× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 12 of 12 visibility 2605

Skim Reading - Bad Habit?

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Assalamu Alaikum

Recently I have gotten into the habit of skim reading pretty much everything I read (Except Quran and Hadith). For example if I pick up a news paper, or read an article, or find a leaflet or even the job notes at my work place (because the job comes down with a list of notes which must be taken into consideration) I keep skimming everything.

Im just wondering if skimming has any bad affects? I tried google it but couldnt find anything.

The only thing is I might be missing out on a lot of information lol.

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Ramadan90's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Skim Reading - Bad Habit?

Internet transforms the way we think and manage information. Our ability to focus on one thing over an extended period of time shortens the more we are online. We are bombarded with information all the time and that weaken your ability to focus and reed deeper. But one part of the brain that makes decisions for example is getting better(should I click this link or that?). I would say that it not not worth it though. We are losing an invalueable skill.
    Last edited by Ramadan90; 07-09-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    | Likes Abz2000 liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

by "read deeper" you mean to be able to understand, comprehend and contemplate over what we read?

That was my fear, I am seriously considering from now on reading very little, very slowly.

-
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You know what it feels like now when I read? Its like my eyes are constantly trying to move ahead when my brain hasnt even finished digesting.

-
    -
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    PouringRain's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Skimming is ever increasing caused by the fact that we have so much information being thrown at us on a daily basis. We simply do not have time to read everything, so we skim. We may read a headline, or a first line, and then skim down to the end, where we then hunt for the conclusion or bottom line. The bad thing is that often we may be missing valuable information. How many times have you had someone reply to an e-mail, and it is clear from their reply that they never read yours? Or maybe you have been the one to reply to someone after not having read theirs?

There is nothing wrong with skimming things, but use discernment on what is important enough to read and what is not. In a business situation, you may want to actually read rather than skim.

I bolded some things just in case you decided to skim my post. It will jump out at you and you will not miss it.

My soul waits silently for God;
    From Him comes my salvation.

Psalm 62:1
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim View Post
    You know what it feels like now when I read? Its like my eyes are constantly trying to move ahead when my brain hasnt even finished digesting.
    Try reading out loud. It will force you to slow down and actually read. There are actually benefits to reading out loud.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ yes lol thats another thing (I read all your post btw )

another thing is everyone now feels the need to bold and italicise and underline their writing so that what they really want to say isnt missed. I do it myself so much. We always put emphasis in the fear of the skim reader

-
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain View Post
    Try reading out loud. It will force you to slow down and actually read. There are actually benefits to reading out loud.

but I dont like sounding like a weirdo

-
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ yes lol thats another thing (I read all your post btw )

another thing is everyone now feels the need to bold and italicise and underline their writing so that what they really want to say isnt missed. I do it myself so much. We always put emphasis in the fear of the skim reader
    I bolded it as a joke, but you are correct. People do all sorts of things to make certain parts stand out so that the skim reader will not miss those key points. I don't know that I would call it fear of the skim reader. More like, for the ease of the skim reader. It is like saying that if there is ONE thing to take away, then pay attention to this highlighted/underlined/bolded/italicized/pinkstriped part.

but I dont like sounding like a weirdo
    Once upon a time all reading was done out loud.

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Alpha Dude's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Cold of heart
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I do it all the time. I'm sure a lot of people do. I skim read all the posts in this thread.

Sometimes you can get the gist of what someone is trying to say without needing to read or listen to every word either in written or spoken communication.

Only when someone says something interesting, I feel motivated enough to hang on every word in case I don't miss anything. Other times, I get bored. Especially when someone draws out a long sentence but what they say has no value.
    | Likes Endymion liked this post
    chat Quote

dqsunday's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Skimming over something is basically just doing a quick scan to get the gist of the content. I really don't feel it has anything to do with the internet, or using computers etc.

The only down side, is if you skim over something you can and do, miss out on all contents of that block of text. Its also a quick way to determine if something is worth reading more closely. Often, the first line of a paragraph and the last is all that is really needed to get the gist of the paragraph 'message'. Assuming of course the paragraph is written with proper grammar. Seen many people write huge paragraphs...yet grammatically, it should be several paragraphs. So skimmy shortcuts don't always work as well, especially when reading unedited content.

Overall, I am far more worried about the use of excessive 'netspeak' and 'text message shortforms'.
    chat Quote

Endymion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Spring and Roses.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

My thoughts exactly image005 1 - Skim Reading - Bad Habit?

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude View Post
    I do it all the time. I'm sure a lot of people do. I skim read all the posts in this thread.

Sometimes you can get the gist of what someone is trying to say without needing to read or listen to every word either in written or spoken communication.

Only when someone says something interesting, I feel motivated enough to hang on every word in case I don't miss anything. Other times, I get bored. Especially when someone draws out a long sentence but what they say has no value.

أَسْلَمْتُ لِرَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ

400W91 1 - Skim Reading - Bad Habit?
    chat Quote

16. Hide
Hey there! Skim Reading - Bad Habit? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Skim Reading - Bad Habit?