× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 66 visibility 13123

Squirrel trouble

'Abd-al Latif's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    CagePrisoners.com
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Squirrel trouble

Report bad ads?

How does one get rid of squirrels in one's back garden?

I've got bird feeders placed in my back garden and the squirrels eat up all the seeds and nuts for themselves. I've tried putting chilli powder on the bird food (seeing as birds don't have taste buds and the chilli won't effect them) as a deterrent to drive them away. This worked for a couple of days until the squirrel learnt to throw the seeds/nuts in the water to knock off all the chilli before eating it.

Since they see food in my garden everyday they've now gotten aggressive. They have now begun to chase after any and every bird that comes to my garden lest it tries to eat the food.

I dont want squirrels in my garden and I want to get rid of them.

It's very frustrating to have them finish all the bird food. Sometimes I really like feel creeping up on one and kicking it over the moon!

Any money-saving advice? Aarrrggghhhh!
    Last edited by 'Abd-al Latif; 08-15-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    Squirrel trouble

And verily for everything that a slave loses there is a substitute, but the one who loses Allah will never find anything to replace Him.”
    [Related by Ibn al-Qayyim in ad-Dâ' wad-Dawâ Fasl 49]

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Squirrel trouble

lol how cute.. but I understand they're pests.. in fact to rodents they belong so how about some mouse traps?
    Squirrel trouble

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Squirrel trouble

chat Quote

brightness_1
    CagePrisoners.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال View Post
    lol how cute.. but I understand they're pests.. in fact to rodents they belong so how about some mouse traps?
    Where will I discard them? Unfortunately squirrels are intelligent () and they have a way of finding their way back to places.
    Squirrel trouble

And verily for everything that a slave loses there is a substitute, but the one who loses Allah will never find anything to replace Him.”

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif View Post
    Where will I discard them? Unfortunately squirrels are intelligent () and they have a way of finding their way back to places.
    That's the great thing about mouse traps now a days.. they just go in and the door closes in behind them bwahahahahahaha..
    at any rate.. put it where they go to eat.. put the seeds they like inside the traps if you have to and they'll go have a nice last meal and go to sleep..
    | Likes tango92 liked this post
    Squirrel trouble

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Squirrel trouble

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

here are some I found with good ratings:

http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1078-...squirrel+traps

and

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstream-Black-Hole-Rodent-Trap/dp/B0007O24US/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1343679908&sr=8-12&keywords=squirrel+traps

I don't think they're as smart as all that.. they're rodents after all..

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Squirrels in 24 hours, July 7, 2012
    By
    Monica (MA) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: Black Hole Rodent Trap (Kitchen)
    It works. It just works. Bait it with sunflower seeds and put it where the rodents play. Poor things....they're so stupid. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Report abuse | Permalink
    Comment Comment

Squirrel trouble

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have to admit I have been reading some of the reviews and they're absolutely hilarious.. they almost all sound as mad as you're in your initial post
    | Likes Salahudeen liked this post
    Squirrel trouble

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wa alaikum asalaam,

We saw one a few weeks ago eating up our unripe figs, my mother was not happy, but I convinced her to leave it...hope a whole family of 'em don't land up in our backyard tho.

You most probably have to go with a trap or with those pellets that are poisonous. And then let your backyard turn into a squirrel cemetery. Ouch, so cruel.

Good luck sneaking up on a squirrel tho, that would be priceless.
    | Likes جوري, 'Abd-al Latif liked this post
    Squirrel trouble

"...You are my Walî in this world and in the Hereafter. Cause me to die as a Muslim, and join me with the righteous." [Surah Yusuf 101]
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by BlissfullyJaded View Post
    You most probably have to go with a trap or with those pellets that are poisonous. And then let your backyard turn into a squirrel cemetery. Ouch, so cruel.

Good luck sneaking up on a squirrel tho, that would be priceless.
    lol I love the way you did that.. you shed a tear at the burial and then perked right up ...
    Squirrel trouble

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well, life goes on right? Can't mourn over 'em foreverr.

