star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Long time Catholic in love with a Muslim

Report bad ads?

I am a 58 year old man in the Washington DC area. Father of Irish descent and mother of Spanish descent. I grew up Catholic, socially liberal, went to Catholic schools, college educated, professional, ran my own business, married, divorced, adult children, taught religious sunday school for over 12 years, studied and read a lot of theology books and authors, and have been a good Christian for nearly 40 years. I've had enough of the hypocritical and intolerance of so-called good religious people. Oh and I'm I'm love with a practicing Muslim woman. I know the rules about that muslim men vs. muslim women, which i understand is one of those cultural Rules that give rights to men but not to women. The answers I've heard may apply to young families, but do not make sense to couples who are not raising children. Even the Catholic Church allows for interfaith marriages as long as the couple goes through education classes to be sure they have a solid understanding of the differences. Besides i only worship one God. That's it. It's in our Creed. One of the things I'm most impressed with is the reverence she has for her faith. It's very similar to my upbringing. I'm fascinated by the discussions I've read so far and want to talk to my Catholic and Muslim brothers and sisters here.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Iceee's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Long time Catholic in love with a Muslim

Salaam.

Welcome to our forums.
    chat Quote

YusufNoor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Oh and I'm I'm love with a practicing Muslim woman. I know the rules about that muslim men vs. muslim women, which i understand is one of those cultural Rules that give rights to men but not to women.

both men and women have rights. men aren't protected from unbelieving women as women are so protected from unbelievers. a marriage with you could end up with the sister being forced to viloate her faith. if you love her and want to help protect her from the hellfire, become a Muslim. if not, leave the sister alone.

you most assuredly DO NOT believe in 1 God. as a Catholic, you are a trinitarian. whether you think that is 3 gods in 1, or 1 god in three, you still have 3. and prayer is worship, so you're "hail Mary's" add a 4th. if you truly want to be a monotheist, learn about Islam.

peace
    | Likes MustafaMc, جوري, tw009 liked this post

Had the non-believer known of all the Mercy which is in the Hands of Allah, he would not lose hope of entering Paradise, and had the believer known of all the punishment which is present with Allah, he would not consider himself safe from the Hell-Fire
    http://www.muftimenk.co.za/Downloads.html
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Oh and I'm I'm love with a practicing Muslim woman. I know the rules about that muslim men vs. muslim women, which i understand is one of those cultural Rules that give rights to men but not to women.
    You're in love with a Muslim woman but is she also in love with you? If she is then that is not allowed in Islam. Also she is not allowed to marry a man from outside of Islam, you are considered a kufr (non believer).

I agree with bro. Yusuf that Catholics believe in 3 gods and not one no matter however they want to deny it.

I suggest you learn more about Islam and read the English translations of the Holy Qur'an with an open mind. Ask Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala to guide you to the Truth and the Straight Path.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    IAmZamzam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Guys, you are not helping him right now! How do you think you'd react if you were in his shoes right now?

Look, Timothy, what exactly is it you want to know? I'd like to help you if I can but I'm not sure what it is you want from us. Or was any of that a request? Was it just complaining?
    Last edited by IAmZamzam; 03-19-2013 at 03:26 AM.
    | Likes Eric H, Qurratul Ayn, ژاله, Amigo liked this post

Peace be to any prophets I may have mentioned above. Praised and exalted be my Maker, if I have mentioned Him. (Come to think of it praise Him anyway.)
    chat Quote

Iceee's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm I'm love with a practicing Muslim woman
    Hi,

You need to provide more information for us to help you, what exactly do you want?
    About the part I quoted, is it love on first sight? Are you talking to her everyday? Does she look at you or notice you? Are you two dating?

If you see her and seem to like her, your best bet is to talk to her parents. In order to even have a chance to get her parents' approval, you need to convert to Islam. Don't think you have a chance:
    I am a 58 year old man in the Washington DC area. Father of Irish descent and mother of Spanish descent. I grew up Catholic, socially liberal, went to Catholic schools, college educated, professional, ran my own business, married, divorced, adult children, taught religious sunday school for over 12 years, studied and read a lot of theology books and authors, and have been a good Christian for nearly 40 years.
    If you are 58 years old, then your chances of getting married will be much lower especially since you have gotten divorced. How old is she?

