× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 99 visibility 13808

Advice Please-- Is Music Haraam?

Just_A_Girl13's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Question Advice Please-- Is Music Haraam?

Report bad ads?

Peace be with you,

Before I discovered Islam and wanted to revert, I was seriously considering a career as a professional singer. It is my dream to become a singer and Allah gave me a beautiful voice. I was wondering if, as a Muslim, I could still pursue this career? Or would that be haraam?

Also, about musical instruments. I play the violin and I hear that musical instruments are less permissible than vocal music. Is this true? I want to become a Muslim but I don't want to quit playing the violin. Please help!
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Advice Please-- Is Music Haraam?

Peace,

I have Read many times the Quran and I have seen nothing forbideen the Music.

Maybe I am wrong can somebody help us about the question, thank you.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13 View Post
    Also, about musical instruments. I play the violin and I hear that musical instruments are less permissible than vocal music. Is this true? I want to become a Muslim but I don't want to quit playing the violin. Please help!

Salam sister,

You should look through past threads as this subject was just recently covered.

Masalam
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings,

Here is a list of threads that address the topic of music:

http://www.islamicboard.com/search.php?searchid=16369

Peace
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Beardo's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Weirdo + Beard = Beardo
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ That link didn't work for me for some reason.

It seems like nobody wants to discuss it.

I'll wait for someone to explain/discuss it further as well. But it would probably be better to pursue a different career. Perhaps you could even be a lyric writer.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The link didn't work for me either I would appreciate it if someone would offer advice pertaining to my specific situation, as I have researched at other sources and found them to be a bit vague.

Peace be with you
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
    Perhaps you could even be a lyric writer.

Why not a Qariah ?
    She said she has a good voice !
    chat Quote

Ğħαrєєвαħ's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalaamu Alaaykum

We have to be careful when we use the word 'Haraam'.. Haraam means something that is forbidden for us, why? because it is bad for us, sometimes we are aware of the wisdom behind a certain thing and sometimes we are not aware, so for this it requires faith/Emaan..And so there are many ways to gain that faith..

To your Question singing is allowed without music and not infront of non-mahram someone who is a stranger man to you, it would be okay within your house, with your husband, family etc..

The topic of music has been discussed for a long time, and so there are those who say it is forbidden and those who say it is not.. Music that contains words of no benefit and has musical instruments is something that is of no benefit towards one..Whereas if its singing on its own with words that are of no harm then there is no bad insha'Allaah..

Music is something that supposedly makes a person tend to them(thats one way i can put it i guess),for example when your sad one resorts to listening to music, when ones happy they want to make things extra exciting by listening to some sort of music or because its like a drug they never want to let go. However, in the case of Islaam, the recitation of Qur'aan is what is the real thing to listen to..

I heard in a lecture once, and i can say i agree with this from experience im sure you will too though im not sure if i will make sense so i apologise for that :\

The heart can love one thing at a time ( i think it started of like this :\ ) so when you listen to Music your heart will love it, it will not want to let go, one can only come up with excuses to defend music..but the thing that is saddening is that if someone tells you to listen to the Qur'aan, a recitation of Fatiha or surah Al Noor or any recitation of the holy Qur'aan, the heart will not be satisfied, it only desires for what you have given it, due to the love of music, one may ask, could you give up this music for the sake of the recitation of the Qur'aan? no, as it will become difficult, this is true..

On the other hand, one who devotes himself to listening to the recitation of the Qur'aan, the person is in love with the recitations similar to how someone would be in love with music. But if you listen to the music, your heart will hate it and not desire it. So tell me is it better to devote yourself to the word of your lord, or that which was created by man? Is not the recitation of the Qur'aan beautiful, so that you may never give it up due to it sounding so beautiful?

Also i will mention, if it is something that takes you away from the remembrance of your creator, then stay away from it, then it is made forbidden towards oneself because no benefit is being gained...

I hope i havent offended anyone and i had no intention to, please do ask away if you have any questions remaining insha'Allaah

may Allaah guide us to do what is best for us and stay away from that which takes us away from the Remembrance of the allmighty Aameen

"Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyum (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists).".."[Al Qur'aan 3:2]
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
    That link didn't work for me for some reason.
    Sorry about that. Strange.

The link was simply a search of the thread titles for the word "music". Maybe a search result like that can only be viewed by the person searching? That could be the problem.

Music is a topic that comes up often, and so people normally just refer newer posters to the threads that already exist on the subject. I can understand why it comes up so often - music is very important to a huge number of people, and many people are surprised when they find out that a majority of Muslim scholars regard it as sinful.

Peace
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan View Post
    Why not a Qariah ? She said she has a good voice !
    What is a Qariah?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Also, I have heard from some sources that singing would be okay if I didn't make any suggestive movements or sing anything with lyrics that went against the word of Allah (s.w.t.), i.e. songs with sexually suggestive lyrics or songs that referenced anything that is haraam. Is this true? Is it possible for me to continue my musical education while still being a good Muslim? I really don't want to quit music, but likewise I want to revert to Islam!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What is a Qariah?
    Salam sister,

A female expert Quran reciter.

