× Register Login What's New! Contact us

View Poll Results: What is a natural born American citizen?

Voters
11. Login to vote on this poll
  • Being born to American citizens on US territory inluding embassies in other countries

2 18.18%
  • Being born to American citizens regardless of where the parents were at the time

4 36.36%
  • Both parents having American birth cetificates

0 0%
  • Other

1 9.09%
  • Combination of two or more

4 36.36%
Results 1 to 13 of 13 visibility 2583

What do you think "natural born American citizen" means

Darth Ultor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Not sure if this has been done before. One of the requirements to be a Presidential candidate here is a very broad term in the Constitution that says they must be natural born American citizens. This year, I discovered that the states apparently define this term according to their own laws. In one state (forgot which), a judge actually considered not putting Obama on the ballot because his father was Kenyan. Try figuring that third to last poll option out and make sense of it. Obama was born in Hawaii to a very American mother. When I last looked, Hawaii was a US state by 1961 and had been US territory for decades before.

I'm stuck between options one and two. If both parents currently bear American citizenship, regardless of whether they were born here or not, their kids should be considered "natural born". I think I'll go with option 1 just for convenience purposes for the candidates. To show that all their documentation is from the US.
    Last edited by Darth Ultor; 04-07-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: What do you think "natural born American citizen" means

Which policy that used to determine US citizenship for new born baby? Jus Soli, or Jus Sanguinis.

Jus Soli = is a right by which nationality or citizenship can be recognized to any individual born in the territory of the related state.

Jus Sanguinis = is a social policy by which citizenship is not determined by place of birth but by having one or both parent who are citizens of the nation.
    chat Quote

Who Am I?'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I've always thought it to mean anyone who was born on US soil to parents who were US citizens.

Being born in the USA should not automatically make you a citizen if your parents are not citizens.
    | Likes Sunnie Ameena liked this post
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam,

I think people who want to stay in a country permanently should be allowed to become citizens. Don't know why some people dislike immigrants becoming citizens.
    | Likes Sunnie Ameena liked this post

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

an american citizen who had a normal birth :x
    | Likes Banu_Hashim, Insaanah, GuestFellow liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ Salaam,

What she said.
    | Likes Snowflake liked this post

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos View Post
    Salaam,

I think people who want to stay in a country permanently should be allowed to become citizens. Don't know why some people dislike immigrants becoming citizens.
    It's not immigration that most people have a problem with. It's ILLEGAL immigration that people get upset about. The (mainly Mexican) immigrants that sneak across the border undocumented are the ones most people dislike. The perception in the media and society at large is that they are cheating the system by collecting welfare benefits and not contributing anything to society by having a job and earning a living.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Who Am I? View Post
    It's not immigration that most people have a problem with. It's ILLEGAL immigration that people get upset about. The (mainly Mexican) immigrants that sneak across the border undocumented are the ones most people dislike. The perception in the media and society at large is that they are cheating the system by collecting welfare benefits and not contributing anything to society by having a job and earning a living.
    Salaam,

I personally do not like to label a human being as illegal. Humans want to survive. I think the law should be changed to suit this basic instinct.

I don't care about illegal immigration in the UK. As for these people cheating the system, I'm more concerned about the British government reckless spending and their crazy, psychotic support for all these wars, costing us billions.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos View Post
    Salaam,

I personally do not like to label a human being as illegal. Humans want to survive. I think the law should be changed to suit this basic instinct.

I don't care about illegal immigration in the UK. As for these people cheating the system, I'm more concerned about the British government reckless spending and their crazy, psychotic support for all these wars, costing us billions.
    You could say the same about the US government as well.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    smile's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

being white american ...

Wathinta umfazi Wathinta umbokodo
    No road is too long with good company
    -Turkish Proverb

Africa is the poorest and richest continent

GO BAFANA BAFANA!;D
    chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

A natural-born American citizen is one with an American flag instead of an umbilical cord.

Any other definition is simply un-American.
    chat Quote

Banu_Hashim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

lol, some funny responses. I was born overseas with American citizenship. So, I can't become President? darn. I think I'll live.

‘Say: If the ocean were ink wherewith to write out the words of my Lord, sooner would the ocean be exhausted, even if We added another ocean like it.’~Al Qu'raan (18:109)

2533160 1 - What do you think "natural born American citizen" means
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Inquilaab View Post
    lol, some funny responses. I was born overseas with American citizenship. So, I can't become President? darn. I think I'll live.
    Last year when I turned 35, someone remarked to me that I was now old enough to run for President. I simply replied that I was not interested in the job.
    chat Quote

17. Hide
Hey there! What do you think "natural born American citizen" means Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. What do you think "natural born American citizen" means