Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

best way to give Dawah to Sikh Friend?

Report bad ads?

Salam brother and sister,

I have a Sikh friend whom I have become very close with over the few years... He is a very humble, easy going and friendly dude and we have never got into any altercations over religion. He has always been accepting ( at least on the surface) of Islam and I too have not shown him any disrespect to his religion...

I want to teach him about islam and show him the way, I want to guide him but I don't want to do it in such a way where I come off as a person trying to preach to him or tell him what's right or wrong.

There is a islam conference going on here in December and I want to take him to that, its called Reviving the Islamic Spirit but I am not sure what the best approach is or how to get him to come. I don't want to come of as a person who is trying to convert him, I just want to show him what we believe as oppose to what he believes and make him form his own decision...

What do you guys think the best approach is? My initial plan is to first generate a deeper understand of his religion (sikhism) and then cultivate a better understanding of islam and show him where both intersect and where both differ. I have already come across some rather interesting information about sikhism ( for example, Guru Nank Dev ji claimed that there is one god "ik onkar" or that guru nank was a muslim who and apperantly there is a story of him going to makkah) which I could use to try to show him his own religion and how it might be misinterpreted...

Any ways, what is the best approach? Where can I learn more about Sikhism (proper facts or the majority opinion - I'd hate to make claims about his scripture and then feel stupid if I was wrong) ...

how shall I go about this...

Thanks for your help in advance, Inshallah!
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Abz2000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Abz Iz Back!!!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: best way to give Dawah to Sikh Friend?

ask him what the idols have created

2dvls74 1 - best way to give Dawah to Sikh Friend?

2vw9341 1 - best way to give Dawah to Sikh Friend?

chat Quote

SyrianFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wow this is really close to my situation as well. We have a conference in January about Islam, and I am also trying to bring a friend along. My advice to you is that maybe telling him what the conference is about and that you are going and you want him to come with you. If its a two day conference, like the one I'm trying to bring my friend to tell them they can just go to the first day and see how it goes, if they don't like it they don't have to show up for the next day. And if cost is a factor for your friend just pay for him, it'll be the biggest investment you'll do.

And Allah knows best.
    chat Quote

syed1's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

thanks for your input.. yeah this is actually a 3 day event and I was already planning to get a ticket for him cause I obv. wouldnt want him to pay to come to something that he has no interest in..
    | Likes AnasAhmed liked this post
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000 View Post
    ask him what the idols have created
    not sure if you were inferring this, but SIKHS, like muslims believe in One God, they do not worship idols. Hindu's on the other hand worship idols
    chat Quote

Perseveranze's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalaamu Alaikum,

There is a website dedicated to giving Sikh's Dawah, check it out - http://www.islam-sikhism.info

A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com
    chat Quote

'Aleena's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by syed1 View Post
    not sure if you were inferring this, but SIKHS, like muslims believe in One God, they do not worship idols
    But they do bow down to their holy book which contains verses of all religious books including The Qur'an. This is what my Sikh friend informed me. When I tried to make her understand, she said, "Well even you people use intermediaries. You Imam, your Quran and Arabic teacher are all intermediaries as they help you to get closer to God"

All I wanted to do was to bang my head.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Aleena View Post
    his is what my Sikh friend informed me. When I tried to make her understand, she said, "Well even you people use intermediaries. You Imam, your Quran and Arabic teacher are all intermediaries as they help you to get closer to God"
    yes, the guru granth sahib ji is their main book and after skimming through it I found many simillarities and it does mention muslims, and the quran as well... what do you mean by "when I tried to make her understand" understand what? and so your saying they pray bow down to there book? hmm didnt know that..
    chat Quote

Abz2000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Abz Iz Back!!!
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wow, thanks for that update, I've known Sikhs since childhood, didn't know they were closer to the truth than others, I really believed they worshipped idols,
    Just been reding up on it, although it may not be the truth, it seems like a good moral code.

2dvls74 1 - best way to give Dawah to Sikh Friend?

2vw9341 1 - best way to give Dawah to Sikh Friend?

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    'Aleena's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"when I tried to make her understand" understand what? and so your saying they pray bow down to there book?
    Yeah they do. They take the book as an intermediary so I was trying to argue that we do not need an intermediary between us and God.
    chat Quote

Singh123a's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sikhism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam brother and sister,

I have a Sikh friend whom I have become very close with over the few years... He is a very humble, easy going and friendly dude and we have never got into any altercations over religion. He has always been accepting ( at least on the surface) of Islam and I too have not shown him any disrespect to his religion...

I want to teach him about islam and show him the way, I want to guide him but I don't want to do it in such a way where I come off as a person trying to preach to him or tell him what's right or wrong.

