star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What is your new year resolution?

Report bad ads?

2011 has now passed and I am sure we have all had our fair share of ups and downs...

In the masjids and friday prayers it seems all the imams seem to be stressing on one key point: Create a better resolution than the standard "lose weight" or "eat healthy" goals. Instead make a resolution, for example, to pray 5 times a day and not miss a prayer.

Brothers and sisters, this is a time to reflect upon the last year and all our short coming and how we can improve on them. The new year is not a time to celebrate, it is a time to reflect and ponder and face the reality that we are one year closer to our death...

please, I ask you, take a moment and reflect over this verse:

[Taubah 9:126] Do they not observe that they are tested once or twice every year? Yet they do not repent, nor do they heed advice!observe that they are tested once or twice every year? Yet they do not repent, nor do they heed advice!

Brothers and sister, I am not suggesting that you not enjoy your new years but please, enjoy it within limits and be heedful to the reality we are living in. Repent for the mistakes made in the last year and say to your selves you will try your best not to commit them again. Surely, the coming year will have its own long lists of trials and tribulations so prepare well for them and be patient throughout them.

So what is your new year's resolution (it better be a good one)..

For my self: I plan to become a better person in all facets of my life, particularly in regards to my parents and obeying their command without hesitation. Surely, I have not been the most loving or obedient towards them and I wish this will change this year, Inshallah.
    | Likes peace_maker liked this post
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: What is your new year resolution?

The common but unrealized mistake that committed by many people in the world is, they made promise "In the next year, I want to be a better person"

My question. If they wanted to be a better person, why did they wait until January 1 ? why didn't they make themselves become a better person since they said that promise ?

chat Quote

Tyrion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The key to new years resolutions is to make them specific, not vague. My goal is to get back on my old gym schedule, and to start doing some cardio every day.
    chat Quote

syed1's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto View Post
    My question. If they wanted to be a better person, why did they wait until January 1 ?
    its not that people necessarily wait till January 1 to start on there goals, but rather they feel that on this day, its a 'new beginning' if you will and a new start. This day has some sort of motivational affect on an individual and makes them really get started and realize there goals.

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    My goal is to get back on my old gym schedule, and to start doing some cardio every day

So much for making "better goals".. so typical "oh I want to work out or get bigger or get in better shape" ...all I hear is blah blah blah
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Did anyone make a new years "resolution" when Muharram approached?

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I doubt it. Did you ?

probably a rhetorical question...
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes it was lol! Just wondering what's the big deal with this. I seem to be more and more bothered by it each time I see it, reason being that I see a lot of Muslims practically missing when Muharram comes around but to ecstatic for the gregorian new year. So all in all, I hate it more lol.

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*
    chat Quote

ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven View Post
    Did anyone make a new years "resolution" when Muharram approached?
    That's what the khatib said in a juma'ah khutbah.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I see a lot of Muslims practically missing when Muharram comes around but to ecstatic for the gregorian new year.
    its simple, you are a product of your environment. We live in the North Americas (many of us) or even in other parts of the world like UK and we tend to share experiences that the masses are enjoying.

I don't know why your bothered sister, if muhurrum got as much publicity as the Gregorian calendar does then I am sure people would make adhere to that and make a resolution...
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    CosmicPathos's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by syed1 View Post
    its simple, you are a product of your environment. We live in the North Americas (many of us) or even in other parts of the world like UK and we tend to share experiences that the masses are enjoying.

I don't know why your bothered sister, if muhurrum got as much publicity as the Gregorian calendar does then I am sure people would make adhere to that and make a resolution...
    I am surprised that if you are a product of your environment, why do not you go out and condone zina and booze?

Help me to escape from this existence
    I yearn for an answer... can you help me?
    I'm drowning in a sea of abused visions and shattered dreams
    In somnolent illusion... I'm paralyzed
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I told you why I'm bothered. Just because it's done in the west doesn't mean need to adhere to something that isn't ours. I'm sitting right now my dads left the TV on. As I'm typing this Im also hearing fireworks on TV...guess where from..PAKISTAN. Why? You're saying it as if it's bad that Muharram gets publicity. It SHOULD, because is pure by nature and it has relevance to our religion.

If Muslims can't be as excited for a time that has something to do with their deen, just as they are for gregorian new year, then I will always be bothered. FB status's are flooded with new years messages and resolutions but when Muharram rolled around..silence. My cousin messages me on FB, and says "happy new year" as soon as he gives salaam. Now where was he when Muharram approached? I wasn't going to reply to that with a similar response, so I said "yes our new years passed, Muharram Mubarak!"

I hope you won't ask me again, why I'm bothered.

