× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 68 visibility 9005

Non muslims referring to God as Allah

S.Belle's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    a big giraffe mwah
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
    But I have heard from some Muslims who have a problem with non-Muslims using the term Allah to describe God. What are your thoughts on that?

format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
    Ive heard that as well but personally it doesnt bother me bc well at least they know that Allah is God. Some non muslims think Allah is a sun/moon god that muslims worship or for instance my mom got asked by this lady ''So Muhammad (pbuh) is your God and Allah is ur prophet?''.
    It may get a bit confusing when a non muslim refers to God as Allah bc u may think they're muslims when they are not but i see it more of respect/understanding for Islam.
    Thought this was a really GREAT question and didnt want another thread to be thrown off topic
    what are your thoughts?

Remember be respectful

"Yesterday is history.
    Tomorrow is a mystery.
    Today is a gift.
    That's why we call it 'The Present'."
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Non muslims referring to God as Allah

I feel that all people, Muslim or non-Muslims who pray to the One Monotheistic God(swt) revealed through Adam (as), Musa(as) Ibrahim(as) Isa(as) and all of the True Prophets(PBUT) should use the true name of Allaah(swt). It was the name used by the early Jews, Christians and Sabeeans and is the name they should have always kept.

As a side note I am personally upset at the use of the name god after finding it's origin and what it actually means. Allaah(swt) is not god and should not be called god by any people, just my opinion. I can understand many non-Muslims will disagree with me on this, but I will stick to my opinion.

Herman 1 - Non muslims referring to God as Allah

chat Quote

Musalman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

God is one. And is the only Creator called Allah. So if the non-muslims refer to God as Allah, I don`t see that how they are wrong?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    a big giraffe mwah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salams bro Woodrow
    if you dont mind could you please explain what you mean
    what is origin of the name God?
    what about shahada
    I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is His servant and messenger
    To be muslim you must believe this but doesnt that contradict what you just said
    format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
    Allaah(swt) is not god and should not be called god by any people

im not trying to argue im just confused at your post so please explain to me your thoughts.

"Yesterday is history.
    Tomorrow is a mystery.
    Today is a gift.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    YusufNoor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    I feel that all people, Muslim or non-Muslims who pray to the One Monotheistic God(swt) revealed through Adam (as), Musa(as) Ibrahim(as) Isa(as) and all of the True Prophets(PBUT) should use the true name of Allaah(swt). It was the name used by the early Jews, Christians and Sabeeans and is the name they should have always kept.

As a side note I am personally upset at the use of the name god after finding it's origin and what it actually means. Allaah(swt) is not god and should not be called god by any people, just my opinion. I can understand many non-Muslims will disagree with me on this, but I will stick to my opinion.

i'm thinking me and Uncle are in agreement.

let's look at the thread title:

it seems to imply that Allah's name in really God and that we are the only ones with this [seemingly foolish] name.

the question, as i see it:

what do you think of non-Muslims who call Allah Allah? the answer? well, it IS HIS Name!!

now if you ask, "what do you think of non-Muslims who call Allah God?" it seems to be a bit of an insult, as they have other gods. i prefer the special name.

Uncle, if you have info on "the name god after finding it's origin and what it actually means," please post it!

Had the non-believer known of all the Mercy which is in the Hands of Allah, he would not lose hope of entering Paradise, and had the believer known of all the punishment which is present with Allah, he would not consider himself safe from the Hell-Fire
    http://www.muftimenk.co.za/Downloads.html
    chat Quote

IAmZamzam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Uh, doesn't the name "Allah" long predate the time of our religion?

Peace be to any prophets I may have mentioned above. Praised and exalted be my Maker, if I have mentioned Him. (Come to think of it praise Him anyway.)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Mila View Post
    Salams bro Woodrow
    if you dont mind could you please explain what you mean
    what is origin of the name God?
    what about shahada
    I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is His servant and messenger
    To be muslim you must believe this but doesnt that contradict what you just said

im not trying to argue im just confused at your post so please explain to me your thoughts.

