× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 25 visibility 4615

Question about music

Masuma's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    kutsalgizemler.com
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Question Question about music

Report bad ads?

Asalamu alikum wr wb!
    Brothers and sisters please help! Can one hear those songs which are modest, not having vulgar lyrics, songs with purpose bringing out a social or religious issue in light or just highlighting something specific which isn't haram? Is it permissible? I know nasheeds are better substitue from islamic point of view but many are not as much of a good quality (from the listening point of view) as the songs are.

There is music in songs but how do the tunes and melody harm us? sound is basically changes in air pressure percieved as "sound" by ear, or is it something more than that? I mean from the scientific point of view if any bro or sistah can help in this regard too? ^_^

And back to the first question, can one then hear songs with purpose and good lyrics? If like your prayers aren't getting missed and you do zikr too :/ and are religious as well. So any replies people?

Jazakumullahu khairan!

2. Report bad ads?
    sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Question about music

Salam alaykum

to me music is halal but here is different ideas about it.

Some tell all music is wrong, some just drums is ok, some only drums made by animal skin is ok, some just human voice is ok, some all accept some word,s too some doesn´t.

All of them have scholars for they opinion...

| Likes Innocent Soul, Masuma, Abz2000 liked this post
    Question about music

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

brightness_1
    kutsalgizemler.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Jazakumullahu khairan sister harb! sistah i know it gets more and more "technical" when you start talking about which kinda instruments allowed or not and what genre of music etc. It also gets very complicated for me when i read posts allowing certain type of instruments to be used at certain times (i've read Al Gazali's book on this issue too. on of the best) but i need help as much as i can get!

So?

brightness_1
    kutsalgizemler.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

yeah one thing i do agree with. one should try avoiding listening to music more often because it settles in mind and the lyrics and melody keeps reverberating and ecohing in the mind. sometimes people even start singing those lyrics unintentionally. So thats there but what about the real question?

I saw many threads related to music when i was haunting the forum as an invisible spirit few months back but now the threads are burried somewhere in the flood of them and m really lazy as to go searching for them . So anybody who just wanna leave the link to those threads is most welcome too.

I brought up this topic because i was thinking that can one hear music when they are feeling low? kinda cheers you up, know what i mean?

6. Report bad ads?
    islamica's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

wa'alaikuma s'salaam,

There are those who say it's allowed and some of them go fatwa hunting to support their desires. But Major and majority scholars agree on music being haram and a tool of the shaytan.

Shaytan says:

"Surely I will sit in wait against them on Your Straight Path. Then I will come to them from before them and behind them, from their right and from their left, and You will not find most of them as being grateful ones (i.e., they will not be dutiful to You)." [Soorah al-A'raaf 7:16-17]

In an hadith, shaytan also says "I will use musical instruments as my tools to stir the hearts and lead the sons of Adam astray."

Allah says:

"But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allaah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a humiliating Penalty. When Our Signs are rehearsed to such a one, he turns away in arrogance, as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in both his ears: announce to him a grievous Penalty." ( Luqmaan: 6-7).

Ibn Mas`ood said: "I swear by Allaah that these "idle tales" are nothing but songs." He repeated it thrice. Ibn `Umar and Ibn `Abbaas, may Allaah be pleased with them, said the very same thing. These Companions were living when the Qur'aan was revealed and hence they are among the most versed in interpreting the words of Allaah. They interpreted these "idle tales" as songs.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

This hadeeth indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit” which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol: if they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things? (adapted from al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 1/140-141)

Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Song makes hypocrisy grow in the heart as water does herbage” (Sunan al-Bayhaqi).

An appropriate exception

The exception to the above is the daff – without any rings (i.e., a hand-drum which looks like a tambourine, but without any rattles) – when used by women on Eids and at weddings. This is indicated by saheeh reports. Shaykh al-Islam (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: But the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made allowances for certain types of musical instruments at weddings and the like, and he made allowances for women to play the daff at weddings and on other joyful occasions. But the men at his time did not play the daff or clap with their hands. It was narrated in al-Saheeh that he said: “Clapping is for women and tasbeeh (saying Subhaan Allaah) is for men.” And he cursed women who imitate men and men who imitate women. Because singing and playing the daff are things that women do, the Salaf used to call any man who did that a mukhannath (effeminate man), and they used to call male singers effeminate – and how many of them there are nowadays! It is well known that the Salaf said this.

Ruling on Music, Singing, Dancing - http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/5000

When is it permissible to beat the daff? - http://islamqa.com/en/ref/20406

The ruling on Islamic nasheeds - http://islamqa.com/en/ref/11563

Don't Listen To Sami Yusuf - http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=QcY7AXW4YJs
    | Likes Masuma, Insaanah liked this post

Innocent Soul's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamualikum

I apologize for being late . You needed to bump the thread so many times to get attention .

format_quote Originally Posted by sis chu chu View Post
    I brought up this topic because i was thinking that can one hear music when they are feeling low? kinda cheers you up, know what i mean?
    Try listening to Quran recitation or recite it yourself or read the translation of random surahs. There are many Islamic options for you you just need to follow them. Start practicing and feel the pleasure and happiness.

