× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 65 visibility 10881

American Pastor partakes in the holy month of Ramadan

Signor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

An American Pastor, Reverend Wess Magruder, has decided to partake in the Muslims holy month of Ramadan this year with his Muslim friends, by fasting, praying and reading the Holy Quran.

The United Methodist has not only decided to observe the Ramadan fast this year but also to share his experience on his personal blog.

"I feel a constant “buzz” [during the fast] in my head," Magruder wrote on his blog.

"This buzz serves a useful purpose, by the way. It keeps me conscious of God, of God’s presence, of God’s will that is bursting to become real in the world. And so when something else isn’t going on in front of me, the buzz reminds me to speak to God," he added.

Magruder also wrote that he turned to the Muslim faith for inspiration since he knew that Muslims have successfully been fasting for 30 days each year during Ramadan for over fourteen hundred years.
    “I feel very happy and fortunate now,” Magruder wrote, who has succeeded in fasting from sunrise till sunset.

In his blog, Magruder invited all people of the Christian faith to try the fasting experience even for one day.

The Muslim fast is a total abstention from eating and drinking during the daylight hours. Furthermore, the fast goes beyond stomach and includes the eyes, the tongue, the ears, and all limbs which are expected to be trained to submit to the pleasure of God by refraining from ill manners and moral vice.

http://www.examiner.com/article/why-...ast-of-ramadan
    Last edited by Insaanah; 08-08-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Replaced the link with the original one for the story.
    | Likes glo, Muslim Woman, Abz2000, cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn liked this post

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: American Pastor partakes in the holy month of Ramadan

Strangely enough I started to follow his blog last week.

Here is a quote from what Reverend Wess Magrunder wrote on day 12:
    When my forehead touched the carpet on the ground, I found myself deeply awed. I was struck by my vulnerability. I was kneeling forward, head down, neck bared. There is no more vulnerable position than that.

It is a symbol of the supreme Islamic value of “submission” to God. When you are bowing in that position, you are acting the role of slave to God, the Master.
    Actually, I know about a number of non-Muslims who fast during Ramadan. Not as uncommon as people might think.
    | Likes MustafaMc, Muslim Woman, Abz2000, ~Zaria~ liked this post

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - American Pastor partakes in the holy month of Ramadan

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Insaanah's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    ★ Islam is THE way ★
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    It is a symbol of the supreme Islamic value of “submission” to God. When you are bowing in that position, you are acting the role of slave to God, the Master.
    Prostrating is the way of all the Prophets of Allah, and we follow in their footsteps and the way Allah taught them:

Qur'an

"Those were the ones upon whom Allah bestowed favor from among the prophets of the descendants of Adam and of those We carried [in the ship] with Noah, and of the descendants of Abraham and Israel, and of those whom We guided and chose. When the verses of the Most Merciful were recited to them, they fell in prostration and weeping." (19:58)

"O Mary, be devoutly obedient to your Lord and prostrate and bow down with those who bow [in prayer]." (3:43)

"...And David guessed that We had tried him, and he sought forgiveness of his Lord, and he fell down bowing [in prostration] and turned (to Allah) in repentance." (38:24)

"O you who believe! Bow down and prostrate yourselves and worship your Lord, and do good that you may succeed."-(Holy Qur'an 22:77).

Bible
    "And he (Jesus) went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed..."-(Matthew 26:39).

"And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship..."-(Joshua 5:14).

"And he (Elijah) cast himself down upon the earth, and put his face between his knees."-(1 Kings 18:42).

"And they (Moses and Aaron) fell upon their faces..."-(Numbers 20:6).

"And Abraham fell on his face..."-(Genesis 17:3).

If Christians come to Islam, they will be coming back to the original teachings Allah sent all the Prophets with, and following the original and only message fully preserved in it's final form, and closer to the teachings of Jesus (peace be upon him).

Peace.
    Last edited by Insaanah; 08-09-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spotted a typo. 2nd edit: added more Qur'anic ayaat
    | Likes ~Raindrop~, MustafaMc, glo, Abz2000, ~Zaria~, Crimson liked this post

Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").

This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)

Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)
    chat Quote

Abz2000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Abz Iz Back!!!
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

mashaAllah, even atheists are realizing the benefits of fasting:

Scientists are uncovering evidence that short periods of fasting, if properly controlled, could achieve a number of health benefits, as well as potentially helping the overweight, as Michael Mosley discovered.