As for all your other questions, the only way you will ever proper answers is when you belong to a Mathab (school of thought) as random answers even if true will not explain the whole picture to you plus you get also contradictions of interpretations and end up more confused than ever.
    In other words you need one source only to follow.
    When you have Inshallah been a few years in Islam you will understand the importance of sources.

Masalam
    chat Quote

Flame of Hope's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Before I discovered Islam and wanted to revert, I was seriously considering a career as a professional singer. It is my dream to become a singer and Allah gave me a beautiful voice. I was wondering if, as a Muslim, I could still pursue this career? Or would that be haraam?

Peace be unto you too.....

Becoming a Muslim is easy. To become a true Muslim takes time.

You must learn to have patience with yourself and not take on more than you can chew. Your first and foremost duty is to seek knowledge and strengthen your faith. Let that be your topmost priority. If your faith is not strong you will find countless difficulties on the way.

There have been people who very enthusiastically embraced Islam....... but after a while, they left it because they found it too difficult to adhere to the rules. Some became too obsessed with what was halal and what was haram...... and they lost focus on the main reason why they accepted Islam in the first place.

Islam is not about what is halal and haram........ it's about sincerity. On the Day of Judgement, sincerity towards Allah will be only thing that counts.

You are first sincere and then avoid the haram...... not the other way round. You don't give up music and singing and then become sincere. That's not how it works.

So stay focused on what counts. Keep your eyes upon the road.....pray to God to guide you.......be sincere towards Him.

And if you become sincere, you will automatically desire to do the things that please Him and avoid the things that displease Him. To get to that stage will of course TAKE TIME.

Know your priorities.

Hope this helps in some way.

It is pointless to watch other people's houses crumbling when our own house is in need of repair and attention.

chat Quote

Tyrion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

People here consider it haram, so those are the kinds of answers you're going to get from this forum. (Actually, that's not entirely true... I've noticed that there are a number of people here who also don't consider music haram, but they don't speak up. It's just the vocal members who are of the opinion that it's haram.) I personally don't, and there are scholars who hold different opinions. Your best bet would be to go and talk to some scholars (through email, or in person... whichever is possible for you) and try to get an explanation from them on the differing opinions. Also study it for yourself, and then you can probably make up your own mind. Don't obsess over it too much, especially as a new Muslim... There are far more important things to get down first, and especially with matters that have differences of opinion it's dangerous to get too obsessed...
    Last edited by Tyrion; 05-26-2011 at 01:17 AM.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings of peace

Also, I have heard from some sources that singing would be okay if I didn't make any suggestive movements or sing anything with lyrics that went against the word of Allah (s.w.t.), i.e. songs with sexually suggestive lyrics or songs that referenced anything that is haraam. Is this true? Is it possible for me to continue my musical education while still being a good Muslim? I really don't want to quit music, but likewise I want to revert to Islam!
    I agree with sister Flame

But being careful is a priority..Considering music as a career would require non-mahram listening to you..also

Anyways i would advice you to start of with the basics of Islaam and then slowly step by step things will make sense to you..If you feel you have doubt about whether music is permissable or not keep in mind a lot of is forbidden, like the instruments, though singing is not, but this does not mean we are enabled to become a professional singer, it means you can sing infront of your sisters, your family, husband etc.

Anyways, check this thread out insha'Allaah

The Prohibition of Music(Book) Download!

"Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyum (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists).".."[Al Qur'aan 3:2]
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

[QUOTE=Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм;1441965]
    Anyways i would advice you to start of with the basics of Islaam and then slowly step by step things will make sense to you..If you feel you have doubt about whether music is permissable or not keep in mind a lot of is forbidden, like the instruments, though singing is not, but this does not mean we are enabled to become a professional singer, it means you can sing infront of your sisters, your family, husband etc.

Anyways, check this thread out insha'Allaah[\quote]
    I looked at this link but although it supports (I think) than ban it gives no reason - is there a reason anywhere. Also why a ban on silk and is silk as bad as Music?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

[QUOTE=Impey;1441995]
    format_quote Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм View Post

Anyways, check this thread out insha'Allaah[\quote]
    I looked at this link but although it supports (I think) than ban it gives no reason - is there a reason anywhere. Also why a ban on silk and is silk as bad as Music?
    Assalaamu Alaaykum dear sis/bro

Did you read my previous post on this thread? Actually there are many reasons, some of them are those mentioned in my post, and a number of threads, and scholars, some even say singing is forbidden.

maybe this thread thread will help a little more insha'Allaah

http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...nal-story.html

I hope someone can enlighten you more on the topic, and please use the search bar more often..