If you and her are talking to one another everyday, then I cannot and will not help a Muslim woman and a Catholic Man. No offense.
    Last edited by Iceee; 03-19-2013 at 04:41 AM.
    chat Quote

Naeema's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam,

Welcome. We can be a tough bunch (the mods have their hands full with trolls) but there are people of different faiths here in a lively conversation. God willing, it will be a good place for you too.

I lived in a convent for several years as a young woman and attended a Catholic university. While I left the Church during a dark night of the soul, I still have some fond memories of kneeling on beeswax-rubbed floors in the wee hours before dawn. As it happens, it is that appreciation for God in darkness and a strong sense of charity that drew me to Islam now.

While love is beautiful, there is no provision in Islam like a Dispensation of Disparity of Cult. I will pray for you both that a path become clear to you. I think it would be quite interesting to discuss your questions and views in the comparative religion forum.

-Naeema
    | Likes Eric H, Qurratul Ayn, Madinah22 liked this post
    chat Quote

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    which lamb?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

A Kufr is somebody who COVERS up the truth, one who has been presented with and fully understands the message being given and THEN rejects it or behaves as though it doesn't exist. We should refrain from calling anybody that as you have no clue of what is in a persons heart. Way to make a good impression of Muslims. You also don't have a clue as to what the hail mary's really are. *facepalm*

Brother Timothy first I apologize for the comments you received as soon as you walked in here. Second, we do need more details in order to understand what the problem is. If you want to marry this woman, you do have to be Muslim as non muslim men are prohibited for Muslim women. It isn't simply a cultural thing, it is ordained by Allah and there's wisdom behind that.

I reverted to Islam from catholicism, so I'm familiar with your beliefs. I hope that we can be of help to you God willing.

- cOsMiC
    chat Quote

Muslim Woman's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    Super Moderator
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam/ Peace

Welcome here .

God Almighty did not allow mulsim women to marry non Muslims.

I sugeest that u study about Islam . If u ever feel that Islam is the Truth , then accept it . Only then u 2 can marry .

May God help u to find out the truth.

Christ will never be proud to reject to be a slave to God .....holy Quran, chapter Women , 4: 172

recitation:http://quran.jalisi.com
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Amat Allah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Slave of Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings,

Welcome my respected and noble brother to islamic board as a new precious member of our big family...

Please, search the different sections of the forum so, you can find some answers for Qs you may have and if not just ask us your brothers and sisters and we will try to help ya after our Lord, Lord Willing.

for that Muslim sister you know my noble brother; if you wanna marry her then ask her and see what she will answer ya and if she is a really practicing muslimah then she will tell ya the truth and help ya to understand, God Willing.

and I assure you my respected brother that we muslim women have all rights and more; Islam came and gave us all beauty and happiness; we are so honored and protected with this way of life which our Creator blessed us with and if islam wasn't fair with females then why would many non muslims embrace it???

and about the matter of the muslim woman not marrying a non muslim then you are a man my respected brother and you do know how females are so emotional following their hearts more than mind and sense...and if marrying a non muslim then that may affect her faith and even the children she will have in the future that's why Lord is trying to protect us as faithful slaves and servants giving us the best always and also saving this amazing and pure way of life from vanishing, changing, weakening and be corrupted.

Honestly, as a muslim female i swear by The One Who has my soul in His Hand that I am happy and have all my rights in full and more from my Lord and every time I see how much wisdom and mercy are hidden behind each and every single teaching and rulling of this religion of God, indeed it is from God, All Praise, Thanks and Glory be to The Only One Who deserves to Be worshipped The Most Compassionate The Most Merciful The All Knowing and Wise.

I respect you my brother no matter who you are , what you are and where you are and I really wish ya happiness. May Allah lead your way to the path of the endless happiness giving ya the best always and forever Ameeeeeen

Take the best care of your precious self, God Willing.