"Don't depend too much on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness."
    - Ibn Taymiyyah

People get addicted to music because they keep listening to it. Imagine if we keep listening to the Quran?

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari: that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.

And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection." (Sahih Bukhari: Book #69, Hadith #494)

“Falling into sin is like falling in water, the faster you get out the less likely you are going to drown.”

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "Allah said, "I have prepared for My Pious slaves things which have never been seen by an eye, or heard by an ear, or imagined by a human being." If you wish, you can recite this Verse from the Holy quran:--"No soul knows what is kept hidden for them, of joy as a reward for what they used to do." (32.17) (Sahih Bukhari: Book #54, Hadith #467)

The most evil and wrongly of deeds are often the most tempting. Beware of what may bring you pleasure now can bring you sorrow later.

Narrated Abu Musa: The Prophet said, 'The example of a believer who recites the Qur'an is that of a citron (a citrus fruit) which is good in taste and good in smell. And the believer who does not recite the quran is like a date which has a good taste but no smell. And the example of an impious person who recites the Qur'an is that of Ar-Rihana (an aromatic plant) which smells good but is bitter in taste. And the example of an impious person who does not recite the quran is that of a colocynth which is bitter in taste and has no smell." (Sahih Bukhari: Book #93, Hadith #649)

And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e.music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Quran) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire). (Surah Luqman 31:6)

"Truly in the heart there is a void that can not be removed except with the company of Allah. And in it there is a sadness that can not be removed except with the happiness of knowing Allah and being true to Him.

And in it there is an emptiness that can not be filled except with love for Him and by turning to Him and always remembering Him. And if a person were given all of the world and what is in it, it would not fill this emptiness."
    — Ibn al-Qayyim

If you want to know more read these threads.
    http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-...an-sunnah.html
    http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...928-music.html
    The Prohibition of Music(Book) Download!
    Last edited by Innocent Soul; 11-11-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    | Likes marwen, Masuma, Insaanah liked this post
    Question about music

wwwislamicboardcom - Question about music

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam alaykum

where in Quran is saying that music is haram?

Remember haram is very strong term.
    Question about music

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb View Post
    Salam alaykum

where in Quran is saying that music is haram?

Remember haram is very strong term.

wa'alaikum as'salaam,

"But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allaah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a humiliating Penalty. When Our Signs are rehearsed to such a one, he turns away in arrogance, as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in both his ears: announce to him a grievous Penalty." ( Luqmaan: 6-7).

Ibn Mas`ood said: "I swear by Allaah that these "idle tales" are nothing but songs." He repeated it thrice. Ibn `Umar and Ibn `Abbaas, may Allaah be pleased with them, said the very same thing. These are Companions of the Prophets (s) and their fathers were the Companions of Prohet (s) not to mention Caliph of Islam as well. They were living when the Qur'aan was revealed and hence they are among the most versed in interpreting the words of Allaah. They interpreted these "idle tales" as songs.

Btw, One shouldn't say "I consider it, I believe, or to me it is halal" because then one is passing a fatwa on it and making what may be haram into halal, thus making a grave mistake for which a serious punishment is promised by Allah (for making halal into haram and haram int halal). Rather one should say "I'm not convinced it's haram yet, etc"

Some want to listen to the Quran only, neglecting the Sunnah and hadith. We must remember that they too are a revelation from Allah and not something the Prophet (s) made up. There are ton of verses in the quran, like the one below, commanding us to obey the Messenger.

He who obeys the Messenger has indeed obeyed Allaah [al-Nisa’ 4:80]

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).
    Last edited by islamica; 11-11-2011 at 06:37 PM.

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Songs but music in Quran?

Also using silk is haram by Islam?

It is fabric?
    Last edited by sister herb; 11-11-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Question about music

From Occupied Palestine:

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Do you not believe in the Hadith?

He who obeys the Messenger has indeed obeyed Allaah [al-Nisa’ 4:80]

anyways,

Allaah says in Soorat Luqmaan (interpretation of the meaning): “And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…” [Luqmaan 31:6]

The scholar of the ummah, Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: this means singing. Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). (Tafseer al-Tabari, 21/40).

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

Al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this includes all manner of haraam speech, all idle talk and falsehood, and all nonsense that encourages kufr and disobedience; the words of those who say things to refute the truth and argue in support of falsehood to defeat the truth; and backbiting, slander, lies, insults and curses; the singing and musical instruments of the Shaytaan; and musical instruments which are of no spiritual or worldly benefit. (Tafseer al-Sa’di, 6/150)

Perhaps you should visit the links given inshallah, they go more in depth.

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It is fabric?

Silk for men is haram, as is wearing gold. It's a feminine cloth. There are many things in the world that are only meant for one gender and not the other. By their nature their illicit certain kind of traits and characteristics.

