× Register Login What's New! Contact us

View Poll Results: Would it offend you to see Muhammad or any prophet drawn in a serious way?

Voters
36. Login to vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 80.56%
  • No

6 16.67%
  • I am the original poster who's only using this option to see the results

1 2.78%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 39 visibility 6948

Do you get offended seeing visual depictions of the prophets?

Darth Ultor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Say if someone were to draw Muhammad for example. Not in a "comic" way but in a serious way as he is described by Muslim sources (not sure where though, don't want to get link without a citation). Average height, prominent forehead, chest length beard, would it be a problem for you personally?
    | Likes Muslim Woman liked this post
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Do you get offended seeing visual depictions of the prophets?

Yes, I would have a problem with that.
    | Likes Muslim Woman liked this post

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

When I went to Egypt over the summer they had two Iranian soaps one about Yusuf and the other Isa PBUT..
    as good a soap as the Yusuf one was, I was really vexed that, they'd have this gay looking kid play him and an even more gay looking adult. When yousef PBUH was so handsome that women cut their fingers off when they saw him.. Now he'll forever be etched in the minds of the people as that kid or the adult version of him in that soap..

btw does anyone know who the reciter is?
    | Likes Muslim Woman, FS123 liked this post

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Do you get offended seeing visual depictions of the prophets?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What [removed] is that they keep making Jesus white. Where does it say he was a white man with brown hair and blue eyes?
    Last edited by ~Raindrop~; 11-23-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Please refrain from using such language.
    | Likes FS123, Ali_008, GuestFellow liked this post
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I hear he's chinese in China, and black in black churches so it depends on where you're from. and it is all wrong, it is disrespectful and just plain wrong.
    | Likes Muslim Woman, FS123, Endymion liked this post

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Do you get offended seeing visual depictions of the prophets?

chat Quote

Ghazalah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    It's all good... :D
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^It's abdul baset

I knew quite a few people (family members also) who watched that series and were quite obsessed with it. But because it was Iranian they had the Shia version of the story, so much stuff that's never mentioned in the Quran or the tafsir of the Ayats was included! SubhanAllah.

to the OP-I would be upset if that happened. Drawing him as no flip sides to it, Muslims wouldn't be too happy, and the kaffirs wouldn't care, so don't do it all together.
    | Likes جوري liked this post

Do not think of minor sins as insignificant,
    for mountains are made out of
    pebbles...
    chat Quote

bintYahya's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I heard some use the statement "his face shining as the sun" as an excuse to portray him as white... And even so, the Bible is against making images.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah View Post
    ^It's abdul baset

I knew quite a few people (family members also) who watched that series and were quite obsessed with it. But because it was Iranian they had the Shia version of the story, so much stuff that's never mentioned in the Quran or the tafsir of the Ayats was included! SubhanAllah.

to the OP-I would be upset if that happened. Drawing him as no flip sides to it, Muslims wouldn't be too happy, and the kaffirs wouldn't care, so don't do it all together.
    I know I'd curse everyday when it comes on their audacity and transgression but would sit transfixed with my aunts and watch it anyway lol.. it was very well done and compared to the Egyptian soaps it was amazing.. there was also another one called 'malakoot' I am afraid of this kind of shiite invasion.. but I have to admit that there stuff at least had some virtue whereas the Egyptian stuff is completely inappropriate and not at all culture suitable..

the Isa one failed to capture my interest though..
    this was all right before Ramadan and it was really nice.. It was nice to be home and feel at home.. I am thinking I should buy me a burial plot there or somewhere in the middle east. I'd hate to be buried in this cold unfeeling country...

chat Quote

Flame of Hope's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultor View Post
    Say if someone were to draw Muhammad for example. Not in a "comic" way but in a serious way as he is described by Muslim sources (not sure where though, don't want to get link without a citation). Average height, prominent forehead, chest length beard, would it be a problem for you personally?

No.... I would not be offended. It is not a problem for me personally. And I see that I'm the only one so far who has said "No" in your poll.

People do all kinds of strange things..... forbidden things.... ghastly things..... horrible things..... insane things.....

Some may want to burn the Qur'an. Destroy the masjids perhaps? Draw a cartoon of the Prophet (saws)?

I hear about these sort of things in the news quite often.

I don't care what people do. They will be held accountable by God for THEIR actions. Me, for mine.

I believe the Truth is so powerful it needs no defense. Whosoever dares to oppose it or reject it will eventually be destroyed.

