star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post How does it make u feel?

Report bad ads?

Hope your all in good health by the grace of Almighty Allah SWT... i dont know what you all wil think to this... i live in the UK.. christmas is jst round the corner... n i get a warm feeling and feel all festive when its christmas time... obviously i dont celebrate christmas but i get a warm feeling... it mind sound stupid i knw but jst cant help it.. is der any1else who feels like this? is it wrong to feel this as a muslim?

Look forward to your replies.

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    'Abd Al-Maajid's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: How does it make u feel?

Here Christmas means Party time, late night parties. I feel sad even pagans celebrate this, funny innit?

Keep two thing in mind, sister.
    1. The birthday of The Christ is unknown.
    And even if it is on the 25th of December,
    2. It is not permissible in Islam to celebrate anniversaries, may it be, death, birth, wedding et cetera.

Thank you, hope it makes sense...
    Last edited by 'Abd Al-Maajid; 12-16-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    chat Quote

Rafeeq's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Since, you are living with people around you who are celebrating, you are feeling warm. It is just psychological affact. Non-muslims living in muslims states are also celebrating Eids or feeling the same you are feeling. But still they remain stick to their religion. I have personal experience with such people.
    How does it make u feel?

When there is nothing left but Allah that is when you find out that Allah is all you need.
    chat Quote

nature's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I kinda know what you mean, although tbh i only look forward to the time we get off at christmas I think its everything associated with it, as in snow, trashy telly, the fact that most christians unite for the day,but eids a bit like that 2 right ? jus minus the snow!

I dont celebrate it either, but i can see how the excitement builds up over the year.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    nature's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid View Post
    Here Christmas means Party time, late night parties. I feel sad even pagans celebrate this, funny innit?
    being the only hijabi in the office, this is what i usually say to the other ladies i work with. their idea of christmas, is stuffing their bellies, being nyc to family for a bit, & then getting drunk at the pub. Some people dont even go to church ? & i thought as a christian that was a must, if they dont even bother saying a blessing when they sit down for the meal, then whats the point ?
    chat Quote

elina's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i grew up with christmas being 'the done thing' and my family and everyone i knew celebrated it, but just as a good holiday with no religious aspect to it at all..... i dont know anyone except an elderly relative that goes to church at christmas time. I found christmas boring as a child and always questioned how did we know when Jesus was born? then after having kids of my own i began to enjoy it and look forward to it ... but only the Santa bit of it all As my kids got older i stopped celebrating christmas and my family and friends despair that i dont do it..... they call me everything from a grouch to a skinflint to a party pooper and look at me in shock horror every year when i say im not celebrating. This year the only thing Im going to be doing that is 'christmassy' is making a traditional dinner as my husband has never had one
    chat Quote

Amoeba's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Christmas, from what I've seen, doesn't even seem to be a religious thing any more. My whole family celebrate it and they don't have a religion at all, in fact they consider Christianity more unbelievable than Islam (I do realise that even some Christians don't celebrate Christmas or acknowledge it, but it still seems to be associated with Christianity). Yet they still get all festive and as you say warm and fuzzy inside. My mum loves it. Alhamdulilah they understand this year that I don't want to participate and they're okay with it, but on previous years they'd get really stressed out at my disinterest in Christmans for some odd reason.
    chat Quote

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think it's natural that you are feeling that way, especially since you live in a country that is big on christmas, especially the commercial side of it.
    Christmas is a pagan holiday, and just like any pagan holiday, it is designed to appeal to human emotions and play around with it. We are only human, but you need to resist how it plays on your emotion by remembering hard cold facts about christmas.

Remember that christmas itself is an invention based on roman and nordic pagan holidays. It wasn't even until the 6th century when a monk decided that jesus pbuh was born on the 25th.
    Even bible itself is against tree decoration (which is now a huge part of christmas):
    "The customs of the people are worthless, they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel, they adore it with silver and gold, they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter" (Jeremiah 10-3,4).
    chat Quote

Perseveranze's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalaamu Alaikum,

"The Messenger (Muhammad saawslong 1 - How does it make u feel?) believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and (so do) the believers. Each one believes in Allâh, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. They say, "We make no distinction between one another of His Messengers" - and they say, "We hear, and we obey. (We seek) Your Forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the return (of all)." - (Quran 2:285)

In theory if we celebrated the Prophet's(pbut) birthdays (and according to Hadith there have been 124,000 Prophets(pbut)), we could be doing it every day...

In my honest opinion, when I see the type of people that celebrate Christmas, it gives me the feel that it's become more of a cultural thing rather than a religious one.
    Last edited by Perseveranze; 12-16-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    How does it make u feel?

A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    S.Belle's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    a big giraffe mwah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes i get the feeling as well I grew up Christian so whenever Thanksgiving or Christmas comes around the feeling emerges.
    Its somewhat impossible not to feel in the festive mood (now im not saying go out and buy a tree and decorate it lol or even participate) but its on tv, when you go to the store,...its really almost everywhere. Just sit back and watch and thank God you dont have to do all that nonsense shopping.
    How does it make u feel?

