Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Doubts?

Report bad ads?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here ever feels doubt when it comes to their religion. I have been studying Islam a lot lately. Usually it feel so right to me. But then sometimes I get this creeping feeling that takes away the joy I usually feel. It's doubt. Doubt that I'm wrong. I pray and ask for guidance but the doubt still comes back.
    Yesterday I was sitting outside and I held my palms up to the air and prayed and while I was doing this my palms got so much warmer then the rest of my body. At first, I thought it was God reaching down and touching my palms so I would know he was there for me. But then later I wondered if it was just coincidence, like the sun or something.
    I just need some guidance or suggestions from others. Does doubt ever happen to you?
    Thanks
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Salahudeen's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Doubts?

Of course, at one time or another we all experience doubt but I personally find reminding myself of the evidences that I have seen in life are enough for me to remove my doubt. Sometimes it's shaytaan whispering doubts in your ears so seek refuge with Allah also from the whispers of shaytaan and remember Allah. I can't remember where I heard it, but remembering Allah is like building a fortress around yourself from shaytaan.

inshallah someone else will give you good advice about this.
    Doubts?

“Who said that guidance requires there to be someone accompanying you"
    chat Quote

Who Am I?'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I too have doubts. The last few days especially I have been struggling with doubts. Did I do the right thing by taking shahada? How am I going to tell my family about my conversion to Islam? What are my friends going to think? How can I possibly learn all of this stuff? Will I ever get married?

Things like that come into my head sometimes even when I am praying. "You know Allah isn't really there. You know He doesn't care anything about you. He can't hear you. You might as well just give up now." Sometimes I feel lonely, like nobody cares.

Sometimes it's almost enough to get me to just give up completely. But I can't let Shaytan win now. Not after I've come this far. Not after everything I went through to get here.

Besides, I can't let you guys down either. Nothing like a little peer pressure, eh?
    chat Quote

sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think everybody has doubts sometimes, just same have you been muslim 1 day or all your life. They might be whispers of shaytan or comes from confusing when you don´t understand something or when it just feels that your life is not going like you have wanted.
    Doubts?

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Trumble's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Doubts are good from time to time. Seriously, they make you think about your religion and in addressing those doubts you obtain a far deeper understanding and appreciation of it than you would have otherwise.
    chat Quote

IAmZamzam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's easy to confuse doubt with disbelief, and so long as you're careful not to make said confusion I think you should be all right. If there's anything else then feel free to tell me about it, that's why I'm here. Literally, I guess.
    Doubts?

Peace be to any prophets I may have mentioned above. Praised and exalted be my Maker, if I have mentioned Him. (Come to think of it praise Him anyway.)
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam,

Yes, I had doubts about Islam, but not anymore.
    Doubts?

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

Starrynight's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy View Post
    I too have doubts. The last few days especially I have been struggling with doubts. Did I do the right thing by taking shahada? How am I going to tell my family about my conversion to Islam? What are my friends going to think? How can I possibly learn all of this stuff? Will I ever get married?

Things like that come into my head sometimes even when I am praying. "You know Allah isn't really there. You know He doesn't care anything about you. He can't hear you. You might as well just give up now." Sometimes I feel lonely, like nobody cares.

Sometimes it's almost enough to get me to just give up completely. But I can't let Shaytan win now. Not after I've come this far. Not after everything I went through to get here.

Besides, I can't let you guys down either. Nothing like a little peer pressure, eh?
    I think some of the doubts you have are the same as what I have. I guess I'm worried God isn't really there or religion is simply man-made, ect. I was pretty much raised thinking that way. Sometimes I feel foolish when I talk about God, even to my boyfriend who is Muslim. I just don't know how to get over this or through it. I feel so strongly that Islam is right for me 90% of the time, but there is still those times in the day where I'm not sure.
    Thank you all for the responses so far. Makes me feel less alone.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman View Post
    It's easy to confuse doubt with disbelief, and so long as you're careful not to make said confusion I think you should be all right. If there's anything else then feel free to tell me about it, that's why I'm here. Literally, I guess.
    Thank you! And I saw your privet message but I don' have enough posts yet to reply
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There's always going to be times of day when you're not sure of anything, regardless of what it is you believe. That's just emotions--chemicals at work. Watch something funny. Eat something tasty. Fight fire with fire.
    Doubts?