So....I prefer to mind my own business.
    | Likes Marina-Aisha liked this post

It is pointless to watch other people's houses crumbling when our own house is in need of repair and attention.

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    crimsontide06's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Riham View Post

No.... I would not be offended. It is not a problem for me personally. And I see that I'm the only one so far who has said "No" in your poll.

People do all kinds of strange things..... forbidden things.... ghastly things..... horrible things..... insane things.....

Some may want to burn the Qur'an. Destroy the masjids perhaps? Draw a cartoon of the Prophet (saws)?

I don't care what people do. They will be held accountable by God for THEIR actions. Me, for mine.

I believe the Truth is so powerful it needs no defense. Whosoever dares to oppose it or reject it will eventually be destroyed.

I agree 100%. I prefer to mind my own business. I chose, no.
    chat Quote

bintYahya's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Isn't a strong reaction what an anti-Islam cartoonist would want? It'd be disservice for our beautiful deen to get angry or whatever. No one should be able to hurt us, like if you've read ibn Taymiyyah's quote.
    chat Quote

SFatima's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

My answer is , yes I would not like any image associated with Prophet MUhammad saww (pbuh). I would be offended, I would voice my opinion, and that is about it. It is not allowed in Islam to associate images with the Prophets, we haven't seen them, and making a person of today trying to assimilate them might just make that false image sit in your mind, which will be a false depiction. It just seems wrong, I dont know, it feels disrespectful.
    | Likes peace_maker liked this post
    chat Quote

Ali_008's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    - I Love You Allah -
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The Prophet (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said, “I wish I could see my brothers, (the Companions said) aren’t we your brothers O Prophet of Allah? He replied: No, you are my Companions. My brothers are those who come after me and believe in me without seeing me.”
    Ahmed, Sahih

Another narration says

When the Prophet visited Al Bakki’ (a burial-ground in Madienah next to the Prophet’s mosque) before his death, he told his companions:” I wish I could see my brothers.” They replied:”Aren’t we your brothers?” The Prophet said:”No, you are my companions, my brothers are those who didn’t see me and yet follow me and believe in me. I’ll wait for them on Al Hawdh (the Place where the Prophet is going to give all survivors a handful water from his noble hands that will make them never feel thirsty again after this hard day-the Judgment Day- and this will be directly before interring Paradise).

Which Muslim would like to see Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahuAlayhiWaSallam) before his/her death after reading this?
    | Likes Snowflake, جوري, Endymion liked this post

If Allah helps you, none can overcome you; and if He forsakes you, who is there after Him that can help you? And in Allah (Alone) let believers put their trust.
    Surah Ale Imran : 160

It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:
    The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) climbed up Uhud, accompanied by Abu Bakr, ‘Umar and ‘Uthmaan, and the mountain shook with them. He struck it with his foot and said: “Stand firm, O Uhud, for there is no one on you but a Prophet or a Siddeeq or two martyrs.”
    Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3483)

Allah (Subhaanahu Wa Taala) does not inspire seeking forgiveness in a slave whom he wishes to punish.
    Ali (RadhiAllahu Anhu)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima View Post
    My answer is , yes I would not like any image associated with Prophet MUhammad saww (pbuh). I would be offended, I would voice my opinion, and that is about it. It is not allowed in Islam to associate images with the Prophets, we haven't seen them, and making a person of today trying to assimilate them might just make that false image sit in your mind, which will be a false depiction. It just seems wrong, I dont know, it feels disrespectful.
    Yet I don't hear of Muslims objecting to movies about Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, David, or Jesus. Where was the objection to Mel Gibson's sick excuse for a movie?
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Ali_008's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    - I Love You Allah -
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yet I don't hear of Muslims objecting to movies about Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, David, or Jesus. Where was the objection to Mel Gibson's sick excuse for a movie?
    Mel Gibson's movie dealt with "worship of Christ" and Muslims have nothing to do with it if that idea is shown altered or unseemly in the eyes of Christ worshippers. There's no difference between other movies and Mel Gibson's movie for Muslims because both of them are fiction. Similarly with other movies based on other prophets. To be very honest, even I didn't know that there were movies and tv shows on the lives of prophets and I came to know about them very recently so it could also be a matter of awareness as to why voices weren't raised against them in the Islamic world.