I feel psycho now for perking up so fast.
    Squirrel trouble

"...You are my Walî in this world and in the Hereafter. Cause me to die as a Muslim, and join me with the righteous." [Surah Yusuf 101]
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Abz2000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Abz Iz Back!!!
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

lol, that's ur opportunity to let them eat too, there's a reward in every moist liver
    i was once walking thru a park and saw a squirrel that just walked up to me so i offered it some food and it took it out of my hand and just sat in front of me holding it with both hands and nibbling it,
    you don't want birds stuck in your mouse trap too do you?
    plus the squirrel will curse you as it dies a slow death just coz it was hungry
    | Likes sister herb, Scimitar, Kei liked this post
    Squirrel trouble

2dvls74 1 - Squirrel trouble

2vw9341 1 - Squirrel trouble

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000 View Post
    lol, that's ur opportunity to let them eat too, there's a reward in every moist liver
    i was once walking thru a park and saw a squirrel that just walked up to me so i offered it some food and it took it out of my hand and just sat in front of me holding it with both hands and nibbling it,
    ummmmmm.. wild things carry bees and disease.. rabies and such especially those awful rodents.. God I hate rodents, they're only cute in the cartoons. Please stay away from critters and keep your children away from them too unless they've been seen by a vet and given the clear..
    you worry me sometimes..
    Squirrel trouble

chat Quote

Scimitar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Leave a bag of peanuts in one corner of the garden for them, get the cheap brand

Also, hang the bird feed cages from coat hanger wire (squirrels won't eat thru that coz it's not string - therefore not causing the feed cage to fall)... might do the trick.

You can also http://www.primrose.co.uk/pest-contr...FcQNfAodbTYADQ loool. I'm impressed

Scimi

EDIT: get a cat, train it catch rodents
    Last edited by Scimitar; 07-31-2012 at 03:34 AM.
    Squirrel trouble

15noje9 1 - Squirrel trouble
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Oh sis, admit it, squirrels are cute! Adorable! In real life, not just in cartoons.

Although I wouldn't actually let it eat from my hand, I'd be kinda scared it'll go to eat off my finger. And they have scary claws. I'd stand far enough to take some nice pictures of it tho, which I have done before at the park, was surprised it didn't run away from me.

Anyyways, the cat idea is a good idea!
    Squirrel trouble

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by BlissfullyJaded View Post
    Oh sis, admit it, squirrels are cute! Adorable! In real life, not just in cartoons.

Although I wouldn't actually let it eat from my hand, I'd be kinda scared it'll go to eat off my finger. And they have scary claws. I'd stand far enough to take some nice pictures of it tho, which I have done before at the park, was surprised it didn't run away from me.

Anyyways, the cat idea is a good idea!
    I was just talking to a friend of mine who is really into bugs and birds.. two things I really dislike well except for dragon flies but from far away - I can't relate to the affinity folks have for critters.. They annoy and disgust me.. so yeah curses!
    Squirrel trouble

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    ~Zaria~'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif View Post

I've got bird feeders placed in my back garden and the squirrels eat up all the seeds and nuts for themselves. I've tried putting chilli powder on the bird food (seeing as birds don't have taste buds and the chilli won't effect them) as a deterrent to drive them away. This worked for a couple of days until the squirrel learnt to throw the seeds/nuts in the water to knock off all the chilli before eating it.
    Wa-alaikumsalam,

SubhanAllah!

How clever these little creatures can be!

format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال View Post
    Awww.....dont kill ' em!

They're just...... teeny, weeny, cuddly, cutie-pies!

Naughty babies ok? : )

Have mercy!

Put up some spinning wheels in the garden, so they can play too! lol : )

I found this for you bro 'Abd-al Latif:

Tips to Squirrel-Proof a Birdfeeder

There are several ways to make a birdfeeder less accessible to squirrels without restricting its appeal to the birds. For the best results, try several methods to squirrel-proof a birdfeeder.

