× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 5 of 5 visibility 1954

Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV

MartyrX's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_796521.html

On the heels of World AIDS Day comes a stunning medical breakthrough: Doctors believe an HIV-positive man who underwent a stem cell transplant has been cured as a result of the procedure.

Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the "Berlin Patient," received the transplant in 2007 as part of a lengthy treatment course for leukemia. His doctors recently published a report in the journal Blood affirming that the results of extensive testing "strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved."

Brown's case paves a path for constructing a permanent cure for HIV through genetically-engineered stem cells.

Last week, Time named another AIDS-related discovery to its list of the Top 10 Medical Breakthroughs of 2010. Recent studies show that healthy individuals who take antiretrovirals, medicine commonly prescribed for treating HIV, can reduce their risk of contracting the disease by up to 73 percent.

While these developments by no means prove a cure for the virus has been found, they can certainly provide hope for the more than 33 million people living with HIV worldwide. Alongside such findings, global efforts to combat the epidemic have accelerated as of late, with new initiatives emerging in the Philippines and South Africa this week.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Detritavore's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV

Wow. This is real interesting. Funnily enough I was just looking into regenerative medicine.

Thanks for sharing :]
    chat Quote

CosmicPathos's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Pretty interesting. But keep in mind that anti-retrovirals have increased lifespan of HIV+ patients by upto 40-50 years .... of course there are side effects of these drugs and also their + status means they can further spread the virus ... but they live pretty "healthy" lives.

This gay hiv+ dude invited to give us a seminar on how his life has been for the last decade after being diagnosed with HIV etc, he still engages in high risk sexual behavior and "enjoys it." I just felt disgusted that man keeps on enjoying the same activities which brought him to this stage and then my prof has to interject "homosexual sex by itself is not "bad," its just that too many lymphoid follicles with T-cells close to the epidermis are found in the rectum compared to vagina and hence the higher HIV transmission." blah blah
    Last edited by CosmicPathos; 12-15-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Help me to escape from this existence
    I yearn for an answer... can you help me?
    I'm drowning in a sea of abused visions and shattered dreams
    In somnolent illusion... I'm paralyzed
    chat Quote

Detritavore's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist View Post
    I just felt disgusted that man keeps on enjoying the same activities which brought him to this stage and then my prof has to interject "homosexual sex by itself is not "bad," its just that too many lymphoid follicles with T-cells close to the epidermis are found in the rectum compared to vagina and hence the higher HIV transmission." blah blah
    Pretty sure the correct term is sodomy?

Ew, yuck, why do I even care. No ignore me haha.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    CosmicPathos's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Detritavore View Post
    Pretty sure the correct term is sodomy?

Ew, yuck, why do I even care. No ignore me haha.
    hmm ...... ok.

Help me to escape from this existence
    I yearn for an answer... can you help me?
    I'm drowning in a sea of abused visions and shattered dreams
    In somnolent illusion... I'm paralyzed
    chat Quote

8. Hide
Hey there! Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV