× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 63 visibility 12509

I attended a Catholic mass

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

So, I visited a cahothilic mass and I noticed a few things that surprised me.

First, I noticed there were no copies of the bible in the pews. There were only song books.

Second, I noticed there was a fold down bench and we were to kneel a lot of the time. That wasn't there in the other christian churches I have been to.

Third, I noticed the priest mix two cups of liquid into a third, dip a cracker in it, sing to the cracker, and eat it. He then fed other crackers to the parishioners for the eucharist.

Fourth, There was a really nice part where he told us all to look around us and shake hands or otherwise say hi to everybody around us. That was a nice surprise.

Fifth, There wasn't really any hate being preached. That was nice to see (or not see).
    | Likes Veritas liked this post
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Hulk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Part-time Avenger
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: I attended a Catholic mass

I went inside a Hindu temple once but it was a school trip and I was too young to remember much of anything, though I remember there being coconuts.
    Last edited by Hulk; 09-18-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    | Likes Scimitar, observer liked this post

RE0IROm 1 - I attended a Catholic mass
    chat Quote

Muhammad's Avatar Administrator
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings Pygoscelis,

May I ask what inspired you to visit a Catholic Mass? And have you visited any other religious gathering before?

chat Quote

dusk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis View Post
    First, I noticed there were no copies of the bible in the pews. There were only song books.
    Catholics are about the symbolic meaning, not so fond of reciting. Catholic church is old compared to protestantism they used to preach in latin. Common people couldn't read the bible.
    Things didn't change so much. Catholics are about the spiritual feeling, while protestants are about the word as they say.
    Second, I noticed there was a fold down bench and we were to kneel a lot of the time. That wasn't there in the other christian churches I have been to.
    I always felt the traditional old Catholic churches are the master of uncomfortable sitting. The benches in our school chapel was such that kneeling was actually more comfortable than sitting.
    Fourth, There was a really nice part where he told us all to look around us and shake hands or otherwise say hi to everybody around us. That was a nice surprise.
    And peace be with you. Is what they always say where I come from.

I once was at a methodist church to get something to tell my father. They got bibles but only look into them 1 or 2 times most of it was singing. The real bible study with Christians is always at separate small group meetings at any hour they have time or interest afaik.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Independent's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by dusk View Post
    I always felt the traditional old Catholic churches are the master of uncomfortable sitting
    This isn't especially important in the greater scheme of things but, interestingly, the habit of providing seating or 'pews' only really came in a few centuries ago, especially with Protestantism. Before then an open plan model was preferred.
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's practice is our church too. It's called 'sharing the peace (God's peace)' - so from a Christian perspective it's a bit more than saying hi.

Fifth, There wasn't really any hate being preached. That was nice to see (or not see).
    I don't think I have ever been to a church service where hate was being preached. It is usually about reflecting on our own actions and how we can live better according to Jesus' teachings.

Mind you, this Sunday our retried priest was preaching and he was talking about the people who don't follow God falling into the groups of fools and scoffers (relating to a passage in Proverbs). I was just thinking to myself "That's a bit judgmental. I wonder where he is going with that" because it sounded like he was having a go at non-Christians ... when in a clever U-turn he turned it around on OURSELVES, challenging us to think when WE act like fools and scoffers and don't follow God.

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - I attended a Catholic mass

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad View Post
    Greetings Pygoscelis,

May I ask what inspired you to visit a Catholic Mass? And have you visited any other religious gathering before?
    Every now and then I visit various religious places of worship, when I have a friend who is or was a follower of that religion. It is socially and culturally interesting to me. This time I went with a girlfriend who is a lapsed Catholic and felt like going (after not having gone for a couple of years).

Oh, one other thing I noticed was that the confession room was not like on TV and movies. There were not two wooden booths to sit in with a small opening for talking, etc. The confession thing was a small room with a small divider which really would only block your face if you were sitting perfectly still. I don't think anybody uses it and I think confession is actually done without anonymity in this particular catholic church.
    Last edited by Pygoscelis; 09-19-2012 at 08:06 AM.
    chat Quote

dusk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I always thought confession to be a ridiculous thing. Why would one need a priest for that?
    chat Quote

Muhammad's Avatar Administrator
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Every now and then I visit various religious places of worship, when I have a friend who is or was a follower of that religion. It is socially and culturally interesting to me. This time I went with a girlfriend who is a lapsed Catholic and felt like going (after not having gone for a couple of years).
    Have you ever visited a Mosque?

