× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 66 visibility 8452

Why be a member here?

S.Belle's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    a big giraffe mwah
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Why be a member here?

Report bad ads?

I dont know about my bros/sis' in Islam but this question has crossed my mind when I see Atheist, Christian,etc. members here. I'm not saying that they should not be here, but some of the non-muslim posters come here and argue or some come here with no intentions to embrace or accept Islam.

What I am courious about is as a non-muslim (muslims may answer as well):
    What motivated you to join an Islamic forum?
    Do you get any benefit from joining an Islamic forum?

This thread wasnt created to put anyone down. I'm just simply courious because I dont think I personally would join a religious forum that did not promote the religion that I follow.
    And please keep it peaceful here
    Last edited by S.Belle; 12-20-2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Why be a member here?

"Yesterday is history.
    Tomorrow is a mystery.
    Today is a gift.
    That's why we call it 'The Present'."
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    serena77's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Why be a member here?

Mila - salaam and peace
    a lot i would assume.. join for curiousity and while some may argue thats not a good enough reason... isn't it better they have their questions answered .. by say a forum such as this as opposed to western media?

Im catholic ( still... I think ... ) i have yet to take the shahada i'm trying very hard to get myself to the point where i can... i hope a lot of it is apprenhension that is unfounded.. but i'm not sure ... doesnt mean i don't believe in Allah and that mohammed is his final profile. I haven'been too mass in months and i've done a lot of study... I would never ever try and attack someone... however if someone is out of line no matter what their religion is... i'm going to speak up... that doesn't mean i'm against any one religion....i'm not ... never will be.
    Oh h well.. my .02 cents and YMMV
    Serena
    chat Quote

aadil77's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Glory Be To Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

some are here to try but fail at scrutinising islam (Hugo)

others are here to get their facts right

others are here to learn more and eventually accept islam

and others are here to proselytise their own religions
    Why be a member here?

33 43 1 - Why be a member here?
    He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
    www.QuranicAudio.com
    www.Quran.com
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77 View Post
    some are here to try but fail at scrutinising islam (Hugo)

LOL

Some come here to troll.
    Why be a member here?

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I would imagine there are as many reasons for non-Muslims to join this forum as there are non-Muslim members. As to why some stay on for very long times, even though they have no intention or desire to accept Islam only they can answer. But, the simple fact is no body is going to stay long on any forum unless it is giving them what they either desire, need or enjoy.

A simple answer will be that what they read in the posts and replies is giving them something they seek. An even simpler answer and more direct is they like associating with us.

It really is no different from why Muslims join and stay. We came here as Muslims, it does not take long to learn what a forum has to offer in knowledge but we continue on and stay. Often for many years. Long past the time it takes to learn the simple basics of Islam, we may not have known.

I came here as a new revert, with the desire to learn more of my De'en, increase my emaan and Inshallaah be able to help in some small manner. I stayed and continue to stay because this has become my family and is a very logical means of keeping in contact with my Brothers and Sisters in the Ummah.
    Why be a member here?

Herman 1 - Why be a member here?

chat Quote

PouringRain's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I enjoy Islamic forums for a number of reasons.... one is that I like to learn.
    Why be a member here?

My soul waits silently for God;
    From Him comes my salvation.

Psalm 62:1
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

To type. I like to type.
    chat Quote

Rafeeq's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I came here to just have fun but now I feel being on board like being in my home. When I feel depressed, I come more often here and get relaxed.
    Why be a member here?

When there is nothing left but Allah that is when you find out that Allah is all you need.
    chat Quote

tigerkhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Mila View Post
    free time...

Do you get any benefit from joining an Islamic forum?
    yes, atleast i enjoy and learn how are the other muslim in world. what is their thinking, pbms and how is their life...i got a little bit idea..+ i enjoy a good company. there are many members, i like their posts, their thinking.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Perseveranze's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalaamu Alaikum(peace be with everyone),

I joined to learn more about my religion and try my best to help others learn aswell. There's alot of misconceptions about Islam, so imo it's really important for Muslims to educate themselves so they can stand up and remove these misconceptions.

As for the Non-Muslims, I'd like to hope and think they didn't buy what the Media said and so decided to come here to learn aswell.
    Why be a member here?

A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com
    chat Quote

nature's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

joined to learn more about the "real islam" instead of blindly following.
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I joined this forum almost 5 years ago at the suggestion of a young muslimah revert who I had met in a Christian forum. We are both still in touch now and have become good friends.

I joined this forum to understand Islam better, so I could relate and have better friendships with the Muslims in my neighbourhood. In that sense LI has been invaluable to me!
    I understand Islamic customs and beliefs better, I can wish people Ramadan Mubarak, I know what to say and do and what not to say and do.

There also was a time when being a member here made me look very seriously at my own beliefs and my own faith, and I had to affirm for myself where I stood and what I believed and why. Being surrounded by the thoughts and comments of so many non-Christians (not only Muslims, but atheists and people from other faiths too) is a challenge - one which I embrace and enjoy, and which has taken me further down my own journey with God.

I sometimes wonder too why I am still a member here after so many years.
    I certainly think it has become more difficult for non-Muslim members here compared to how it was in the beginning (just my personal thoughts). Forum rules and restrictions are much stricter than they were initially.

I think by the end of the day I am still a member here because of the many friends I have made here.
    We have come a long way together, and sharing our lives with others is what makes friends and communities. LI is one of my cyber communities, and probably my most important one.
    Over the last years I have shared in people's joys and tears, as they have in mine. We have walked together.
    We have witnessed people getting married and babies being born (not literally, of course! )
    A couple of respected and loved forum members have died, others have lost family members.

These are the thing which bond people together and make coherent communities!