Peace be to any prophets I may have mentioned above. Praised and exalted be my Maker, if I have mentioned Him. (Come to think of it praise Him anyway.)
    chat Quote

Perseveranze's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Trying to find that Hadith where the Prophet(pbuh) actually said something about having doubts. I can't find it now, anyone know which one i'm talking about?

But yes, everyone has doubts. It's apart of the test, you can't just say "i believe" and let that be the end of it. As humans you'll ponder about things and in the process of it all, have a far more deeper understanding of your faith. I am sure even Athiests have "doubts" like everyone else does.

What's most important is to clear your doubts though, it is never good to let those doubts linger at the back of your head.
    Doubts?

A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

How do you clear doubts away? with research?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze View Post
    I am sure even Athiests have "doubts" like everyone else does.
    Sure they do. But don't ever try to get them to admit it.

format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight
    How do you clear doubts away? with research?
    A little knowledge won't go awry, yes, but be very careful about the accuracy of your sources.

Doubt is an emotional problem masquerading as an intellectual one. More of a mood than anything, really. If you have some specific issue that's bothering you, well, you are on an Islamic forum. We're here. We're listening. But probably the best advice I could give you is to distract yourself with a more positive emotion until the mood goes away. If it still lingers after a while then perhaps it's more of an intellectual issue, in which case you should just state it clearly here. (If you can't articulate it clearly then it's almost definitely just a mood.)
    Doubts?

chat Quote

IslamicRevival's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Having doubts is a good thing, it only makes one stronger in faith
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Who Am I?'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well I have my issues that I am dealing with right now, and I study and pray every day. I try to learn one new thing about Islam per day and take it from there.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes, maybe you are right about the mood thing. Earlier today I was walking to meet my friends and I looked at the beautiful clouds and thought that God must be real.
    I've been flying through books on Islam and some are better then others. But the best ones really help me feel more solid in the faith.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There's only so much that you can learn from books. Which I don't say to discourage the practice!

Have you tried visiting a mosque?
    Doubts?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The only mosque is a ways away. I might be able to go by on a Saturday, but I'm not sure how it works, when it is open etc.
    chat Quote

sabr*'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Lightbulb Have no doubts!

As Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Al-Hijr (The Rocky Tract) 15:9
    إِنَّا نَحْنُ نَزَّلْنَا الذِّكْرَ وَإِنَّا لَهُ لَحَافِظُونَ (15:9)

Inna nahnu nazzalna alththikra wainna lahu lahafithoona

15:9 (Y. Ali) We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).

Many Prophet expressed doubt but were comforted with the teachings and message

As-Sajdah (The Prostration) 32:23
    وَلَقَدْ آتَيْنَا مُوسَى الْكِتَابَ فَلَا تَكُن فِي مِرْيَةٍ مِّن لِّقَائِهِ وَجَعَلْنَاهُ هُدًى لِّبَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ (32:23)

Walaqad atayna moosa alkitaba fala takun fee miryatin min liqaihi wajaAAalnahu hudan libanee israeela

32:23 (Y. Ali) We did indeed aforetime give the Book to Moses: be not then in doubt of its reaching (thee): and We made it a guide to the Children of Israel.

Allah ta' ala addresses the doubt of man in numerous verses (ayah) in the Quran.

The human being has the ability to doubt. The doubt is erased with the increase in faith.

When anyone begins to doubt what they claim to believe, the primary reason is a lack
    of knowledge of what they claim to embrace. GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND BEGIN STUDYING!

This forum is full of I THINK scholars. Get off the computer and learn the basic fundamentals
    that will equip you with the necessary nourishment to sustain you.

Spending hours online will only hinder your development and enhancement in this din (Way of Life)

Starting threads, posting, receiving and giving reputation points will not increase your Taqwa (Allah conscience) and Iman (Faith, Conviction). When you are a new revert or convert to Islam the time
    you dedicate to studying is very important. How you study and commit can only be solved by you.