"Yesterday is history.
    Tomorrow is a mystery.
    Today is a gift.
    That's why we call it 'The Present'."
    chat Quote

aadil77's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Glory Be To Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by muslimsister1 View Post

Hope your all in good health by the grace of Almighty Allah SWT... i dont know what you all wil think to this... i live in the UK.. christmas is jst round the corner... n i get a warm feeling and feel all festive when its christmas time... obviously i dont celebrate christmas but i get a warm feeling... it mind sound stupid i knw but jst cant help it.. is der any1else who feels like this? is it wrong to feel this as a muslim?

lol I get that feeling too...

its just the christmas hype that the media like to big up: coca cola, presents, holidays, dinner at home with family, snow outside (white christmas) etc
    How does it make u feel?

33 43 1 - How does it make u feel?
    He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
    www.QuranicAudio.com
    www.Quran.com
    chat Quote

Ğħαrєєвαħ's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I also used to have the same feeling, in particular the christmas lights only interested me and living here in my area there have been a number of snowless Christmas`s.

There were times you would recieve gifts and the shopping centres would be open late, so i guess there would be a different feeling involved. Although, as brother Rafeeq said some Christians may feel the same way when Eid is on its way or is here.
    I remember someone who is a christian telling me she feels at peace when Ramadhaan is here.

peace
    How does it make u feel?

"Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyum (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists).".."[Al Qur'aan 3:2]
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by muslimsister1 View Post

It isn't just you, as a Muslim, I feel the same way, as an atheist. Just because we're not Christians doesn't mean we can't enjoy the winter holiday season. If it helps any, the holiday is actually not even Christian originally. It was borrowed from pagans. Jesus wasn't really born on the 24th or 25th of December. Christmas trees, gingerbread men, and the yule log (and of course Santa) are all old customs that have nothing to do with Christianity.

So enjoy Christmas, the winter soltice, the holidays, Saturnalia, or whatever you want to call it I'm making gingerbread as I write this.
    Last edited by Pygoscelis; 12-17-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Christmas as it exists today is fairly new. The first Christmas card was printed in 1843. The first Christmas carol(The First Noel) was sung in 1833. The first Christmas tree is unknown but it seem the origin was in Latvia in the late 1400's but did not become popular in Europe or the Americas until the 1800s.

Up until the mid 1800's Christmas was a very somber religious holiday for Christians and was usually a day spent in prayer and fasting, not the festivities of the secular world as it is today. What is now known as Christmas is not a religious festivity and is probably celebrated by more Non-Christians world wide than it is by Christians. But as a secular day of festivity and not as a religious holiday.
    How does it make u feel?

Herman 1 - How does it make u feel?

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I genuinely feel nothing and the sad part is I have lost that feeling toward Eid too, Ramadan used to be like that pretty much before I joined LI, then I got the al7mdlillah I got part of old feeling back I forced myself to come in daily and post in Ramadanyat just to get a sense of community and the holy days.. I don't know perhaps it is growing old or maybe I need some sort of religious reawakening.. but I get positively no feelings toward any celebration anymore -- some down right annoy me like valentines day.. I think perhaps the one that is slightly amusing is Halloween.. I like autumn colors with a little chill and a little creepiness..

I am sad for all those entranced by the phony lights and glitter but I am sadder for me still because I feel nothing at all..ugh..

How does it make u feel?

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - How does it make u feel?

chat Quote

Abdul-Raouf's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    cageprisoners.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

When i was a kid..even Diwali used to be very joyful.... (My state produces the most Fire Crackers in India).. we get many hi-fi crackers for cheap price...it was a kinda proud feeling to burst many crackers.

Things changed.. Realised why it is celebrated... now Its just another Holiday.. Now i feel..why people are burning money(bursting crackers - they are really costly now).
    chat Quote

akulion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam Alaikum,

Interesting topic - it is not unusual to feel certain feelings when you are surrounded by things which would influence your moods, such as:

- festive decorations
    - festive quotes 'its the season to be jolly'
    - people being more friendly and nicer than usual
    - festive catchy tunes playing
    - everyone talking about family and friends
    - movies on tv with emotionally charged stories of kindness etc

All these factors will surely effect your mood and the way you will feel. You may even find yourself humming a Christmas tune, but dont be surprised since its not the "spirit" entering you as someone tried to tell me - but rather its just the effect of your surroundings.

Just watch and enjoy the lights and celebrate Eid when it comes around

Bro Akbar
    chat Quote

Cabdullahi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i feel bored in christmas...i could choke santa....ops i mean satan

this is the season to be jolly balalalala lala lala!

big corporations love christmas because they can get you to spend lots of money....money you dont have
    Last edited by Cabdullahi; 12-22-2010 at 08:08 PM.
    chat Quote

SafaAuditore's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Im just like you! I LOVE the christmas times, like the decorations and the shows and stuff they're all great! <3
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    M.I.A.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

this year i have been asked more times than ever if i celebrate christmas, i just say sort of, its a time when the family has a chance to spend some time together.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! How does it make u feel? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. How does it make u feel?