The reason seems to be that when our bodies no longer have access to food they switch from "growth mode" to "repair mode".
    As levels of the IGF-1 hormone drop, a number of repair genes appear to get switched on according to ongoing research by Professor Valter Longo of the University of Southern California.

One area of current research into diet is Alternate Day fasting (ADF), involving eating what you want one day, then a very restricted diet (fewer than 600 calories) the next, and most surprisingly, it does not seem to matter that much what you eat on non-fast days.
    Dr Krista Varady of the University of Illinois at Chicago carried out an eight-week trial comparing two groups of overweight patients on ADF.
    "If you were sticking to your fast days, then in terms of cardiovascular disease risk, it didn't seem to matter if you were eating a high-fat or low-fat diet on your feed (non-fast) days," she said.
    I decided I couldn't manage ADF, it was just too impractical. Instead I did an easier version, the so-called 5:2 diet. As the name implies you eat normally 5 days a week, then two days a week you eat 500 calories if you are a woman, or 600 calories, if you are a man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

we've been advised that both of these are among the best methods 1400 years ago lol:

Chapter 32: FORBIDDANCE TO OBSERVE PERPETUAL FAST AND EXCELLENCE OF OBSERVING FAST ON ALTERNATE DAYS

Book 006, Number 2587:
    'Abdullah b. 'Amr b. al-'As reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) was informed that he could stand up for (prayer) throughout the night and observe fast every day so long as he lived. Thereupon the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Is it you who said this? I said to him: Messenger of Allah. it is I who said that. Thereupon the Messenger of Allah may peace be upon him) said: You are not capable enough to do so. Observe fast and break it; sleep and stand for prayer, and observe fast for three days during the month; for every good is multiplied ten times and this is like fasting for ever. I said: Messenger of Allah. I am capable of doing more than this. Thereupon he said: Fast one day and do not fast for the next two days. I said: Messenger of Allah, I have the strength to do more than that. The Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him), said: Fast one day and break on the other day. That is known as the fasting of David (peace be upon him) and that is the best fasting. I said: I am capable of doing more than this. Thereupon the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: There is nothing better than this. 'Abdullah b. 'Amr (Allah be pleased with them) said: Had I accepted the three days (fasting during every month) as the Messeinger of Allah (may peace be upon him) had said, it would have been more dear to me than my family and my property.

1256. Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Actions are presented on Mondays and Thursdays, so I like my actions to be presented while I am fasting." (Muslim related it without mentioning fasting.) [at-Tirmidhi]

It has been reported that the Messenger of Allah (saas) fasted the second and fifth days of the week, namely, Monday and Thursday. These two days, as the Hadith explained, are the days in which, twice weekly, the deeds are raised into the heavens and are the days of forgiveness. Abu Hurairah related the Messenger of Allah (saas) was asked why he rarely missed these two days of fasting. He replied: "Indeed, the deeds of humanity are exhibited every Monday and Thursday. Then Allah will further pardon every Muslim for every behavior, except the two believers who part from each other's company; Allah will say to the angels delay the two of them. (Ahmed)

(Imam Muslim said that in the hadith of Abu Qatada Al Ansari there is a) narration of Imam Shu'ba that he was asked about fasting on Monday and Thursday, but we (Imam Muslim) did not mention Thursday for we found it as an error (in reporting).

2dvls74 1 - American Pastor partakes in the holy month of Ramadan

2vw9341 1 - American Pastor partakes in the holy month of Ramadan

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    crimsontide06's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thats pretty cool
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Another quote from Wess Magruder's blog, posted today:

One of the reasons I decided to observe Ramadan was to stand in solidarity with the Muslims in my community, because I perceived a real, though hidden, threat against their place in our nation. I want to do so even more now, after this latest burst of violence. And I think it is my duty as a Christian leader to do so publicly.
    [...]
    Clearly, there is a strain of intolerance, mistrust, and misinformation in America towards people of the Muslim faith.
    | Likes sister herb, Scimitar, Signor liked this post

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

muslimah bird's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Another quote from Wess Magruder's blog, posted today:

Clearly, there is a strain of intolerance, mistrust, and misinformation in America towards people of the Muslim faith.

