× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 7 of 7 visibility 2374

Which is better/easier for "you" Arabic learners?

Danah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    protectedpearls.com
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

What is better/easier for those who are learning Arabic language, writing the word as it should be written, or as it should be pronounced?

For example:
    Al Salam Alykom
    or
    Assalamu Alykom

in the second sentences I wrote it as we have to pronounced it with tashkeel.

I wonder if that make some learners confused about the language.

I need your feedback jazakum Allah khair
    Last edited by Danah; 01-11-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Visit my website
    ProtectedPearls.com

Your way to find the truth

Follow us on:

YouTube
    Twitter
    Facebook

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    MustafaMc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Which is better/easier for "you" Arabic learners?

For me it is helpful to have it transliterated as I would pronounce it. However, in reciting the Arabic we should learn how to go from the Arabic script to correct pronunciation. That is where the silent 'L' and such come in to play.
    chat Quote

Danah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    protectedpearls.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc View Post
    For me it is helpful to have it transliterated as I would pronounce it. However, in reciting the Arabic we should learn how to go from the Arabic script to correct pronunciation. That is where the silent 'L' and such come in to play.
    JazakAllah khair for your feedback.
    When I get asked by others about Arabic or translate an article where I need to romanize some Arabic words like salat (prayer) I wonder whether I need to write it as salat or salah...the later is the way we pronounce it while the first is the way we write it in.

It will be even more confused to write them in both ways if I need to let learners be aware of them all.
    Last edited by Danah; 01-11-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Visit my website
    ProtectedPearls.com

Your way to find the truth

Follow us on:

YouTube
    Twitter
    Facebook

chat Quote

Insaanah's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    ★ Islam is THE way ★
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah View Post
    When I get asked by others about Arabic or translate an article where I need to romanize some Arabic words like salat (prayer) I wonder whether I need to write it as salat or salah...the later is the way we pronounce it while the first is the way we write it in..
    I think the most important thing is that the person reading the article pronounces the words correctly as they should be pronounced in Arabic.

So Assalaamu alaykum, salaah etc.

In English, for words people aren't familiar with, they will pronounce them literally as they see them written, and if written according to the Arabic spellings, this will result in wrong pronounciations.

Just my opinion.

Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").

This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)

Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    MustafaMc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah View Post
    In English, for words people aren't familiar with, they will pronounce them literally as they see them written, and if written according to the Arabic spellings, this will result in wrong pronounciations.
    I agree with this point as well. For those who are learning Arabic text, they will know when a letter is silent or is pronounced as an 'm' even though in Arabic it is an 'n'.
    chat Quote

Mohamed Fathi's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah View Post

What is better/easier for those who are learning Arabic language, writing the word as it should be written, or as it should be pronounced?

For example:
    Al Salam Alykom
    or
    Assalamu Alykom

in the second sentences I wrote it as we have to pronounced it with tashkeel.

I wonder if that make some learners confused about the language.

I need your feedback jazakum Allah khair
    Look Dana,
    Take this advice from an arabian guy ..
    You should learn the word as it is written .. ask me why??
    you learn Arabic not only to speak but also to read Qur'an, Books, .... etc.
    Arabic inn Qur'an and Books is written as it should be written, not as it should be pronounced, so if u learn it as it should be pronounced , you will not be able to read books or Qur'an ..
    So, you should learn Both ,,how to write and how to pronounce as well .
    chat Quote

Tyrion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Just think about how Arabic is taught in professional settings. I've never heard of an Arabic book or University classroom that didn't write the words the way they were pronounced, and that's because it just doesn't make much sense to write "Al-Salam Alaykum" versus "Assalamu Alaykum."... It would just hinder the learning process and confuse English speakers...

Although, the best method is to just abandon transliteration as soon as possible, which is how most (most likely all) classes do it. They basically only use the English version while the students are still learning the Arabic alphabet, and once they have that down, it's strictly Arabic.
    chat Quote

10. Hide
Hey there! Which is better/easier for "you" Arabic learners? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Which is better/easier for "you" Arabic learners?