× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 6 of 6 visibility 2335

Why Do You Smoke

Signor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Why Do You Smoke

Report bad ads?

Why Do You Smoke

Muhammad Ibraaheem Al-Hamad

All praise is due to Allaah alone; may He exalt the mention of the final of all
    Prophets and Messengers, our Prophet Muhammad, his family and all his
    companions.

Smoking is a dangerous epidemic and a destructive adversity that catches many
    people in its trap. Many of them have live hearts and strong Islamic emotions, yet
    they are afflicted with smoking, and they do not deny its harm, its effects and its
    prohibition; they hope to give it up, and strive to get rid of it. Such people have a
    right upon their brothers to help them and take their hands to the shore of safety.

If you ask any smoker why he smokes, you would receive many different
    answers. Some people smoke when they need relief from depression; others smoke
    to ease the stress of estrangement fro m their families. Some people smoke with
    friends to have fun, while others smoke to rid themselves of worry and anger. There
    are those that smoke to imitate those whom they admire, or perhaps they smoke
    because they have been doing it from a young age an d cannot stop. You will even
    find those who say, “I smoke because it is useful, and I do not believe it is
    prohibited.”

These are generally the excuses smokers give, and based on this, allow me, my
    dear beloved smoking brothers, to discuss this issue with you for a short while, and
    perhaps we will come to a satisfying conclusion.

Beloved brother! Are you not convinced that smoking is prohibited and that it has
    a very bad impact? Don’t you ever think seriously to permanently give it up? You
    would possiblysay, “Yes, but I want to become more convinced that it is harmful so
    that I can give it up.” I would say to you, please lend me your ear and listen with
    your heart to what I am about to say.

x Remember, before anything else, that you are a slave of Allaahwhich entails that
    you submit to Allaah alone. One of the implications of your servitude is that you
    must obey him, because in that is your success. Once this is established, you must
    remember that smoking is one of the Khabaa’ith (any evil or harmful act); it is a
    form of wasting money; you kill yourself by smoking; you are leading yourself to
    destruction; you harm other Muslims. Do these things express your obedience to
    Allaah or disobedience to Allaah?

x Smoking keeps people away from you and from sittingnext to you, or even
    greeting you because your smell does not encourage them to do that.

x Smoking might deprive you from having children because it weakens your sexual
    ability and it could lead a person to become sterile.

x If you do beget children, they mig ht have defects, or be handicapped or
    Mongoloid.

x Everybody wishes what is best for his children, but if you are a smoker the result
    will be the exact opposite of this.

x Smoking prevents you from keeping ties with your parents and kinship, because
    you would avoid smoking around. What good would be expected from a deed
    which would deprive you from being around your relatives and eventually sever
    ties with them.

x By smoking you support the economy of the enemies of our Muslim nation who
    fight us day and night.

x Smoking threatens your life, for most of the manufacturers’ death cases are due to
    smoking as medical researches proved. Millions of people die yearly due to
    smoking. Not only does smoking cause death, it also makes smokers suffer in the
    last few years of their lives.

x Smoking deprives you from true happiness; how would anyone rejoice while his
    life is full of sicknesses and always endangered.

x Smoking affects your mind, weakens your ability to think and makes you lazy
    according to studies which were conductedin some of the western countries.

x Smoking makes you subject to strokes, heart attacks and sudden death.

x Smoking harms your eyes and causes many eye diseases, like infection of eyelid
    and eye nerves and could develop to blinding the person.

x Smoking decreases your rank amongst people and weakens you determination.

x Smoking makes worshipping feel heavy, instigates you to mix with evil people,
    and makes you avoid being around virtuous people.

x Smoking weakens your body and power.

x Smoking badly affects almost every part of your body.

x Smoking is one of the main causes of cancer.

x Smoking causes cavities in teeth, gum infections, makes the teeth dirty and
    changes their color, and causes soreness to the tongue and the mouth.

x Smoking causes asthma, labored breathing, c oughing, weakens the lungs,
    difficulty in digestion, brain stroke, constipation, headaches, weakens the
    immunity system and diphtheria.

Beloved brother! Are you not yet convinced? Isn’t there enough of a reminder in
    what was mentioned for he who has an a ttentive heart and gives ear while he is
    heedful? Most likely you would say yes; therefore, I ask you, when will you give it
    up? You would probably say, tomorrow or the day after, or that you would try to give
    up later. If so, then you are not yet convinced and will continue to smoke, and will
    never stop. You might say, “No, indeed I am convinced, but it is difficult to stop, and
    I am afraid to stop now and go back to it again.”

Beloved brother! What is the solution then? Do we stop at a dead end with you
    and accept that you will continue to smoke until smoking leads you to destruction?
    You would naturally say, no, brother, the situation is not that bad. So, what is the
    solution? Perhaps you might be inclined to try something else to avoid the harmful
    effects of smoking cigarettes, so you might decide to smoke a pipe, thinking that it
    will be less harmful. Don’t you know that all that has been mentioned applies to
    smoking the pipe as well, and all similar things? You might reply saying, “I will
    switch to a type which is lighter than the one I am smoking now, which would have
    less nicotine, which will reduce the harm.”

This is a great deception you will fall into due to the following:

x It has been proven that this leads to smoking a higher number of cigarettes.

x Smokers take a higher number of puffs in each cigarette.

x Smokers inhale smoke deeper and keep it longer in their lungs to make up for the
    nicotine that they miss in the lighter cigarettes.

All of the above result in absorbing more nicotine, and it happens without the
    smoker noticing it. Therefore, how could you resort to such a solution? If you think
    that your previous attempt to give up smoking were to no avail, I would tell you,
    brother do not give up hope, because every disease has a cure, every pro blem has a
    solution, each lock has a key.