Leaving you under Allah's sight, care and protection...

Humbly and with all respect, your sister:

Amat Allah.
    | Likes Eric H, ژاله liked this post

sapvas2xc6e9di1ikgif 1 - Long time Catholic in love with a Muslim
    chat Quote

Timothy's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wow. I appreciate your kind words. I do indeed believe there is only one God. I do believe Catholics get confused about the symantics of the language in our Nicene Creed... "I believe in one God maker of heaven and earth..." As Muslims are afraid to as theological questions for fear of being criticized harshly. I can see that in a few of the comments. That's a barrier that, Inshallah, you can overcome. My faith says "we believe in one God" is the declarative statement of faith. Any reference of how we experience God is a literary expression as God made language, as he made us in His image, as art is to sight, sound is to hearing, and fragrances are to smell. I understand the importance and avoidance to idols, but thats not idol worship; but one could use the extreme of the use of currency could be construed as worshiping money in our hearts. God gave use the ability to have free association of expression to experience the world as well as to thank him for His beautiful creation, Alh.
    | Likes Pygoscelis liked this post
    chat Quote

IslamicRevival's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee View Post
    Hi,

You need to provide more information for us to help you, what exactly do you want?
    About the part I quoted, is it love on first sight? Are you talking to her everyday? Does she look at you or notice you? Are you two dating?

If you see her and seem to like her, your best bet is to talk to her parents. In order to even have a chance to get her parents' approval, you need to convert to Islam. Don't think you have a chance:

If you are 58 years old, then your chances of getting married will be much lower especially since you have gotten divorced. How old is she?

If you and her are talking to one another everyday, then I cannot and will not help a Muslim woman and a Catholic Man. No offense.
    With all due respect, this isn't the Jeremy Kyle or Trisha show. Chillax
    Timothy, i sincerely hope and pray you find your way to the straight path. Allah guides whom he wills
    | Likes Qurratul Ayn liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thank you for your very kind words. With all due respect, women may have a better verbal skills than men but it doesn't discount their emotional intelligence over logic and reason. On the contrary, when women take leadership roles, it shows a balance and maturity that often men lack. It makes men work harder at analyzing issues rather than formatting paternalistic attitudes that thwart intelligent women's rights. God made men and women equal in all thing, yet we have our physical gender differences, in His image and likeness. Respect and caring is the fundemental is the essence of love, which requires feelings and critical thinking skills that men and women can share. I believe as you said, we are servants of God, and we express that in our actions to one another. Jesus said (peace be upon him) love Go with your whole heart, soul, and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself. This fulfills the whole law.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thanks for your kind words. What was your training or experience as a Christian before reverting? I find symantics in the differences.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    MustafaMc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I know the rules about that muslim men vs. muslim women, which i understand is one of those cultural Rules that give rights to men but not to women.
    Perhaps you do not see a distinction between religious and cultural rules, but Muslims accept as a part of their religion certain rules that may seem cultural to outsiders. Such religious rules may include male circumcision, hijab, men allowed up to 4 wives, and women forbidden to marry anyone except a Muslim. Forget the fact that this Muslimah would be turning away from a clearly accepted Islamic requirement for her marry only another believer, a man is seen as the leader of the family and would likely lead her further into disobedience of Muhammad's sunnah. Say, for example, you love bacon, eggs, toast and orange juice for breakfast and you want her to cook you pork products that she may eventually start eating as well. As a Catholic, you may want a statue of the Madonna or a crucifix with the image of Jesus on a cross in your home which is clearly forbidden in Islam.

Christians say they believe in One God (as I did when I was a Christian), but they also believe that Jesus was at the same time the only begotten Son of God and God Incarnate. This belief about Jesus is refuted over and over again in the Qur'an and it is an article of Islamic faith to reject this belief as false. Surah Ikhlas illustrates this clearly and succinctly, "Say: He is Allah, the One! Allah, the eternally Besought of all! He begets not nor was begotten. And there is none comparable unto Him." We also reject the notion that we were created in the physical image of God, which clearly implies that we humans are comparable in appearance to God, astaghfir Allah (may Allah forgive me).
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

While love is beautiful, there is no provision in Islam like a Dispensation of Disparity of Cult. I will pray for you both that a path become clear to you. I think it would be quite interesting to discuss your questions and views in the comparative religion forum.

