× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 36 visibility 5271

Why fast?

Flame of Hope's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Why fast?

Report bad ads?

Why should I fast? What's in it for me?

Convince me that it's worth doing.
    Why fast?

It is pointless to watch other people's houses crumbling when our own house is in need of repair and attention.

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Riana17's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    La ilaha illa Allah
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Why fast?

Salam Sis
    I know I dont have to convince you

To make sure inside me that I am believer and not hypocrite, for Fasting is between me and God alone
    To earn more discipline, good speech, control emotion, good manners
    To increase my Imaan/devotion
    To know the feelings of hangry and poor and have mercy on them, increase charity inshallah
    Gain health benefits & more

I'm excited for my 2nd year of Ramadan, May Allah be pleased with us all
    Why fast?

The HIGHEST accomplishment I can achieve in this worldly life is to be a TRUE MUSLIM. (me)

wwwislamicboardcom - Why fast?
    chat Quote

Al-Mufarridun's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17 View Post
    Salam Sis
    I know I dont have to convince you

To make sure inside me that I am believer and not hypocrite, for Fasting is between me and God alone
    To know the feelings of hangry and poor and have mercy on them, increase charity inshallah

I'm excited for my 2nd year of Ramadan, May Allah be pleased with us all
    beautifully said sis! Jazakallah Khair!
    chat Quote

Who Am I?'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Because the Prophet (pbuh) said that a man who cannot marry should fast. I'm not getting married anytime soon, so I will fast.

Plus I want to get ready for Ramadhan.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Just_A_Girl13's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam sister Flame,

I think that sister Riana put it excellently. I used to fast frequently with my church and I think it is a beautiful way to become closer to Allah (s.w.t.) I plan to begin fasting regularly once I get used to this new way of life, i.e. completing all my prayers on time and finding food that is halal to eat. Right now I am taking it one step at a time, but by Ramadan I hope to have accomplished a great deal, inshallah.

Peace and blessings be with you all
    chat Quote

Salahudeen's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Fasting is purification for your soul, when you fast it is easier to control your faculties from carrying out bad deeds, you are in more control of yourself, and you also feel closer to Allah and very spiritual. The spiritual feeling that comes about from fasting is amazing.
    Why fast?

“Who said that guidance requires there to be someone accompanying you"
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That's interesting. But I fail to see the benefits when:

1. I feel so weak.

2. Get angry and irritable easily.

3. Not able to think straight.

4. Not able to focus on salat and dhikr as well as I'm able to do when I'm not fasting.

5. Not able to engage in strenuous tasks and duties.... and if I do, I can't do them as proficiently.

So I need more convincing.
    Why fast?

It is pointless to watch other people's houses crumbling when our own house is in need of repair and attention.

chat Quote

Just_A_Girl13's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    1. I feel so weak. 2. Get angry and irritable easily. 3. Not able to think straight. 4. Not able to focus on salat and dhikr as well as I'm able to do when I'm not fasting. 5. Not able to engage in strenuous tasks and duties.... and if I do, I can't do them as proficiently.
    Every night before you break your fast you make lots of duaa that Allah (s.w.t.) will make it easy for you to continue fasting the next day. Take it one day at a time.

Or at least, that's what I would do. That's what I plan to do.

Peace
    chat Quote

Predator's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy View Post
    Because the Prophet (pbuh) said that a man who cannot marry should fast. I'm not getting married anytime soon, so I will fast.

So are you actually fasting every single day of the year ?
    Why fast?

When truth is hurled at falsehood , falsehood perishes. because falsehood by its nature is bound to perish [21:18- Holy quran]
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    La ilaha illa Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That's interesting. But I fail to see the benefits when:

1. I feel so weak.

2. Get angry and irritable easily.

3. Not able to think straight.

4. Not able to focus on salat and dhikr as well as I'm able to do when I'm not fasting.

5. Not able to engage in strenuous tasks and duties.... and if I do, I can't do them as proficiently.

So I need more convincing.

Salam,
    you are very clever indeed

Well i have a simple answer to that, i will do what it takes just to overcome the fasting

If i dont fast I dont think I can consider myself a Muslim
    Just like if i ignore the prayer, and consistently miss the prayer without valid reason, that doesnt makes me a Muslim,,, oooh no i dont like that, if it is safe for me to fast and it wont risk my health, there is no reason not to

being weak, being irritable sometimes is part of fasting, however with the right way to fast, i think those will improve

ON TOP of all, I have to remmber the intention behind fasting.Allah said prayer and doing charity & all is for myself, but FASTING is the ONLY THING WE DO FOR ALLAH

ISNT THAT ENOUGH WHY I DONT HAVE TO BE EXCITED WHENEVER RAMADAN COMES AND FASTTT

YA RAAAAABBBB insha Allah
    Last edited by Riana17; 06-17-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    Why fast?

The HIGHEST accomplishment I can achieve in this worldly life is to be a TRUE MUSLIM. (me)

chat Quote

Alpha Dude's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Cold of heart
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Fasting during Ramadhan is compulsory. A muslim ought to do it to avoid sin at the very least.