What type of Muslim are you committed to be ?

a. A lazy, lackluster and lethargic Muslim
    b.
    A committed, strong and faithful Muslim.

It is your choice to commit and throw doubt away and exchange it for being faithful and committed.

That can only be achieved with the blessing of Allah and with effort and action. (STUDYING)

We continue to counsel the reverts and request you spend time offline studying. Your local Masjid is the primary source you need to seek the brotherhood and sisterhood.

Don't become the online Muslim (All post and no action).

Be the practicing Muslim that is an essential part of the Muslim community in your locale.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Shaitan is the source of all negative doubt:

Al-A'raf (The Heights) 7:21
    وَقَاسَمَهُمَا إِنِّي لَكُمَا لَمِنَ النَّاصِحِينَ (7:21)
    Waqasamahuma innee lakuma lamina alnnasiheena

7:21 (Y. Ali) And he swore to them both, that he was their sincere adviser.

Perform supplication (du'a) for guidance and strength from Allah:

Al-Baqara (The Cow) 2:186
    وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُواْ لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُواْ بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ (2:186)
    Waitha saalaka AAibadee AAannee fainnee qareebun ojeebu daAAwata alddaAAi itha daAAani falyastajeeboo lee walyuminoo bee laAAallahum yarshudoona

2:186 (Y. Ali) When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    This post was submitted with the best intentions and the best construction should be used when
    reading it.
    Last edited by sabr*; 06-17-2011 at 07:22 AM.
    Doubts?

Lā ilāha illā-llāhu waḥdahu lā sharīka lahu lahu-l-mulku
    Wa lahu-l-hamdu yuḥyi Wa yumītu Wa huwa ḥayyu-llā yamūtu abadan abada
    ḏū-l-jalāli wa-l-ikrām, biyadihi-l-khayr
    wa huwa ‘alā kulli Shay’in qadīr.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    sabr*'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Lightbulb Nothing good about negative Doubts!

As Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

be careful about providing your opinion especially when it isn't based upon Islam.

We need to separate our opinions that clearly are contrary to Islam.

Al-Isra (The Journey by Night) 17:36

وَلاَ تَقْفُ مَا لَيْسَ لَكَ بِهِ عِلْمٌ إِنَّ السَّمْعَ وَالْبَصَرَ وَالْفُؤَادَ كُلُّ أُولـئِكَ كَانَ عَنْهُ مَسْؤُولاً (17:36)

Wala taqfu ma laysa laka bihi AAilmun inna alssamAAa waalbasara waalfuada kullu olaika kana AAanhu masoolan

17:36 (Y. Ali) And pursue not that of which thou hast no knowledge; for every act of hearing, or of seeing or of (feeling in) the heart will be enquired into (on the Day of Reckoning).

The effects Of Waswasa: (Negative thoughts and doubts) are many.

Action and thought are two aspects of Waswasa.

Protect yourself by Dhikr (remembrance) of Allah and reading the Quran daily.

There is no room for conjecture in Islam. The principals of Islam are already established and we
    only need to apply them.

Yunus (Jonah) 10:36

وَمَا يَتَّبِعُ أَكْثَرُهُمْ إِلاَّ ظَنًّا إَنَّ الظَّنَّ لاَ يُغْنِي مِنَ الْحَقِّ شَيْئًا إِنَّ اللّهَ عَلَيمٌ بِمَا يَفْعَلُونَ (10:36)

Wama yattabiAAu aktharuhum illa thannan inna alththanna la yughnee mina alhaqqi shayan inna Allaha AAaleemun bima yafAAaloona

10:36 (Picktall) Most of them follow naught but conjecture. Assuredly conjecture can by no means take the place of truth. Lo! Allah is Aware of what they do.
    Doubts?

Lā ilāha illā-llāhu waḥdahu lā sharīka lahu lahu-l-mulku
    Wa lahu-l-hamdu yuḥyi Wa yumītu Wa huwa ḥayyu-llā yamūtu abadan abada
    ḏū-l-jalāli wa-l-ikrām, biyadihi-l-khayr
    wa huwa ‘alā kulli Shay’in qadīr.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Doubts? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Doubts?