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    observer's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I went inside a Hindu temple once but it was a school trip and I was too young to remember much of anything, though I remember there being coconuts.
    That might be the greatest forum posting I've ever seen!
    | Likes Scimitar liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad View Post
    Have you ever visited a Mosque?
    Only for a couple of moments when picking somebody up to drive them home after they worshiped there. I lost touch with that person and so never went with them to an actual service or gathering. Being there was a little more uncomfortable than being at the Catholic church, other Christian churches, Jewish Synagogue, Sikh temple or Hindu temple I have been to, because in the other cases I was brought with somebody and told the dos an don'ts.

When I was briefly at the Mosque I had no guide and back then I knew nothing of the culture and customs of Islam and didn't want to offend anybody at their holy place etc. Good thing I was cautious too. Because out in the parking lot I came very close to walking up to a pair of muslimas in a burka without their husbands present and extended a handshake hello, as was the custom at a church I had gone to the week before. lol On the drive home my friend told me it was a very strict mosque and that would not have been smile on.

I may visit another mosque someday, now that I have more knowledge of what is and is not acceptable behaviour for Muslims. But my next visit is looking like it will be to a Bhuddist temple. I have a friend who goes regularly and has offered to take me along to watch what goes on there.
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by dusk View Post
    I always thought confession to be a ridiculous thing. Why would one need a priest for that?
    I'd agree with that. Nobody should be required or even entitled to absolve another of their sins and mistakes. Either God forgives or he doesn't ...

However, there can be something profound and even healing in sharing one's mistakes with another person one trusts. A bit like sharing and off-loading a burden ...

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

A confession may help an individual. People talking about their sins/problems can be some form of a relief rather than bottling it all up.

That is very interesting.

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^
    TT, sharing God's peace with others is a common practice is some churches. I like it too. It's like saying salaam
    | Likes GuestFellow liked this post

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

cahothilic mass
    That's a denomination I've never heard of, Pygo!
    Last edited by glo; 09-19-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typo

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Scimitar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Loving this thread

Scimi

15noje9 1 - I attended a Catholic mass
    chat Quote

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

why make your fifth point?

was uncalled for

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

Aprender's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Entiende tu deen.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I don't think I have ever been to a church service where hate was being preached. It is usually about reflecting on our own actions and how we can live better according to Jesus' teachings.
    This has only happened to me a few times at church when I used to go as a Christian and I hated it when it did happen. Sometimes the pastor would get up and talk about something wrong that someone did in the congregation and shame them for it. But I will say that was one of the reasons I was trying out new churches from time to time to see which one I liked more because sometimes the pastors would be o_O.

But I did find a few where they weren't like that at all. I enjoyed them because they tried to do a lot with interfaith works to help the community and I found it to be very productive.

It's practice is our church too. It's called 'sharing the peace (God's peace)' - so from a Christian perspective it's a bit more than saying hi.
    I remember this. Once I went to a service where this took up most of the time. I guess that was the point of the sermon that day. My little sister was with us and said she felt annoyed like we were in kindergarten again. Haha.
    Last edited by Aprender; 09-19-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    chat Quote

MustafaMc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'd agree with that. Nobody should be required or even entitled to absolve another of their sins and mistakes. Either God forgives or he doesn't ...
    On this point we agree.
    However, there can be something profound and even healing in sharing one's mistakes with another person one trusts. A bit like sharing and off-loading a burden ...
    In Islam we are encouraged to keep our sins to ourselves and to not share them with people. We ask God directly for forgiveness and we ask others who we have offended or injured to forgive us as well.
    | Likes Danah, Amat Allah liked this post
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    MustafaMc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't think I have ever been to a church service where hate was being preached.
    In September 2010 I travelled 6 hours to the church I grew up in to hear a seminar 'Revealing the Truth about Islam' where an Egyptian Christian, Usama Dakdok, spent 2 hours speaking hatefully about Islam, Muhammad and Muslims. I learned about this seminar by chance after reconnecting with a high school classmate who was the associate pastor at this church.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! I attended a Catholic mass Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. I attended a Catholic mass