anything else...) Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Can anyone recommend me some books? (and anything else...)