× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 14 of 14 visibility 2842

Dumb question

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Dumb question

Report bad ads?

Salaam,

I feel stupid asking this question. What does it mean to use a credit card which gives cashback? Not that I have a credit card, but someone asked me this question and I had no idea lol.
    Dumb question

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Dagless's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Getting a Wimpy...
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Dumb question

format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos View Post
    Salaam,

I feel stupid asking this question. What does it mean to use a credit card which gives cashback? Not that I have a credit card, but someone asked me this question and I had no idea lol.
    When you purchase something you will get a small amount of money back. Like say you buy something for £100, the credit card may give you 2% back so you only pay £98. Some cards give you reward points instead which you can spend in their stores, others may give air miles etc.
    | Likes Muslim Woman, GuestFellow liked this post
    Dumb question

chat Quote

syed1's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

also cash back could imply that you can use your credit card to withdraw cash....

bear in mind that doing so would yield very high interest compounded daily..
    | Likes Muslim Woman, GuestFellow liked this post
    chat Quote

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
    When you purchase something you will get a small amount of money back. Like say you buy something for £100, the credit card may give you 2% back so you only pay £98. Some cards give you reward points instead which you can spend in their stores, others may give air miles etc.
    No. you still have to pay the bank $100, but you will get $2 credit in your credit card. You can use that $2 for your next purchase.

format_quote Originally Posted by syed1 View Post
    also cash back could imply that you can use your credit card to withdraw cash....
    Cash back does not mean that. AFAIK, all major credit cards allow you to withdraw cash.
    | Likes Muslim Woman, ardianto, GuestFellow liked this post
    Dumb question

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Getting a Wimpy...
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan View Post

No. you still have to pay the bank $100, but you will get $2 credit in your credit card. You can use that $2 for your next purchase.
    Why would you pay them 100? You spend 100 on your credit card, therefore your balance is -100. The credit card company gives you 2% cashback, therefore your balance is -98. You pay 98 and your balance is 0. You never pay 100 because it's not your money which is used to purchase anything (hence credit card and not debit card) - you only pay the balance.
    Last edited by Dagless; 11-22-2011 at 07:34 AM.
    Dumb question

chat Quote

ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Why would you pay them 100? You spend 100 on your credit card, therefore your balance is -100. The credit card company gives you 2% cashback, therefore your balance is -98. You pay 98 and your balance is 0. You never pay 100 because it's not your money which is used to purchase anything (hence credit card and not debit card) - you only pay the balance.
    I and bro Ramadhan go to the bookstore. We see "10% discount for every item" sign there.

I buy a $10 book, but I pay only $9 because I get 10% duscount. Bro Ramadhan buy $20 book, but he pay only $18 because he get 10% discount too.

I and bro Ramadhan have credit card from same bank that offer cash back up to 2%. This month I use my credit card and spend $1000, bro Ramadhan spend $100. I pay to the bank $1000, then bank gives me $20 in my credit card balance. So, if in next month I spend $400, I can pay only $380. Bro Ramadhan pay $100 to the bank, he doesn't get $2 in his balance. According to the rule, if the card holder spend $500 or more, he/she get 1% cash back, if the card holder spend $1000 or more, he/she get 2% cash back. And bro Ramadhan spent only $100.

These are just example, but I hope you understand what's difference between discount and cash back. Difference between unconditional and on condition.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Getting a Wimpy...
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto View Post
    I and bro Ramadhan go to the bookstore. We see "10% discount for every item" sign there.

I buy a $10 book, but I pay only $9 because I get 10% duscount. Bro Ramadhan buy $20 book, but he pay only $18 because he get 10% discount too.

I and bro Ramadhan have credit card from same bank that offer cash back up to 2%. This month I use my credit card and spend $1000, bro Ramadhan spend $100. I pay to the bank $1000, then bank gives me $20 in my credit card balance. So, if in next month I spend $400, I can pay only $380. Bro Ramadhan pay $100 to the bank, he doesn't get $2 in his balance. According to the rule, if the card holder spend $500 or more, he/she get 1% cash back, if the card holder spend $1000 or more, he/she get 2% cash back. And bro Ramadhan spent only $100.

These are just example, but I hope you understand what's difference between discount and cash back. Difference between unconditional and on condition.
    I think maybe it depends on provider because here most cards give cashback on balance, not on payment (since a lot of people are in debt there wouldn't really be an incentive if it was payment based). So if you spend 100, you would get 2 back whether you paid anything to the credit card company that month or not. Maybe someone else can explain better...
    Dumb question

chat Quote

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I used to have credit card that offered cash back. And that's the terms/conditions.
    I do not get discount on my credit card payment to the bank. but i get the "cash back" which is credit on my card that I can only use for purchase with that credit card. It is basically non-existent until I use it as part of my next purchase. in other word, I will get discount on my next purchase. This way the bank encourage the cardholder to keep spending and using the credit card in order to get more credit in order to use it for the next purchase. It's very good strategy by the banks.
    Maybe different bank has different policy, but that's the usual practice in my area. But I will be very surprised if banks actually give direct discount on payments to them.
    Last edited by Ramadhan; 11-22-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    Dumb question

chat Quote

ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan View Post
    Maybe different bank has different policy, but that's the usual practice in my area. But I will be very surprised if banks actually give direct discount on payments to them.
    Not on payment to the bank, but on payment to the specific vendors. In example, if you eat in "ABC restaurant", you can get 10% discount if you pay with "XYZ credit card".
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Marina-Aisha's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

usually it means to get money drawn from ur card
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Okay now I'm confused. LOL :/
    Dumb question

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

Ghazalah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    It's all good... :D
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^It literally means, do you want any cash back lol
    | Likes GuestFellow liked this post
    Dumb question

Do not think of minor sins as insignificant,
    for mountains are made out of
    pebbles...
    chat Quote

Abz2000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Abz Iz Back!!!
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It means they expect to increase your debt so they can get at least triple that amount from you once they have you hooked
    Dumb question

2dvls74 1 - Dumb question

2vw9341 1 - Dumb question

chat Quote

Abz2000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Abz Iz Back!!!
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hope this helps:

Dumb question

2dvls74 1 - Dumb question

2vw9341 1 - Dumb question

chat Quote

18. Hide
Hey there! Dumb question Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Dumb question