Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Changing Names?

Report bad ads?

my fellow Brothers and Sisters!
    I'm concerned about changing both my first and last names due to couple of reasons..my first name (mariam) means mother of Isa which is the Arabic version of Mary and my last/surname gets the nonmuslims suspicious especially whenever I fill out job applications. In other nonmuslim religions, my name means bitter lord of the sea and has another bitter meaning to it. I've heard that Islam allows us to keep our mother's first name from certain Pakistani people but am not sure. I feel my first name doesn't suit me at all because I'm always sad and depressed all the time and very fragile in getting hurt emotionally, I'm basically very sensitive and when there are happy times in my life, I'm just never happy from the heart. Not everybody can pronounce my name correctly even when I tell them how it's originally pronounced. My second cousin named her daughter the same name as me, it gets confusing all the time and I don't want to have the same two people under the same names in the family. I feel if I change my name, it will help me be more happier from the deep down bottom of my heart and possibly get me a job.

I always wanted to have a name that started with the letter A and have a very strong and unique meaning to it. I'm GOD gifted; I've searched for a few names, I came across Malayeka and Alesha but I want to choose a name wisely which is unique, not at all popular, very new and is very easy for nonmuslims to pronounce.

-1- can I change my name to a different letter from my original name or it can be the same letter as my real first name?

-2- whose sur/lastname can I change it to?

and JazakAllah
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    coolhaseena786's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Changing Names?

anyone?...to make the question short, in Islam, my name means Mother of Isa but in other religions, it has a negative meaning to it...is it halal for me to change it?
    chat Quote

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If you really wanted to, upon marriage you can take your husband's last name, my sister in law after converting to islam changed her last name to my family's name.. but it is really up to you.. your parents gifted you with a gorgeous name, can you really be an 'maleka' or 'alesha' in my humble opinion Miriam is far superior in every sense .. the other two remind me of some scurrilous call girls from the hood trying for her big break on american idol.. your name whatever it is can't appeal to everyone so don't think that by changing it, that all the job applications will be looked upon with fair chance because in your own mind you've decided that it should be well received..

that is my opinion, I am not sure that is what you wanted, but I don't think any of us are otherwise qualified to give a fatwa that is indeed life changing..

I wish you the best on your decision

Changing Names?

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Changing Names?

chat Quote

Rafeeq's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Think, your cousin is named as of you and this name is symbol of respect in Islam and even in christanity. It is realy honourable to have name after such a pios woman of muslim history. The physical apprearance which you count today will not last till tomorrow (sorry, I do not want to hurt you but fact is bitter some times, we must admit).

I request you to think positive, engage yourself with some thing which gives you pleasure and you will be happy soon.

When I feel more depressed, you know, I stay more here on IB, try this.

(choice is yours, sis)
    Changing Names?

When there is nothing left but Allah that is when you find out that Allah is all you need.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    tigerkhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

each one has its own prefrences and like dislikes, but to me Marium or Maria are most beautiful name sof world.
    chat Quote

8. Hide
Hey there! Changing Names? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Changing Names?