I know that LI aims to bond people together on the basis of a shared faith, but clearly there are other factors, which keep non-Muslims returning to this place as their cyber home.

Keep up the good work!
    Why be a member here?

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - Why be a member here?

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Lynx's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Being in the company of Muslims is refreshing
    Why be a member here?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    -Plato
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I dont know about my bros/sis' in Islam but this question has crossed my mind when I see Atheist, Christian,etc. members here. I'm not saying that they should not be here, but some of the non-muslim posters come here and argue or some come here with no intentions to embrace or accept Islam.
    Good question.

I am a member of several fora (e.g. politics, philospohy etc.) and I can tell you that the majority of members join a chosen forum because they are comforted by what is known as the ‘echo chamber’ effect i.e. they state a view and someone replies back confirming that their views is correct. In general people don’t like someone producing an argument or evidence suggesting that their views are not correct. I have examined that question on this forum which threads asking question ‘Do you want to live in a bubble?’ i.e. do you just want your own views retuned to you as correct or do you want them examined and rigorously questioned (by people like me). The reply I got was that you do want hard questions. In reality you don’t but you are no different from most others. People like me (and I suspect the other non-muslim members of this forum) join forums with opposing views because they want to learn and you learn more by discussing issues with people who have alterantive views not with people who have the same views. Most of you (and I mean all the you’s on this and other fora) see people like me as the enemy sent to aggitate you rather that a foil on which to test yourself and your ideas.

Why do you not join a non-Muslim forum and ask them why they believe what they believe and tell them why they are wrong?
    Last edited by Thinker; 12-22-2010 at 11:35 AM.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    nature's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I joined this forum to understand Islam better, so I could relate and have better friendships with the Muslims in my neighbourhood.
    format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I know what to say and do and what not to say and do.

commendable! I wish there was more people like you around, esp where i am, instead of having 2 face the usual opinionated morons.
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by nature View Post
    commendable! I wish there was more people like you around, esp where i am, instead of having 2 face the usual opinionated morons.
    I agree with Thinker.
    To be able to live together peacefully and harmoniously we must first try to understand each other. The way we understand each other is to learn what the other thinks and beliefs, what values s/he holds, what customs s/he follows, etc.
    Understanding each other is not the same as agreeing with each other.
    I disagree quite fundamentally with beliefs and opinions expressed by some people (be that here or elsewhere), but that should never stop me from trying to understand and learn more.

Nature, people easily respond to those who are different by being harsh, critical and judgmental. It seems to be the human default position. People are either 'in your group' (= friend) or 'outside of your group' (= enemy).
    That might make for an easy outlook on life, but it doesn't make for peaceful communities and societies.

If enough people try to reach out to each other and make an effort to understand and relate to each other and to overcome their differences, we can make our own communities better places!
    If people treat you badly on account of your religion, isn't that an opportunity to demonstrate to them the beauty of your religion?

I wish you well. Salaam
    Why be a member here?

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

S.Belle's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    a big giraffe mwah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    Why do you not join a non-Muslim forum and ask them why they believe what they believe and tell them why they are wrong?

When I have questions about a certain religion I personally would rather go to a library and find out what it is that another religion believes and why by reading that certain religion's textbook(s) instead of getting opinions from people who follow that certain religion bc they will only make it seem like their religion is the best...which would be normal we all want our religion/belief to be the best and seen in a positive light.
    I am willing to learn about new religions its just that I dont see why I would have to go thru that religion's followers to learn...I should simply be able to open that religons holy book.
    And I do not feel it is my place to tell someone that their beliefs are wrong (even if I do have those feelings). I wouldnt want someone doing it to me so I shouldnt do that to others...simple as that.
    Last edited by S.Belle; 12-23-2010 at 09:08 PM.
    Why be a member here?

"Yesterday is history.
    Tomorrow is a mystery.
    Today is a gift.
    That's why we call it 'The Present'."
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

When I have questions about a certain religion I personally would rather go to a library and find out what it is that another religion believes and why by reading that certain religion's textbook(s) instead of getting opinions from people who follow that certain religion bc they will only make it seem like their religion is the best...which would be normal we all want our religion/belief to be the best and seen in a positive light
    I'm the opposite.

I'd much rather hear from people what they believe and why they follow their religion than read the theology in a book.
    I guess I am more interested in individual thoughts and reasons, it gives me a better understanding of the human element of religion.
    I also get a better idea of the range of beliefs and understandings within each religion.
    Because, no matter how much people try to tell you otherwise, it is not the case that 'one size fits all'. People from the same religion have a range of different interpretations and understanding of certain details within the framework of their religion.
    I love to understand those differences and get to know individuals' very personal and unique views.
    Why be a member here?

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

When I have questions about a certain religion I personally would rather go to a library
    You are missing the point. It is not a matter of finding an answer it is a about understanding the answer. It may be possible to do that in a library but it would be difficult to the extreme.

In a search to find the truth Socrates utilised a process known as Critical Thinking which encouraged a dialogue of continual probing questions of the teacher, in a concerted effort to explore the underlying beliefs that shape the students views and opinions. That’s what I do here and elsewhere, that’s how I hope to understand. And, in doing that here and elsewhere, I don’t just seek to understand others I seek to understand myself. The difference between me and you is that I have no fear of what I might discover so long as it is the truth, you (and by you I mean all of you who like to spend your life in an echo chamber) fear what you might learn.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    You are missing the point. It is not a matter of finding an answer it is a about understanding the answer. It may be possible to do that in a library but it would be difficult to the extreme.
    It does depend on the person. I personally don't find it difficult. Books are a good place to find information about religions. You should try it.
    Why be a member here?

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Why be a member here? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Why be a member here?