I would also say they're afraid that the spreading of islam will prevent them from enjoying all their evils
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The latest blog entry.

I still find it hard to be as giving and generous as that. I still worry about what will be left for me. I operate so much of the time from a perspective of scarcity, rather than abundance.

I am praying that during this Ramadan, I will learn to be as generous and hospitable as the many Muslims I have met over these last few weeks. I want hospitality to become a part of my own personality.
    | Likes Scimitar, ~Zaria~ liked this post

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Scimitar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

you know, the pastor is in danger of becoming a Muslim now?

If he believes in Muhammad pbuh, And Allah, and the last day, and does good deeds - he will be of the righteous Alhamdulillah...

... so many Christian pastors and priests have already embraced Islam... they became pastors and priests because of an inherent need to do good and be righteous. Along their spiritual journey, they reached a stage of understanding because Allah gave them hidayah (guidance) and they were worthy of it.

I find that these men, these ex-pastors and ex-priests, have the best understanding of the true Islam.

This is amazing.

Scimi
    | Likes sister herb, cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn liked this post

15noje9 1 - American Pastor partakes in the holy month of Ramadan
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Our vicar once told me that he agreed that there is only ONE God and that Muhammed is his messenger, and that he had debated with the local imam whether that made him a Muslim or not. The imam thought it did, the vicar thought it didn't

He continued to believe that Jesus is God incarnate ... which clearly left him outside the Muslim camp ...
    | Likes sister herb, Scimitar liked this post

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Scimitar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

a good point...

the Imam should have raised a question:

"if Jesus pbuh is God incarnate, then why did he raise Muhammad pbuh (whom you believe to be a messenger of God), to lead an entirely new nation of people to become Muslims and not Christians who believe that jesus is God?"

stumped...

Scimi
    Last edited by Scimitar; 08-11-2012 at 09:15 PM.

15noje9 1 - American Pastor partakes in the holy month of Ramadan
    chat Quote

Muhaba's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    فصبرٌ جميلٌ
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's great that nonmuslims want to experience Ramadan. I hope they are aware that a person doesn't fast if sick or travelling and women don't fast during the period or after having a baby (about 40 days). They make up for the missed fasts after Ramadan.
    Last edited by Muhaba; 08-11-2012 at 10:16 PM.

chat Quote

MustafaMc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Actually, I know about a number of non-Muslims who fast during Ramadan. Not as uncommon as people might think.
    glo, what is the nature of fasting in your church? As a Christian in college before becoming a Muslim, I had occassionally went without food for a few days with the intention of becoming closer to God through additional Bible reading. This was something I did entirely on my own and did not know of anyone else in my church who fasted.
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I am replying reluctantly, Mustafa, because I don't want to turn this into a Comparative religions topic.

To answer your questions very briefly then, different churches/denominations have quite different views and traditions relating to fasting.
    In my own church fasting is not communally practiced - except for the traditions of giving something up for the duration of Lent (the 40 days before Easter). This is done as a personal choice and decision - something which is between the person and God. Nobody dictates what you should or shouldn't give up. Indeed nobody else needs to know.

“When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."
    Personally, I have always found fasting very meaningful.
    It acts as a constant reminder of how much God blesses us.
    It helps me to be mindful of those who go hungry and suffer every day.
    I love to do it simply as my offering to God.

And yes, I have found the Islamic fasting very beneficial. Hard enough to have real meaning, but not too hard to break the faster.
    But I don't worry if I break my fast too early or if I slept too late or if I decide to have lunch with my husband instead. I just do what I can. I don't fast because I believe I will gain God's favour because of it or earn my salvation; I simply fast (as I said) as my offering and gift to God.

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Insaanah's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    ★ Islam is THE way ★
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It is a fact that much of the teachings that Allah sent Jesus (peace be upon him) with have been lost or corrupted. Thus each Christian is left working out for themselves what constitutes a fast, how to do it etc, and there is no common consensus. Surely Allah alone knows the intention that each individual has, but once the true message has reached someone many times over, in different ways and by different people, over a number of years, then even if one says that they do it to joyfully please God, works without the true faith which God makes clear, will be of no benefit in the hereafter.