Fasting at other times is optional. A muslim may wish to do it in order to gain reward.

The balance of deeds is what will be looked at on the day of judgement.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    La ilaha illa Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i have to say Ms Flame is really clever, if she is beside my house, i would bother her everyday until she agrees to be my bestfriend... Nyahaha
    Why fast?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If i dont fast I dont think I can consider myself a Muslim
    I'm Muslim, uh.... I think. Just a Muslim not entirely convinced about fasting.

Now, I'm not talking about Ramadan fasting. I'm talking about voluntary fasting... the one you do on Mondays and Thursdays..... why should I engage in those sort of fasts? That isn't obligatory on us.... so why do them?
    Why fast?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13 View Post
    Every night before you break your fast you make lots of duaa that Allah (s.w.t.) will make it easy for you to continue fasting the next day. Take it one day at a time.

Or at least, that's what I would do. That's what I plan to do.
    Jazakallah khair sister for your suggestion. Making lots and lots of duaa is good. But in the end, if I don't get WHY I should be doing something, I ain't gonna want to do it.

So perhaps I could make duaa to Allah to grant me understanding about the WHY. Or..... I could do the smarter thing:

Ask the most intelligent and wise folk of IB forum to convince me beyond shadow of doubt that fasting is definitely worth doing.
    Why fast?

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    La ilaha illa Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Now, I'm not talking about Ramadan fasting. I'm talking about voluntary fasting... the one you do on Mondays and Thursdays..... why should I engage in those sort of fasts? That isn't obligatory on us.... so why do them?
    Salam sis, ff will answer your Q

Prophet Mohd (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) also said, “It is the month (i.e Sha’baan) in which people’s deeds are taken up to the Lord of the Worlds, and I would like my deeds to be taken up whilst I am fasting"
    Also He said:
    Deeds of people are presented (to Allah) on Mondays and Thursdays. So I like that my actions be presented while I am fasting

Some of the Scholars (may Allah have mercy upon them) have concluded after mentioning the above ahadith and many others that daily deeds are raised and presented to Allah daily (as per the Hadith in Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim), the weekly deeds are raised and presented to Allah on Mondays and Thursdays (as per the above mentioned Hadith) and the yearly deeds are raised and presented to Allah during the month of Sha’baan (as per the main Hadith in discussion)
    Why fast?

chat Quote

Al-Mufarridun's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

are you serious sis? i thought you were making a point!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    La ilaha illa Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam sis, ff will answer your Q

Prophet Mohd (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) also said, “It is the month (i.e Sha’baan) in which people’s deeds are taken up to the Lord of the Worlds, and I would like my deeds to be taken up whilst I am fasting"
    Also He said:
    Deeds of people are presented (to Allah) on Mondays and Thursdays. So I like that my actions be presented while I am fasting

Some of the Scholars (may Allah have mercy upon them) have concluded after mentioning the above ahadith and many others that daily deeds are raised and presented to Allah daily (as per the Hadith in Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim), the weekly deeds are raised and presented to Allah on Mondays and Thursdays (as per the above mentioned Hadith) and the yearly deeds are raised and presented to Allah during the month of Sha’baan (as per the main Hadith in discussion)

Allah knows best
    Why fast?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    La ilaha illa Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Jazakallah khair sister for your suggestion. Making lots and lots of duaa is good. But in the end, if I don't get WHY I should be doing something, I ain't gonna want to do it.

So perhaps I could make duaa to Allah to grant me understanding about the WHY. Or..... I could do the smarter thing:

Ask the most intelligent and wise folk of IB forum to convince me beyond shadow of doubt that fasting is definitely worth doing.
    Salam sis

I dont consider myself wise

But isnt it enough reason that there is only one thing we can do for Allah and that is fasting?
    If that's not enough reason, then i dont know what else can convince you

LOOL
    i KNOW u are good Muslim for like 15years now (guessing) .. so u know very well what fasting is all about but its good to refresh our minds
    Why fast?

chat Quote

Alpha Dude's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Cold of heart
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sister, the matter is really simple:

1. Each optional/additional act of worship that we do, draws us nearer to Allah and earns us reward.
    2. Fasting outside of ramdhan is optional.

Hence:
    3. Fasting outside of ramdhan draws us closer to Allah and earns us reward.

Nothing more needs to be said. If a person wishes to draw closer to Allah and gain extra reward, then he'd do it. If not, he's loss.

Fasting making a person tired etc is part of the test of the fast. If you can show patience during it, you'd be rewarded for it.

See bold bit below:

“My slave does not draw near to Me with anything more beloved to Me than the religious duties I have enjoined upon him, and My slave continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I will love him, When I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, he seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it.” (al-Bukhaari, 6502).
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude View Post
    My slave continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I will love him
    Yes..... but I can draw nearer to Allah by praying or other voluntary act of worship.

Instead of fasting, I can do the salat, engage in dhikr Allah and be on jihad is search of knowledge.
    Why fast?

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Why fast? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Why fast?