× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 11 of 11 visibility 2583

Autumn Harvest Gourds

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Autumn Harvest Gourds

Report bad ads?

201010181417562mixedgourdsareexhibitedat 1 - Autumn Harvest Gourds

Does anyone know how to paint gourds? I mean I guess everyone can just buy them but I think it would be a fun craft project to do with the kids.. Not quite sure what kind of paint to use, and if they need heat or sun or what to dry and look realistic.. any tips would be much obliged..

Autumn Harvest Gourds

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Autumn Harvest Gourds

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Autumn Harvest Gourds

really cute but rather make it than buy it..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fall-Harvest-Tha...item5640d455f7

I miss autumn already it is my second favorite season.. all the colors and beauty.. such splendor, harvest and a new crisp smell in the air..
    Autumn Harvest Gourds

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Autumn Harvest Gourds

chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

As a kid my grandparents raised gourds nearly every year. But we used them for functional things like water bottles, dippers, bird houses etc. So we never painted them they all came out a sort of yellowish color. But to dry them we first gently scraped the outside with a dull knife, then either poked a few holes in the stem end or cut a small hole. To dry we set some of them on the floor behind the kitchen stove (Big old wood burning stove that also served to heat the house.) Some of the larger gourds we spread out on the attic floor. About once a week us kids had the job of turning the gourds we would roll each one about 1/4 turn. It did take almost a year for them to dry fully and as soon as one batch was finally dry, it was time to start drying a new crop.
    Autumn Harvest Gourds

Herman 1 - Autumn Harvest Gourds

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

what are they exactly? I thought people carved them out of wood and then either painted them or put them up for sale for other people to paint..I do see quite many of them on ebay used for bird housing and such .. I am a bit embarrassed to admit this but I only learned about them after shopping at crate and barrel .. they had a few on sale and I didn't buy them at the time and then i regretted it because I just thought they're the greatest thing since croissants with jam and tea

Autumn Harvest Gourds

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Insaanah's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    ★ Islam is THE way ★
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

dear ukhty,

format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ View Post
    what are they exactly?
    They are the relatives of pumpkins, and are from the same family. You grow them just like pumpkins.

Unfortunately that's all I can tell you about them.

This wikipedia page has a bit of info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gourd
    Autumn Harvest Gourds

Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").

This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)

Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah View Post
    They are the relatives of pumpkins, and are from the same family. You grow them just like pumpkins. Unfortunately that's all I can tell you about them. This wikipedia page has a bit of info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gourd

that tells me alot shuga.. they're the dried shells of these fruits.. I was under the impression they were carved out of wood but it seems the authentic ones are made from dried shells..

Jazaki Allah khyran
    Autumn Harvest Gourds

chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ View Post

that tells me alot shuga.. they're the dried shells of these fruits.. I was under the impression they were carved out of wood but it seems the authentic ones are made from dried shells..

Jazaki Allah khyran
    Ukhti,

Gourds are quite versatile. A number of them besides their cousins the pumpkins and Squash are edible. Such as my favorite the "Hercules Club" gourd which can be very large I believe over 6 feet long. Largest I have personally grown were about 5 feet. In their juvenile stage until they are about 3 feet long they can be used exactly like egg plant and are quite delicious. Another real good one is the Loufah gourd. Usually grown for the inside dried fiber which can be used like a sponge but until it is about a foot long it can be eaten like squash. They are a very versatile group of vegetable with uses way beyond food. One of the wonders od Allaah(swt) Subhan Allah

Some interesting info:

Cucumbers, Melons & Gourds
    Cucurbitaceae
    The Gourd Family
    (Excerpts from "Cucumbers, Melons, and Gourds From Seed To Supper" 2nd Edition)

Cucurbitaceae The Gourd Family This family includes cucumbers, melons, pumpkins and squash along with utilitarian, decorative and edible gourds. Cucurbitaceae, the Gourd family (sometimes called the marrow family) are affectionately called cucurbits. Cucurbits are vine plants that produce fruit we consume as a vegetable. The fruit ranges in size from tiny marble sized Jumbie pumpkins to 6 foot long giant gourds. Most cucurbit vines are long and rambling. The 'bush' varieties have short and compact vines. The 'semi-bush' varieties are somewhere in the middle. Cucurbits are usually monoecious, producing pollen laden male flowers and seed bearing female flowers on the same plant.

Cucumbers, cultivated in India and Egypt for over 3000 years, were introduced to Northern Europe by the Greco-Roman culture. Cucumbers, melons and gourds all seem to have originated in southern Asia and Africa. Modern watermelons derive from a north African vine, Citrullus vulgaris, which has been cultivated in the Nile Valley for centuries. It still grows wild in the desert interior supplying water to natives during drought.
    SOURCE
    Autumn Harvest Gourds

Herman 1 - Autumn Harvest Gourds

chat Quote

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    You may not want to know this, but the men of the native tribes in the easternmost island of Indonesia (west papua) wear gourd to cover their private parts. And it is the only thing they wear. It's called koteka.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koteka
    They also dry out gourds and use them for water container, art crafts, etc.

Another interesting note is that gourds were the fruit that Allah SWT grew next to prophet Yunus (as) after Allah SWT pardoned him and took him out from the fish. Prophet Yunus (as) ate them and were cured from his illnesses and became strong and healthy.
    Last edited by ~Raindrop~; 12-27-2010 at 01:12 AM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar View Post
    You may not want to know this, but the men of the native tribes in the easternmost island of Indonesia (west papua) wear gourd to cover their private parts. And it is the only thing they wear. It's called koteka. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koteka They also dry out gourds and use them for water container, art crafts, etc.

Interesting.. they must play alot of contact sports

Jazaka Allah khyran for sharing...
    Last edited by ~Raindrop~; 12-27-2010 at 01:06 AM.
    Autumn Harvest Gourds

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Hamza Asadullah's Avatar Moderator
    brightness_1
    Glory be to Allah!!!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Squash is among the vegetables mentioned by the Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). A Hadith from Bukhari quotes that Ibn Malik said, "A tailor invited the Prophet to a meal that he had prepared, and I went along with the Prophet. The tailor presented barley bread and soup containing gourd and cured meat. I saw the Prophet picking the pieces of gourd from around the dish, and since then I have kept on liking gourd."
    Autumn Harvest Gourds

How to get through Hardships & trials in life:

https://www.islamicboard.com/advice-...mp-trials.html

How to overcome Waswas (insinuating whispers of shaythan) in Worship:

https://www.islamicboard.com/advice-...d-worship.html

10 Steps to Increasing Imaan & getting closer to Allah:

https://www.islamicboard.com/manners...d-version.html

https://www.islamicboard.com/manners...ser-allah.html
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81 View Post
    Squash is among the vegetables mentioned by the Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). A Hadith from Bukhari quotes that Ibn Malik said, "A tailor invited the Prophet to a meal that he had prepared, and I went along with the Prophet. The tailor presented barley bread and soup containing gourd and cured meat. I saw the Prophet picking the pieces of gourd from around the dish, and since then I have kept on liking gourd."

awwwwwww.. sob7an Allah.. I think prophet Mohammed (PBUH) just wanted to leave the cured meat for his host...
    Autumn Harvest Gourds

chat Quote

15. Hide
Hey there! Autumn Harvest Gourds Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Autumn Harvest Gourds