brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Question Are any of these considered gambling?

Report bad ads?

I am aware that Muslims should not gamble.

What about entering a contest in which one person will be drawn at random to receive a prize? I am specifically referring to contests where no entry fee is required. The person entering the contest gives nothing - the one holding the contest gives a prize of some sort to a random person.

Some scenarios:

• in America, we sometimes have "door prizes" at parties. Often they are funny gifts or things that the recipient may not want (humorous). Or sometimes they are treats, food, etc. Whoever comes to the party is entered and at some point, the host draws names and each name drawn receives one of the door prizes. Is this forbidden?
    • We also sometimes have giveaways at restaurants and other small businesses. A restaurant, for example, will say "come for dinner and enter to win a free dinner". So you fill out a form and the restaurant picks on person to receive a free dinner. They do this so that then they have your name to add to their mailing list.
    • Sometimes when you join an Internet forum, the forum will say "once a month we give away something to a member". The forum then draws the name and gives that person the gift. They do this to increase membership and draw new members.

I am curious if any of these are considered gambling. I realize in some sense the person is giving something to enter - his attendance/company, his name for a mailing list, his participation in a forum. But it's not clear to me if these are forbidden.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Riana17's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    La ilaha illa Allah
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Are any of these considered gambling?

SALAM Brother
    Black is black
    white is white

Gambling or Riba are related in my personal view
    When people are in Gambling or IN riba career then that is the HARRAM (forbidden)

that given example are clearly considered as HALAL
    there is product and the purpose behind all that is not to gain benefit unless they are asking additional money to pay (fee for registration form etc)

I do Point no. 2, if my dealers sell 17pcs of my products I would give away one of it and If my dealer sells more we give more to keep them as customer in long terms
    Last edited by Riana17; 06-15-2011 at 06:10 AM.
    Are any of these considered gambling?

The HIGHEST accomplishment I can achieve in this worldly life is to be a TRUE MUSLIM. (me)

wwwislamicboardcom - Are any of these considered gambling?
    chat Quote

ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Are any of these considered gambling?

There's no betting in those examples. So, those are not gambling.
    chat Quote

5. Hide
Hey there! Are any of these considered gambling? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Are any of these considered gambling?