• Location: Squirrels can jump distances of 10 feet or greater, so place feeders well away from trees, wires, porches and other launching points to make it more difficult for squirrels to get on the feeder. Ideally, mount birdfeeders on a smooth metal pole at least six feet high, and prune any branches or bushes within a 12 foot radius.
    • Cages: Place a wire cage around a birdfeeder that squirrels will not fit through but with openings that will not restrict smaller birds from feeding. This is also useful for preventing larger birds, such as starlings and pigeons, from accessing the feeder. Some feeders come equipped with these cages, or you can easily add mesh to an existing feeder.
    • Baffles: Add smooth plastic or metal baffles above and below birdfeeders. The baffles should be at least 15 inches wide and sloped to prevent squirrels from reaching around them. Many of these squirrel baffles are designed to twirl or tilt if a squirrel climbs onto them, keeping the animal off balance and unable to access the feeder.
    • Cleanliness: Keep the area around the feeder clean and remove debris and spilled seed from the ground that could be attracting squirrels. This also ensures the birds do not eat old or rotting seed that could be unhealthy.
    • Spinners: Hang a feeder from a thin horizontal wire strung with spinners to keep squirrels from climbing across the wire. Spinners may be a line of thread spools, short lengths of pipe or hose, or empty plastic soda bottles strung along the wire that will spin and keep squirrels from accessing the feeder.
    • Feeder Style: If you need to replace feeders that squirrels have destroyed, opt for specially designed birdfeeders with doors that will be trigged by a squirrel’s weight to close and restrict access to seed. Alternatively, choose metal feeders that squirrels will be less able to chew through.
    • Seed: While squirrels will readily sample most types of birdseed, they are less attracted to nyger and safflower seed. By using these seeds exclusively, you close the squirrel snack bar without eliminating feeding the birds.
    • Spicy Seed: Mammals, including squirrels, are sensitive to the perceived heat of peppers, but birds are not. Adding cayenne pepper or similar spices to birdseed can deter squirrels, but it can wash off and must be used consistently for the best effects. When handling pepper, be sure wear gloves and avoid breathing in the dust. Some retailers have pre-treated seed available, but it should be treated just as cautiously.
    • Traps: If squirrels are a strong nuisance at your backyard feeders, contact local wildlife control authorities about the possibility of using humane traps to remove squirrels from the area. Local regulations on this will vary.

What You Shouldn’t Do

While it can be frustrating to try several squirrel-proofing methods only to see seed continually disappear, there are certain techniques that should never be used to control squirrels.

• Hunting: Shooting squirrels is illegal in many areas and it is too likely to also injure birds when aiming for squirrels.
    • Poison: Poisoning seed or setting poisoned bait for squirrels can result in dead birds that sample the bait as well as other affected wildlife.
    • Cats: Do not release a cat to hunt squirrels, as the cats are just as much a threat to backyard birds as they are to other feeder guests.
    • Grease: Adding grease to a pole or hanger to make it too slippery to the squirrels is not only largely ineffective, but it can coat the animals’ fur as well as birds’ feathers and cause illness and vulnerability to predators.

When All Else Fails

Even when using several techniques, it isn’t always possible to squirrel-proof a birdfeeder. If the squirrels refuse to leave, ceasing all backyard birdfeeding for several days or weeks may encourage the squirrels to move on, but it is equally likely that as soon as new feeders are put out the squirrels will return.
    Some backyard birders, instead of eliminating squirrels, compromise with them by creating a squirrel feeding station away from the birdfeeders. Easier to access feeders with tempting treats such as nuts, corn and berries may attract squirrels’ attention and let the birds enjoy their feeders without competition. This also lets backyard nature enthusiasts enjoy the intelligence and antics of squirrels without the frustration of seeing expensive birdseed eaten so quickly.
    In the end, squirrels are just as much a part of backyard wildlife as birds. While it is possible to squirrel-proof a birdfeeder and otherwise deter these visitors from frequent meals, an occasional squirrel visit is to be expected at any backyard birdfeeder.

http://birding.about.com/od/birdfeed...rooffeeder.htm
    | Likes 'Abd-al Latif liked this post
    chat Quote

Hulk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Part-time Avenger
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

But squirrels are cute!
    chat Quote

Scimitar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

So were those gremlins

Scimi
    | Likes 'Abd-al Latif, Abz2000 liked this post
    Squirrel trouble

15noje9 1 - Squirrel trouble
    chat Quote

Abz2000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Abz Iz Back!!!
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    But squirrels are cute!
    innit?

the one i fed, i think it was quivers crisps
    | Likes sister herb, 'Abd-al Latif liked this post
    Squirrel trouble

2dvls74 1 - Squirrel trouble

2vw9341 1 - Squirrel trouble

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ugh they're vile and wasteful.. Won't even eat the whole kernel!
    | Likes 'Abd-al Latif liked this post
    Squirrel trouble

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    CagePrisoners.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000 View Post
    I got the bird feeders just for this very reason: to give sadaqah by feeding birds. The problem with squirrels is that they cause general havoc in the garden and I really don't want the problem to escalate.
    Last edited by 'Abd-al Latif; 07-31-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    | Likes BlissfullyJaded liked this post
    Squirrel trouble

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Squirrel trouble Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Squirrel trouble