× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 14 of 14 visibility 3839

Do you believe in "speed reading"?

Ramadan90's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

I have always had a problem with this "skill" and what it actually can do. I believe that speed reading leads to lack of deep understanding about a topic/subject, not learning vocabularies, phrases, expressions etc. Analytical reading is very important. Yes, speed reading could be useful when you are reading newspaper, magazines etc but other than that I do not see the hype about it. What is your take on this?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    'Abd-al Latif's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    CagePrisoners.com
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Do you believe in "speed reading"?

Speed reading is for academic reading. Leisure reading is usually slower.

Students are required to complete a great amount of reading per semester; it is to read blocks of words than to read word from word in order to be able to get through the reading quicker. I've made a post about speed reading on my thread http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...-why-read.html.

Have a look at it, it'll answer your question.
    Last edited by 'Abd-al Latif; 04-13-2012 at 08:30 PM.

And verily for everything that a slave loses there is a substitute, but the one who loses Allah will never find anything to replace Him.”
    [Related by Ibn al-Qayyim in ad-Dâ' wad-Dawâ Fasl 49]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif View Post

Speed reading is for academic reading. Leisure reading is usually slower.

Students are required to complete a great amount of reading per semester; it is to read blocks of words than to read word from word in order to be able to get through their reading quicker.
    Reading fast enough to comprehend what you are reading is ideal and very good, but sadly people I know(med students in my class for example) who use this does not even remember what they have read. Do not understand me wrong, to read faster is something good but if you cannot even understand or remember what you just have read then it is a problem. I think people should be encouraged to re-read, analyze, recall and read in a moderate pace, so one at least can understand and remember what actually has been read. And I am talking about challenging texts or books. It is very understandable to use speed reading when reading newspaper and other simple text as I mentioned.
    Last edited by Ramadan90; 04-13-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    | Likes Scimitar liked this post
    chat Quote

TrueStranger's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Karin Rika
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Is it worse than academic reading, where most academic writers provide adequate information in the first paragraph(s) and last paragraph(s) of the reading.

70:28 Lo! the doom of their Lord is that before which none can feel secure
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

LOL, they do but not all academic texts/books. And one should be able to read critically and analyzing challenging books/text without adequate information.
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam,

Well take your time. I tend to skim read pages to get an idea what the chapter is about and then read it back slowly. By slowly, I make notes whilst reading.

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

WhoIsDaveGalt's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Very interesting subject! The problem with "Speed Reading" is defining what 'reading' really means. I think most people would say reading means 'understanding' text, not just recognizing or pronouncing words. This means you can't count 'skimming' as reading. You can't even count the amazing feats of those rare idiot-savants who can read extremely fast and then even 'remember' everything word-for-word... because these poor people usually do not truly 'understand' what they have read.

So... what people really want is "Speed Comprehension", not speed reading. Anything less is a waste of their time.

The good news is everyone definitely CAN learn to read faster (and I mean actually understanding what they read) if they learn to read IDEAS rather than just words. Ideas usually involve small groups of words together. These word-groups are the 'thoughtunits' which whole sentences are often made up of. The way to learn this is to practice seeing whole meaningful word-groups at a time as meaningful ideas. If you learn to do this, you can actually skip hearing the sounds of words, and go straight to reading ideas.

The whole speed reading industry has been tarnished from many exaggerated and misleading claims, and it has suffered a lot of skepticism from disappointed students. But much of their problem stems from this misunderstanding about what is really meant by the words 'reading' and 'comprehension'. If you are interested in this subject, you can check out a blog on this subject at thoughtunit.com.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. Reading is so important, now more than ever. And thank you Adb-al Latif for that terrific blog article. Very interesting and very inspiring. I really think that reading is the only way to cut through the fog of this increasingly complicated world.
    | Likes Muhaba, GuestFellow liked this post
    chat Quote

WhoIsDaveGalt's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by WhoIsDaveGalt View Post
    thoughtunit.com
    Whoops. That should be thoughtunits.com
    chat Quote

~ Sabr ~'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Account Restricted
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You have to speed read, otherwise if you're reading the harry potter book (last 1), instead of taking you 4 hours it would take you 6/7.
    Do you believe in &quot;speed reading&quot;?

“Indeed the patient will be given their reward without account.” :love:
    { Qur’aan, Chapter 39, Verse 10 }
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Pagan
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Dude i read almost 400 words a minute, and can fully understand. I was fastest reader in all my schools and i NEVER! Got a single answer wrong in word breakdowns. We used them in sentences and definitions and i NEVER lost one.
    chat Quote

Muhaba's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    فصبرٌ جميلٌ
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

this speed reading thing is interesting. i used it to read some of the above longer posts and got through them quickly.usually when i see longer posts, i just skip them.
    chat Quote

Abz2000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Abz Iz Back!!!
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    Jesus: tawheed + jihad summed up:---------- 28And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? *----------- 29And Jesus answered him, ---------- The first of all the commandments*is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: -------- 30And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, ---------- and with all thy soul, ----------and with all thy mind, --------and with all thy strength:---------- this*is*the first commandment.------------ Mark 12:28-30
    chat Quote

Scimitar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    format_quote Originally Posted by Al-manar;n1821848
    In one hand ,The Jews waited a great military conquering king who would lead them out of political bondage, who would certainly get All Israelites back to their homeland ,and during his reign There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease etc....
    Having(jesus) come and gone without any of those been materialized ,but exactly the contrary (the Jews been defeated and expelled) , christians invented the theory of the suffering messiah ,and the notion of his contemporary coming in their generation to fulfill the prophecies .... a notion that days proved how it is false ......
    Where did the Jews get the idea that they were wating for such a figure? I suspect they were measuring Jesus pbuh up against Cyrus the Persian, who was also hailed by the Jews as the messiah. And so the comparison was met.

Cyrus freed the Jews from enslavement of Bukht Nasser (nebuchadnezzar) the Babylonian King Tyrant. And Cyrus returned the Jews back to Jerusalem, and even commissioned the rebuilding of the temple of Solomon.

Yet, the Jews denied Jesus pbuh and they tried to crucify him, but as a Muslim I believe that Allah didnt allow that to happen, and as a way of warning for the breaking of the covenant, Allah destroyed the temple.

They didn't understand that Jesus was indeed the messiah they were waiting for.

And Allah knows best.

Scimi
    chat Quote

letusreason's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    format_quote Originally Posted by Tasnym;n100912
    In the Bible (Luc 19.27), Jesus (as) said :
    " Bring my enemies here and kill them in front of me "

I can't put the vid ( 2mns) here.
    Typing " Un prêtre se tape la honte de sa vie lors d'un débat télévisé " on youtube, in english (with french sustitle for me)

It's not jihad.
    chat Quote

18. Hide
Hey there! Do you believe in &quot;speed reading&quot;? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Do you believe in &quot;speed reading&quot;?