There is a islam conference going on here in December and I want to take him to that, its called Reviving the Islamic Spirit but I am not sure what the best approach is or how to get him to come. I don't want to come of as a person who is trying to convert him, I just want to show him what we believe as oppose to what he believes and make him form his own decision...

What do you guys think the best approach is? My initial plan is to first generate a deeper understand of his religion (sikhism) and then cultivate a better understanding of islam and show him where both intersect and where both differ. I have already come across some rather interesting information about sikhism ( for example, Guru Nank Dev ji claimed that there is one god "ik onkar" or that guru nank was a muslim who and apperantly there is a story of him going to makkah) which I could use to try to show him his own religion and how it might be misinterpreted...

Any ways, what is the best approach? Where can I learn more about Sikhism (proper facts or the majority opinion - I'd hate to make claims about his scripture and then feel stupid if I was wrong) ...

how shall I go about this...

Thanks for your help in advance, Inshallah!

greetings I am Sikh I know this is very old post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sikhism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Aleena View Post

Yeah they do. They take the book as an intermediary so I was trying to argue that we do not need an intermediary between us and God.
    We sikhs bow to the Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji out of respect because of the belief in one ness of God
    | Likes Altaqwa liked this post
    chat Quote

'Abdullah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Layman
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Singh123a View Post
    We sikhs bow to the Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji out of respect because of the belief in one ness of God
    Can you share your basic belief system? Seems like you do believe in one God. Is there any Divine guidance in Sikhism? Are there any prophets in Sikhism and do they have any miracles? What is the concept of hereafter in Sikhism? Is there any hell or heaven according to your belief? Where do you drive your morals from?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sikhism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The basic belief system is rejection of idol worship, pictures, and rituals. Belief in one god alone who has no shape, no form, no color etc. I believe the best way to learn about Sikhism are two ways and the answers to your question.

1. Download on your iPhone or laptop Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and read it.

2. Go inside a Gurdwara(Sikh temple) and see how the culture is, what is being recited talk with a Granthi.

I downloaded Qu’ran and read it from beginning to end and also read Sahih Bukhari Hadiths and also went to Mosque and learned the prayers just to see how the culture is and what prayers are recited and how to do them - it’s best way to learn about any religion.

- - - Updated - - -

If you desire only to learn you can see and do the Daily Nitnem just to see how it feels, or how it’s done just for learning not convert

- - - Updated - - -

Islam and Sikhism is different though in aspects to belief system
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Layman
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The basic belief system is rejection of idol worship, pictures, and rituals. Belief in one god alone who has no shape, no form, no color etc. I believe the best way to learn about Sikhism are two ways and the answers to your question.

1. Download on your iPhone or laptop Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and read it.

2. Go inside a Gurdwara(Sikh temple) and see how the culture is, what is being recited talk with a Granthi.

I downloaded Qu’ran and read it from beginning to end and also read Sahih Bukhari Hadiths and also went to Mosque and learned the prayers just to see how the culture is and what prayers are recited and how to do them - it’s best way to learn about any religion.

- - - Updated - - -

If you desire only to learn you can see and do the Daily Nitnem just to see how it feels, or how it’s done just for learning not convert
    Do you believe that there is only one true religion or do you believe that there could be several ways to find God?
    If someone is not born as a Sikh, how would you prove that Granth is the Divine message? It could be man made.
    Sikhism only started few centuries ago (1500s may be), h
    ow can God leave humanity without any Divine guidance for centuries if Sikhism is true religion?
    Correct me if I am wrong, Sikhism don't believe in life hereafter. Sikhs don't believe in Hell and Heaven and without this concept, there is no purpose in life.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sikhism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman View Post
    Do you believe that there is only one true religion or do you believe that there could be several ways to find God?
    If someone is not born as a Sikh, how would you prove that Granth is the Divine message? It could be man made.
    Sikhism only started few centuries ago (1500s may be), h
    ow can God leave humanity without any Divine guidance for centuries if Sikhism is true religion?
    Correct me if I am wrong, Sikhism don't believe in life hereafter. Sikhs don't believe in Hell and Heaven and without this concept, there is no purpose in life.

When Guru Nanak got revelation his very first words were, “there is no hindu, there is no Muslim”. When a hindu and a Muslim asked which one is on the right path, Guru Nanak replied, “without good deeds and without good karma both will be lost”. As per Sikhism, “God exists from beginning, and now, and will exist eternally” Sikhism rejects science and scientific proves because then that would put God before science to prove, God is experienced through oneself, through praises, singing glories, mediating on him which 100% agrees ok Sufism. All the 10 gurus have several incidents in history, let’s take one and analyze:

Two Muslims came to Guru Nanak and asked him to join with him to offer namaz to God, Guru Nanak agreed and went with them to offer prayer but Guru Nanak totally prayed in opposite direction. The two Muslims asked why didn’t you pray towards God’s house? Guru Nanak replied my gods house is in every direction, to the north, to the east, to the west to the south, everything belongs to him.