Well to understand the English word god you need to understand it's origin. It comes from the Germanic word Gott (Originally Gad) and originally did not refer to Allaah(swt). The German people were pagans and of Indo-European heritage the language is of considerable Hindu influence. One of the manifestations of the Hindu deity Vishnu was called Gad and this was one of the pagan gods worshiped by the early Teutonic tribes of Germany. God eventually came to mean deity in English the name God as applied as a name for the God of the Christians came about in about the year 800 but did not show in print in the English language bible until the year 1611. Through the works of Shakespeare and the 1611 version of the KJV the word God(swt) became popularized as the name for the one god. Although in a few of his plays Shakespeare did use the term Gadzooks (in old English "Gad's Zuks" meaning God's Hooks), Medieval slang and somewhat blasphemous reference to the nails of the crucifixion. But there you can fully see the use of the old Hindu Pagan name Gad

In the shahadah La'ilah translates more closely to "There is no diety" The lower case, not capitalized word god, in common English

what about shahada

The word God should not be capitalized. It is god(generally accepted as meaning deity) so when the Shahadah is written in English it should be written as : I bear witness that there is no god but Allaah and that Muhammad is His servant and messenger. In which case there is no mistaking of God as being the name of the god.

chat Quote

gohar98's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post

Well to understand the English word god you need to understand it's origin. It comes from the Germanic word Gott (Originally Gad) and originally did not refer to Allaah(swt). The German people were pagans and of Indo-European heritage the language is of considerable Hindu influence. One of the manifestations of the Hindu deity Vishnu was called Gad and this was one of the pagan gods worshiped by the early Teutonic tribes of Germany. God eventually came to mean deity in English the name God as applied as a name for the God of the Christians came about in about the year 800 but did not show in print in the English language bible until the year 1611. Through the works of Shakespeare and the 1611 version of the KJV the word God(swt) became popularized as the name for the one god. Although in a few of his plays Shakespeare did use the term Gadzooks (in old English "Gad's Zuks" meaning God's Hooks), Medieval slang and somewhat blasphemous reference to the nails of the crucifixion. But there you can fully see the use of the old Hindu Pagan name Gad

In the shahadah La'ilah translates more closely to "There is no diety" The lower case, not capitalized word god, in common English

what about shahada

The word God should not be capitalized. It is god(generally accepted as meaning deity) so when the Shahadah is written in English it should be written as : I bear witness that there is no god but Allaah and that Muhammad is His servant and messenger. In which case there is no mistaking of God as being the name of the god.
    Thanks for informing. I really didn`t know about the greek word and it`s origin.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    a big giraffe mwah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

what about shahada

Oh ok I understand now Jazakallah Khair

"Yesterday is history.
    Tomorrow is a mystery.
    Today is a gift.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Perseveranze's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalaamu Alaikum,

It's fine if Non-Muslims want to use the word Allah, just hope they understand what it means, thats all.

A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Woodrow, going with your definition that god means deity, would you say that 'Allah' is the name of the one true god? Or his title/role? Or how else would you describe it?

I am trying to get my head round how 'Allah' is different from 'God' ...

My personal view would be that god = deity, which might mean all sorts of different things for different people from different faiths.
    'God' in Christianity (in my opinion) means the one true God, the God of Abraham, the deity which Jews refer to as 'Yahweh' and Muslims as 'Allah'.

Therefore, in my mind they are the same.
    When I pray I could use the term God or Yahweh or indeed Allah, and still address the same deity.

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - Non muslims referring to God as Allah

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Amat Allah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Slave of Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"Allah" is the same word used by Christian Arabs and Jewish Arabs in their Bible, centuries before Islam came

sapvas2xc6e9di1ikgif 1 - Non muslims referring to God as Allah
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Woodrow, going with your definition that god means deity, would you say that 'Allah' is the name of the one true god? Or his title/role? Or how else would you describe it?

My personal view would be that god = deity, which might mean all sorts of different things for different people from different faiths.
    'God' in Christianity (in my opinion) means the one true God, the God of Abraham, the deity which Jews refer to as 'Yahweh' and Muslims as 'Allah'.

When I pray I could use the term God or Yahweh or indeed Allah, and still address the same deity.
    Peace Glo,

As a title it means "The one true Diety with no partners, offspring or equals". It is also a Proper name as a name it contains at a minimum all of the 99 names mentioned in the Qur'an. if you ever see a written calligraphy of the Asma ul Hamsa ((99 Names of Allaah)

99namesofallah GOD 1 - Non muslims referring to God as Allah

100 names

99namesofallah GOD2 1 - Non muslims referring to God as Allah 99 names plus ONE Allaah1 1 - Non muslims referring to God as Allah Allaah

chat Quote

YusufNoor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post

the term "god" in Arabic is ilah. ilah also denotes something that you worship, whether deservedly or not, only that you imagine it so.

Allah is a contraction of Al ilah, according to some scholars, which means THE ONLY ONE WORTHY OF ALL WORSHIP

thus la ilaha illallah means:

there is nothing worthy of worship along with nothing that you imagine of being worthy of worship is actually worthy of worship EXCEPT for the ONE AND ONLY ONE Who is Worthy Of ALL Worship.

thus Allah is closer in meaning to "The One True God" as opposed to just god.

