star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Muslims from Western countries

Report bad ads?

Hey, I just thought I'd create a thread for Muslims like myself from Western countries because sometimes I think we can face certain types of issues. For example, since it is harder to find Muslims in some of our communities for reverts it can feel rather lonely.
    I thought it would be good if we have a thread where we can talk about issues we face based on our culture and show some support for one another.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." --Martin Luther King Jr.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Who Am I?'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Muslims from Western countries

Well for me, my big struggles are alcohol and women. You know as well as I do that our society is sex-crazed, and it's hard for me not to look at all the women I see every day that don't wear many clothes. Especially as a single new brother, this is a real struggle for me. I get lonely sometimes and I really have to fight temptations.

Here it is 4th of July weekend and I am trying not to drink. Lovely...
    chat Quote

Starrynight's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Aw hang in there King Of Knight. I can't offer advice really on the women thing, especially since you've said before you're not ready for that. But as far as drinking, sparkling cider is yummy
    Really though, alcohol never did anything good for anyone so you are so much better off without it.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." --Martin Luther King Jr.
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam,

The main potential problem I will be facing is praying on time. If I'm at work, I'm not sure if the employer would allow me to pray. This is something I'm worried about when I look for jobs.

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hm... could you just use it as a bathroom break?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ Salaam,

Yes but Friday prayers could be a problem for some employers.

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

Tyrion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think one of the many unique issues that Western Muslims face is prejudice from other Muslims who aren't from the west, and also the sad reality that many of our religious authorities are not familiar with the west, it's culture/laws, or the problems we face.

However, it's important to realize that as Muslims in the west we do have some benefits or even advantages. For one, because of our diversity we have a greater of chance of learning a form of Islam that is less burdened by a particular culture. Also, certain western values (one example could be that acceptance of diversity I mentioned, which might not be followed by some in the west, but is still alive in our culture/ways of thinking) help us in bettering ourselves because they mirror qualities that are already praised in the Quran and Sunnah. Other countries (even Muslim countries) have their own negative baggage that we are saved from... So yeah, there are two sides of the coin there.

format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow View Post
    You could try and time your lunch break to coincide with prayer time on fridays. That's what my dad does.

format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines View Post
    Here it is 4th of July weekend and I am trying not to drink. Lovely...
    Buy a PS3 or an Xbox, then get Call of Duty: Black Ops. Should keep your mind off drinking...
    Last edited by Tyrion; 07-02-2011 at 07:42 PM.
    chat Quote

May Ayob's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines View Post
    Well for me, my big struggles are alcohol and women. You know as well as I do that our society is sex-crazed, and it's hard for me not to look at all the women I see every day that don't wear many clothes. Especially as a single new brother, this is a real struggle for me. I get lonely sometimes and I really have to fight temptations. Here it is 4th of July weekend and I am trying not to drink
    Salaam
    Have you tried fasting? I know it's hard esp the fact that you live in such a society..How about getting married? I am sure there will be some one good tin you community .. Just try asking help from the Mosque you go to..
    Keep your self in company as the Shaytan may trick you or have a more affect when you are alone..
    I wish there's a better advice i can give But Hold on a little longer , be a bit more Patient Insha'Allah all your problems will leave and God will replace you with better things..

Salaam
    Last edited by May Ayob; 07-02-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: I misunderstood the thread's purpose

chat Quote

Tyrion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob View Post
    I am not sure but I think we shouldn't be making seperations between Muslims whether you are a born one or a revert , I think we shouldn't be judging that this person is a born they probably have it easier and start comparing and things like that.. I think anyone regardless of their reilgious background whether they are born Muslims or not they will be facing hardships from every aspect.

I recognize how difficult it would be for all reverts as sometime they face rejection from their families and loved ones and sadly from their fellow Muslim brothers and sisters as well, It's a hard thing I think every one can agree to that but Insha'Allah with Patience and Perservere It would be a great outcome that will make us more grateful .
    But nothing in this thread is about reverts and born Muslims... It's about Muslims who happen to be from the west. I'm not a revert, and I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that Guestfellow isn't either. We're just talking about western issues for Muslims who live there...
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    May Ayob's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    But nothing in this thread is about reverts and born Muslims... It's about Muslims who happen to be from the west. I'm not a revert, and I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that Guestfellow isn't either. We're just talking about western issues for Muslims who live there...

Oops Then My bad, It seems that I am a very stupid person, Please pardon me ..I think I have to edit my post.

Salaam

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight View Post
    Aw hang in there King Of Knight. I can't offer advice really on the women thing, especially since you've said before you're not ready for that. But as far as drinking, sparkling cider is yummy Really though, alcohol never did anything good for anyone so you are so much better off without it.
    I know, sis. I was just complaining about being surrounded by temptation. I have some issues that I would rather deal with before I get married, and everyone here knows about that. I won't keep repeating myself.

Buy a PS3 or an Xbox, then get Call of Duty: Black Ops. Should keep your mind off drinking...
    Well I have an Xbox with PES2011, and Dungeon Siege 3 to occupy my time. I think I'll be OK.

You could try and time your lunch break to coincide with prayer time on fridays. That's what my dad does.
    I do the same. Either go on lunch, go to prayers, and then back to work, or I work extra hours during the week and just leave early on Friday.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes, I was born as a Muslim.

There are not many problems I face living in a western country but sometimes I fear that the government and the public may become more hostile towards Muslims. At the moment there have been tensions between Muslim and non-Muslim communities but I think they are based on ethnic and cultural differences rather than religion.

chat Quote

Salahudeen's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes, I was born as a Muslim.

There are not many problems I face living in a western country but sometimes I fear that the government and the public may become more hostile towards Muslims. At the moment there have been tensions between Muslim and non-Muslim communities but I think they are based on ethnic and cultural differences rather than religion.
    I sometimes have nightmares of a what happened to the Jews living in Germany happening to the Muslims living in the west.

“Who said that guidance requires there to be someone accompanying you"
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ Salaam,

You must not disclose any bad dreams you have.

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Dagless's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Getting a Wimpy...
    in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight View Post
    Hm... could you just use it as a bathroom break?
    What if he then needs to use the bathroom

^ Salaam,

Why do you need to tell them? Just go at lunch? Or you could pray at work with a small group of brothers.
    Last edited by Dagless; 07-03-2011 at 12:55 AM.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
    Why do you need to tell them? Just go at lunch? Or you could pray at work with a small group of brother.
    Salaam,

Okay. =)

chat Quote

إحسان's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

My sister unfortunately faces a handful of sly ignorant comments from her team leader once in awhie. Pathetic really.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yeah, I only meant any Muslim (whether born or reverted) in Western countries. All of us in the Islamic world wide community face some of the same hardships, but certain hardships are different depending on where you live.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by *dua View Post
    My sister unfortunately faces a handful of sly ignorant comments from her team leader once in awhie. Pathetic really.
    That is really lame!

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

One of my friends is narrow-minded and ignorant of such things and I try to correct him whenever I can.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Muslims from Western countries Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Muslims from Western countries