But Allah, the Most Merciful, didn't leave them to continue wondering. He sent His final messenger with the final scripture, confirming the truth of what was in the earlier scriptures, preserved til the last days. It may be that some choose to reject this messenger and the message, having understood it, or some may say that they accept the message and the messenger, yet they are not prepared to give up their ways of error as made clear in the message and by the messenger. All of these have a consequence in the hereafter.

People should be under no misperception that they can commit themselves to God as their Lord, and then combine this with accepting others as their Lord, or associating others in His Divinity, or deeming certain humans to be incarnations of Him.

Our vicar once told me that he agreed that there is only ONE God and that Muhammed is his messenger, and that he had debated with the local imam whether that made him a Muslim or not. The imam thought it did, the vicar thought it didn't

He continued to believe that Jesus is God incarnate ... which clearly left him outside the Muslim camp ...
    And outside the camp of all the Prophets before Jesus, the Prophet after Jesus, and outside the camp of Jesus himself.

All the Prophets came to tell people to worship Allah alone with no associates whatsoever in His divinity, yet Jesus stands accused of telling people that he was divine, that he was God incarnate, and that people should worship him, which is the opposite of the message Allah sent all the Prophets with and that all the Prophets including Jesus taught. No Prophet before Jesus, nor after Jesus taught that any man was God incarnate or that God begot a son, and neither did Jesus himself:

It is not (possible) for any human being unto whom Allah had given the Scripture and wisdom and the prophethood that he should afterwards have said unto mankind: Be worshippers of me apart from Allah; but (what he said was): Be ye faithful servants of the Lord by virtue of your constant teaching of the Scripture and of your constant study thereof. (Qur'an 3:79)

And [beware the Day] when Allah will say, "O Jesus, Son of Mary, did you say to the people, 'Take me and my mother as deities besides Allah ?'" He will say, "Exalted are You! It was not for me to say that to which I have no right. If I had said it, You would have known it. You know what is within myself, and I do not know what is within Yourself. Indeed, it is You who is Knower of the unseen. I said not to them except what You commanded me - to worship Allah , my Lord and your Lord..." (5:116-117, part)

Islam is what all the Prophets preached, it isn't something new, which is a common misconception among non-Muslims, but it is what always was, and has always been, the true and natural religion ordained by God; the way of all the Prophets, the original message, the only message, which Jesus also brought :

He has ordained for you that religion which He enjoined upon Noah and that which We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], and what We enjoined upon Abraham and Moses and Jesus - to establish the religion and not be divided therein. Difficult for those who associate others with Allah is that to which you invite them. Allah chooses for Himself whom He wills and guides to Himself whoever turns back [to Him]. (42:13)

It clearly states that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is not the founder of any new religion, nor was any of the Prophets a founder of a separate religion, but it has been one and the same religion which all the Prophets have been presenting from Allah from the very beginning, and the same is being presented by Muhammad (peace be upon him).

Nothing is said to you, [O Muhammad], except what was already said to the messengers before you... (41:43)

And when Jesus brought clear proofs, he said, "I have come to you with wisdom and to make clear to you some of that over which you differ, so fear Allah and obey me.
    Indeed, Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him. This is a straight path."
    But the denominations from among them differed [and separated], so woe to those who have wronged from the punishment of a painful Day.
    (43:63-65)

Regardless of what the Christians might have said or done, Jesus (peace be upon him) did not lay claim to being God or the son of God, nor did he ask anyone to worship him. On the contrary, he called people exactly to what the previous Prophets had called and to which the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was calling, namely, to exclusively serve and worship the one true God.

People went to extremes both in supporting and opposing Jesus (peace be upon him). Those who opposed him went so far as to reject him and blaspheme him, branding him illegitimate. At the other end of the spectrum were those who exaggerated Jesus's status and exalted him to the point of deifying him. But then the question of how a human being could also be God became extremely complicated, with many attempts and efforts to explain it, all of which were unsatisfactory. A number of schisms and sects arose. Muslims believe in Jesus as he was, no more and no less, one the mightiest messengers of God, a sign for all the world, and one of the noblest people to ever walk the face of the earth. I invite you to join us.

I don't fast because I believe I will gain God's favour because of it or earn my salvation; I simply fast (as I said) as my offering and gift to God.
    Muslims fast to fulfil one of the five pillars of Islam, to follow the way of the previous prophets, to obey God, to seek His pleasure, amongst some of the reasons, and it is a bonus from our Generous, Merciful Lord that there is reward in it for us too.