Last edited by YusufNoor; 01-19-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Had the non-believer known of all the Mercy which is in the Hands of Allah, he would not lose hope of entering Paradise, and had the believer known of all the punishment which is present with Allah, he would not consider himself safe from the Hell-Fire
    http://www.muftimenk.co.za/Downloads.html
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What else would we call your God? Why would anybody be upset about us calling your God by the name you assign your God? It distinguishes your conception of God from those of other religions. If I speak of Allah you know I am speaking of Islam. That anybody would object to that just seems peculiar.
    chat Quote

Perseveranze's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis View Post
    What else would we call your God? Why would anybody be upset about us calling your God by the name you assign your God? It distinguishes your conception of God from those of other religions. If I speak of Allah you know I am speaking of Islam. That anybody would object to that just seems peculiar.
    Peace,

If we got upset, then so would the Jews/Christians and thiests that refer to "God" as "Allah". Don't know where you come with the "your God" conclusion from.

A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com
    chat Quote

Hamza Asadullah's Avatar Moderator
    brightness_1
    Glory be to Allah!!!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalaamu alaikum, When i was in Egypt recently we visited an old coptic church in Cairo with our tour guide called the "hanging church" which has some significance to Christians and is sacred to them.

When i came towards the entrance i saw written on top of the entrance "La ilaha ilallah" and was quite surprised. Christians in Egypt also call god "Allah" and repeat the first part of our kalima but not the second part referring to our Prophet ( Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam).

In the past after the ascension of Isa (AlaihiSalaam) the true Christians believed in the kalima "La ilaha ilallah" until Constantine who was only ever concerned with power, wiped out true Christianity and from the huge influence of paganism from the greeks he along with others integrated paganism into Christianity and this is the Christianity we have today. A christianity which is now so far from the true message of monothiesm which was propogated by all Prophets including Isa (AlaihiSalaam).

May all of mankind have the FULL kalima on their lips and hearts. Ameen
    Last edited by Hamza Asadullah; 01-19-2011 at 10:16 PM.

How to get through Hardships & trials in life:

https://www.islamicboard.com/advice-...mp-trials.html

How to overcome Waswas (insinuating whispers of shaythan) in Worship:

https://www.islamicboard.com/advice-...d-worship.html

10 Steps to Increasing Imaan & getting closer to Allah:

https://www.islamicboard.com/manners...d-version.html

https://www.islamicboard.com/manners...ser-allah.html
    chat Quote

K.Venugopal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Allah is an Arabic word for God. So when anyone speaks of God in Arabic, he would naturally use the word Allah. Thus, the word God and Allah are generic in English and Arabic respectively. What precise concepts we have of these words would depend on the religion we follow.

"If you have two loaves of bread, sell one to buy hyacinths, for they will feed your soul." Mohammad
    chat Quote

Ami's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think it is really important that non Muslims talk about Allah because as I realised more and more people are foreign to the idea that Allah is God. I was talking to my friend who is Christian who thought that Allah was a separate god that only Muslims believe in. I was really shocked as I thought everyone just presumed that the arabic word for God is Allah.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ami View Post
    I think it is really important that non Muslims talk about Allah because as I realised more and more people are foreign to the idea that Allah is God. I was talking to my friend who is Christian who thought that Allah was a separate god that only Muslims believe in. I was really shocked as I thought everyone just presumed that the arabic word for God is Allah.
    I am responding in general here, but your response sheds some light on mine...so that is why I am quoting you. If I take the idea that the term Allah is simply the generic Arabic word for God, then your statement could read, "..I realised more adn more people are foreign to the idea that God is God."

I think the most judicious assessment of the situation is to recognize that words have denotative and connotative meanings. We must also recognize that the meaning of words change over time and come to have a variety of meanings. How many remember that the word law denotes that which is laid, or that the terms "right" and "wrong," which are now completely moral in their nature, originally signified crooked and straight.

Denotatively (definitional), the term Allah is the generic word for God, with no specific reference to any particular God. Connotatively (implied), it seems clear that the word Allah has come to reference the God of Islam specifically. Let me illustrated this by a question. Would the Shahadah be acceptable if an English confessor said, "There is no God but God..." I would think not.

It appears to me that the term Allah has taken the meaning of a proper noun, rather than just a noun. Allah has become the proper name of God.

For this reason as an English speaking Christian I do not use the word Allah to reference the true God. Used anywhere in my country, it would always invoke the idea of the Islamic God, not the God of the Bible. If this situation isn't the case in other nations/cultures, then I could understand their use of the word Allah. But in English, the generic word for God is God, and should be translated as such as to avoid confusion.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Non muslims referring to God as Allah Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Non muslims referring to God as Allah