× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 9 of 9 visibility 2896

Flying Silver Carp on Wabash River in Indiana.

Endymion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Spring and Roses.
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Really interesting.

أَسْلَمْتُ لِرَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ

400W91 1 - Flying Silver Carp on Wabash River in Indiana.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Alpha Dude's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Cold of heart
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Flying Silver Carp on Wabash River in Indiana.

What's that about? Did they put something in the water to kill them off?
    chat Quote

sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Strange fish...

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

the asian carp fish do fly out of water when they perceive danger, and the sound and wave movement created by the speedboat scare the fish.
    The asian carp is now serious problem, they were first imported live by asian restaurants to meet the demand of asian communities, but apparently some escaped into the waterway system. They are almost reaching the great lakes which will cause great natural disaster because they will compete with native fish of the great lakes. They taste pretty tasty actually.
    I got this info from watching too much natgeo and discovery :
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Who Am I?'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan View Post
    the asian carp fish do fly out of water when they perceive danger, and the sound and wave movement created by the speedboat scare the fish.
    The asian carp is now serious problem, they were first imported live by asian restaurants to meet the demand of asian communities, but apparently some escaped into the waterway system. They are almost reaching the great lakes which will cause great natural disaster because they will compete with native fish of the great lakes. They taste pretty tasty actually.
    I got this info from watching too much natgeo and discovery :
    I think I've seen that same program or something similar. This one was talking about the Chinese cathead fish that is spreading across North American rivers and lakes after being introduced.

Once again, we see the disaster of introducing a non-native species to an environment that was not its own. When will we ever learn?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

double post.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines View Post
    I think I've seen that same program or something similar. This one was talking about the Chinese cathead fish that is spreading across North American rivers and lakes after being introduced.
    I've seen that program too, I think it's called Fishzilla (a snakehead fish), fish from hell. Ity was also imported from asia, but found their way into US waterway system and is now becoming huge problem.
    I can attest from pretty close and first hand (pun no intended) nasty experience that it is indeed fish from hell.
    My uncle who collects exotic animals have four in his pond. One day I was sitting next to it with my flailing hand over the water, and the fishzilla jumped out and bit my hand, I got nasty wound and my hand was bleeding everywhere. At first they were kept in a big aquarium on the second floor, but one jumped out, flew over big window, and landed on the ground below, and NOT DEAD. They are literally devil fish. I'm not exaggerating.
    They don't like eating dead meat, so they need to be fed live fish, and preferably catfish (yes, catfish is their favorite snacks) and I've seen them eating it alive ferociously, till all flesh is gone except for the head. Apparently they don't find fish head tasty.
    The four fishzilla one day became three, because my cousins forgot to feed them live catfish for a couple of weeks, and when they got hungry, they attacked the smallest one among them and cannibalized their sibling.

Here's how they look like:

918393snakehead 1 - Flying Silver Carp on Wabash River in Indiana.

Last edited by Ramadhan; 07-06-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    chat Quote

Trumble's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines View Post

Once again, we see the disaster of introducing a non-native species to an environment that was not its own. When will we ever learn?
    Seemingly never. I know the carp are a huge problem in Australia as well. I used to fish when I was younger (I no longer do for ethical and religious reasons), but it struck me as hugely ironic that while big carp were immensely valuable here and you were always required to return them, in Aus it was actually illegal to return them. For some reason, though, aalthough many carp were imported here and many escaped into the rivers they never managed to dominate native species as they have in some other countries. Catfish, though, are a huge problem now, being predators and much more efficient than native Pike and Perch.
    chat Quote

Who Am I?'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan View Post
    I've seen that program too, I think it's called Fishzilla (a snakehead fish), fish from hell. Ity was also imported from asia, but found their way into US waterway system and is now becoming huge problem. I can attest from pretty close and first hand (pun no intended) nasty experience that it is indeed fish from hell. My uncle who collects exotic animals have four in his pond. One day I was sitting next to it with my flailing hand over the water, and the fishzilla jumped out and bit my hand, I got nasty wound and my hand was bleeding everywhere. At first they were kept in a big aquarium on the second floor, but one jumped out, flew over big window, and landed on the ground below, and NOT DEAD. They are literally devil fish. I'm not exaggerating. They don't like eating dead meat, so they need to be fed live fish, and preferably catfish (yes, catfish is their favorite snacks) and I've seen them eating it alive ferociously, till all flesh is gone except for the head. Apparently they don't find fish head tasty. The four fishzilla one day became three, because my cousins forgot to feed them live catfish for a couple of weeks, and when they got hungry, they attacked the smallest one among them and cannibalized their sibling.

Yeah, that's the one. Snakehead is what I wanted to say, not cathead. Those things are NASTY. Worse than piranhas.

format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble View Post
    Seemingly never. I know the carp are a huge problem in Australia as well. I used to fish when I was younger (I no longer do for ethical and religious reasons), but it struck me as hugely ironic that while big carp were immensely valuable here and you were always required to return them, in Aus it was actually illegal to return them. For some reason, though, aalthough many carp were imported here and many escaped into the rivers they never managed to dominate native species as they have in some other countries. Catfish, though, are a huge problem now, being predators and much more efficient than native Pike and Perch.

There are countless examples of what harm introduced species can do to native environments. Just in Australia alone, I can think of several. Rabbits, cane toads, and feral pigs being three of the worst offenders there that were brought there and later released or escaped into the wild. I'm not a tree hugger by any means, but it does sadden me to think that some animal and plant species are extinct now because of our carelessness in monitoring the environment, and their losses could have been prevented.
    chat Quote

12. Hide
Hey there! Flying Silver Carp on Wabash River in Indiana. Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Flying Silver Carp on Wabash River in Indiana.