Some non-Muslims will just see Ramadan as a compulsory fast, which either willingly or unwillingly, you have to do and there is no choice.

Ramadan is completely extraordinary, and fasting during it being compulsory or not doesn't make any difference to the joy and the hope that Muslims feels during this blessed month, the world over.

To Muslims, when it arrives, it's like a most beloved guest with you for a month. When Ramadan finishes, there is utter sadness, that the blessed month has departed, and emotional prayers are said, asking Allah to give us it's reward and to make us alive to see and take part and benefit from the next Ramadan.

Ramadan is the compulsory and well-known period of fasting that everybody knows about, however there are many optional recommended fasts on certain days, eg the six days after Eid al Fitr, Mondays and Thursdays every week, 13th-15th of every lunar month, the day of Arafah, (the day before Eid al Adha), the day Prophet Moses (peace be upon him) was saved etc.

On top of this, we fast on other days of our choosing if we want to, feel the need to, or simply wish to for Allah's sake, and many people do. These fasts are invariably kept quiet, the knowledge of it being between you and Allah alone.

So we get the best of both compulsory and optional, public and private, together and alone, as well as following in the footsteps of the earlier prophets (peace be upon them).

Peace.
    Last edited by Insaanah; 08-13-2012 at 03:41 AM.
    | Likes Muhammad, MustafaMc, Abu Zainab liked this post

Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").

This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)

Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thank you for sharing, Insaanah.

I agree that a non-Muslim's fast will always be different to a Muslim's fast - if not in how it is done, then certainly by why it is done.

But what I find fascinating is that this blog offers an insight into Wess Magrunder's reasons for fasting. His efforts may be Islamically invalid, but his intentions are good - so I am hoping that Allah appreciates his efforts anyway.
    I hope Muslims find his blog interesting to read too, and take heart because of his loving and caring intentions towards Islam.

Here is a comment a Muslim posted in response to the latest blog post:
    Dear Pastor Wes, your words and sentiments are heart touching and profound! Maintaining good neighborly relations is an important edict of Islam also. In fact Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) used to stress so much on this that his companions started to think that neighbors might be allotted a portion in the inheritance also.To quote one of his sayings Hadeeth, “Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah’s Apostle said, “Anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should not harm his neighbor, and anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should entertain his guest generously and anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should talk what is good or keep quiet (i.e. abstain from all kinds of evil and dirty talk).” – Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 8, Number 47. The Jews and the Christians are always mentioned in the Qura’n as ” People of The Book”. We are to maintain good relations with them. So you see, I have no choice but to be good and accepting of you because you are my neighbor and you are Ahl-al- Kitab (one of the People of The Book). This is part of my deen, that I dare not forget if peace and truth are to reign this world eventually insha’Allah! May God lead us towards the ultimate truth and guide us to the straight path! Ameen
    Source

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

~Zaria~'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu-alaikum and Greetings,

Sister Glo,

As you may know, the foundation of Islam is built on monotheism.
    There is absolutely no room for associating any partners to God - and doing so, is considered a transgression of the highest order.

Can you imagine being the Creator and Sustainer of a particular creation......but that very creation that You provide so much for - decides to worship your CREATION rather than their CREATOR?
    Can you imagine how that must feel?

Allah tells us in the Quraan:

"And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me." (Al-Quraan 51:56)

This is our only (real) purpose in life.

--> The worship of the One who Created us from nothing.
    Imagine: Every beat of our heart is dependant on Him <-- there is no other entity that is doing this, at this very moment in time.

The messengers from the time of Adam (alaihi salam) - were just that - messengers - with the message to worship Him ALONE.

And so, even though, as you say - the pastors intentions are good:

His efforts may be Islamically invalid, but his intentions are good - so I am hoping that Allah appreciates his efforts anyway.
    Unfortunately, it will not avail him - unless his heart is opened to:
    - Belief in the Oneness of God,
    - Belief in ALL his prophets, including the final prophet, Muhammed (peace be upon them all),
    - Belief in ALL his books, including His final testiment to man - the Quraan
    - Belief in the Day of Judgement,
    - Belief in the Angels
    - Belief in pre-destination by the will of God

If not:

"And whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

“And We shall turn to whatever deeds they (disbelievers, polytheists, sinners) did, and We shall make such deeds as scattered floating particles of dust” [al-Furqaan 25:23]

This is the unfortunate case of many people.
    The assumption that: 'Im a good person, I do good deeds......therefore, I will surely be rewarded heaven'.