MartyrX's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm a firm believer in if it brings a positive message then it's fine. I'm not a scholar by any means, and by reading the Qu'ran I haven't come across any verses that say it's wrong. With the exception of "idle talk", nut really idle talk can be anything. You're chatting with someone that is idle talk.
    | Likes Masuma liked this post

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX View Post
    I'm a firm believer in if it brings a positive message then it's fine. I'm not a scholar by any means, and by reading the Qu'ran I haven't come across any verses that say it's wrong. With the exception of "idle talk", nut really idle talk can be anything. You're chatting with someone that is idle talk.
    Brother,

that is why we read the Quran with tafsir (commentary explanation) and listen to the scholars to understand the deep meaning behind these verses. Some people easily dismiss the scholars, but they are the guardians of this knowledge and the teachers of this deen. They spend their live time studying this and learning all this. It takes years to memorize the Quran with accompany tafsirs from different narrators of the past and memorize volumes of volumes books of hadith. when these scholars explain something about Islam or the Quran, it is not mere "opinions" like rest of us, it is backed by the years of education and understanding of the Quran and 1000s of hadith related to the topic.

One word from the Quran alone is enough to live a whole life on and write books on. If the shabahs, the companions of the Prophet (s), the ones who were there when Quran was being revealed, who say archAngel Gabriel in Human form to come teach Islam, the ones who saw Prophet (s) lived the Quran taught the Quran to them say what one word in the Quran means and refers to. Then is that not sufficient enough for us? How can we say "i never come across something like that" when we merely are reading the english words, empty of the tafsirs and years of education behind it.
    | Likes Insaanah liked this post

Innocent Soul's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari: that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.

And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection." (Sahih Bukhari: Book #69, Hadith #494)

Narrated Al-Bara' bin 'Azib: Allah's Apostle ordered us to do seven things and forbade us to do other seven. He ordered us: to follow the funeral procession. to visit the sick, to accept invitations, to help the oppressed, to fulfill the oaths, to return the greeting and to reply to the sneezer: (saying, "May Allah be merciful on you," provided the sneezer says, "All the praises are for Allah,"). He forbade us to use silver utensils and dishes and to wear golden rings, silk (clothes), Dibaj (pure silk cloth), Qissi and Istabraq (two kinds of silk cloths). (Sahih Bukhari: Book #23, Hadith #331)

Narrated Anas bin Malik: A silken cloak was presented to the Prophet and he used to forbid the usage of silk (by men). When the people were fascinated by the cloak. he said, "By Allah in Whose Hands the life of Muhammad is, the handkerchiefs of Sad bin Mu'adh in Paradise are better than this." (Book #54, Hadith #471)

Sister please read the ahadith and verses posted by sis Islamica and the threads that I have recommended.
    | Likes Masuma, Insaanah liked this post
    Question about music

wwwislamicboardcom - Question about music

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    kutsalgizemler.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalamu alikum wr wb! Thank you so much my brothers and sisters for replying! ^_^
    one little bit thingy. Quran says that idle talk is haram. That is why i mentioned songs which are with purpose! Songs that bring out a social issue into the light. Songs talking about pollution, ghetto kids, gaza, double standards, injustice, freedom, struggle of particular people or group, keeping world clean and green, wars being a curse. They aren't idle talk at all but then that depends on its definition. I'm not in support of listening to music neither am i against it. i'm searching. (:

I'm a firm believer in if it brings a positive message then it's fine.
    I too like this thing but i also believe that the positive message should be brought in the right way. But generally my brother, i also usually accept things which bring positivity.

idle talk can be anything. You're chatting with someone that is idle talk.
    Good point raised bro! That is what i want to know. What do people generally consider to be an ide talk?

So brothers and sisters! Songs with good message and no vulgarity can be qualified as idle talk?

brightness_1
    kutsalgizemler.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Innocent Soul View Post
    Assalamualikum
    I apologize for being late . You needed to bump the thread so many times to get attention .
    Walikum asalam wr wb!
    don't you say that. i think i caught you reading the thread yesterday. you just replied late... lol

Abz2000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Abz Iz Back!!!
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

check this thread out sis:

Islam on Music
    Question about music

2dvls74 1 - Question about music

2vw9341 1 - Question about music

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by islamica View Post
    Do you not believe in the Hadith?
    No. I believe Quran and only Quran.

Where in Quran is say that music is haram?
    Question about music

From Occupied Palestine:

Huzzy_786's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"And there are among men those who purchase idle talk in order to mislead others from Allah's path without knowledge, and who throw ridicule upon it. For such there will be a humiliating punishment" Soorah Luqmaan

Music is idle talk? So you should rather talk about Islam then listen to things which would be useless for your life and the hear after.
    Question about music

www.dawahsolutions.co.uk

ISLAMIC POSTERS | ISLAMIC WEBSITES | ISLAMIC FUN!

24. Report bad ads?
    Abz2000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Abz Iz Back!!!
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

the Quran doesn't show you how to pray sister.

and "idle talk", the prophet often listened to non-Islamic poetry just for entertainment purpose while he was riding.
    Question about music

2dvls74 1 - Question about music

2vw9341 1 - Question about music

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Question about music Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Question about music