Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings

Report bad ads?

Friends,

I am writing this to introduce myself as a courtesy.

Let me start by stating that:
    • I am a little confused about the Guidelines' prohibition on posting "personal information"; and
    • I am not (yet) a Muslim, and I am therefore unfamiliar with the proper way to refer to persons and things of importance to Islam.

As to the first, may I post, for instance, the country/city where I live?

As to the second, I have notice that when Muslims refer to the prophet Muhammed the suffix "peace be upon him" (or an abbreviation which I take to have the same meaning) is appended. Likewise, references to (for example) Jesus Christ seem to be followed by the abbreviation (as). Whatever I may think of the desirability of adding such suffixes, which can often appear a little clumsy and formulaic, I do not want inadvertently to offend Muslims; at the same time, I consider it inevitable that I shall sooner or later forget or otherwise omit to include the correct suffix.

By way of background, I am a lapsed Catholic in a very secular English-speaking country. I have an interest in religion generally. Although the city where I live has a small but enthusiastic Muslim minority, I do not personally know any Muslims well. (The closest I get is a few "non-practising" Muslim friends, who would probably not be thought the best sources of information on Islam.) I understand no Arabic. I hope that this board will allow me to acquire easily comprehensible information about Islam. I am currently trying to read Asad's English translation/interpretation of the Qur'an.

Peace,

Tom

2. Report bad ads?
    Tilmeez's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Abu Aisha
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Greetings

Geetings Tom and welcome onboard!

Guidelines set by management are for members' own security. Members will shortly discover where you are coming from (as most of us know each other to quite an extent) if you stay here for a while and we don't mind that.

You can reffer to any thing of importance with any word you feel its easy as long as its not intended to offend any member or any religion.

We have a long list of brothers and sisters who are willing to help you, Inshallah (God Willing).

Wish you a nice and beneficial stay here.
    Greetings

رَبَّنَا اغْفِرْ لَنَا وَلِإِخْوَانِنَا الَّذِينَ سَبَقُونَا بِالْإِيمَانِ وَلَا تَجْعَلْ فِي قُلُوبِنَا غِلًّا لِّلَّذِينَ آمَنُوا رَبَّنَا إِنَّكَ رَؤُوفٌ رَّحِيمٌ

Muslim Woman's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    Super Moderator
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam/Peace to you

Welcome to the forum . Feel free to ask questions if u have any about Islam.
    Greetings

Christ will never be proud to reject to be a slave to God .....holy Quran, chapter Women , 4: 172

recitation:http://quran.jalisi.com

PouringRain's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Welcome to the forum.

6. Report bad ads?
    sabr*'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thumbs up Re: Greetings

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Welcome TOM. If you haven't had the opportunity to read the rules of the forum it will assist you in acclimating sooner. Insha Allah

http://www.islamicboard.com/faq.php?..._liforum_rules

Then the basics of Islam if you are not familiar.

http://www.islamicboard.com/aqeedah/
    Greetings

Lā ilāha illā-llāhu waḥdahu lā sharīka lahu lahu-l-mulku
    Wa lahu-l-hamdu yuḥyi Wa yumītu Wa huwa ḥayyu-llā yamūtu abadan abada
    ḏū-l-jalāli wa-l-ikrām, biyadihi-l-khayr
    wa huwa ‘alā kulli Shay’in qadīr.

Ğħαrєєвαħ's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Welcome to the forum and hope you have a wonderful and beneficial stay here!
    Greetings

"Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyum (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists).".."[Al Qur'aan 3:2]

Vigno's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Welcome on the forum Tom, may your stay be useful and inshallah you will grasp what you need from the forum members =)

Peace

Ameer Hamza's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Welcome on the Board. Hope you have a wonderful and beneficial stay here!
    Greetings

wwwislamicboardcom - Greetings

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Welcome to the forum, Tom.

I hope you find your answers.

Like you I live in a community with a sizable minority of Muslims. I came to this forum to learn more about Islam, because I found it difficult to communicate with and relate to the Muslims in my neighbourhood.
    Gaining a better understanding of Islam has helped me to treat my Muslim neighbours appropriately and without needing to fear to 'get it wrong'.

I have gained much from being here.
    Greetings

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - Greetings

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

12. Report bad ads?
    manaal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Lollypop's Mama
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu Aleikum Tom,

Please feel free to ask any questions you like. No question is considered to be stupid, unless of course it was intended as such. :-D
    Greetings

“Invite (all) to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious. " (16:125)

Rasulullah said, “Anyone who conceals (the defects of) a Muslim, Allah will conceal them (their defects) in this world and in the Hereafter.”

14. Hide
Hey there! Greetings Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Greetings