× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 13 of 13 visibility 2001

Quitting COLD TURKEY

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Quitting COLD TURKEY

Report bad ads?

Assalamu Alaikum

Some people think quitting cold turkey isnt a good idea but I happen to strongly thnk its the ONLY WAY to truelly quit anything.

If you cant quit cold turkey you most likely cant quit

for those who dont know what cold turkey means and think im actually talking about cold turkey and why on earth would that be difficult to quit then COLD TURKEY means quitting something AT ONCE and never going back to it rather then taking small steps to quitting.
    Quitting COLD TURKEY

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    ~ Sabr ~'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Account Restricted
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Quitting COLD TURKEY

Your last sentence seriously needs some punctuation

What if it's something they have been doing they're whole life? For example, smoking. That's hard to quit. And I think that can only be done if they reduce their doses, bit by bit.

Allaahu Aalim, depends on what it is they want to quit?
    Last edited by ~ Sabr ~; 01-26-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typos
    Quitting COLD TURKEY

“Indeed the patient will be given their reward without account.” :love:
    { Qur’aan, Chapter 39, Verse 10 }
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ I've thought about it a lot and I think reducing doses increases temptation.

thoughts?
    Quitting COLD TURKEY

-
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Restricted
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I wouldn't know, I've never smoked. Lol.

I mean if you put it in the context of music, let's say, then your theory sort of works.
    Because I've been through that - was hard to quit bit by bit, because the more you listen to one song, then stop, then listen again, you never stop. Then it's hard altogether, and you never stop.
    Quitting COLD TURKEY

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    'Abd-al Latif's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    CagePrisoners.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim View Post
    Assalamu Alaikum

Some people think quitting cold turkey isnt a good idea but I happen to strongly thnk its the ONLY WAY to truelly quit anything.

for those who dont know what cold turkey means and think im actually talking about cold turkey and why on earth would that be difficult to quit then COLD TURKEY means quitting something AT ONCE and never going back to it rather then taking small steps to quitting.
    It isn't recommended for everything. It can cause a relapse because its pulling someone out of their comfort zone. Sometimes taking it one step at a time is the best way. Very few people actually have the determination and will to quit cold turkey.
    | Likes ~ Sabr ~, Abz2000 liked this post
    Quitting COLD TURKEY

And verily for everything that a slave loses there is a substitute, but the one who loses Allah will never find anything to replace Him.”
    [Related by Ibn al-Qayyim in ad-Dâ' wad-Dawâ Fasl 49]

chat Quote

Paprika's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    I'm not from Pakistan!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't even eat turkey, hot or cold, so no neeed to quit:zip:
    | Likes Abz2000 liked this post
    chat Quote

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It depends on the situation and it depends on the types of addiction.
    For persons with strong personality and strong will, quitting cold turkey is the best idea. But you need to replace the time/energy with something else positive, otherwise you can go to relapse. Well, any method does not guarantee someone not going into relapse.
    But in general, I agree that cold turkey should be attempted as the first choice.
    | Likes ~ Sabr ~ liked this post
    Quitting COLD TURKEY

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't even eat turkey, hot or cold, so no neeed to quit
    ^ yeah sure i bet your eating cold turkey right now you addict !!

i kid i kid
    Quitting COLD TURKEY

-
    -
    chat Quote

~Zaria~'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu-alaikum,

I think that while it is best to quit cold turkey on MOST things that are haraam and harmful to us.......there are a few exceptions.

eg. a drug addict, an alcoholic.
    It can actually be harmful for some who have developed dependance on these substances, to quit suddenly.
    In fact - the body can revolt so extremely - that the person goes through a period of withdrawal - which in some cases can be life-threathening, e.g Delirium tremens of an alcoholic.
    (of course - this depends on the level of addiction and dependance.)

In all other matters - quitting the habit completely once and for all - is the best solution.

e.g quitting music (as mentioned above), watching TV, negative on-line habits, adultery, fornication, etc.....

And the ONLY way this becomes easier, is if you are taking this path for the right reasons.
    If someone is trying to give up a bad habit - to please others......this may be possible, but the chances of relapsing is that much higher.

But, if someone is changing his way of life - for the pleasure and love of Allah, and His nabi (sallalahu alaihi wasalam)......for not wanting to cause displeasure to his creator any longer.....because he is deeply regretful, and fears the consequences of his actions greatly - then can there be any better reason?

Then, there is no question of trying to quit one step at a time.
    It then becomes an Immediate and conscious effort to fight his own desires and cravings for this purpose.

And, man is weak.....and he may fall into error again......
    But: He does not lose hope of the mercy and forgiveness of Allah (subhanawata'ala) - he turns in repentance, and trys harder the next time round.....

Salaam
    | Likes IbnAbdulHakim, ~ Sabr ~, Abz2000 liked this post
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Restricted
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ Best reply on this thread, MashaAllaah.
    Quitting COLD TURKEY

chat Quote

Crystal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't think it is the only way to truly quit anything...everybody is different and some people don't have a lot of self discipline and therefore find it harder to quit anything at once but that doesn't mean they won't eventually quit. I think it has a lot to do with the mind and how dependent a person is on something. I do admire people who can quit things suddenly though and never look back
    Quitting COLD TURKEY

Knowledge is emancipation
    chat Quote

joyous fairy's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim View Post
    Assalamu Alaikum

That made me laugh.

I dont think it is the ONLY way but it is a good way. I think when people make an intention to stop something, then they are more likely to be able to stop doing that thing and especially if they make dua to stop.

Music for instance, I found it easy to quit, COLD TURKEY style

Some people, however, get stressed about certain things and use the 'addiction' to forget or to control their stress. I know of lots of people who listen to music to calm themselves down when they are angry/frustrated. Now, say if they want to quit but find it difficult and then one day they do it Cold Turkey style, they might get even more stressed because they are trying to avoid it when a situation occurs where they become angry/stressed. They might turn to something even more addictive/harmful like smoking/drugs.

I suppose it depends on the persons personality as well because some people worry/stress a lot about things and then need means to relieve that stress and if they have been doing something from a young age, it will be harder for them to quit.

oh: I dont even know if that makes sense and I dont even know why I kept talking about stress lol, but anyway thats my opinion.
    chat Quote

serena77's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i have found that a lot of things... changing them... stopping behaviors ... etc.... there's several ways to stop and not everyone is going to be use the same way. Its the same for other things too... not everyone learns the same way...etc. doesn't mean the other things are wrong.. just means everyone is different....
    Salaams
    Serena
    | Likes ~ Sabr ~ liked this post
    chat Quote

17. Hide
Hey there! Quitting COLD TURKEY Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Quitting COLD TURKEY