-Naeema[/QUOTE]

I found even in Christianity some groups go to great lengths to show "unequally yoked" issues but forget that it's only to preserve the institution and keep people from asking real questions. I believe we have more in common that unites us than seperates us from the love of God. A priest told me one time, every man of faith questions their faith sometimes, but isn't it God who prays within us that gives us the gift of faith? If show love, are we not acting out his love within us? I do love this woman, yet she says she cannot marry me unless I revert. But it's not the religion that marries us, we marry each other. I know this sounds like hogwash to some, but really it's true.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc View Post
    Perhaps you do not see a distinction between religious and cultural rules, but Muslims accept as a part of their religion certain rules that may seem cultural to outsiders. Such religious rules may include male circumcision, hijab, men allowed up to 4 wives, and women forbidden to marry anyone except a Muslim. Forget the fact that this Muslimah would be turning away from a clearly accepted Islamic requirement for her marry only another believer, a man is seen as the leader of the family and would likely lead her further into disobedience of Muhammad's sunnah. Say, for example, you love bacon, eggs, toast and orange juice for breakfast and you want her to cook you pork products that she may eventually start eating as well. As a Catholic, you may want a statue of the Madonna or a crucifix with the image of Jesus on a cross in your home which is clearly forbidden in Islam.

Christians say they believe in One God (as I did when I was a Christian), but they also believe that Jesus was at the same time the only begotten Son of God and God Incarnate. This belief about Jesus is refuted over and over again in the Qur'an and it is an article of Islamic faith to reject this belief as false. Surah Ikhlas illustrates this clearly and succinctly, "Say: He is Allah, the One! Allah, the eternally Besought of all! He begets not nor was begotten. And there is none comparable unto Him." We also reject the notion that we were created in the physical image of God, which clearly implies that we humans are comparable in appearance to God, astaghfir Allah (may Allah forgive me).
    Nobody believes that! Even Fundementalist Christians that i find as small minded would not say that "image and likeness of God says we look like him. That's a complete wrong notion. It's a Metaphor. God made us to Love. God made us equally to each other. You express it like we do when you worship... Rich man, poor man, black women and white women. We were made to love God and each other. Symbols are not real. The are artistic reminders of our faith like photos if your family you have on your wall but less realistic. Iconoclast expressions are like texting without pictures.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thank you
    chat Quote

MustafaMc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Timothy, it is not a far stretch from "he made us in His image" to believing that a human being born to a virgin, Jesus, is God. What Christian does not believe that Jesus was God Incarnate? I remind you of the definition for image, "a reproduction or imitation of the form of a person or thing; especially : an imitation in solid form". If you want to claim that "image" in your use is metaphorical, then you can also say that Jesus is not REALLY the literal, physical Son of God (astaghfir Allah), but rather metaphorically so to reflect an intimate relationship.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Loren View Post
    You're in love with a Muslim woman but is she also in love with you? If she is then that is not allowed in Islam. Also she is not allowed to marry a man from outside of Islam, you are considered a kufr (non believer).

I agree with bro. Yusuf that Catholics believe in 3 gods and not one no matter however they want to deny it.

I suggest you learn more about Islam and read the English translations of the Holy Qur'an with an open mind. Ask Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala to guide you to the Truth and the Straight Path.
    We believe in one God. You should re-read the neceed creed again. First line say, we believe in one God.

The Catholic Church has also a high regard for the Muslims. They worship God, who is one, living and subsistent, merciful and almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth, who has also spoken to men. They strive to submit themselves without reserve to the hidden decrees of God, just as Abraham submitted himself to God's plan, to whose faith Muslims eagerly link their own.

I believe in one God too and have more in common than you give credit.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Long time Catholic in love with a Muslim Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Long time Catholic in love with a Muslim