The list is long of several incidents it’s best to talk with Granthi.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Layman
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

When Guru Nanak got revelation his very first words were, “there is no hindu, there is no Muslim”. When a hindu and a Muslim asked which one is on the right path, Guru Nanak replied, “without good deeds and without good karma both will be lost”. As per Sikhism, “God exists from beginning, and now, and will exist eternally” Sikhism rejects science and scientific proves because then that would put God before science to prove, God is experienced through oneself, through praises, singing glories, mediating on him which 100% agrees ok Sufism. All the 10 gurus have several incidents in history, let’s take one and analyze:

Two Muslims came to Guru Nanak and asked him to join with him to offer namaz to God, Guru Nanak agreed and went with them to offer prayer but Guru Nanak totally prayed in opposite direction. The two Muslims asked why didn’t you pray towards God’s house? Guru Nanak replied my gods house is in every direction, to the north, to the east, to the west to the south, everything belongs to him.

The list is long of several incidents it’s best to talk with Granthi.
    That did not answer my questions or may be I failed to understand. Let me ask question one by one.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sikhism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That did not answer my questions or may be I failed to understand. Let me ask question one by one.
    Sorry if I wasn’t clear - but it was answered “without good deeds both are lost” let’s take example of what the Guru meant, let’s say a hindu does idol worship but he does good deeds, he feeds the poor, helps the needy he does so many good karma he even saves a life - that person will have good place in hereafter. That question depends on your deeds. Religion or no religion without deeds they would be lost on hereafter. Every religion has parts of truth but eternal truth is one who realizes all is equal. That’s why a verse comes from that one light everything has came so there is no such thing as hindu or Muslim. This is why the word Sikh means to seek the truth. So yes there many ways but depends on factors as well
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Layman
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sorry if I wasn’t clear - but it was answered “without good deeds both are lost” let’s take example of what the Guru meant, let’s say a hindu does idol worship but he does good deeds, he feeds the poor, helps the needy he does so many good karma he even saves a life - that person will have good place in hereafter. That question depends on your deeds. Religion or no religion without deeds they would be lost on hereafter. Every religion has parts of truth but eternal truth is one who realizes all is equal. That’s why a verse comes from that one light everything has came so there is no such thing as hindu or Muslim. This is why the word Sikh means to seek the truth. So yes there many ways but depends on factors as well
    Well let's seek the truth then, shall we?

Muslims means submission to God. So Muslims already know what is good and bad and they follow the Divine guidance which differentiates between good and bad. If a Muslim does not do good deeds then he/she is only a Muslim by name not with actions.

You mentioned hereafter? Sikhism does not believe in hell and heaven. So what the point of being good or being bad if there is no hell or heaven?

You said that there is truth is every religion. How one will know which one is truth and which one is not?

There are no multiple ways to salvation. Quran is very clear on that and so do many other religions. I invite you to read the thread below as well for in depth discussion why the true religion can only be one.

https://www.islamicboard.com/general...ml#post3015988

Lastly, let me ask this again. If you are born as a Muslim, how would you be convinced that Sikhism is the right religion?
    | Likes matthewjg81 liked this post
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sikhism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well let's seek the truth then, shall we?

Muslims means submission to God. So Muslims already know what is good and bad and they follow the Divine guidance which differentiates between good and bad. If a Muslim does not do good deeds then he/she is only a Muslim by name not with actions.

You mentioned hereafter? Sikhism does not believe in hell and heaven. So what the point of being good or being bad if there is no hell or heaven?

You said that there is truth is every religion. How one will know which one is truth and which one is not?

There are no multiple ways to salvation. Quran is very clear on that and so do many other religions. I invite you to read the thread below as well for in depth discussion why the true religion can only be one.

https://www.islamicboard.com/general...ml#post3015988

Lastly, let me ask this again. If you are born as a Muslim, how would you be convinced that Sikhism is the right religion?

As per Sikhism, The thing is is there are good and bad apples in every basket. Let it be Muslim, Sikh, hindu we all still do bad and good regardless. While belief in one god is important many things are taken into consideration think of it as a bad karma weight and good karma weight. Sikhism’s perspective of heaven and hell is different. Let’s take an example. A baby which is born without an arm, that’s karma of past deeds, cycle of reincarnation otherwise what else could be the reason? Test? The new life already lost the test before even beginning to take it. A baby who is deformed can not be a test but actions of previous karma. Sikhism rejects proves when concerning God because God is beyond science. The proof would be realizing him. I will definitely look into the form thanks.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! best way to give Dawah to Sikh Friend? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. best way to give Dawah to Sikh Friend?