What is the solution, you might ask? I say, give up smoking immediately and
    forever.
    You might say with anxiousness, how? And what is the way to achieve that? How
    do I rescue myself from this dangerous habit? Is there a useful method and a
    successful means? I will answer you saying, you will find what you are looking for if
    you exert the effort and utilize the means. Listen attentively and open your heart, and
    with the will of Allaah, you will find all the answers that you are looking for. The
    following are things that will help you stop smoking:

x Remembering the harmful effects of smoking and that it is prohibited.

x Sincere repentance to your Lord, and going back to your senses before smoking
    ruins your body, and before death attacks you suddenly, so do not delay.

x Seeking the help of Allaah, and supplicating to Him with insistence that He helps
    you stop smoking.

x Establishing your prayer because it prevents you from all that is evil and harmful.

x Fasting, because it is an advice from the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam
    which strengthens determination, enhances manners and enables fighting ones
    desires.

x Reciting the Quran, for it has guidance in it to that which is best; exaggerating in
    the remembrance of Allaah, you will feel tranquility and calmness; taking refuge
    in Allaah from Satan, because it Satan who decorates this sin for you.

x Remembering the benefits of giving up smoking.

x Remembering that whosoever gives up anything for the sake of Allaah, Allaah
    will replace it with something better. Allaah replaces with different things, like
    feeling content with Allaah, loving Allaah, and feeling calm and tranquil upon
    remembering Allaah.

x Remembering the reward of giving up smoking, because the more difficult it is to
    give up a sin the more the reward is.

x Remembering that by giving up smoking you rescue yourself from serious and
    actual harm.

x Remembering the sweetness of winning against your desires.

x Comparing between the claimed enjoyment of smoking and the severe harm
    resulting from it.

x True and strong determination.

x Perseverance, especially in the beginning, because it is heavy when you start
    giving it up, but it is never difficult or impossible. With perseverance, this
    difficulty gradually fades away, until the smokerbecomes accustomed to the new
    situation of giving up smoking. The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallamsaid,
    “He who strives to persevere, Allaah will enable him to persevere”. Imaam ibn
    Al -Qayyimmay Allaah have mercy upon him, said, ‘Those who give up something
    for reasons other than for the sake of Allaah find it difficult to give up what they
    are used to and have as a habit; but those who give something up sincerely for the
    sake of Allaah, will find no difficulty except in the very beginning, because Allaah
    will test him to see whether he is truthful or not; so if he perseveres in the
    beginning he will taste the sweetness after that’.You always have to remember
    that it is easier to persevere giving up smoking than it would be to persevere the
    harsh punishment in the Hereafter.

x Being wary of despair; you might try to stop smoking more than one time and fail,
    or you might stop it for as while then return to it again. Don’t let this make you
    give up, and don’t allow that feeling to creep up to your heart, and keep trying
    until you succeed.

x Staying away from bad company, or anything that reminds you of smoking.

x Avoiding listening to smokers who would try to hinder your trials, relying on
    Allaah, and challenging yourself to achieve your objective with the will of Allaah.

x If you feel that you are too weak to stop immediately, then stop gradually until
    you completely stop.

x Seeking the help of others who could help, like doctors and righteous people.

Finally, I ask Allaah to help you, guide you, and to make belief dear to you and
    beautify it in your heart, and to make hated to you disbelief and sinning, and to make
    you from those who are rightly guided.
    | Likes Eric H, Jedi_Mindset, Veritas, iRock liked this post
    Why Do You Smoke

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Veritas's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Why Do You Smoke

I have said this to brother Scimitar before, trying to urge him to stop smoking.

My step-father died 12 months ago from cancer. From the age of about 16 to the age of 42 or so, he smoked up to 60 cigarettes a day. He died at the age of 78, so a full 35 years or so after stopping smoking.

Cancer is a horrible disease. It can riddle the body without showing any symptoms.

My step-father first thought something was wrong from blood in his urine. He was diagnosed with very early stage bladder cancer. This was successfully treated ... but involved having a catheter inserted into his penis and chemotherapy liquid poured down the tube to part fill his bladder. He had to then slowly roll around, like a rotisserie chicken, to coat his bladder with the liquid.

We thought everything was fine, then 12 months later, he had stroke like symptoms ... he had cancerous lesions on his brain. He had brain surgery and if was removed. It was then learnt that he had a primary tumour in his lung ... no doubt caused by 25+ years of heavy smoking. That tumour spawned secondaries in the bladder and who knows where else.

Extensive chemo and radiotherapy then ensued ... but he didn't recover. The treatment had weakened him sk badly he had no will to fight back against the disease.

It is horrible seeing a loved one wither away and die from cancer.

Please bear this message in mind when you next have a cigarette.
    | Likes Eric H liked this post
    chat Quote

crimsontide06's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

never smoked, never even had the urge too...
    chat Quote

Cabdullahi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Why Do You Smoke?
    I cannot help it to be honest...after having smoked salmon...it wasn't peer pressure or anything my mum cooked and she called me over and said 'boy you gonna smoke that salmon!' 'have it with the rice!'', in the end i had no choice but to smoke the salmon
    | Likes Eric H liked this post
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    crimsontide06's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by cabdullahi View Post
    i cannot help it to be honest...after having smoked salmon...it wasn't peer pressure or anything my mum cooked and she called me over and said 'boy you gonna smoke that salmon!' 'have it with the rice!'', in the end i had no choice but to smoke the salmon

lol!!!!!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I never smoke , it's not good at all .
    chat Quote

9. Hide
Hey there! Why Do You Smoke Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Why Do You Smoke