From an Islamic understanding, this is a false assumption.
    And for reasons stated above, a believing man/ woman who may be a sinner is better than a non-believing man/ woman doing good.

Hope this brings more clarity, God-willingly.

On his latest blog, the pastor states:

In other words, I am observing Ramadan BECAUSE I am a follower of Christ, BECAUSE I am a Christian, not because I am secretly harboring doubts about my faith, nor because I am thinking about converting to Islam.

http://newmethofesto.com/2012/08/12/...24-of-ramadan/
    We pray that Allah opens the heart of this pastor to His Oneness, and to this beautiful way of life - Islam.
    Ameen.

Peace.
    chat Quote

sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam alaykum;

I think even this: I´m a good person, I do good deeds, I am muslim..... isn´t any automatic way to heaven. We also need mercy of Allah.

If some non-muslims fast as wanting to understand muslims, I see it only positive thing. As we have to live together in same world, many times even in same country and same community, it is much better if we try to understand each others. By any ways.

And Allah knows best.
    | Likes glo, cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn liked this post

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

Signor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings Glo

Here is something which I found related:

Book Of Matthews

15"Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

16"You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?

17"So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit.

18"A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.

19"Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

20"So then, you will know them by their fruits.

21"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'

23"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.

Also

Romans 2:13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

Islam is not about doing Good Deeds,Its About Submitting your Will TO Allah's Will.Criteria is deed must be right in your Lord's sight e.g For a hungry person having no means of income right thing is to theft or rob someone from his belonging but Will This gives him a legit right to do this....Certainly Not

From Holy Quran

11:23 But those who believe and work righteousness, and humble themselves before their Lord,- They will be companions of the gardens, to dwell therein for aye (Surah Hud)

11:56 I put my trust in Allah, My Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He hath grasp of its fore-lock. Verily, it is my Lord that is on a straight Path. (Surah Hud)

3:20 So if they dispute with thee, say: "I have submitted My whole self to Allah and so have those who follow me." And say to the People of the Book and to those who are unlearned: "Do ye (also) submit yourselves?" If they do, they are in right guidance ('Ali `Imran)

Regards

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    MustafaMc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't fast because I believe I will gain God's favour because of it or earn my salvation; I simply fast (as I said) as my offering and gift to God.
    glo, while I see this thread has merit in building a bridge between our respective communities, this comment illustrates a common misconception of Christians that I perceive as an under-handed slight against Islam. Islam is a way of life that includes worship of Allah in truth (according to the precepts set down by Muhammad (saaws)) and in spirit (with the right intention). We never have the intention of earning our salvation by our practice of Islam, but rather intend to be obedient servants of Allah (swt).

I remind you of Surah Al-Kafirun,
    Say: "O unbelievers! I do not worship those that you worship, neither do you worship Him Whom I worship, nor will I worship those whom you worship, nor are you going to worship Him Whom I worship. To you your religion, and to me, my religion."

What is worship?
    Wikipedia - Worship is an act of religious devotion usually directed towards a deity.
    Merriam-Webster 2: reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also: an act of expressing such reverence 3: a form of religious practice with its creed and ritual

In Islam, there are several prescribed acts of worship, including salah (prayer), sawm (fasting), zakat (poor due), and hajj (pilgrimage) that are done exactly in the manner prescribed by Prophet Muhammad (saaws). Our performance of these acts of obedience are indeed offered as worship of our Creator and we do hope to gain the favor of our Lord, but we never intend by any of them to "earn my salvation". We Muslims know that the intention determines the merit of any deed and who among us can judge his own heart with absolute assurance that his intentions are pure? Do we know for a fact that our acts of devotion are accepted? Do we know for a fact that we did not negate our going without food and water by backbiting our brother? We are always at the mercy of Allah (swt) and we pray for acceptance of our acts of worship and we beg Him for forgiveness of the sins we are aware of and the ones we are not aware of.
    | Likes ~Zaria~ liked this post
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! American Pastor partakes in the holy month of Ramadan Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. American Pastor partakes in the holy month of Ramadan