I have a question now : D, for those who do listen to music, could you tell me would you give up the music for the sake of listening to the KalaamAllaah (Word of Allaah-Qur'aan)..please be truthful and also if you dont know, then try stopping music alltogether and start listening to the Qur'aan, am sure there you will recieve your answer..if you feel you cannot give up music for the sake of Qur'aan then ultimately that is a reason to give it up and a reasonably it makes it forbidden for you because it is taking you away from the remembrance of Allaah clearly...

Check this out hopefully you will understand a bit more on what im saying..

--->>> http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=31&tid=40607 <<<---

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thank you brothers and sisters, that is very helpful to me. I will give some thought to what you have said and make some adjustments before I take my shahadah. Peace be with you
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^No problem..may Allaah guide you to the best and increase you in knowledge regarding the deen Aameen

Also if i havent mentioned it anywhere, take things step by step and not by steps that will take you away, instead with sincerety and also focus on the basics also, step by step insha'Allaah things will become easy for you..

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Flame of Hope's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thank you brothers and sisters, that is very helpful to me. I will give some thought to what you have said and make some adjustments before I take my shahadah. Peace be with you
    Peace be with you too sis.....

I wonder if you have heard of Cat Stevens, the singer. He embraced Islam and changed his name to Yusuf Islam. He was asked the question whether he ever said that music was forbidden. Here is his reply to that question, which I think would help put your mind at ease and at peace......

-----------------------------

Didn’t He Say Music is Forbidden?

Never did I ever state that I believed music was objected to by God; or that I had given it up forever.

Interestingly, the word ‘music’ is not to be found anywhere in the Qur’an and there is no such word ever used by the Prophet in his authentic sayings. [1] However, there are many different opinions, and valid ones at that, about music which indicates that it is not to be taken as a hard and fast question of faith, but is simply a matter of fiqh (juristic interpretations regarding rules of life) – over which scholars may legitimately differ. [2]

When I embraced Islam on 23rd December, 1977, I was still making records. After informing the chief Imam at London’s Central Mosque of my work in music, he encouraged me to continue composing and recording.

Nevertheless, it didn’t take long to realise that apart from the creative side, there were many other aspects about the music industry which infringed negatively on the Islamic way of life so I simply decided to give up the music business. As a new Muslim this allowed me to concentrate fully on learning and practising Islam, getting married starting a family and returning back to look after my parents.

In the first interview I ever gave to a Muslim magazine back in 1980, I was asked about my thoughts on music, I said in reply:

“I have suspended my activities in music for fear that they may divert me from the true path, but I will not be dogmatic in saying that I will never make music again. You can’t say that without adding, ‘Insha Allah’ (if God Wishes).” [3]

There were many Muslims offering me advice and telling me their opinions about all sorts of issues, some where very convincing. Nevertheless, legitimate variant opinions exist on all sides dealing with the subject of music. When closely studying the details of Prophetic evidences, there are many which point to the possibility of wide-ranging conclusions. Now, after having studied the subject for more than a quarter of a century, I can say that it is certainly not as black and white as some have tried to make it out to be.

In Islam, as with religion and life generally, there always will be room for cultural and artistic expression. Some of the most beautiful works of art in human history have been lovingly dedicated in praise of the Divine. Their enjoyments are part of the gifts given to mankind by the Creator. As we read in the Qur’an itself:

“Say: Who has forbidden the beauteous (gifts) of God, which He has produced for His worshippers, and the pure and clean provisions? Say: They are, in the life of this world, for those who believe, and purely for them on the Day of Judgement. Thus do We explain the Signs in detail for those who understand.” [4]

Music is part of God’s universe. We need all sorts of nourishment and music fulfils and satisfies the hunger we all experience and the need for harmony and aesthetic beauty to decorate our daily lives, particularly when times are hard.

Sometimes songs are vital in keeping people’s spirits high in times of trial and hardship. This understanding was brought home to me when I listened to the inspiring cassettes coming out of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the early 1990’s after the onslaught of the genocide against Muslims; a turning point in my understanding of the need for music in certain conditions and times.

[1] There are some references to musical instruments in certain reported sayings, but the definition is not clear as to exactly what instruments the word, ‘ma’azif’ (the word quoted in the Hadith) refers to in the most authentic source, Al-Bukhari. It is well known that the Prophet (peace be upon him) allowed the drum and even the flute to be played in his presence without ordering them to be broken or destroyed, so it leaves a question open. The Hadith referenced here also mentions ‘silk’ as being amongst other prohibited articles, however, every scholar knows that silk is not completely forbidden and there are allowances for ladies to use it freely as well as for medical reasons; buying and selling silk and using certain amounts for ornament and decoration are also allowed.

[2] Fatwas are usually made and issued by scholars in cases like these where such issues are not clear cut and are ambiguous.

[3] The Muslim, May – June, 1980

[4] The Qur’an: The Heights (7), verse 32

--------------------------

source

It is pointless to watch other people's houses crumbling when our own house is in need of repair and attention.

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Advice Please-- Is Music Haraam? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Advice Please-- Is Music Haraam?