If Allah helps you, none can overcome you; and if He forsakes you, who is there after Him that can help you? And in Allah (Alone) let believers put their trust.
    Surah Ale Imran : 160

It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:
    The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) climbed up Uhud, accompanied by Abu Bakr, ‘Umar and ‘Uthmaan, and the mountain shook with them. He struck it with his foot and said: “Stand firm, O Uhud, for there is no one on you but a Prophet or a Siddeeq or two martyrs.”
    Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3483)

Allah (Subhaanahu Wa Taala) does not inspire seeking forgiveness in a slave whom he wishes to punish.
    Ali (RadhiAllahu Anhu)
    chat Quote

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Riham View Post

I beg to differ.

Rasulullah (saw) clearly and strongly forbid depictions of him and any other prophets (pbut)

So that is haraam.

and from Rasulullah (saw) too, when we see evil doing, we must remove it by hands, and if not possible, we must stand against it by tongue, and if not possible then we must curse/dislike it with our heart.

Islam is not the religion of hermit or for the apathetic. Islam is for society where the act of individual affects the whole society at large.

The least we can do when someone create images of prophet Muhammad SAW is to dislike it with our heart.

Muslims should and do care what people do.
    Last edited by Ramadhan; 11-24-2011 at 02:28 PM.

chat Quote

Abdul-Raouf's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    cageprisoners.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

..my heart is against it...Depecting a prophet or a sahabah.

let it be in words.. than a picture.
    chat Quote

Insaanah's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    ★ Islam is THE way ★
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Muslims do tell Christians that the statues etc in churches are wrong, even according to the Bible.

And when Jerry Springer the Opera was screened, Muslims protested together with Christians:

A new, cross-faith conservatism is in the air: witness how Catholics, Anglicans, Jews and Muslims supported the Conservative Party Leader’s call for a cut in the time limit for abortion; how Muslims joined Christians in the unprecedented protests against the BBC’s screening of Jerry Springer: the opera; how evangelical Christians supported the banning of a play offensive to Sikhs; how Jewish leaders opposed the BBC’s cartoon series Popetown.
    http://www.touchstonemag.com/archive...id=18-06-011-c

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan View Post
    I beg to differ.

Rasulullah (saw) clearly and strongly forbid depictions of him and any other prophets (pbut)

So that is haraam.

and from Rasulullah (saw) too, when we see evil doing, we must remove it by hands, and if not possible, we must stand against it by tongue, and if not possible then we must curse/dislike it with our heart.

Islam is not the religion of hermit or for the apathetic. Islam is for society where the act of individual affects the whole society at large.

The least we can do when someone create images of prophet Muhammad SAW is to dislike it with our heart.

Muslims should and do care what people do.
    I agree. If we stay silent, we are not even conveying to them that it is wrong to do so, depriving them of the right to know that information, even if they don't agree with it. We should at least be able to convey to them, that this is Islamically wrong, and it's forbidden. If we can't do that, then we can at least dislike it in our heart. To do none of those, is not Islamically an option, as indicated by the full text of the hadeeth that Brother Ramadhan mentioned above:

On the authority of Abu Sa'eed al-Khudree (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah say : Whosoever of you sees an evil, let him change it with his hand; and if he is not able to do so, then [let him change it] with his tongue; and if he is not able to do so, then with his heart - and that is the weakest of faith. (Sahih Muslim)

If to hate it in our heart is the weakest of faith, then what is the status of not caring, feeling nothing, and that it's not our business and nothing to do with us?

A glimpse of what the possible answer to that might be is given here:

Abdullah bin Mas'ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allah said, "Never a Prophet had been sent before me by Allah to his people but he had, among his people, (his) disciples and companions, who followed his ways and obeyed his command. Then there came after them their successors who proclaimed what they did not practise, and practised what they were not commanded to do. And (he) who strove against them with his hand is a believer; he who strove against them with his heart is a believer; and he who strove against them with his tongue is a believer ; and beyond that there is no grain of Faith". [Sahih Muslim].

So we must at least dislike it in our hearts, and to not do even that, is not Islamically an option.

And Allah knows best in all matters.
    Last edited by Insaanah; 11-24-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").

This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)

Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)
    chat Quote

IslamicRevival's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes of course I do get offended but i would not go out on the streets, acting like a hooligan..IE Protesting
    | Likes GuestFellow, GodIsAll liked this post
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Neon Teen's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I would have a problew with that...Its a big sin and leads to hell.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Do you get offended seeing visual depictions of the prophets? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Do you get offended seeing visual depictions of the prophets?