BTW, I live in the west too. Let's all support the kaafirs in the things they do that are an enjoyment for them. Some Muslims are already ok with this.
    Last edited by Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн; 12-31-2011 at 07:23 PM.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos View Post
    I am surprised that if you are a product of your environment, why do not you go out and condone zina and booze?
    because it's against Islam, just because your a product of your environment doesn't mean you adopt all the negatives ... how could you even ask that question when you already know the answer. Listen I am not advocating celebrating new years, Nor will I be "celebrating" it. But I don't see any harm in adopting western traditions if they by no means are contradicting our beliefs/values/morals. The "new year" is just a "new year" according to a type of calendar. since we live in north america and live day to day lives based on the Gregorian calendar, it makes sense to accept this as the NEW YEAR.. and if people want to get together, celebrate, have dinner whatever the case maybe , so be it.

As I'm typing this Im also hearing fireworks on TV...guess where from..PAKISTAN. Why? You're saying it as if it's bad that Muharram gets publicity. It SHOULD, because is pure by nature and it has relevance to our religion.
    Yes I got these emails to from Pakistan from cousins etc. The reason being is because the majority of the world has accepted the Gregorian calendar as a "standard".

And I don't know what made you think that if Muhurrum got more publicity it's a bad thing. I don't think it would be bad at all, if it got more publicity. GREAT!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's the way it was said, or at least how it came off to me :/.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by syed1 View Post
    because it's against Islam, just because your a product of your environment doesn't mean you adopt all the negatives ... how could you even ask that question when you already know the answer. Listen I am not advocating celebrating new years, Nor will I be "celebrating" it. But I don't see any harm in adopting western traditions if they by no means are contradicting our beliefs/values/morals. The "new year" is just a "new year" according to a type of calendar. since we live in north america and live day to day lives based on the Gregorian calendar, it makes sense to accept this as the NEW YEAR.. and if people want to get together, celebrate, have dinner whatever the case maybe , so be it.

Yes I got these emails to from Pakistan from cousins etc. The reason being is because the majority of the world has accepted the Gregorian calendar as a "standard".

And I don't know what made you think that if Muhurrum got more publicity it's a bad thing. I don't think it would be bad at all, if it got more publicity. GREAT!
    How many people "just" have dinner? The kuffar get drunk/high and God knows what else on new years. And sadly its not the non muslims who partake in this behaviour but muslims here as well.The months of the gregorian calendar are named after some kind of god, it's origins are all paganistic. Fireworks are used as means to "scare" off the evil spirits, originally. I can understand u have no choice to use the gregorian calendar when living in the west but what's the excuse in a muslim country? What's the excuse for celebrating New Years in Muslim countries, when it's all come out of the West?

It's stupid, that's all I know.
    Last edited by Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн; 12-31-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Coz I can! =D
    | Likes marwen liked this post

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Beardo's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Weirdo + Beard = Beardo
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I wrote an entire blog post on this

http://invalidtruth.com/blog/new-year-resolutions/

*personal plug*

But I don't believe in resolutions. I believe in the here and now. Never delay doing a good thing.
    chat Quote

~Zaria~'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hmm....I think one of the resolutions we can make is to avoid adoptiing the ways of the kuffar.....

Yes, we follow Gregorian calender.
    Because - we HAVE to.....we have no choice.

But, this is where it should begin, and this is where it should end for us.
    January 1st - is just a day, like any other - to a Muslim.

To the kuffar - January 1st - is a day for partying, getting drunk and having a good time.....by any means necessary in most cases.
    And in the midst of all this stupor - to try and reflect on the past God-forsaken year, and then try to make some 'resolution' to try harder in the next year......
    But first, lets get drunk, high and way-ward before the clock strikes 12!

Brother, I understand the meaning behind this thread.
    Please do not get me wrong.

I just think that perhaps its wrong timing......

Also, if we, as muslims, want to resolve to make any changes in our lives - we should do it NOW.
    In fact 'now' is already too late.....we should have done it yesterday, if not last year......

Life is fleeting by.
    Here today, gone tomorrow.

So, if you wish to make any changes - make sure your intention is sincere, that you are doing so for the pleasure of Allah (subhanawata ála)......and make that change NOW.....even if its still 31 December

Salaam
    chat Quote

~Zaria~'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Just read something insightful on FB (.....ok, so i still go there from time to time.....):

Non Muslims - NEW Year & More SINS to Discover in Dunya

Muslims - FEW Years & NEW DEEDS to Earn In Dunya

Alhamdulillah, for our Imaan!
    | Likes marwen liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto View Post
    That's what the khatib said in a juma'ah khutbah.
    Who? In Indonesia? =D

chat Quote

♥ Sofia ♥'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

can't stand relying on a calendar to change my ways... any changes i need to make will be down to myself and allah (swt) and will insha'Allah be made asap!
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Tyrion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Uhm, if you don't like new years, or the idea of Muslims using the gregorian calender, then get out of this thread. Does everything have to turn into an argument about following "kuffar" ways? Seriously, lets just stick to the topic and share new years resolutions.
    | Likes IslamicRevival, peace_maker, syed1 liked this post
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! What is your new year resolution? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. What is your new year resolution?